The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 July 2023, 05:53 AM   #1
Wizo
"TRF" Member

New guy and the wait has begun…fell in love!

So I have visited the forums before but never thought I would buy a Rolex because I didn’t believe it was something I wanted in my life.

I wear daily my Apple Watch because of the ability to use my headphones and listen to music while taking phone calls during exercise sessions in the morning, jump into shower and check emails and screen calls when away from my phone - just convenient.

My nice watch is my Breitling Super Ocean. Still in very good condition- had it for 17years (wife bought for me when I was 25) and at that time was my daily for 5 years. Great watch and always went well with all occasions.

I do have my Dads watch - solid gold Longines that’s about 32 years old. I was with him in Gernsey (off the coast of France) when I was 9. I don’t wear this as it’s a keepsake and a little small.

Anyhow…a good friend of mine is and always has been a big Rolex enthusiast. He has shown me some of his pieces but I had never felt the urge to get one. He recently showed me his GMt Batman and I kinda fell in love with it. I always notice a nice watch but never seen one that pulled me in like that one.

Then a few days later my other friend had on a “Bluesy” and I couldn’t stop starting at it. I asked a bunch of questions and said I am going to look at one.

Stopped at a watch store and they had a 2020 GMT root beer and also a Batman. I never seen such a nice watch (gmt root beer TT) and realized that was the one. Problem was it was $26k and had no box or papers.

So right then I decided to drive to a AD and try to go the way of the Jedi. Almost put my name down for a yellow gold black dial submariner but I chose to follow my heart on the TT Root beer.

Now the wait begins and it’s only been 3 weeks and I am so anxious. I found an amazing dealer local in Orlando that has 2 / full complete but the used one is $21k…

Doing my best to try and wait it out as I want to have my first Rolex through the AD but it’s killing me. Not sure how you guys wait it out months or years for these but I am sure it’s worth the wait.
Wizo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 06:21 AM   #2
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
Welcome to the forum.
My favorite two-tone. Did you check the for sale section here? There is one for $18950 with B&P. Pretty close to retail plus tax. Just search 126711CHNR.
Good luck
MichelleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 06:37 AM   #3
jgottsman11
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: President
Yes like Michelle said, you can find one under $20,000 easily right now. Good luck!
jgottsman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 07:33 AM   #4
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I would look here for a used one. No sense to do all that waiting and then it may not even show up. AD could lose status or whatever you can think of.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 07:35 AM   #5
puma1552
"TRF" Member

Can Will a noob even get a rootbeer from an AD? We all know they can, the question is, will they?
puma1552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 08:15 AM   #6
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

The TT CHNR is a beautiful and a visually clever watch. Compared to many Professional models it is something you are more likely to get from an AD. I'm split between the TT blue Sub Date and the TT CHNR. I'd give them joint first place.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 08:47 AM   #7
R3Dprius
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizo View Post
So I have visited the forums before but never thought I would buy a Rolex because I didn’t believe it was something I wanted in my life.

I wear daily my Apple Watch because of the ability to use my headphones and listen to music while taking phone calls during exercise sessions in the morning, jump into shower and check emails and screen calls when away from my phone - just convenient.

My nice watch is my Breitling Super Ocean. Still in very good condition- had it for 17years (wife bought for me when I was 25) and at that time was my daily for 5 years. Great watch and always went well with all occasions.

I do have my Dads watch - solid gold Longines that’s about 32 years old. I was with him in Gernsey (off the coast of France) when I was 9. I don’t wear this as it’s a keepsake and a little small.

Anyhow…a good friend of mine is and always has been a big Rolex enthusiast. He has shown me some of his pieces but I had never felt the urge to get one. He recently showed me his GMt Batman and I kinda fell in love with it. I always notice a nice watch but never seen one that pulled me in like that one.

Then a few days later my other friend had on a “Bluesy” and I couldn’t stop starting at it. I asked a bunch of questions and said I am going to look at one.

Stopped at a watch store and they had a 2020 GMT root beer and also a Batman. I never seen such a nice watch (gmt root beer TT) and realized that was the one. Problem was it was $26k and had no box or papers.

So right then I decided to drive to a AD and try to go the way of the Jedi. Almost put my name down for a yellow gold black dial submariner but I chose to follow my heart on the TT Root beer.

Now the wait begins and it’s only been 3 weeks and I am so anxious. I found an amazing dealer local in Orlando that has 2 / full complete but the used one is $21k…

Doing my best to try and wait it out as I want to have my first Rolex through the AD but it’s killing me. Not sure how you guys wait it out months or years for these but I am sure it’s worth the wait.
Can we see pics of the breitling?
R3Dprius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 10:00 AM   #8
Wizo
"TRF" Member

I had to figure out to resize it…Here they are, missing my GMT.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image1.jpeg (151.6 KB, 1773 views)
Old 7 July 2023, 10:02 AM   #9
Wizo
"TRF" Member

Trying to figure this out - third vacant location is waiting for my new watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image0.jpeg (149.3 KB, 1780 views)
Old 7 July 2023, 10:34 AM   #10
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
Can Will a noob even get a rootbeer from an AD? We all know they can, the question is, will they?
I'd bet it's more likely than getting any SS as a first purchase. Maybe a 15% chance if I had to guess.
Tim Plains is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 10:48 AM   #11
Doood
"TRF" Member

I would go AD route for this reference, especially if it is your first. I think it is a good relationship builder, and the wait shouldn’t be too bad, not to mention being confident of its authenticity, and condition.
Doood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 11:16 AM   #12
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Worth the wait OP

amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 11:20 AM   #13
al7391z
"TRF" Member

Agree with trying the AD with this reference first. Welcome to the forum and the addiction. Good luck!
al7391z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 11:28 AM   #14
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Welcome to the forum!! Wait may be long but it’ll be worth it!!

(About 15 months into my BLNR (Batman) wait myself)
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 11:51 AM   #15
Wizo
"TRF" Member

Thank you all.

I understand that I am a very novice and my collection is absolutely crap. I am
Beginning my journey and will hopefully be at where I wish to be: 4-5 really nice and beautiful pieces that I can admire but also pass to my kids.

Dream garage would be the following:

Oyster flex rose gold Daytona
Two tone GMT root beer
Jubilee Batgirl
Date just rose gold
Starbucks sub
Old 7 July 2023, 01:27 PM   #16
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizo View Post
Thank you all.

I understand that I am a very novice and my collection is absolutely crap. I am
Beginning my journey and will hopefully be at where I wish to be: 4-5 really nice and beautiful pieces that I can admire but also pass to my kids.

Dream garage would be the following:

Oyster flex rose gold Daytona
Two tone GMT root beer
Jubilee Batgirl
Date just rose gold
Starbucks sub
Your collection is not “absolute crap”! You’re starting out; and you’ve held onto your dad’s watch instead of selling it to get extra cash for the pieces you want faster. That to me shows character and class. We all started somewhere. For me my first “nice” watch was a Tag Heuer Formula One quartz movement.

Just remember it’s about enjoying the journey not reaching a destination. When the James Cameron Deepsea came out it was an absolute grail of mine; a real “someday” watch as at the time I was barely making rent. Back then I would have said once I have it I’d be completely content. Now that I have it I absolutely love it and don’t have any designs to part with it, but I am looking forward to adding other pieces to my collection.
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 04:29 PM   #17
PenDelicate
"TRF" Member

Watch: P-serial 116518
From the wonderful, excited tone of you post, I'm guessing there's no way you're going to wait. I can't see you waiting even two months :-D And there's nothing wrong with that. Swing-by your local grey dealers: itch scratched.
PenDelicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 04:53 PM   #18
majidessa
"TRF" Member

If you are spending 20k on a watch go get a Pepsi
majidessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 04:55 PM   #19
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Welcome to the forum.
Good choice, arguably the most beautiful GMT ever made
Old 7 July 2023, 04:58 PM   #20
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Your collection isn't crap, it's developing. Just remember it should be fun.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 06:11 PM   #21
Little machines
"TRF" Member

Welcome to the forum! The CNHR is probably the best looking two tone watch great color configuration . Good luck with your journey !
Little machines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 07:35 PM   #22
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
I think the long ones is very nice retro look, wear it with a blackleather black bracelet with gold or silver accent detail or clasp (David Yurman or Hermes, etc ). It doesn’t even have to be an expensive one. Will make it look bigger on your writs and give a stylish edge to it. Try it, start with inexpensive one. Highly recommend , you can wear it on nights out.

My best friend has TT GMT, he wears it a lot. Cool watch.
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 09:15 PM   #23
baythan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust
Consider checking this place for a pre-owned one. It's pointless to endure the waiting only to find out it might not even appear. AD might experience a decline in status or any other possibility you can imagine.
baythan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 09:47 PM   #24
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Your location is Orlando so why not go to DavidSW's store in your city. I have never been there but the pictures are nice and he has a lot of inventory. Look at his website before you go. Go try everything on and have a discussion about pricing and availability. Remember asking price and getting price are usually slightly different. Maybe you get a watch from an AD with no buy history, more than likely, not. Or not within an acceptable time frame. Find the balance between waiting and paying msrp plus tax to going with a Trusted Seller and getting the watch you want now. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 09:55 PM   #25
Wizo
"TRF" Member

I have stopped by DavidSW and met Chris. Super nice guy and they have a very nice store. Lots of inventory and they had 2 Rootbeers for sale. If I buy at a gray market dealer than I will definitely buy from him.

Both my wife and I agree (for the time being) that I should wait at least a few months to see what happens at the AD.

I can wait - I have waited this long to get one so might as well wait it out a few months.

The AD made it seem like it will happen sooner than later. Maybe they say that to everyone but I believe her.

Hoping my next post will be the reveal and picking it up :)
Old 7 July 2023, 10:33 PM   #26
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
It’s a great choice! Hopefully not too long of a wait. Enjoy the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2023, 12:16 AM   #27
mg18
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Welcome to the addiction!

I think you have a good chance at getting the CHNR at an AD, but it may take a bit of effort.

Great choice, and good luck!
mg18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2023, 01:06 AM   #28
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum. I hope you land one sooner than later. Enjoy the anticipation
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2023, 01:25 AM   #29
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
The TT CHNR is a beautiful and a visually clever watch. Compared to many Professional models it is something you are more likely to get from an AD. I'm split between the TT blue Sub Date and the TT CHNR. I'd give them joint first place.
+1.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2023, 02:47 AM   #30
rgwarden
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
Quote:
Originally Posted by majidessa View Post
If you are spending 20k on a watch go get a Pepsi
Seriously unhelpful.
My advice is to go the official and new route with your first Rolex fwiw. It’s an unforgettable experience to be treasured and you can trust the whole experience rather than worry. It’s a lot of money to part with and i prefer having my name on the papers etc.
rgwarden is offline   Reply With Quote