The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 July 2019, 12:10 PM   #31
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
So none of the other responses are on point or just don’t support the loupe?
Also, since none of those others are on point, are they all responses by jerks?
Interesting food for thought. Seems a lot of these types of conversations are occurring throughout the country. Don't like the answer, the person providing said answer is a jerk. That solves it.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 12:16 PM   #32
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyz1245 View Post
Very well said Tom and I agree 100%
I agree. I answered his question by citing an example of my own watches’ imperfections under a loupe and that I chose not to fixate on it.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 12:21 PM   #33
blada4life
"TRF" Member

Good news for you. Your watch will be worth more now. It’s an error hand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
blada4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 12:37 PM   #34
Steerpike999
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrown55 View Post
Thanks Victor, of all the replies yours was the only one in topic. Most days these forums are full of jerks, thanks for the info I will check it out.
Or Perhaps a lot of people here have been through the same thing and have decided that life is too short to obsess about things that you can't see without a loupe?
Lumping everyone into the same basket is not right just because they may say what you don't want to hear.
Steerpike999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 02:12 PM   #35
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

I have not “looped” my BLRO, so I don’t know. Since I bought from AD, it’s not like I needed to make sure it was real.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 02:14 PM   #36
mbrown55
Banned

Watch: Sea Dweller 126600
So to all who said put the loupe away and enjoy the watch on the wrist: I would never have parted with hard earned cash if I didn’t know how to enjoy my purchases. I enjoy examining watches to a fine detail, with rolexes i often go into my lab and look at them under extreme magnification and marvel at the detail and craftsmanship. So all of you who said that rolexes should never be examined under a loupe, go stay under your rocks. as far as haute horology is concerned Rolex is at the top of the game. I have 7, my wife has 5 and my children have several and i enjoy examining them under fine scrutiny. So go screw yourselves if you want to disparage Rolex quality, go to another forum. I was asking a question if anyone had noticed any quality issues on a particular model and dozens thought that they could chime in with very uninformed opinions. EVERY mass produced product have flaws and its the flaws that make them unique. I love going to my friends garage and looking at his 69 Ferrari and i look at it with the curiosity of a police detective. We love exploring the things done right and the things that slipped through. I will look at my Rolexes under high magnification, i will document the things done perfect and the things that could have been done better. This is horology. I’m about done with forums because they are dominated by idiots.
mbrown55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 02:27 PM   #37
pepsiretail
Banned

pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 03:56 PM   #38
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
I have a new BLRO and under a loupe there is a defect in the paint on the GMT hand. Someone on a FB forum who has a BLNR noticed a similar defect in the GMT hand. Anyone else have anything similar to report on the painted GMT hands of the newer models? Its the only defect I've ever been able to detect on my Rolexes.
Put the loupe away
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 04:34 PM   #39
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

Hi... I guess I'm another jerk on here. I think what all the other jerks are saying is that a Rolex is just not going to be perfect. Maybe it is about expectations versus reality. Yes they are expensive items, but not perfect. I have a loupe and I use it on occasion to remove links since I can't see the tip of the screw driver and slot of the pin with my bear eyes anymore. I have looked at the dial and find imperfections but they just don't bother me. When I bought the diamond for my wife's engagement ring I went for perfect cut, but comprised on Clarity and chose an I1 stone. Many jewelers don't carry I1 stones, but it saved thousands on the stone which allowed a larger size stone. I could not see the defect with my eyes, and barely with a loupe, so it didn't make a difference to us.

I use the same logic with my watches. I don't expect perfection, I'm not disappointed. But it is an amazing little machine with hundreds of parts that sits on my wrist and gets power to operate by the movement of my hands and barely skips a few ticks a day out of millions. That is what I admire about the watch.

So I'm off to go screw myself now.
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 04:48 PM   #40
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
I may have to disagree with a lot of people here. I've taken a 8-10x loop to my 16700 GMT and marveled at how many things Rolex actually got right and precise.

The only thing that doesn't look 100% consistent might have to be the tritium application, but it doesn't bother me one iota; I'd like to think that's the "fingerprint" of the watch itself.

I say take whatever loupe you want, and as long as it's not a blatant detail contortion or manufacturing mistake, revel in the subtle errors that make it your watch and not a catalog piece.
Old 19 July 2019, 04:55 PM   #41
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
So to all who said put the loupe away and enjoy the watch on the wrist: I would never have parted with hard earned cash if I didn’t know how to enjoy my purchases. I enjoy examining watches to a fine detail, with rolexes i often go into my lab and look at them under extreme magnification and marvel at the detail and craftsmanship. So all of you who said that rolexes should never be examined under a loupe, go stay under your rocks. as far as haute horology is concerned Rolex is at the top of the game. I have 7, my wife has 5 and my children have several and i enjoy examining them under fine scrutiny. So go screw yourselves if you want to disparage Rolex quality, go to another forum. I was asking a question if anyone had noticed any quality issues on a particular model and dozens thought that they could chime in with very uninformed opinions. EVERY mass produced product have flaws and its the flaws that make them unique. I love going to my friends garage and looking at his 69 Ferrari and i look at it with the curiosity of a police detective. We love exploring the things done right and the things that slipped through. I will look at my Rolexes under high magnification, i will document the things done perfect and the things that could have been done better. This is horology. I’m about done with forums because they are dominated by idiots.

Relax, I accepted a long time ago that Rolex is sloppy and often wondered why but somehow it doesn't bother me.

Looking at macros from Grand Seiko gave me a whole new insight in true watch manufacturers.
Old 19 July 2019, 04:58 PM   #42
Tokyo Mike
Banned

Seems your attitude is and the chip on your shoulder, is the problem. Not the paint.
Tokyo Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 05:47 PM   #43
Mike Jab
Banned

Many threads on the subject already, i would say don't look at your watches too closely, wear them and enjoy them for what they are!
Mike Jab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 06:01 PM   #44
peterpl
Banned

Hahahaaha 2 lessons here

1) Never ever look at your Rolex under a loupe or magnification.
2) These watches are not THAT high quality - in fact compared to other brands it would be sloppy. I would never pay over retail let alone $1000s over retail for ANY Rolex. They are simply not worth it
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 06:44 PM   #45
Ian Macdermott
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:

Good grief.

How rude.
Old 19 July 2019, 06:52 PM   #46
Masteryacht
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16622,BLNR,116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras47 View Post
If you want those truly hand-crafted details you have to pay Patek prices. Rolex parts are mass produced and there are bound to be minor flaws. That's the difference between a $12,000 watch and a $25,000+ watch. But to my eye, without a loupe, Rolex quality is very good. Not perfect, but good. Good enough, and the difference in quality between Rolex and Patek (insert any super premium brand) is not worth the price difference. I'm a tool watch kind of guy so I'm not looking for perfection.
Patek has the same sort of issues. I’ve seen many a photo where the chronograph seconds hand doesn’t reset to dead on 12.
Masteryacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 07:14 PM   #47
MARTIN26
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SD 326934
Quote:
So... you regularly go into your ‘lab’ and look at your watches under extreme magnification. You MUST be on the wind up.

I hope for your sake you’re on the wind up. If you’re not, you are a strange bloke.
MARTIN26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 08:03 PM   #48
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Be glad it’s only paint. I’m more concerned that adjusting the hour hand on a 3186 feels like a $6 watch that’s about to bust at any moment. But back on subject; to the OP, yes, the painting of the 24 hour hand is substandard.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 08:36 PM   #49
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
So go screw yourselves if you want to disparage Rolex quality, go to another forum. I’m about done with forums because they are dominated by idiots.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 09:43 PM   #50
Wristwatcherboy
"TRF" Member

Rolex is not “haute horology”. It is mass produced. AP and Patek are Haute.
Wristwatcherboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 09:43 PM   #51
Bryan81
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
I’m wondering if those who say never look at your Rolex with a loupe are the same as those who say to not obsess about scratches, dings, etc.

I occasionally look at my watches with a loupe out of curiosity. (Maybe once a year?) I see details I appreciate and also see some sloppiness, if you can even call it that. The standard trying to be achieved by Rolex isn’t perfection when viewed by a loupe, but near perfection when viewed with the naked eye. I see issues, think it’s interesting and simply don’t obsess about them. Doesn’t bother me a bit.

So, I don’t agree with the advice to never look at your Rolex with a loupe, unless you’re going to be bothered by what you see.
Bryan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 09:45 PM   #52
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wristwatcherboy View Post
Rolex is not “haute horology”. It is mass produced. AP and Patek are Haute.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 10:24 PM   #53
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan81 View Post
I occasionally look at my watches with a loupe out of curiosity. (Maybe once a year?) I see details I appreciate and also see some sloppiness, if you can even call it that. The standard trying to be achieved by Rolex isn’t perfection when viewed by a loupe, but near perfection when viewed with the naked eye. I see issues, think it’s interesting and simply don’t obsess about them. Doesn’t bother me a bit.

So, I don’t agree with the advice to never look at your Rolex with a loupe, unless you’re going to be bothered by what you see.
Exactly. I bought these things to look at and I enjoy examining them a little closer from time to time. I've seen a little sloppiness in the printing, but nothing really major that would bother me. The paint on the 24hr hand wouldn't bother me that much on a standard SS piece, I'd just be a little disappointed.

However, I still don't understand how anyone can just say ignore that on the meteorite BLRO. That's a $35,000 watch. $3000 watches have better finishing.

And the meteorite dial is something I'd definitely want to see under a loupe, it probably looks incredible.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 10:27 PM   #54
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Ibtl
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 10:36 PM   #55
Mike Jab
Banned

Quote:
Rolex is not haute horology. And good riddance
Mike Jab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 10:41 PM   #56
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jab View Post
Rolex is not haute horology. And good riddance
Old 19 July 2019, 10:47 PM   #57
iheartrolexx
Banned

the quality of rolex is going down. dump your rollie now
iheartrolexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 10:49 PM   #58
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

This whole ‘haute horology’ thing leaves me cold. Hand-finishing a watch may be a nice touch for some. But for me, stuff like durability and precision count for more. I don’t see Rolex as inferior to stuff like Patek in the ways that matter to me.
And I couldn’t care less about tiny flaws invisible to the naked eye...
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 10:50 PM   #59
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterskinner View Post
This whole ‘haute horology’ thing leaves me cold. Hand-finishing a watch may be a nice touch for some. But for me, stuff like durability and precision count for more. I don’t see Rolex as inferior to stuff like Patek in the ways that matter to me.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 11:02 PM   #60
j-watch
"TRF" Member

Watch: HULK, BLRO, 16523
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterskinner View Post
Ding ding ding.....we have a winner!
j-watch is offline   Reply With Quote