The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 5 November 2017, 04:18 AM   #1
subguy
"TRF" Member

Is the 3135 movement really as reliable as is claimed? I have had problems...

I have a TT sub 116613, vintage about 2012. The problem is that it developed what was explained to me as a loose rotor: when I gently shook it I could hear and feel movement inside. It went back to Rolex, back to me with about $600 repair bill. I continued to use it and a couple years later it developed exactly the same problem. Sort of a grinding sound like something is loose inside the case. I do not mistreat it - the only thing I do is jog and move my hands up and down a bit. When I do, I have felt this internal movement develop both times. I mention this only because these are the times I have really noticed it.

Now, the 3135 movement is supposed to be a reliable sports model movement, correct? My AD says that the watch should certainly be able to be used for jogging a few 12 or 13 minute miles a couple times a week. So why have I had this problem twice? Are there "lemon" Rolexes so that even after repair they can redevelop the same problem? Is it a myth that the 3135 is strong enough to withstand this rather mild use? The first time it happened I posted to this form and asked whether other joggers had problems with their Subs. No one really said they did. So what gives?

I have posted to the Tech forum because I hope some of the repair people can comment based on their knowledge and experiences. My AD says I can trade it in. But I would be a fool if it just happens again on my next 3135 Rolex! Thanks - hope some of you will comment.
subguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2017, 04:43 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Do you wear your watch loose?

It's unusual to break the rotor axle or jewel so quickly, but jogging does produce "hammering" of the movement and bracelet just like it does on a runners heels and shins. Wearing a loose watch can increase the hammering effect and reduce the life of components.
Old 5 November 2017, 05:49 AM   #3
subguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

It's unusual to break the rotor axle or jewel so quickly, but jogging does produce "hammering" of the movement and bracelet just like it does on a runners heels and shins. Wearing a loose watch can increase the hammering effect and reduce the life of components.
Good point. No, I hate when it jostles as I'm jogging, so I have it adjusted to fit firmly to my wrist.
subguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 02:27 AM   #4
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
I suppose many people have experienced this issue with the 3135...my rotor axle was damaged and replaced during a service also. Not a big deal, but your question is valid. In the end, I think it’s a trade off between efficient winding and robustness. At least it’s a cheap part.

I don’t workout with a watch, so I can’t comment on jogging with one on.
Explorer 124270
Omega Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary
uansari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 03:38 AM   #5
Ironstark
TechXpert

Watch: SS/W Skydweller
The 3135 movement (and family) are in watch movement terms, one of the most reliable and robust mechanical watch movements ever made. It is not typical to find a repeated issue like this, assuming the correction was carried out correctly by Rolex during the service.

There is more than one potential rotor axle issue. The axle may become loose/unriveted from the weight or it may suffer excessive wear.

Both of these issues may present with a similar effect on the movement in terms of reduced power reserve, timekeeping issues and noise of the weight making contact with the case back or the bridges of the movement but both occur for very different reasons.

An unriveted axle is potentially the result of insufficient force being used when the axle and weigh are riveted together. Or it occurs as a result of excessive vibration transmitted through the watch in wear on the wrist.

Excessive wear of the axle is typically a lubrication issue. Either insufficient lubrication was used when the movement was assembled/serviced or the length of time since it's last service is in excess of the recommended service interval and therefore it has run dry.
This initially presents as a noticeable grinding/vibration at first and then as the wear becomes increasingly bad, the weight becomes more and more "floppy" and makes contact with the bridges or case back.

If the watch was serviced within the last two years it should be covered by Rolex's two year service guarantee. Even if it is outside the two years I would be inclined to send it back to Rolex since it has not remained functional for the period of their recommended service interval.
Ironstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 03:11 PM   #6
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
What he said
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 07:00 AM   #7
SearChart
TechXpert

Rikki, have you noticed a trend in the past few years that even relatively new watches have a worn rotor axle?
I've seen several 2-3year old watches coming back with pretty significant rotor/axle/bridge damage. I must say I'm not a fan of hp1000 on the axle... I use mr4.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 07:09 AM   #8
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
No issues with my sub housing the 3135 in almost 3 years.
I purchased it new ... it runs almost perfect.
Plus 1 second every few days ... impeccable timing ... !!!
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 07:45 AM   #9
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

I’m no tech expert but I’ve run Olympic triathlons and countless miles with my loose-fitting yachtmaster, it’s 17 years old and I’ve never had that problem. I prefer it loose which is why I’m adding my comment. It’s a midsize, though, and uses the 2235 movement, not the 3135.
jstan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 05:41 AM   #10
Morethan1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16600
Could it be possible that the quality of the materials used in the parts have diminished over the years?
Morethan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 04:17 PM   #11
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
Go to the hp1300 give that a try
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2017, 07:36 AM   #12
Xerxes77
Banned

3135 is a good reliable movement