The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 2 August 2007, 02:36 AM   #1
haakon59
"TRF" Member

Audemars Piguet Royal Oak experiences?

For some reason, this watch has captured my imagination in an enduring way. When I first saw this model around 6-7 years ago, I thought it was ugly. Yet my tastes have turned around 100% to the point where now I really want one. But in the past, I have read a few comments from owners. What I am not sure about is how widespread and common their complaints are about AP. So here are some basic questions, let me know what you think!

1. Royal Oak Bezel Scratches easily. By the way I have tried on a few used Royal Oaks and in most cases the bezel is fairly scratched up. Some have told me the steel on the bezel is softer than the rest of the case, mainly for aesthetic design reasons. Are you finding this a major distraction for you? Is the ease of scratching the bezel overemphasized?

2. Reliability. Some have told me that AP watches break down after 5 years or so, requiring extensive maintenance and repair, while others who have had several of their watches love them and tell me of their excellence overall. What is your experience? This watch could become a "daily wearer" for me, perhaps, so I wonder how it is likely to hold up. As you can tell, I am a little worried about this. I don't want to spend this money and have to over-baby this watch, although I am not hard on watches to begin with (office job). In fact, most brands I have tried have worked out quite well for me. I guess I am worried about spending the money and having to spend more money on maintenance that is needed more than every 5 years or so.

3. Timekeeping. I used to be critical about timepieces that were off more than a few seconds a day. Now I have become relaxed about this, but like it when the time is kept to + or - 20 seconds a day or so. Occasionally I have read posts by some who have told me AP has a tendency to gradually keep worse time without regular tuneups. My habit is to maintain my watches every 5 years or so, but some who own AP tell me they send theirs in every 2 years or so for maintenance, which can get expensive compared to other brands. What is your experience? I should mention that here again, others have told me they love the brand and they do not experience this and they maintain their watches only every 5 years or so.

4. How does the brand/watch wear over time? I have seen and tired on AP watches in person and they to me are quite impressive. Also, I have met quite a few owners who love the brand and swear by it's reliability and the accompanying "happiness" and the joy it brings it's owners. Now that you have owned your AP for awhile, does the joy last, or are you sick of the brand now? Most of the owners I have met have been new to AP in the last 6 months or so. Overall, they are very happy with their purchase. What about those who have owned their watch for longer time periods--is the magic still there or are you sick of maintaining your watch and not getting enough use from it?

Anyway, thank you in advance for adding your ownership experiences. As you can see, I am a little uncertain. Thanks.
haakon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2007, 03:01 AM   #2
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
No experience with them, but did check them out at the AP Botique in KL, Malaysia. Very nice watches. Pretty expensive though. But if I had unlimited funds, one would definately be in my collection.

Plus AP has about the most Kick Ass TV commercial for a watch that I have seen!
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2007, 07:06 AM   #3
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Apart from them being ugly, unreliable, scratch magnets, ridiculously expensive to purchase and maintain I think they are a fine watch.
Old 2 August 2007, 07:10 AM   #4
Julian,Sea Dweller

Watch: TOG/SD/SUB/LANGE 1
Reliability ???

I had an Audemars Piguet Heutime , a basic rose gold / leather
strap automatic + date .
Two weeks after purchasing it , it broke down and went back
for repairs .
A month or two later and it stopped working again, at which point it went back , Audemars ended putting a new movement in it .

After a year or so it stopped working again .

I no longer have it , and replaced it with a Lange & sohne,Lange 1

I think this is a much better dress watch.

I miss the looks of the Audemars as it had a fairly large face
but if your're spending that kind of money it should be alot more
reliable .

Stick to Rolex if your're not sure , both my Turn-o-graph and Seadweller are excellent and have never stopped working .
Julian,Sea Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2007, 07:12 AM   #5
walds11
"TRF" Member

haakon59, that sure is a long list of negatives.
walds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2007, 07:29 AM   #6
ADISMO
Banned

Watch: Seadweller
if JayZ can wear one on his speedboat, i dont see the down side
ADISMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2007, 10:52 AM   #7
haakon59
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian,Sea Dweller View Post
I had an Audemars Piguet Heutime , a basic rose gold / leather
strap automatic + date .
Two weeks after purchasing it , it broke down and went back
for repairs .
A month or two later and it stopped working again, at which point it went back , Audemars ended putting a new movement in it .

After a year or so it stopped working again .

I no longer have it , and replaced it with a Lange & sohne,Lange 1

I think this is a much better dress watch.

I miss the looks of the Audemars as it had a fairly large face
but if your're spending that kind of money it should be alot more
reliable .

Stick to Rolex if your're not sure , both my Turn-o-graph and Seadweller are excellent and have never stopped working .
Thanks for telling me your experience. I have been thinking about Rolex for this reason.
Old 2 August 2007, 10:56 AM   #8
haakon59
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
haakon59, that sure is a long list of negatives.
You are right. I listed all the negatives I could remember over the years but have omitted all the positive recommendations. I think you can argue that when people are unhappy they complain but people whose watch is working perfectly don't say much usually. I was partly thinking that if I listed some of the criticisms I have heard over the years that people who really love the brand might defend it. I could list a lot of positives I felt would apply as well. Although I have tried the watch on several times, I have not owned one, so I thought I would see if there would be many who would come to the brand's defense. Good point.
Old 2 August 2007, 12:06 PM   #9
Robb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADISMO View Post

Old 2 August 2007, 12:29 PM   #10
haakon59
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADISMO View Post
Who is JayZ?
Old 4 August 2007, 04:56 PM   #11
Spark
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many
I have no experience with AP at all other than drooling at the Offshore through the AD's window, but I would have thought if you can afford to spend that sort of cash on a watch a few scratches or service bills would be of little consequence later on.
After 5 years any mechanical watch could do with a service and all your scratches (if any) will be magically removed
The Royal Oak is a stunning watch from a very well respected maker, listening to other peoples views help a little, but personal experience is the only way to go otherwise you will forever wonder what if???
How many films have you seen and greatly enjoyed after a respected film critic rubbished it
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2007, 03:20 AM   #12
haakon59
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
I have no experience with AP at all other than drooling at the Offshore through the AD's window, but I would have thought if you can afford to spend that sort of cash on a watch a few scratches or service bills would be of little consequence later on.
After 5 years any mechanical watch could do with a service and all your scratches (if any) will be magically removed
The Royal Oak is a stunning watch from a very well respected maker, listening to other peoples views help a little, but personal experience is the only way to go otherwise you will forever wonder what if???
How many films have you seen and greatly enjoyed after a respected film critic rubbished it

Your Film Critic analogy is a good one. The Royal Oak gets a lot of "rave reviews" from people, although I have left them out of the comments I made to start this thread. Your point about service is well made--obviously mechanical watches require servicing. What I am worried about is having major breakdowns every 2 years or so, rather than having regular maintenance done every 5 years. I don't want to have the watch be "too expensive" to own--although this is subjective. I guess I am wondering to myself: is the maintenance on this watch "too much" for me? Will I have to maintain it so often that my feelings for the brand will turn negative? The reason I am grappling with this issue is because I really love the watch and it's design. I didn't start out that way, but now I really like it so much that I wonder if my "watch wearing experience in life will feel complete" without it. Now, I already have more than enough watches to wear and tell the time. Also, I have been quite fortunate in that just about all my watches have been good performers, whether we are talking cheap brands or expensive ones. Now I have to admit that these posts about AP were from a couple of years ago and we all know that complaints are more likely to be posted than praise, even though I have actually met 2 RO owners who love the brand, but both had their watches less than a year. I am wondering if this just might be a watch I will love for 6 months and then hate because it's constantly at the shop? I know what you are thinking: why not just stick with reliable brands like Omega, Breitling, Zenith, and Rolex? Well, you are right. Maybe I should. After all, I have been very happy with these brands. But I am debating if the AP is worth taking a chance on for me. If I had to guess, I would buy it and be very happy with it, but I have been uncertain enough that I wanted to ask around for experiences. You made some good points though, thank you.
Old 6 August 2007, 01:07 PM   #13
mostel
"TRF" Member

AP's are some of the best finished watches money can buy

If you appreciate breathtaking polish-work, satin and high polishes, amazing crisp angles of bezels, astounding attention to detail... you will not think they are overpriced. I've never heard of them being anything but excellent quality--(til today, and I'm surprised). I love the original RO's, but I don't like almost any thing else AP makes--and I pretty much can't stand the Offshore line... the original RO is a design icon, copied by many brands including Patek, IWC, Vacheron, the list goes on.... the bracelet is a singular achievement... and the original RO movements are legendary... if you are talking about a 15300, I don't love them myself... go Original, get a first or 2nd series.

Good luck
mostel is offline   Reply With Quote