The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 November 2016, 03:32 PM   #1
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

Seiko presage sarx015

I’m a bit surprised this one hasn’t been more popular out here. It’s a very impressive watch.

What got me interested is the nod to Omega, the "wooden decks of luxury sailboats” design on the dial.

When it arrived, I was immediately impressed. It oozes quality.

The Omega decks on the face are lovely. The The minute markers are raised and classy in quality. The “Seiko “ logo is raised. The dial curls upward along the edge. The lugs have a finely sculpted angular turn that surrounds the wrist. I saw a comment that criticized the crown guard. To the contrary; I find that cool and unique!

The crown turns amazingly smoothly and easily, even with plenty of winding.

It’s a little on the heavy side at 5.30 ounces.

It has some bling. The bezel is polished, the rest is brushed.

The 39.5mm diameter is about perfect. I read an article saying 39mm is the prefect sized watch, with 40mm being the max. But numbers can be deceiving. The dial is laid out wonderfully here, making it just right. Proportion is great too with an 11mm height.

The bracelet is good for the price. A Rolex bracelet costs $1200, so no need to compare. It is nice but not great, yet noticeably finer than the cheaper bracelets on a cheaper watch.

It’s gaining about 7 seconds per day. That’s considered pretty good and I wonder if it will improve- or worsen- over time.

I got a Seiko as a gift when I graduated high school in 1969. My uncle visited Japan occasionally and bought some watches. He gave me a plain, simple model. I no longer have it, I gave it to a pal I am no longer in touch with. But with my renewed interest in watches, I’d love to see it again. I am certain it was of a higher level than many offered these days. I don’t think they had any cheaper stuff back then and it was all 100% Japanese. It ran and ran and ran for years, never serviced, through wrestling matches, rough housing and constant hard usage. That’s one reason I went for the Presage. I feel it is a step up from many of the other Seiko models. And it is 100% Japanese. The inserts and booklet are not in English, though English instructions follow the Japanese in the manual.

I think the SARB033 is the darling of the line and at about $100 cheaper seems to garner more attention out here. Again, I am surprised this one isn’t killing it!

I sincerely feel that at this price, of about $500, this cannot be beat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my pic.jpg (115.7 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0674.jpg (90.0 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg Seiko omega copy.jpg (35.5 KB, 234 views)
Tbonewalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2016, 11:24 PM   #2
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonewalk View Post
What got me interested is the nod to Omega, the "wooden decks of luxury sailboats” design on the dial.
No nod to anyone but themselves…back in the early 70s.

PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2016, 04:35 AM   #3
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

maybe not the best wording on my part; hey, I'm just a hack and the first one to admit a keyboard can be a dangerous thing... that Seiko is nice!
Old 30 November 2016, 10:48 AM   #4
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
I picked this up a few months ago. I love the change of pace to a strap from always wearing watches with bracelets. It's a superb watch for the $420.00 that I paid for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2016, 10:57 AM   #5
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

I think that is the same model but as you said, it comes on leather. it also has that nice splash of color on the seconds hand. Mine does not. Did you get yours from Japan? Glad we agree on this one! I may go leather too. My one complaint is that it is kind of heavy, a leather would correct that. I have a similar Rolex collection to yours and it's easy to get spoiled. I am usually disappointed in $4-500 watches but continue to try lol But this Seiko has impressed me greatly! Thanks for your comment and pic!
Old 30 November 2016, 11:16 AM   #6
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Yes mine was shipped from Japan. Seiko makes some fine watches, I have a few of them.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Old 30 November 2016, 11:19 AM   #7
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

My Seiko SKX-175 diver which I had modified by northeast watch works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (85.0 KB, 217 views)

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Old 30 November 2016, 11:22 AM   #8
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

no doubt a Sarb 033 or 035, the darlings of the line?

For some reason I didn't want to buy from Japan. Did it arrive fast? Funny, I bought this on Amazon for $415 back in February. I was new to this stuff and sent it back. I liked it but started getting into Rolex, "i'll never wear it", the usual. I missed it though but it was no longer available through a stateside seller. I saw it pop up again a few weeks ago, but this time it was $475 and I had it the next day. I think it's laid out just wonderfully!
Old 30 November 2016, 11:24 AM   #9
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

that's a beauty! you'll have to tell me how to do that. does it keep accurate time? how much does it cost to get that together. Personal message me if you like, thanks...
Old 3 December 2016, 09:18 PM   #10
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Nice-looking piece