The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 November 2017, 10:28 PM   #31
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Patience. Not a limited edition...wait your turn, or pay the premium
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 10:31 PM   #32
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
Quote:
Originally Posted by regnant View Post
You may come across two tone variants of the model though. When I was told that Sky Dweller would be as hard as finding a Rolex Daytona 116500 LN, I said really and didn't believe it would be as difficult as Rolex Daytona 116500 LN. Now, I justify it really is.
I'm not in the rush so I can wait until I get a call �� from AD

Two tone is really nice
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 02:36 AM   #33
GreatCircle
"TRF" Member

Just wait a few more years, then you can probably get a used precious metal one (on leather) for about the same price or less then a SS one ..... Rolex market is .......well ehhhhhh .........NUTS you know
GreatCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 02:53 AM   #34
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatCircle View Post
Just wait a few more years, then you can probably get a used precious metal one (on leather) for about the same price or less then a SS one ..... Rolex market is .......well ehhhhhh .........NUTS you know
True but this exits for daytonas already on leather and people don’t really swallow those up bypassing the ss.
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 02:56 AM   #35
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Welcome to the bizarre world of Rolex is what I’m thinking. It’s been a long time since I wanted to spend money on a product only to find an AD telling me no. Curious stuff indeed.

Although, I do like the WG version of the Sky Dweller on the leather strap. However, I prefer the 70’s looking hour markers of the SS models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 04:48 AM   #36
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Try going to some ADs near you in person. It's surprising what they will sometimes produce from the safe when you are standing in their store. I've looked too and the ADs I visited all had waiting lists. For what it's worth, almost all said supply would increase after the first of the year.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 07:50 AM   #37
cc75
"TRF" Member

Watch: Skydweller
Here in France, an AD add me on the list and i should the SS Skydweller blue in 4 months.
cc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 10:05 AM   #38
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Evening All,

I put myself on three wait lists today, two local to me here in VA/DC and one in another state, but where I attended university. I've a fourth line of inquiry to follow up on tomorrow, as an AD that's been recommended was closed today. It'll be interesting to see which one, if any comes through.

I spoke with about 8 local ADs today, in VA, DC and MD. All advised that they had no stock of any SS watches. Also, all advised that they didn't know when the next shipment would arrive, although all pointed to Spring. Also, two thought that Summer might be the best time to see some coming through. In true English parlance, one AD completely cracked me up (and seriously took the piss) in telling me straight out that it would be a five year wait--yes, for a Sky Dweller. I asked him to confirm that I said "Sky Dweller" and not "Daytona." What a complete muppet.

I've clearly entered the twilight zone in having to join a list in order to spend money.

Best,
TA
Old 22 November 2017, 05:37 AM   #39
armen34
"TRF" Member

When I got the call I was hoping for blue as it's most popular color but I'm starting to love the white dial... couldn't pass it up.

armen34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 05:39 AM   #40
Jimbogigolo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona W&B
Quote:
Originally Posted by armen34 View Post

When I got the call I was hoping for blue as it's most popular color but I'm starting to love the white dial... couldn't pass it up.

I got a call for white too... I’m still debating but it does look beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Jimbogigolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 05:44 AM   #41
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Interesting. My preferences are blue, black, white. However, that white version looks stunning. It would look fantastic on a black leather strap. Food for thought.

Old 22 November 2017, 05:46 AM   #42
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

The more I look at it, the more I’m sold on it.

Here’s a question: do you think the blue dial will date? In 10 years the black and white will still look great, and pass the test of time. I think blue might: think. Any thoughts?

Old 22 November 2017, 05:54 AM   #43
armen34
"TRF" Member

Here is another pic...

I wouldn't pass it up, especially when there is rumors that price increase coming soon.

Old 22 November 2017, 03:27 PM   #44
armen34
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Argonaut View Post
The more I look at it, the more I’m sold on it.

Here’s a question: do you think the blue dial will date? In 10 years the black and white will still look great, and pass the test of time. I think blue might: think. Any thoughts?

It's hard to say. As of now, everyone prefers the blue dials from op, dj, to blue sunburst dials... I wonder if the Daytona ss came in a blue dial it would be preferred over the white and black. Anyone?
Old 22 November 2017, 04:01 PM   #45
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

A Daytona in a blue dial. I can see it now. Stunning.

Yes, I really do like the white dial Sky D. Its timeless. What I find interesting about the Sky D is there are more than a handful of blue, black, and white faced versions on the grey market, and none that I'm tracking have sold. Are would be buyers not being drawn into paying $18-20k for them? Also, there's a white dial Sky D in the U.S. on Chrono 24 going for $16,885. That should get snapped up.
Old 22 November 2017, 04:11 PM   #46
maton12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesteak View Post
No chance this watch can be had from an AD from an unestablished customer in the next 3 months. Pay the premium or wait. I just purchased a TT for MSRP and I'll prob be waiting for much longer than that.
I was offered a TT champagne dial and took my friend in to buy it

Irony being I paid for my Deep Blue when Basel released so i could have been on the list for first couple of SS Sky Dwelkers... the madness was for the SD43

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
maton12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 04:17 PM   #47
armen34
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maton12 View Post
I was offered a TT champagne dial and took my friend in to buy it

Irony being I paid for my Deep Blue when Basel released so i could have been on the list for first couple of SS Sky Dwelkers... the madness was for the SD43

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I had a couple AD's try to convince me to buy the tt skyD but I'm glad I waited for the ss. Now the real question is what would I do when I get the call for the blue dial? Decisions decisions...
Old 22 November 2017, 04:37 PM   #48
BreezyMan
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX DJ 1603
It will cool off may take awhile but it will happen, does anyone remember the millguass when it came out there were wait lists and a lot of calls made. Now they sit in cases longer than other models, skydweller is not a new watch just more affordable in stainless.
BreezyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 07:12 PM   #49
Bigsoftee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite DD40
I just picked mine up today from my AD, Blue Face, absolutely stunning watch and complication.

https://imgur.com/a/gA8QL
Bigsoftee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 07:23 PM   #50
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsoftee View Post
I just picked mine up today from my AD, Blue Face, absolutely stunning watch and complication.

https://imgur.com/a/gA8QL
And that would make yours the 47th received on the forum. Congratulations!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 10:22 PM   #51
Anestheticsaregood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyMan View Post
It will cool off may take awhile but it will happen, does anyone remember the millguass when it came out there were wait lists and a lot of calls made. Now they sit in cases longer than other models, skydweller is not a new watch just more affordable in stainless.
I don't think you can compare a watch where the fenzy was over a green crystal (and a time only watch) to a SS annual calander with a second time zone... but I guess time will tell
Anestheticsaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 01:35 AM   #52
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

I agree that the two watches are quite different. I also agree with the statement that the Sky D will cool. Watchrecon has one or two for $16-17k, and in a year, there'll be more around. They may still be going for a premium, but it will be less than the $2-7k, especially for the blue face.
Old 25 November 2017, 01:58 PM   #53
armen34
"TRF" Member

I spoke to an AD who's saying that the new ss skyD may be very hard to get in the near future. It could be over 12-18 months until a blue dial and close to 8-12 months for black or white dials.

Old 25 November 2017, 02:21 PM   #54
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
I’m waiting for a blue SS SkyD and have my doubts about passing the test of time. My first choice was black and then I switched to Blue. Still on the fence. Other than the LVc, my three other watches are black dialed. I feel the same about WG Daytona with blue dial. I’ve been close to purchasing multiple times but an 80s Seiko comes to mind. I know it’s silly but I can’t help it. 1st world problems.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2017, 03:14 PM   #55
armen34
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Geezer View Post
I’m waiting for a blue SS SkyD and have my doubts about passing the test of time. My first choice was black and then I switched to Blue. Still on the fence. Other than the LVc, my three other watches are black dialed. I feel the same about WG Daytona with blue dial. I’ve been close to purchasing multiple times but an 80s Seiko comes to mind. I know it’s silly but I can’t help it. 1st world problems.
Go for the white dial! It's very nice!!!
Old 26 November 2017, 04:22 AM   #56
Jimbogigolo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona W&B

Finally got one today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Jimbogigolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 06:48 AM   #57
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Geezer View Post
There's nothing wrong with an 80's Seiko
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote