The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 November 2017, 01:29 PM   #1
marc2828
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,LV,SD43,PAMs
Which watch? - funny sarcasm welcome

Emphasis on "funny" if sarcasm is to follow in comments....

My dilemma - 7" flat wrist.

Love the Casio (50+mm) light, accurate, solar/atomic, great daily wearer. Looks a little informal.

Love the look of the Panerai - classic, simple, black on a Rubber B. Sits flat to the wrist, and wears "large". Annoying to wind all the time. A bit top heavy.

The SD43 or SD50...whatever people are calling it these days - tried on at gray market dealer who wants way too much $$$. I think the 43mm seems to wear small...didn't feel much larger than 40mm Sub C. Maybe because lugs are rounded? Also, does it seem to sit high off the wrist, although the bracelet was a bit loose.

Wish Rolex would make a 44mm diver with the newer wider bracelet. hmmm...wait for 2018?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171121_092904.jpg (178.5 KB, 436 views)
File Type: jpg 20171121_202833.jpg (242.0 KB, 433 views)
File Type: jpg 20171121_093149.jpg (191.3 KB, 436 views)
File Type: jpg 20171121_093254.jpg (235.0 KB, 438 views)
File Type: jpg 20171121_093010.jpg (235.5 KB, 436 views)
marc2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 01:45 PM   #2
rexG
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Looks like you wear your watches very close to your wrist joint... I like to see how it would fit further back on the wrist. Just my 2 cents.
116619LB SMURF
rexG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 02:36 PM   #3
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexG View Post
Looks like you wear your watches very close to your wrist joint... I like to see how it would fit further back on the wrist. Just my 2 cents.
I agree. Don’t you find this uncomfortable when you bend your wrist?

There’s always the Deep Sea Seadweller. At 44mm I believe it’s the largest watch Rolex makes. You may want to try one of those on if you’re looking for something larger.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 04:12 PM   #4
DocHorton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf, DD40, SkyD.
Have you considered a YM2?
DocHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 04:18 PM   #5
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
How about an Explorer 2? They wear very large, but are also really comfortable. Sorry, that wasn't terribly funny or sarcastic.
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 04:24 PM   #6
BreezyMan
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX DJ 1603
The only guy this far able stretch a new Rolex bracelet (I’m jk this is not possible I think lol ). Above the wrist bone or bust bros
BreezyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 04:46 PM   #7
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I'd get the 005 now and keep your eye open for an SD50. Then either flip the 005, if needed, or add the SD50 to make a great trio with your Casio.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 04:52 PM   #8
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Which watch? - funny sarcasm welcome

Imho up to you. I have a 8” wrist. I’ve had a DSSD since 08. Ordered it the day it was released. Wore it daily until 2012. Got a SubC and now it’s a paper weight. The sub to me
Is perfect. The DSSD might be worn 5 times a year by me but I do let friends wear it some. If 44 AP ROO hands down no comparison. Only reason I have it is because it was a graduation gift for keeping my scholarship. Sad thing is I turned a Kermit down for under $5k.... I’m still waiting for my SD43 and I can’t wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 04:55 PM   #9
BIGPOCKETS
"TRF" Member

Marky, Marky, Marky....
I think we're brothers from a different mother!
Here are my thoughts about this whole watch bizz - we're all CRAZY!!
Why put ourselves through the angst of a few mm here or there, plus we're talking Imperial measurements Vs. Metric (?!?!?)
Make up ya mind ya'll....

Why not a nice SWATCH, some really nice options in all shapes & sizes available. :)

I too have a flat 7" wrist (although my tape measure was only metric so i had to convert it).
It's a division of 2.5 or 2.54 (?) Remember those extra mm do make a difference!

What about the CA$IO does it make it look informal - I can see it sneaking out under a Double French cuff on Daniel Craig's wrist in his next Bond adventure - if Roger Moore can get away with some of the ugliest SEIKOs ever made during his stint as Bond...then there is always a possibility.

My thoughts on the SINGLE RED SEA DWELLER 50th ANNIVERSARY 43 or SRSD50A43 (for short).
How long before the price comes down to a normal Retail level through non-ADs?
I understand there are those who want the latest & greatest, but I'm not prepared to pay the extra 20% or so premium the Grey Dealers are asking for them - they can &%#@ off!
I'm not that desperate & am happy to wait a year or so....

Anyway....It looks nice - I'm really hoping it wears like a SDDS but "larger" due to it not being as thick and sitting lower & no RING LOCK "fu-flange", so more face showing etc., smoke & mirrors folks.
I've not seen one in person & it's likely I won't anytime soon, as I'm in Australia & the deliveries here are a trickle at best.
So I can only compare on the wrist to a DEEPSEA CAMERON LIME BLUE FADE (DSSDCLBF - for short) which I don't mind, except for the thickness & that ridiculous bracelet...etc., etc.
Some reviews I've seen have these 2 side by side & there isn't much difference.
I believe they use the same bezel (which would make sense from a manufacturing point of view from RLX) and only the cases are 1mm different, or .039" if my math is correct, but I did divide by 2.54.
So from the top looking down, they'd both look very, very, very similar (I hope) yet sit flatter on the wrist.
One which I am blessed with, although I've been working very hard to get a rock hard flat wrist to fit these super expensive toys onto.

My dilemma is that I now find myself ALSO waiting for RLX to release a non-SRSD50A43 in a "standard" 44mm DEEPSEA size case of 44mm+ with the proper thicker bracelet & no cyclops.....for 2018(?)
Also if rumours are right, then it makes sense that the SRSD50A43 is only a 1-2 year production run (helps keep interest & prices high) & RLX introduce another SEADWELLER in the range.

I've a PAM 422 and it's spoilt my choice of watches evermore....
BIGPOCKETS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 04:58 PM   #10
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGPOCKETS View Post
Marky, Marky, Marky....
I think we're brothers from a different mother!
Here are my thoughts about this whole watch bizz - we're all CRAZY!!
Why put ourselves through the angst of a few mm here or there, plus we're talking Imperial measurements Vs. Metric (?!?!?)
Make up ya mind ya'll....

Why not a nice SWATCH, some really nice options in all shapes & sizes available. :)

I too have a flat 7" wrist (although my tape measure was only metric so i had to convert it).
It's a division of 2.5 or 2.54 (?) Remember those extra mm do make a difference!

What about the CA$IO does it make it look informal - I can see it sneaking out under a Double French cuff on Daniel Craig's wrist in his next Bond adventure - if Roger Moore can get away with some of the ugliest SEIKOs ever made during his stint as Bond...then there is always a possibility.

My thoughts on the SINGLE RED SEA DWELLER 50th ANNIVERSARY 43 or SRSD50A43 (for short).
How long before the price comes down to a normal Retail level through non-ADs?
I understand there are those who want the latest & greatest, but I'm not prepared to pay the extra 20% or so premium the Grey Dealers are asking for them - they can &%#@ off!
I'm not that desperate & am happy to wait a year or so....

Anyway....It looks nice - I'm really hoping it wears like a SDDS but "larger" due to it not being as thick and sitting lower & no RING LOCK "fu-flange", so more face showing etc., smoke & mirrors folks.
I've not seen one in person & it's likely I won't anytime soon, as I'm in Australia & the deliveries here are a trickle at best.
So I can only compare on the wrist to a DEEPSEA CAMERON LIME BLUE FADE (DSSDCLBF - for short) which I don't mind, except for the thickness & that ridiculous bracelet...etc., etc.
Some reviews I've seen have these 2 side by side & there isn't much difference.
I believe they use the same bezel (which would make sense from a manufacturing point of view from RLX) and only the cases are 1mm different, or .039" if my math is correct, but I did divide by 2.54.
So from the top looking down, they'd both look very, very, very similar (I hope) yet sit flatter on the wrist.
One which I am blessed with, although I've been working very hard to get a rock hard flat wrist to fit these super expensive toys onto.

My dilemma is that I now find myself ALSO waiting for RLX to release a non-SRSD50A43 in a "standard" 44mm DEEPSEA size case of 44mm+ with the proper thicker bracelet & no cyclops.....for 2018(?)
Also if rumours are right, then it makes sense that the SRSD50A43 is only a 1-2 year production run (helps keep interest & prices high) & RLX introduce another SEADWELLER in the range.

I've a PAM 422 and it's spoilt my choice of watches evermore....
huh...
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 05:27 PM   #11
Angry-Gardener
"TRF" Member

Well, shucks son. Sarcasm is just a poor boy in an outlet store suit tryin to sound smart. The SD43 is perfection, on paper anyway. I wear, and prefer the 44mm DSSD Blue. But, I don’t expect anyone else to care or even notice, it’s just my choice for my reasons. I also love wearing the 47mm Fiddy on days that don’t matter. And on those days wear I just know some commission bonus dick is going to bling out with, whatever... I’m going vintage Seiko just to say F.U. For example, 6309 @ 44mm or 6105 are both great middle finger watches, as is a nice 36mm datejust if the Seiko isn’t feeling it that day,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Angry-Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 05:52 PM   #12
BIGPOCKETS
"TRF" Member

I love wearing my SWATCH skin (of which I've 4 & think they're great) but also love my PAM 422.
There's no "real" reason apart form how you feel on the day I guess.....told you we're all CRAZY"
BIGPOCKETS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 06:07 PM   #13
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc2828 View Post
Emphasis on "funny" if sarcasm is to follow in comments....

My dilemma - 7" flat wrist.

Love the Casio (50+mm) light, accurate, solar/atomic, great daily wearer. Looks a little informal.

Love the look of the Panerai - classic, simple, black on a Rubber B. Sits flat to the wrist, and wears "large". Annoying to wind all the time. A bit top heavy.

The SD43 or SD50...whatever people are calling it these days - tried on at gray market dealer who wants way too much $$$. I think the 43mm seems to wear small...didn't feel much larger than 40mm Sub C. Maybe because lugs are rounded? Also, does it seem to sit high off the wrist, although the bracelet was a bit loose.

Wish Rolex would make a 44mm diver with the newer wider bracelet. hmmm...wait for 2018?
Well if you’d wear you watches properly (as opposed to your half arsed attempt at positioning) the SD43 will appear neither too small or sit too high.

(Sarcastic enough for you? )

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 07:18 PM   #14
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I think a couple of things; first if you didn't flex your wrist in such a manner as to boost the SD in the air it would look flatter. Second if you opened the valve a bit your wrist would deflate and also let the SD ride flatter. I do have a question; for me to wear my watches as low as you do they have to be pretty loose. Like others have said, how does it look a bit higher up the arm. I don't mean up at the bicep but above the wrist joint. At any rate I'm not certain I'd like the Panpain-in-my-wrist nor the Cashiscow digital doozy. But that's really your call. I don't think the Trolex really looks particularly small on you either, fwiw. But if you want to develop some muscle in your left arm you could try the DSSD.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 10:20 PM   #15
marc2828
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,LV,SD43,PAMs
thanks for all the replies!

I own the Casio and the Pam 005. My watches usually slide back and forth over the wrist bumpy thing...but I prefer the watch closer to my hand...I feel that women wear watches higher up on the arm...no offense intended to the men on this forum.

In terms of the Explorer II or YM, I really always liked the Sub Mariner diver look. I think (now don't kill me here) that the Sub C, the GMT (barring the shiny middle links), the Seadwellers and Deep Seas all look very very similar. The 44mm DSSD- don't love the text saying "Ring Lock System" and the bracelet is too thin to balance the large watch head.

Rolex needs to make a 44mm Diver with a nice wide glidelock bracelet at the <$10k price point. I don't need the helium escape valve (not diving in my submarine down 2 miles to the ocean floor) so they can hopefully make the watch case thinner. If they put a dark blue/black ceramic bezel on it, I'd be a very happy camper. I think they should call it the "Sea Mariner" or the "Sub Dweller" or maybe the "Marc S Model"
marc2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 10:48 PM   #16
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc2828 View Post
thanks for all the replies!

I own the Casio and the Pam 005. My watches usually slide back and forth over the wrist bumpy thing...but I prefer the watch closer to my hand...I feel that women wear watches higher up on the arm...no offense intended to the men on this forum.

In terms of the Explorer II or YM, I really always liked the Sub Mariner diver look. I think (now don't kill me here) that the Sub C, the GMT (barring the shiny middle links), the Seadwellers and Deep Seas all look very very similar. The 44mm DSSD- don't love the text saying "Ring Lock System" and the bracelet is too thin to balance the large watch head.

Rolex needs to make a 44mm Diver with a nice wide glidelock bracelet at the <$10k price point. I don't need the helium escape valve (not diving in my submarine down 2 miles to the ocean floor) so they can hopefully make the watch case thinner. If they put a dark blue/black ceramic bezel on it, I'd be a very happy camper. I think they should call it the "Sea Mariner" or the "Sub Dweller" or maybe the "Marc S Model"
Ok, serious now (sarcasm free)

Its the depth rating that makes the SD thicker than the Sub, not the HEV itself. But with that depth rating comes the need for the HEV.

Albeit in jest, if you wear your watches above your wrist bumpy thing, and slightly tighter, they generally sit flatter, as the case back will sink into the softer part of your wrist beween the bones. I too have a flat wrist, wear my SD just behind the wrist bone and the thicker case back effectively dissapears so that it doesn't wear that much thicker than my sub did.

But what you appear to be asking is for Rolex to introduce a 44mm Sub or GMT, with the 22mm bracelet from the SD43?

Might happen. Although I suspect more likely would be to use the SD43 mid case (the tooling is already there) but with a with a thinnner crystal and bezel and a flatter case back. That would create a (better proportioned case) larger diameter Sub with the same thickness as the current 40 mm one.

Historically the Sub and SD have been advertised as having the same case diameter (some say the 5 digit SD case diameter was slightly smaller although my understanding was that it was just the dial that was). So if Rolex increase the sub case size they'd be returning to what was previously the norm.

Intersting . If it happens you heard it here first

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 11:32 PM   #17
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
The SD43 is the one for you, yes it does wear a little smaller but it is still noticeably larger than the Subc, which will never come in a 44mm size. Try it on again and I think you will feel it wears just fine on you. No alarms and no surprises this time to skew your view.

Forget sarcasm I got a Radiohead ref in there!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 11:39 PM   #18
Rocco21
Banned

Watch: 126660,126600
Sd43
Rocco21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 12:03 AM   #19
JManuel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1975 Explorer II
SD43 and try the 44mm Deepsea, used mint ones go for 8k USD.
JManuel is offline   Reply With Quote