The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 5 April 2012, 05:52 PM   #1
bcacncnc
"TRF" Member

New PO question

I have the older PO with the 2500c movement. Does the latest PO with the 8500 movement have applied numerals for the 12, 6 and 9 on the dial or is is printed?
Grand Seiko
bcacncnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2012, 06:37 PM   #2
Dweller of the Sea
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
They are applied. The orange are painted, but still applied
Dweller of the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2012, 01:25 AM   #3
JEC

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
The dial is muuuuuch nicer, stunning. Has a metallic grained finish and really bright lume compared to the older model.
JEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2012, 01:26 AM   #4
Survivor
Banned

Watch: DSSD
You can't tell the difference from a foot away. The money saved by purchasing a BNIB PO XL 2500 is more than worth it!!!!!!
Survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2012, 05:35 AM   #5
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survivor View Post
You can't tell the difference from a foot away. The money saved by purchasing a BNIB PO XL 2500 is more than worth it!!!!!!
I see it the other way, the upgrades are well worth the money. I usually dislike models that have been changed, like the submariner line, pure jewelery these days.

Then you have the PO line, the upgrades are so fantastic, it is worth every penny. I would never own a old PO with the 2500, they are a nightmare waiting to happen.

I love the matt grey ceramic insert, the matt dial is stunning compared to the gloss old PO. The movement is 1000% better and on and on, it can now directly compete with the Sub, were the old PO was not even close to the same league.
Old 6 April 2012, 06:59 AM   #6
InTime
Banned

what is the diff in pricing???? between old and new?
InTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2012, 07:35 AM   #7
MCV
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GO Sport Evo
'Nightmare waiting to happen?' Please explain. I know the co-ax movements where bothersome at some point.

TIA,

-Marc
MCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2012, 08:30 AM   #8
Docar
"TRF" Member

I've had my P.O. 2500 for about three years now.

Haven't encountered a nightmare yet. When should I expect it?
Docar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2012, 08:53 AM   #9
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

My 8500 is gaining .3 second per day. I think that is freaking AWESOME.
xjeeunitx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2012, 02:21 AM   #10
Survivor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatp View Post
I see it the other way, the upgrades are well worth the money. I usually dislike models that have been changed, like the submariner line, pure jewelery these days.

Then you have the PO line, the upgrades are so fantastic, it is worth every penny. I would never own a old PO with the 2500, they are a nightmare waiting to happen.

I love the matt grey ceramic insert, the matt dial is stunning compared to the gloss old PO. The movement is 1000% better and on and on, it can now directly compete with the Sub, were the old PO was not even close to the same league.

The movement is way better but it will make no difference to 99.9% of people who buy this watch. The washed out grey ceramic bezel versus the iconic shiny metal bezel again, just a matter of taste.

As far as a nightmare waiting to happen on the 2500 movement...........there were problems early on in the so called "A" and "B' series movements. Most POs came with "C" movements therefore "nightmares" rarely occur. If you don't think they'll ever be a problem with an 8500 movement, then I have some swamp land in Florida......

To each his own. If you want to piss away $2,000-$3,000 more to have the latest and greatest, be my guest. Different strokes for different folks. I bought mine new, earlier this year for $2,750 out the door from a AD in Nevada. Couldn't imagine spending $2,000 or more for the new PO, even though it is a thing of beauty. If it was the only Omega PO model out, then of course I would have to consider it.

At the end of the day, you can't go wrong with either
Attached Images
File Type: png 22005300-20-1.png (148.2 KB, 161 views)
Old 7 April 2012, 02:37 AM   #11
agentmulder

Quote:
The movement is way better but it will make no difference to 99.9% of people who buy this watch.

As far as a nightmare waiting to happen on the 2500 movement...........there were problems early on in the so called "A" and "B' series movements. Most POs came with "C" movements therefore "nightmares" rarely occur. If you don't think they'll ever be a problem with an 8500 movement, then I have some swamp land in Florida......

To each his own. If you want to piss away $2,000-$3,000 more to have the latest and greatest, be my guest. Different strokes for different folks.:

Where are you getting your info??? It is clear you have no idea what you are talking about.

There are quite a few people who prefer the "B" 2500 over the "C" version. But i don't believe any PO's came with the A or B.

And to say the new movement won't make a difference to 99.9% of the people who buy it......well thats just plain Stupid. The 8500 movement is a marvel of modern watchmaking. And i would say that is what attracts 99.9% of people to buy watches that contain it.

IMHO you really should up more before posting.
agentmulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2012, 02:56 AM   #12
InTime
Banned

i like the C... the 8500 is too expensive
InTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2012, 02:58 AM   #13
rob541
"TRF" Member

I have had both

I wasn't phased by the increase in price enough to keep me from buying one. I think the 8500 is a much more nicely finished watch.

From the applied numbers...

To the quality of the hands and new (and much improved) bezel and the upgrade to the bracelet (even though I have mine on mesh).

To each his own - they are all great watches.

Rob
rob541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2012, 04:13 AM   #14
MCV
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GO Sport Evo
Good info to know all the way around. The new one is a beauty, but I'll have to tolerate my 'old' one for now!

Cheers,

-Marc
MCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2012, 07:32 AM   #15
Survivor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentmulder View Post
Where are you getting your info??? It is clear you have no idea what you are talking about.

There are quite a few people who prefer the "B" 2500 over the "C" version. But i don't believe any PO's came with the A or B.

And to say the new movement won't make a difference to 99.9% of the people who buy it......well thats just plain Stupid. The 8500 movement is a marvel of modern watchmaking. And i would say that is what attracts 99.9% of people to buy watches that contain it.

IMHO you really should up more before posting.
Sounds like you've taken too many pucks to the head.........the vast majority 99.9% of the public, don't spend their time on watch forums. They see a watch they like, they buy it............they could care less about minor innovations or even major ones. The handful of watch buyers that post or read forums are obviously much more attuned to every little change and obsess on them.......nothing wrong with that..........i love to do it as well. When you start calling people stupid, when you're the one that sounds like an idiot, that's where we have a problem.

My 2200.53.00 will last just as long as the new caliber 8500, will give me just as many hours of enjoyment as the new watch/movement and no one will ever know or care about whether or not I have the new model or not (certainly I don't). Trying to rationalize your love for the 8500 by calling others stupid just shows me the level you play at..............a level I'd be happy to play at with you if only we face to face.

Both are wonderful watches and Omega keeps getting better and better
Old 7 April 2012, 11:21 AM   #16
agentmulder

Quote:
Sounds like you've taken too many pucks to the head.........the vast majority 99.9% of the public, don't spend their time on watch forums. They see a watch they like, they buy it............they could care less about minor innovations or even major ones. The handful of watch buyers that post or read forums are obviously much more attuned to every little change and obsess on them.......nothing wrong with that..........i love to do it as well. When you start calling people stupid, when you're the one that sounds like an idiot, that's where we have a problem.

My 2200.53.00 will last just as long as the new caliber 8500, will give me just as many hours of enjoyment as the new watch/movement and no one will ever know or care about whether or not I have the new model or not (certainly I don't). Trying to rationalize your love for the 8500 by calling others stupid just shows me the level you play at..............a level I'd be happy to play at with you if only we face to face.

Both are wonderful watches and Omega keeps getting better and better

lol.....you are a riot.

You think just the people on watch forums are the informed one's??? Do you really beileve the average Joe will walk into an Omega Boutique and buy a 6000-8000 watch because it looks good on the outside???

Or, maybe, pick the model He/She likes and go home to read up on it before dropping the coin. You know, check out the little things....like what the Movement is like and if it's durable, look for comments from people who own it.

And here's a quote from you in the Planet Ocean Rant Thread

"The OP is an embarrassment to anyone that has ever worn a watch with a date function..............this thread could clearly win for the most inane one ever started"

So, in truth, it is I, who is coming down to your level......but just this one last time.

Remember
Old 7 April 2012, 11:28 AM   #17
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The movement is way better but it will make no difference to 99.9% of people who buy this watch. The washed out grey ceramic bezel versus the iconic shiny metal bezel again, just a matter of taste.

To each his own. If you want to piss away $2,000-$3,000 more to have the latest and greatest, be my guest. Different strokes for different folks. I bought mine new, earlier this year for $2,750 out the door from a AD in Nevada. Couldn't imagine spending $2,000 or more for the new PO, even though it is a thing of beauty. If it was the only Omega PO model out, then of course I would have to consider it.

At the end of the day, you can't go wrong with either
Latest and greatest, that is not me at all. I am very outspoken about how much I dislike the changes to the sub line, so I am no way a latest and greatest kind of guy. You get that from the fact that I prefer the new ceramic PO's, really? I personally would never own a Omega with the 2500, and that is advice from many that have owned them. Some of them were great for many years, then they stopped. They are without a doubt, a NIGHTMAIRE WAITING TO HAPPEN.

The older PO's IMHO and the opinion of many, have faulty movements. Just talk to a watchmaker who has knowledge about the movement, they have a design flaw. I have had multiple friends who have been without their PO's for many, many weeks trying to get them fixed and yes, some of them were the C's, so the problems did not end with the B's.
Old 7 April 2012, 11:39 AM   #18
Survivor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentmulder View Post
lol.....you are a riot.

You think just the people on watch forums are the informed one's??? Do you really beileve the average Joe will walk into an Omega Boutique and buy a 6000-8000 watch because it looks good on the outside???

Or, maybe, pick the model He/She likes and go home to read up on it before dropping the coin. You know, check out the little things....like what the Movement is like and if it's durable, look for comments from people who own it.

And here's a quote from you in the Planet Ocean Rant Thread

"The OP is an embarrassment to anyone that has ever worn a watch with a date function..............this thread could clearly win for the most inane one ever started"

So, in truth, it is I, who is coming down to your level......but just this one last time.

Remember
The average Joe is plucking down $6,000-$10,000 on a watch.......most people buy a certain brand of watch as a status symbol.......they couldn't tell you the difference between one model to another of any other brand. Take a casual survey of people that you meet in business or socially at a gathering (not necessarily close friends)........you'll find often they are wearing a Rolex or Omega or Iwc, etc. and can't even tell you what model they are wearing. They bought it 'cause they got the money, its a Rolex and it looks and feels great. If you think about the hundreds of thousands of high end watches sold around the world and believe people are knowledgeable as to what's inside and what's the difference between brands then I'm just going to have to say we'll have to agree to disagree. Most people I know where really nice watches and don't know a thing about them other than what I said before.......they look and wear great and they have brand name recognition and status.
Old 7 April 2012, 11:46 AM   #19
Survivor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatp View Post
Latest and greatest, that is not me at all. I am very outspoken about how much I dislike the changes to the sub line, so I am no way a latest and greatest kind of guy. You get that from the fact that I prefer the new ceramic PO's, really? I personally would never own a Omega with the 2500, and that is advice from many that have owned them. Some of them were great for many years, then they stopped. They are without a doubt, a NIGHTMAIRE WAITING TO HAPPEN.

The older PO's IMHO and the opinion of many, have faulty movements. Just talk to a watchmaker who has knowledge about the movement, they have a design flaw. I have had multiple friends who have been without their PO's for many, many weeks trying to get them fixed and yes, some of them were the C's, so the problems did not end with the B's.
So happy you set me straight.............I will be throwing my caliber 2500 into the trash tomorrow so that I will never have to deal with the impending nightmare of the possibility that my watch may stop. I feel so much better now........whew!!!!!!
Old 7 April 2012, 02:26 PM   #20
Hoppyjr
"TRF" Member

The price difference at MSRP is between $1400-$1700, which should translate to a "street price" difference of around $1400 +/-

posted using Tapatalk
Hoppyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2012, 11:56 PM   #21
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So happy you set me straight.............I will be throwing my caliber 2500 into the trash tomorrow so that I will never have to deal with the impending nightmare of the possibility that my watch may stop. I feel so much better now........whew!!!!!!
I wish you the best with your watch, and I understand why you are defending it. You spent your hard earned money on it, you should be happy and defend your purchase.

My only point is that the new PO's are well worth the little bit of extra cash, you are getting so much more for your money with the new ceramic PO's. Piece of mind that you are getting a watch with a solid movement is worth $1000 IMHO.
Old 8 April 2012, 12:13 AM   #22
agentmulder

Quote:
The average Joe is plucking down $6,000-$10,000 on a watch.......most people buy a certain brand of watch as a status symbol.......they couldn't tell you the difference between one model to another of any other brand. Take a casual survey of people that you meet in business or socially at a gathering (not necessarily close friends)........you'll find often they are wearing a Rolex or Omega or Iwc, etc. and can't even tell you what model they are wearing. They bought it 'cause they got the money, its a Rolex and it looks and feels great. If you think about the hundreds of thousands of high end watches sold around the world and believe people are knowledgeable as to what's inside and what's the difference between brands then I'm just going to have to say we'll have to agree to disagree. Most people I know where really nice watches and don't know a thing about them other than what I said before.......they look and wear great and they have brand name recognition and status.

I agree with some of what you've said. I do agree that some People on the "Corporate" ladder will buy a watch just on the Fact "its a Rolex" and they won't know much about. But, i don't believe that number to be 99.9% of people. I think for most, buying a watch is a very personal Experience and those people put in the time and effort to find out all they can before dropping huge coin down on a watch.

Anyway, we are all passionate about our watches.