The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 July 2019, 12:27 PM   #1
dinosaysrawr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
To service or not to service

Got a very clean 1996 explorer ii yesterday with 0 service history. It still has the green Rolex sticker on the caseback which makes me think it's been sitting in a closet for many years without ever having been serviced by Rolex. It's currently running +7 seconds/day.

I want to get it serviced not for the movement overhaul but to verify the watch's waterproofness. What do you guys think I should do? Is it worth sending it in to Rolex for the peace of mind when it comes to waterproofness and at the same time get the movement cleaned? Or should I look for a local watchmaker who can work on it for much cheaper than Rolex?
dinosaysrawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 12:43 PM   #2
ExplorerTime
Banned

Watch: 116200/14270
23 years w/ out a service - possibly

If you can bring it in to a RSC they can tell you, by the serial number, if the watch has been serviced by Rolex

If it has been, as you suspect, a safe queen for many years, that's certainly better for the gaskets etc -

also, it's running 1 second faster than COSC standards, though thats still pretty damn good for a 23 year old watch

What would I do?

I'd bring it in to RSC and have them give it a full service. I'd pay the high price for genuine Rolex parts and not do a polish but when you pick it up you'll have peace of mind that the thing is safe to take in the water and use like it's meant to be used and you could probably wear it for 10 years or more daily w/out another service

that's what I would do
ExplorerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 01:00 PM   #3
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerTime View Post

If you can bring it in to a RSC they can tell you, by the serial number, if the watch has been serviced by Rolex

If it has been, as you suspect, a safe queen for many years, that's certainly better for the gaskets etc -

also, it's running 1 second faster than COSC standards, though thats still pretty damn good for a 23 year old watch

What would I do?

I'd bring it in to RSC and have them give it a full service. I'd pay the high price for genuine Rolex parts and not do a polish but when you pick it up you'll have peace of mind that the thing is safe to take in the water and use like it's meant to be used and you could probably wear it for 10 years or more daily w/out another service

that's what I would do
Same. Just had a WG Daytona serviced at RSC and I am very happy with the results. + 0.25 seconds per day.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 01:06 PM   #4
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
I'd do a service. I bought a 10 year old sub that was a safe queen and it looked great but ran fast. It was totally dry on the inside (but looked completely new. Like catalog picture new.). Had a service and runs great now. My understanding is that running the movement when it is dry will accelerate wear on components and I didn't want that with what was essentially a new watch.

At that age I would worry about the gaskets no matter how it was kept.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 01:11 PM   #5
dinosaysrawr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerTime View Post

What would I do?

that's what I would do
Thank you for your input, I'm going to take it to RSC to get it serviced.

Just one more thing, I reside in NYC but am currently in Texas until the end of next month, do you think I should wait until I return to NYC to personally take it to 5th ave Rolex RSC, or should I find an AD near me (I'm in San Antonio so going up to Dallas isn't an option) to get it sent to Dallas?

I assume the service might not be done by the time I have to return to NYC, which would create a bit of a logistical twist but at the same time I've heard that Dallas RSC is better than NYC RSC.
Old 19 July 2019, 01:15 PM   #6
andrewjb88
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16302 Rolex OP
Service, mechanical sympathy and also to be sure the gaskets/seals are still intact.
Luch one hand
andrewjb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 02:09 PM   #7
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

If it's consistently +7 I would leave it and just get a pressure test locally for $20-30 or whatever they charge you there. A full service is gonna be $700-800. Not worth it imo.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 06:04 PM   #8
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
It would be simpler to just avoid swimming with the watch. I would enjoy it as is and if and when it started running badly I would give it a service. If you have to have a watch for swimming just get a Casio. Much easier and cheaper than having your Rolex serviced.

In general I believe that the less your watch is messed with the better.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 06:55 PM   #9
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
First, the presence of the green sticker on the back means nothing about the history of the watch. Many people wear their watch with the sticker on, and taking it for a service does not mean they would remove the green sticker.

In my opinion, I would suggest an overhaul which will set you back $750-1000 but give you peace of mind and 2 years of warranty.

The other option is to do nothing and just avoid swimming with it. It should still be fine for washing hands, rain, shower, etc.
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 09:00 PM   #10
gunhose
Banned

Watch: what's on my wrist
It's new to you I would wear it until it stops then service it. Minus 7 you can live with unless you're OCD about accuracy.
gunhose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 09:05 PM   #11
SearChart
TechXpert

RSC service and clearly state that you do not want it polished.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 09:22 PM   #12
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would get it pressure tested at local AD in Texas and see what the results are. If it is good I would leave it alone until I got home and decided what I wanted to do. I would be tempted to just get the watch regulated if all else was good and wear it until it was not. Any other issues then off to the service center.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 09:27 PM   #13
chris242
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610lv
When I purchased my 16570 it was 16 years old with the green sticker on it as well, sent it in to RSC for peace of mind. I’d do it, especially if you’re going to be around/in the water with it.
chris242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 09:47 PM   #14
kbutler1
"TRF" Member

Watch: This one
Just go to an AD and have them dry pressure test it, they should be able to do that. Have them take a look and advise if it needs a service or if it just needs to be calibrated.
kbutler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 10:04 PM   #15
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

That long without a service record... send to RCS.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 10:07 PM   #16
WatchBrothersLondon
2024 Pledge Member

Take it to Rolex. Let them put your mind at rest regarding authenticity, movement condition and waterproofness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WatchBrothersLondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 10:09 PM   #17
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I assume the service might not be done by the time I have to return to NYC, which would create a bit of a logistical twist but at the same time I've heard that Dallas RSC is better than NYC RSC.[/QUOTE]

I have used both the Dallas and NYC RSC’s in person and have found both outstanding.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 11:11 PM   #18
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
RSC service and clearly state that you do not want it polished.
+1
As it is a 96 model it should be a late Tritium dial. I'd suggest also stating that you do not want the dial or hands replaced.
stevedssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 11:27 PM   #19
usling15
"TRF" Member

Even if a safe queen, wouldn’t you have to assume the lubricant has dried. So you got a mint watch with gears running without oil.
usling15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2019, 02:48 AM   #20
dysert
"TRF" Member

Dallas RSC is awesome.
dysert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2019, 05:06 AM   #21
Rolexsd4000
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Mk1 , TT SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaysrawr View Post
Thank you for your input, I'm going to take it to RSC to get it serviced.

Just one more thing, I reside in NYC but am currently in Texas until the end of next month, do you think I should wait until I return to NYC to personally take it to 5th ave Rolex RSC, or should I find an AD near me (I'm in San Antonio so going up to Dallas isn't an option) to get it sent to Dallas?

I assume the service might not be done by the time I have to return to NYC, which would create a bit of a logistical twist but at the same time I've heard that Dallas RSC is better than NYC RSC.

Have Dallas do the service and send it back to you in NY.

Old 20 July 2019, 05:12 AM   #22
Mr.Rolex1
Banned

Watch: Submariner
Its a little fast but i wouldn't worry about it until selling time
Mr.Rolex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2019, 05:33 AM   #23
dinosaysrawr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexsd4000 View Post
Have Dallas do the service and send it back to you in NY.

I'm going to take it to an AD near me, do I need to bring anything other than the watch itself?
Old 20 July 2019, 05:57 AM   #24
ExplorerTime
Banned

Watch: 116200/14270
No

Just bring the watch
ExplorerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2019, 08:26 AM   #25
BlueNote
"TRF" Member

After 20 years even synthetic oils dry up. It might run, even well, but lack of lubricants can cause scoring / damage. Definitely don’t let whoever services it change the dial or polish the case.
BlueNote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2019, 10:30 AM   #26
dinosaysrawr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNote View Post
After 20 years even synthetic oils dry up. It might run, even well, but lack of lubricants can cause scoring / damage. Definitely don’t let whoever services it change the dial or polish the case.

Got it. Is there anything else I should tell them not to touch? Also, why is polishing/replacement dial bad?

Old 20 July 2019, 10:43 AM   #27
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaysrawr View Post
Got it. Is there anything else I should tell them not to touch? Also, why is polishing/replacement dial bad?

Lots of people just enjoy that work look.

boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote