The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 11 August 2007, 03:19 PM   #91
nch209
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bull View Post
Which Daytona ?
White SS Daytona... new, with the rolex ingraving on the inner ring, BUT still has the older warranty info, not the card....
nch209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2007, 03:22 PM   #92
nch209
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1m0n View Post
I'm a farmer,

Those are potato plants

Simon

I grew up on a spud farm! Awesome! About 1000 acres of them in the hills of central PA!
nch209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2007, 03:31 PM   #93
Blue Bull
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron17402 View Post
I hear you. I love the Merc but we decided if we have any more problems, we're going to strongly consider a 5 series. The 3 series is too small for my girl as she is 6' tall and needs the leg room of a bigger car.

I just wish Mercedes were built with the same quality as Rolex. But then again, if it were, it would cost $250,000.

You have the 330d? Is that diesel? They don't sell the diesel in the States.

I guess we're getting off subject talking about cars.

Later
You dont know what you are missing with the turbodiesel BMWs.Ask Paul(Welshwatchmen),he had a 535d.That is a Brutal engine !!!! Wickedly fast.
You need high quality diesel ,less than 500 ppm.Thats why they dont market them in the States.
My 330d kas 100000kms on the clock,I really cant sell it .... I love this car.
Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2007, 03:37 PM   #94
Blue Bull
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocastro71 View Post
I am a cardiovascular RN. I recover open heart surgery patients immediately after they come out from OR. I deal with heart bypass patients, valve surgery, robotic heart surgery, AAA repairs, etc. I deal with almost all lifesaving medications and medical equipments to maintain a person's life. Pretty cool job- not a single day that's the same. I do not wear my Rolex to work at all.
I have doped 950 open heart cases up to now... You are a very important part of the chain.
Old 11 August 2007, 03:41 PM   #95
Blue Bull
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clk199 View Post
White SS Daytona... new, with the rolex ingraving on the inner ring, BUT still has the older warranty info, not the card....
Welcome to the club .... Mine ~ Inscription on the inner ring,hologram,new creditcard "paperwork"
Old 11 August 2007, 03:55 PM   #96
Green Arrow
"TRF" Member

Miners, Cars, Occupations, Watches

I go to Utah every other week in my job. Add my prayers to those of the others.
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2007, 05:08 PM   #97
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
Clive
God bless you for your statement, I agree I hope they all get out alive to be with their loved ones.

Hole at Utah Mine Yields Little Oxygen
Updated 1:25 AM ET August 11, 2007

By JENNIFER DOBNER

HUNTINGTON, Utah (AP) - The effort to find six coal miners caught in a cave-in took a disheartening turn Friday when a narrow hole drilled more than 1,800 feet down into the earth yielded no sounds of life and barely any oxygen.

The drill entered an area where the miners were thought to be working at the time of Monday's collapse. Mine officials had earlier thought their drill had simply hit a sealed, abandoned area of the mine that had little oxygen.

Readings of air composition at the bore hole showed there was not enough oxygen to support life. But officials kept up hope, saying the miners may have fled to a nearby 1,000-foot-long exit tunnel that could have more oxygen.

"It's difficult to say. I'm not going to speculate," Rob Moore, vice president of Murray Energy Corp., a co-owner of the Crandall Canyon Mine, said after a news conference Friday evening.

Initial readings showing oxygen levels above 20 percent _ a breathable atmosphere _ were samples from the bore hole itself and not the mine, said Bob Murray, chief of Murray Energy. There was no sign of carbon dioxide to indicate the exhalations of people.

When the drill was raised a few feet to clear it from debris, the oxygen readings fell to just over 7 percent and have remained there, said Richard Stickler, head of the Mine Safety and Health Administration.

"Normal oxygen is 21 percent," he said. "Once you get down to 15 percent you start having effects, and at 7 1/2 percent, it would not support life very long."

Mine officials said the drill drifted on its long descent through the hard sandstone and speculated that it had penetrated an old, sealed-off work area, where low oxygen levels would be expected. Further measurements showed the drill actually hit an active mining section.

A second, wider hole being drilled into the same area of the mine had come within about 240 feet of breaking through as of Friday evening. When it does, rescuers will drop down audio and visual equipment that could pick up signs of life. The 1,886-foot hole would also be big enough to send down food and water, Stickler said.

Separately, rescuers tried to make their way horizontally toward the miners, struggling to remove the rubble from the mine shaft. But it could take another week to actually reach the men and bring them out.

The mother of missing miner Don Erickson refused to be discouraged.

"We keep getting these other bits and pieces that are encouraging, so we're going to hold onto that for now," said the 69-year-old woman, who asked that her name not be used because she did not want to receive calls.

Around Huntington, a rugged town of around 2,000, the men's plight evoked a similar, understated reaction, reflecting perhaps the stoicism of a community well-acquainted with the risks of digging coal deep below the earth's surface.

The six-man mining crew was a ragtag combination of personalities _ longtime residents and recent Mexican immigrants; grizzled veteran miners and a rookie who had put in just weeks on the job; a "bullheaded" older guy and a "sweet, sweet" young man.

Huntington displayed signs of hope for the miners. Red, yellow and blue ribbons hung from light poles, and over Earl's Bargains furniture store a sign declared, "We believe." Another sign read: "Light up your porch until they come home."

Huntington is a town of wide streets lined by small single-story homes with tidy green lawns and some trailer parks. Multiple churches represent various denominations. The lone movie theater shows films four days a week. Yard sales are held on Main Street to support the Boy Scouts.

Its residents have sought to protect the privacy of the missing miners' families, posting a sign on a Main Street market asking the news media not to bother asking questions.

At a candlelight vigil Friday night attended by about 200, people wrote well-wishing notes on posterboard bearing pictures of some of the miners.

The mining company has not identified the miners, but The Associated Press has learned they are a crew of veterans and novices. According to family and friends, they are: Carlos Payan, in his 20s; Kerry Allred, 57; Manuel Sanchez, 41; Brandon Phillips, 24; Luis Hernandez, 23; and Erickson, 50.

Erickson's mother described the eldest of her four children as solid, loving and considerate. "He's my wonderful son," she said, breaking into tears. "You couldn't ask for better."

Married to wife Nelda for about a dozen years, Erickson is a father of two and stepfather to his wife's three children, she said. Nelda Erickson told the AP that her husband loved the outdoors, camping and four-wheeling.

"Don is a husband, a father, a son, a grandfather and a friend," she said.

Payan had not worked very long at the mine and planned to return soon to Mexico, according to two friends. A sister lives in Huntington, and their parents traveled from Mexico after the cave-in.

"He wasn't out a lot. He just worked and worked and worked," said family friend Iliana Sebreros, 13.

Sanchez, 41, has been a miner for 15 years, said a sister, Maria Buenrostro.

"He is a great human being. He's a family man and a brother who can't be replaced," said brother Cesar Sanchez. "He is a person who has lots of friends and is an enormous worker."

The brother said they were both born in Casas Grandes in the Mexican state of Chihuahua.

Phillips and Allred had attended high school in Castle Dale, near Huntington.

Allred, who played in a rock band while in high school, has three children, all adults, acquaintances said.

Bill Tucker, a 60-year-old former miner who lives in Huntington, described Allred as a "bullheaded" guy who plays guitars and sings _ George Jones and country western music are his favorites. Tucker and Allred grew up together in Cleveland, Utah. Allred's father taught them both to play guitar, and they often sat around jamming together.

"He's always happy. He's just an all-around good boy," Tucker said. "He's a tough kid. It's just his disposition. If something were in the road, he'd move it."

Earlene Mason of Huntington said she met Allred six years ago while she worked as a mini-mart cashier. She said his family attends a Baptist church in Castle Dale. "He likes to joke around," she said. "He's always smiling."

Marcey Wilson, a neighbor of Phillips in Orangeville, said her husband, who works at the mine, trained Phillips three weeks ago. "He was a sweet, sweet guy," Wilson said.

In high school, "he was just a skinny little kid and always had those baggy jeans on," Emery High School secretary Paula Gordon said. In his yearbook photos, his head is shaved.

Hernandez, originally from the Mexican state of Sinaloa, is married with a 1-year-old daughter, his uncle Clemente Hernandez said. The miner has been working in U.S. mines for about two years and in Crandall Canyon since June, he said.

___
Tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2007, 07:19 PM   #98
miner
"TRF" Member

Thanks Rich
I'm following the story in the press here.

miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2007, 08:44 PM   #99
MotoLiam

I travel for work with the MotoGP race series running logistics with Ducati Corse for the Pramac D'antin team. I use a GMT ll because it's so damn cool changing time zones with it. Here's an article on MotoGP.com about what I do, and a little bit more from the recent Laguna Seca race on the Cycle World website.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 070721_misc_026-2.jpg (59.1 KB, 412 views)
MotoLiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2007, 02:08 AM   #100
Teofilo

Watch: 14060M,16710 PEPSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Ive got a little company doing installation of Satellites, TV aerials and Surround sound, in and around Cape Town South Africa, Normally wear my Seiko to work and my Sub 5513 gilt on the week-end , just took it out of the safe !!
Jonathan, you live in simply the finest place in the world.....no argument,no discussion...just plain hard fact !
Teofilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2007, 02:10 AM   #101
Teofilo

Watch: 14060M,16710 PEPSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by clk199 View Post
Cop, That right, a copper! I like the nicer things... and wear a 79 GMT 1 ALL THE time, have a Stainless Sub (F), and a New Z Daytona that I have yet to wear!

Oh yea, I wear a nice watch to work every day... lots of stories behind all of them....

clk199z
Welcome, brother.
Police Sergeant....wear my Sub to work every day.
The GMT is a safe queen.
Teofilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2007, 03:45 AM   #102
Blown Wide Open
"TRF" Member

Watch: All with a crown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron17402 View Post
I would say at that level of car sales, you wearing a Rolex would be OK, as long as you project a very successful and prefessional demeanor, as I'm sure you do.

While I've owned BMWs and Mercedes, my favorite car was my '04 A4 with sport package, althought it was not quattro. I bought the car in Southern California where half of the Audi's are not Quattro. In any case, enjoy your Rolex's. It sounds like your enjoying the job.

Where is Larksville?
Larksville is near Wilkes-Barre, Scranton area. We order almost all quatros due to the winters. New A4 is a nice sold car, but BMW 3s are leasing better so I sell a bit more of them for people who ask.

PAtrick

Instagram: El_Diablo_Rosso
Blown Wide Open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2007, 04:37 AM   #103
S2000 Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner Datum ß
Septic Tank Cleaning Technician

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEWuDp76_-g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp0NRmuGeg8

Old 12 August 2007, 04:50 AM   #104
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teofilo View Post
Welcome, brother.
The GMT is a safe queen.
So if you have a traffic stop and the guy wears a really nice Rolex, what would JJ say to get out of the ticket?
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2007, 04:52 AM   #105
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
So if you have a traffic stop and the guy wears a really nice Rolex, what would JJ say to get out of the ticket?
I'd offer him one of my sheep as a bribe!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2007, 05:15 AM   #106
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
I don’t work, I’m retired. I live on a 100-meter yacht that is stationed in the harbour of St. Tropez, it’s called ‘The Good Life II’. It’s tough, but someone has to do it.

(Sound of loud alarm clock in the distance, hammering my dream in a thousand pieces). It is 06:20 and I get up to drag my tired body to my office where I play the cheerful role of IT Coordinator at an oil storage terminal.
Old 12 August 2007, 05:20 AM   #107
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch View Post
I don’t work, I’m retired. I live on a 100-meter yacht that is stationed in the harbour of St. Tropez, it’s called ‘The Good Life II’. It’s tough, but someone has to do it.

(Sound of loud alarm clock in the distance, hammering my dream in a thousand pieces). It is 06:20 and I get up to drag my tired body to my office where I play the cheerful role of IT Coordinator at an oil storage terminal.
Hey, Fransie,

I much preferred that King of the Jungle LION of yours in your avatar!! Please bring it back!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 12 August 2007, 05:27 AM   #108
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Hey, Fransie,

I much preferred that King of the Jungle LION of yours in your avatar!! Please bring it back!!
a. That is not the 'King of the Jungle' but the symbol of our nation and the symbol of the Dutch national football team

b. This is a picture of me, after being 'Simpsonized' I'll leave it this way for a while
Old 12 August 2007, 05:56 AM   #109
Interested Bystander

Watch: Rolex Oysterdate
Interested Bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2007, 05:57 AM   #110
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Bystander View Post
No picture there, David....just a tiny red cross!!

Old 12 August 2007, 06:52 AM   #111
Interested Bystander

Just can't figure it out yet. Took a really good picture of the movement on my watch, thought I'd download it from Adobe 3.2 album starter where its saved in my computer and it just doesn't work for me.

Very cool picture, I could blow it up to the full 19 inch screen I have and it was still completly clear and sharp. But, well Maybe it used up to much space. Sorry.
Old 12 August 2007, 07:03 AM   #112
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Bystander View Post
Just can't figure it out yet. Took a really good picture of the movement on my watch, thought I'd download it from Adobe 3.2 album starter where its saved in my computer and it just doesn't work for me.

Very cool picture, I could blow it up to the full 19 inch screen I have and it was still completly clear and sharp. But, well Maybe it used up to much space. Sorry.
You first have to upload the picture to a free hosting service like www.photobucket.com and use the provided url to display it. Good luck!
Old 12 August 2007, 07:21 AM   #113
Rubenonfire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
I work for a real estate developer in Arizona, and flat-out love it. It's an interesting market, but you never learn anything when it's easy. I wear my Rolex all day, every day.
Old 12 August 2007, 07:24 AM   #114
Interested Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch View Post
You first have to upload the picture to a free hosting service like www.photobucket.com and use the provided url to display it. Good luck!

haha, I didn't know this. I was able to reduce the size and quality a lot to get it small enough to put in my avitar, but at a higher detail and larger its a great shot. Maybe I'll figure it out, thanks for the help.
Old 12 August 2007, 08:31 AM   #115
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
Motoliam,
Where are your Oakley Ducati Juliets?????
Tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2007, 08:59 AM   #116
jbradley02

Watch: GMT-Master II
I am a IT Manager for a Greek Shipping Company, I take are of the
United States Office, my othe passion as well are BMW's older, I have owned 325is, 535is, 635csi, currently a mint 1987 black 325 convertible 2nd owner never seen harsh weather with 16 in Alpina lowered, everything else stock, I forgot and since getting my TT GMT as present, wear it to work and no one except the president has noticed
jbradley02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2007, 09:31 AM   #117
ji603
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
copper as well!

wear my GMTII everyday

ji603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2007, 09:52 AM   #118
SSD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Stainless Sub Date
OK, OK, I'm a cop, too! A Corporal on a Sheriff's Office patrol precinct day shift, and since there's no Sgt. I get to be watch commander & do roll call, etc.. This Nov. will make 15 fun-filled years. However, I have not yet worn the new Sub to work. Might start something, I wonder? I may be convinced in the future, though. Just don't want anything to happen to it, either. Opinions?

SUBMARINER OWNERS' CLUB
ESTABLISHED 1953
TRF Member # 5464

Last edited by SSD; 12 August 2007 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: Add pic
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2007, 09:58 AM   #119
wonghonchung

Still a student- entering law school at Osgoode Hall and New York University in September this year and graduating in 2011 (a joint program between these two schools). I normally wear a Breguet Marine, but wear an IWC Pilot's Chrono occasionally as well.

As for work- I worked for Deloitte and Touche in Toronto these two summers.
wonghonchung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2007, 11:38 AM   #120
ron17402

Watch: 116710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teofilo View Post
Welcome, brother.
The GMT is a safe queen.
Have you ever not given a ticket to a person because they were wearing a Rolex?
ron17402 is offline   Reply With Quote