The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 22 March 2024, 11:21 AM   #1
Akacoke
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
Icon3 Share your Audemars Piguet AP journey!

I don't see a thread dedicated to this topic. As someone who's fairly new into watch collecting, I find myself going back and forth between brands. AP is definitely a final destination for me and some others.

Please share your journey collecting AP time pieces here either from either AD, boutique or grey. Let's hear some stories

Old 22 March 2024, 03:03 PM   #2
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
I think at some point, you'll narrow down the brands you collect. I went through the phase of buying many different brands like Cartier, JLC, Breitling, Chopard, Panerai, IWC, Tag, and Rolex. Today, I focus on AP, PP, and Rolex while trying to get my foot in the door with FPJ.

My AP journey started 11 years ago or so. Started with mostly Offshores.
26400au, 26401or, 26405ce, 26470st, 26331or, and 67540SK (wife's). All were bought through grey dealers or AD's. Back then, grey dealers were able to get you BNIB AP's with open warranty books at 20-25% discounts.

It became pretty apparent that AP was starting to drop the AD model and shifting towards a boutique only model. That's when I decided to start a relationship with a boutique. Tried one JV boutique locally and didn't like the interaction. Walked into a boutique in another city not realizing it was owned by the same people that owned the one local to me. This was back in 2017 or 2018 and started with the same SA I have today.

Purchased a 26470or from them in 2019. Then the boutique went through the transition from being JV to AP owned. Allocations were tight during that time.

Since the transition, I've been allocated the 15500st, 26574st, 16202st (50th), 15416ce, two-15551st's (wife's/different colors), and a 77350ce (wife's).

Due to the fact that I had been collecting AP's way prior to the craze and had diversity within the brand (ROO's), I was never asked or guided towards buying anything I didn't have interest in. It's been a fun journey, my SA has been fantastic, and I don't see it stopping anytime soon. They always seem to come out with something new that I want.

Wish you the best on your own AP journey.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 04:44 PM   #3
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

In my signature. First watch was 2019.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 04:49 PM   #4
TheHolyLuck
"TRF" Member

Started with 26238ti in 2022, then 15551st for wife in 2023, next and still in 2023 code 11.59 of 38mm crème for wife, then february 2024 15210qt.
Now I am waiting for a 15407 steel or gold before the end of the year. Otherwise the new version in end 2024.
TheHolyLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 08:25 PM   #5
gptwc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHolyLuck View Post
Started with 26238ti in 2022, then 15551st for wife in 2023, next and still in 2023 code 11.59 of 38mm crème for wife, then february 2024 15210qt.
Now I am waiting for a 15407 steel or gold before the end of the year. Otherwise the new version in end 2024.

So your SA has confirmed you that you are on the waiting list of 15407? Seems you have a angel SA and the path was not too tough
gptwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2024, 01:25 AM   #6
abrosz
"TRF" Member

I live in Nebraska. Nearest AD is Chicago. Started inquiring about my first AP in 2019. Five years, five boutiques contacted, flights to two empty boutiques visited, three sales associates later and I still don't have the piece I originally inquired about. I have repeatedly been offered or steered toward pieces I don't want and didn't ask for, Code 11:59, ROO, ladies pieces, and a Remaster01. The boutiques are essentially devoid of pieces to view or try on, and how dare you ask to see a Royal Oak in precious metal or an ultrathin.

Most recently had a 1-hour long conversation with the flagship boutique manager in New York. Flat out told that new clients aren't allocated Royal Oaks. New clients aren't allocated anything with a blue or green dial. AP considers itself a "steel company" and so precious metals pieces are exceedingly rare. She could offer me pieces with dial colors that I didn't want and should be thankful for it. The brand has more business than it can possibly handle right now and if I didn't like these stipulations she invited me to the secondary market. She pointed out that AP pieces are going for quite the premium on the secondary market and how many investments do I know that appreciate 75% on purchase (as if I were going to flip one.) The brand doesn't want one-and-done clients. Most importantly, however, was that she has literally no control over, nor insight into, her own inventory. She has no idea what Le Brassus is going to send her at any given time. The pieces just show up and she allocates them. She can't order pieces. She has no idea what she'll have for sale or when. Because of this she can't commit to any time frame on pieces.

Takeaways for new clients:

1) Buyer beware. Royal Oaks are tied to the purchase of Codes, Offshores, and lesser demand pieces. You'll eat the instant depreciation on the Code 11, Offshore, or lesser demand piece.
2) Even if you purchase something you're less than excited about, there is no guarantee you'll be allocated what you want, when you want.
3) AP boutiques have no control over their own inventory and don't know what they'll have for sale.
4) The brand has more business than it needs and can therefore leverage the sale of lesser demand pieces against desirable ones.
5) The premium you're going to pay under the pay-to-play scheme is likely higher than what you'll pay secondary market.
6) Your sales associate has nothing to sell you. He/She doesn't allocate the pieces. He/She doesn't know what he'll have for sale. He/She also likely has 1000s of other clients you're competing with for an allocation. How he/she keeps you straight from the other clients represented is unclear, but rest assured, he/she is going to allocate for you.
7) The only reliable supply from the brand is on the secondary market. You'll pay a premium for some, but some Codes can be purchased at a significant discount. Even Royal Oak premiums aren't too bad if you're willing to go back a reference or two.

Needless to say I have closed down my client interest list and asked not to be contacted by the boutiques again. The brand doesn't know what it has to sell or when, and has refused allocation of everything I might be interested in. Planning my first AP purchase in the coming months. Going gray.

Incidentally, the Client Care in Florida is very helpful. Offered to cross reference the serial number of any piece under consideration on the secondary market against AP records to help ensure authenticity. Very willing to answer questions. You'll need an online account to register or service anything you purchase secondary market.
abrosz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2024, 03:49 AM   #7
watchman124
"TRF" Member

I went through a phase of buying a lot of different brands early on. Now I focus almost exclusively on AP and RM. Don't have interest in Patek and lost interest in Rolex due to the treatment I received from ADs. Started with a rose gold Code, a Diamond Bezel Offshore, and my last piece was a ROC 41 Blue Dial. I also have a 15510ST Blue and 15510BC Ltd 100 Ice Blue I bought gray.

I'm trying to figure out where I want to go with AP. I pretty much only want a Jumbo, a Skeleton, and a QP at this point from them.

For what it's worth, I've found RM a bit more straightforward to deal with in terms of allocations/pieces which I appreciate. They'll be a lot more upfront with what you can and can't get whereas AP I find myself doing a repeated dance on the "journey", which can be quite frustrating, but I love a lot of their watches.
watchman124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2024, 04:29 AM   #8
rolexandlange
"TRF" Member

One day I started thinking about a Jumbo Royal Oak, its thinness, history, and wondering how it would wear on my wrist. For a long time I was thinking about it. After not being able to stop thinking about it, I bought one from David Bui. Since then I have worn it a lot. This is the entirety of my journey, I've really enjoyed it.
rolexandlange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2024, 07:49 AM   #9
Akacoke
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
I think at some point, you'll narrow down the brands you collect. I went through the phase of buying many different brands like Cartier, JLC, Breitling, Chopard, Panerai, IWC, Tag, and Rolex. Today, I focus on AP, PP, and Rolex while trying to get my foot in the door with FPJ.

Wish you the best on your own AP journey.

Thanks for sharing this. I I mainly have Rolexs and over last year or so I added Tudor Omega. Gonna get a panerai as well. But I always know AP is where it's at for me it's just hard to get in the door since I'm so picky on what to own.
Old 23 March 2024, 07:56 AM   #10
Akacoke
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=watchman124;13198101]. Don't have interest in Patek and lost interest in Rolex due to the treatment I received from ADs. /QUOTE]

While I have pretty good spend history with my Rolex AD and they treat me well. But I just know they won't offer me the watches I want without me buying 100k of the watches I don't want. While there still might be hope but I'm somewhat Rolexed out.
Old 30 March 2024, 06:05 PM   #11
vwc228
"TRF" Member

Have just picked up my first AP - the Jules AP Chrono (WG with ivory dial), ref. 26100BC.

The watch was discontinued about 10 years ago and they were never really that popular to begin with, but I just loved the vintage look of it. I've been hunting one down for sometime, waiting to find it at a reputable pre-owned dealer so I can purchase it comfortably. I finally did, and I have to say I'm in love with this watch. The size is perfect for me, and the fact that it's a somewhat un-AP AP makes it even more special.

This was my first AP (I own a number of other watches, from VC, Rolex, Moser and IWC) and still hoping to get more AP's but frankly from what I'm seeing from the AP boutiques that doesn't look like it's going to happen.

I'm actually one of the few people that really loves the code (especially the beige 3 hander and chrono), and have been waiting for sometime now for the boutique to get one for me but to no avail. The irony is that I've found these brand new in reputable gray market dealers selling for 20% off MSRP (and that's without me even negotiating with them), but chose not to buy it as I'd like to build my profile with AP.

Heck, the AP boutique won't even sell me a new strap for my watch (which is a pretty standard black leather strap) - guess I'm on the waitlist for that too :)

I will probably end up picking up the code and then the RO chrono in the grey-market and call it a day with AP :(
vwc228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 07:46 PM   #12
ikincooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Lengthy post OP, but it’ll give you a decent overview of my journey which it’s fair to say has been long and which hopefully hasn’t finished yet!

My first mechanical watch, a Nomos Tangomat was purchased in around 2012, followed by an IWC Pilot Chrono a year or so later and both from a WOS AD in Manchester (north England).

My first Rolex came in 2015, a SubC (ND) followed by a handful of others (BLNR, SD4K, DJ, Explorer 1 and YM 37 OF) all from a different WOS AD except for the SD4K which was from the grey market and which eventually lead to me obtaining a SS Daytona (from the AD) in early 2023. I still wear and enjoy my Nomos and Daytona and don’t see these ever leaving my small collection.

My awareness and interest in AP, started back around 2017/18, whilst spending time in Hong Kong on family holidays, something we’ve done many times since my wife is from HK. I recall seeing the funky coloured Divers and naively wanting/asking for a blue dial 15450 that ultimately came to nothing. I was then and still now flip flop between the 37 mm V’s 41 mm RO and have always admired the silver/white dial when seen in person.

Fast forward to early 2022 and I reached out to AP London, given that during COVID our trips to HK got curtailed. I still wanted a blue RO, either the 15550 or the larger 15510 and I settled on the larger 41 size. As it was made clear a Blue RO was highly unlikely, I registered my interest in the white/silver dial 15510. Over the past 2 years, I must have made 3 subsequent trips to AP House London, most recently trying on the grey offshore diver back in Sept 2023, which I decided to add to my wish list.

Impatience got the better of me and with the used market softening, I managed to grab a nearly new diver from the first owner at the end of Nov 2023 and I’m absolutely loving it, however it has needed to go in for some warranty attention as the time keeping fell off a cliff (loosing 5 mins plus per day!). I’m not letting this dampen my enjoyment and am keen to receive it back, likely end of April/May time.

I guess maybe I’m not the sort of customer that AP wants (?) and tbh I’ve stopped chasing things along with London, so doubt I’ll be getting a call anytime soon.

For what it’s worth, I’ve enjoyed the journey and the watches and boutique visits I’ve experienced along the way.

Niki

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ikincooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 09:58 PM   #13
vwc228
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=ikincooper;13207193]
I guess maybe I’m not the sort of customer that AP wants (?) and tbh I’ve stopped chasing things along with London, so doubt I’ll be getting a call anytime soon.

Ya, I think I'm in the same boat as you. I don't really have the desire to chase the boutique for the watch I've asked for (which is a code - you'd think it shouldn't be too difficult to get?!). If I get the call in a timely manner, than great but it's not something that I will pursue. I've passed up the chance to get the code that I want on the gray market for a very good price thinking that I'd rather wait to get it from the AD, but I won't be doing that again.
vwc228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2024, 02:06 PM   #14
4reRlxGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3970
During covid dropped by the S Coast Plaza Boutique and introduced myself and created a profile. About 18 months later found out from a fellow collector that the majority of staff had been released by corp due to less than desirable activities that had occurred. Called and scheduled another meeting after hearing the news. Created a new profile with a new SA.

It's been about 6 months since the 2nd profile was set up with no contact. I did txt my SA over the holidays.

Ended up buying one of the profile pieces going grey for about $13k less than what I would have paid at a local Boutique.
4reRlxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2024, 04:56 PM   #15
BlondesNwatches
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrosz View Post
I live in Nebraska. Nearest AD is Chicago. Started inquiring about my first AP in 2019. Five years, five boutiques contacted, flights to two empty boutiques visited, three sales associates later and I still don't have the piece I originally inquired about. I have repeatedly been offered or steered toward pieces I don't want and didn't ask for, Code 11:59, ROO, ladies pieces, and a Remaster01. The boutiques are essentially devoid of pieces to view or try on, and how dare you ask to see a Royal Oak in precious metal or an ultrathin.

Most recently had a 1-hour long conversation with the flagship boutique manager in New York. Flat out told that new clients aren't allocated Royal Oaks. New clients aren't allocated anything with a blue or green dial. AP considers itself a "steel company" and so precious metals pieces are exceedingly rare. She could offer me pieces with dial colors that I didn't want and should be thankful for it. The brand has more business than it can possibly handle right now and if I didn't like these stipulations she invited me to the secondary market. She pointed out that AP pieces are going for quite the premium on the secondary market and how many investments do I know that appreciate 75% on purchase (as if I were going to flip one.) The brand doesn't want one-and-done clients. Most importantly, however, was that she has literally no control over, nor insight into, her own inventory. She has no idea what Le Brassus is going to send her at any given time. The pieces just show up and she allocates them. She can't order pieces. She has no idea what she'll have for sale or when. Because of this she can't commit to any time frame on pieces.

Takeaways for new clients:

1) Buyer beware. Royal Oaks are tied to the purchase of Codes, Offshores, and lesser demand pieces. You'll eat the instant depreciation on the Code 11, Offshore, or lesser demand piece.
2) Even if you purchase something you're less than excited about, there is no guarantee you'll be allocated what you want, when you want.
3) AP boutiques have no control over their own inventory and don't know what they'll have for sale.
4) The brand has more business than it needs and can therefore leverage the sale of lesser demand pieces against desirable ones.
5) The premium you're going to pay under the pay-to-play scheme is likely higher than what you'll pay secondary market.
6) Your sales associate has nothing to sell you. He/She doesn't allocate the pieces. He/She doesn't know what he'll have for sale. He/She also likely has 1000s of other clients you're competing with for an allocation. How he/she keeps you straight from the other clients represented is unclear, but rest assured, he/she is going to allocate for you.
7) The only reliable supply from the brand is on the secondary market. You'll pay a premium for some, but some Codes can be purchased at a significant discount. Even Royal Oak premiums aren't too bad if you're willing to go back a reference or two.

Needless to say I have closed down my client interest list and asked not to be contacted by the boutiques again. The brand doesn't know what it has to sell or when, and has refused allocation of everything I might be interested in. Planning my first AP purchase in the coming months. Going gray.

Incidentally, the Client Care in Florida is very helpful. Offered to cross reference the serial number of any piece under consideration on the secondary market against AP records to help ensure authenticity. Very willing to answer questions. You'll need an online account to register or service anything you purchase secondary market.
What pieces were on your wish list?
BlondesNwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2024, 01:19 AM   #16
dbfagan
"TRF" Member

This:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...hlight=Dbfagan
dbfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2024, 03:34 AM   #17
Akacoke
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfagan View Post
This is an amazing ROC. It's My 2nd choice from the 39mm ROC line up. My 1st choice 39mm ROC is pretty similar and rare but not expensive. I'm patiently waiting for one to pop up for sell.
Old 1 April 2024, 06:07 AM   #18
Napaswar
"TRF" Member

Started from 15500 approx 4 Years ago and got 15407 as the latest acquisition from AP house. Aiming for some 150 yrs pieces and I've no idea about the upcoming releases.
Napaswar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2024, 06:20 AM   #19
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napaswar View Post
Started from 15500 approx 4 Years ago and got 15407 as the latest acquisition from AP house. Aiming for some 150 yrs pieces and I've no idea about the upcoming releases.
Nice! What were the pick ups along the way? What a solid start and latest acquisition. 15407 is my favorite.
Old 1 April 2024, 09:42 AM   #20
Rmoor
"TRF" Member

2 AP’s from grey dealers. AP could care less about my broke ass they care more about allocating several pieces a year to the same high profile clients that post every incoming on insta to make us peasants jealous 😂
Rmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2024, 02:37 PM   #21
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmoor View Post
2 AP’s from grey dealers. AP could care less about my broke ass they care more about allocating several pieces a year to the same high profile clients that post every incoming on insta to make us peasants jealous 😂
Unfortunate but this does seem like what’s it’s come to generally. But to be fair my SA hates the bandwagon IG influencers/youtubers/tik tokers who are fly by night watch enthusiasts or just want to flex.
Old 1 April 2024, 06:09 PM   #22
Napaswar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
Nice! What were the pick ups along the way? What a solid start and latest acquisition. 15407 is my favorite.
ROO Panda 26170 was the actual solid start back in 2018 from Gray before started a relationship with Boutique in 2022 and, along the way, purchased ROs, ROOs, Codes and diamond piece for my partner (love all of them and in rotation for daily used until now).
15407 is my favorite too but prefer Jumbo from the size and comfort on my wrist.
Napaswar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2024, 11:55 PM   #23
jellie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4reRlxGuy View Post
During covid dropped by the S Coast Plaza Boutique and introduced myself and created a profile. About 18 months later found out from a fellow collector that the majority of staff had been released by corp due to less than desirable activities that had occurred. Called and scheduled another meeting after hearing the news. Created a new profile with a new SA.

It's been about 6 months since the 2nd profile was set up with no contact. I did txt my SA over the holidays.

Ended up buying one of the profile pieces going grey for about $13k less than what I would have paid at a local Boutique.
Think you absolutely made the right call. I had some dealings with this boutique as well, liked the first SA I met last year (who subsequently left unfortunately), and I was passed onto someone else. While they seemed friendly I suspect they are not able to keep me straight with other clients and grey increasingly is looking like an appealing and stress free approach
jellie is offline   Reply With Quote