The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 January 2010, 11:34 AM   #91
canadian seadweller
"TRF" Member

Breitling V Rolex?

Hi. Just thought I would throw my two cents worth into this interesting conversation.
Like someone else mentioned earlier, IMO, Rolex makes a better investment watch. I purchased a Submariner back in 1987 which then had a list price of $1800. I sold it several years later without the box/papers and basically got my money back. Last year, before purchasing my seadweller, a local dealer was sellling the same model and approximately the same year for $4500. As I understand it, Rolex deliberately under produce their watches and dislike offering discounts. A rolex owner once remarked that you essentially own your rolex for free because if/when you sell it, you can get all your money back as was in my case.
That being said, Breitling has some very attractive watches that are also attractively priced, and I'm not skilled enough to say whether the quality of a rolex alone would justify the higher price.
I'm considering buying another watch but can't decide between Omega, Breitling, or Doxa. Decisions, decisions.
canadian seadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2010, 02:32 AM   #92
bokmeipai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widows Son View Post
That's too easy!!! Out of these two I'll take the.....Breitling!!!
IMO Rolex is a more superior watch and holds value better. But it's all a matter of preferences.
bokmeipai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2010, 10:49 AM   #93
mr.clean
Banned

Rolex is way too conservative for me. I've tried them on and they feel too small.
mr.clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2010, 11:58 AM   #94
jcatral14
"TRF" Member

Watch: aholic
I think what hurts Breitling in the eyes of Rolex fans is the fact that one can get a Breitling at a big discount. This deep discounting has a negative effect on the brand and is perceived as a sign of lower quality. If you discount that fact (pun intended), you can see that pound for pound (or milligram for milligram) a Breitling is every bit as good as a Rollie any day of the week.

My 0.02 on the subject

jcatral14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2010, 12:21 PM   #95
mr.clean
Banned

I'll take all the big discounts I can get!!! plus I think it's a more attractive watch.
who brags about paying full retail? No one. Maybe we can find the most expensive retailer and all buy our stuff their to be cool.
mr.clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2010, 02:52 PM   #96
shuarma

Watch: Patek 5070
rolex is a lot more famous than breitling IMO, but they're a bit too mainstream for me. i would take a breitling over a rolex.
shuarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2010, 09:36 PM   #97
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Silly question to ask on a Rolex Forum IMO
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2010, 12:24 PM   #98
Blimms

Watch: Rolex/Breitling/BR
I just pulled the trigger on a Breitling World Navitimer - I love it !!! Compared to my PL/SS Yachtmaster ................the wife likes the Breitling much better. I still love the Yachtmaster, but it's about to get less wrist.
Blimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2010, 01:31 PM   #99
bewithabob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona Meteorite
Breitling depreciation is 40-50% from day one... new stock is often discounted by retailers by at least 25-35%...

116509 Daytona Meteorite, 116520 Daytona Black, 116710 GMTIIC, 16013 DATEJUST,
CARTIER SANTOS 100 W20090X8, IWC Big Pilot, IWC Top Gun

"Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it's not the end."
bewithabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2010, 11:21 AM   #100
obmto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewithabob View Post
Breitling depreciation is 40-50% from day one... new stock is often discounted by retailers by at least 25-35%...
And you getting those numbers where?

The retail on a Chronomat Evo is $5840. Where on earth are you going to find one at $3800 (35% reduction) new at an AD? And where on earth are you going find a one day old Chronomat Evo for $1900 (50% depreciation after getting one for 35% off).

Stop being ridiculous.
obmto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2010, 12:13 PM   #101
kizerman
Banned

I own both and they are too different to compare.

The only issue I have with Rolex is the sizes of their mens watches. They have refused (other than the recent DSSD) to increase the case size and the 40mm's look almost feminine to me now. I know 3 women who wear 40mm Rolexes and none of them weigh more than 120 lbs.

I'm not looking for a 46mm Rolex, but come one, change with the times a bit...or atleast adjust to the size increase in human beings!

I think a 42mm sub or GMT option would be nice and very popular. After wearing a 44mm PAM or a Breitling, my Rolex just looks so small on my wrist.
kizerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2010, 01:13 PM   #102
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokmeipai View Post
IMO Rolex is a more superior watch and holds value better. But it's all a matter of preferences.
Out of those TWO, I'd take the Breitling. I just can't get excited about the gold bezel on the Rolex. Now if you asked me to pick between a ND SD and an Emergency, it would be the Rolex.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2010, 03:37 PM   #103
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by kizerman View Post
I own both and they are too different to compare.

The only issue I have with Rolex is the sizes of their mens watches. They have refused (other than the recent DSSD) to increase the case size and the 40mm's look almost feminine to me now. I know 3 women who wear 40mm Rolexes and none of them weigh more than 120 lbs.

I'm not looking for a 46mm Rolex, but come one, change with the times a bit...or atleast adjust to the size increase in human beings!

I think a 42mm sub or GMT option would be nice and very popular. After wearing a 44mm PAM or a Breitling, my Rolex just looks so small on my wrist.
I agree...yet I think you'll find the majority on this forum prefer status quo and therefore resist change. Even mentioning a Sub going to 40+mm around these parts seems to quickly take on a sacrilegious tone that is nothing but blaspheme...oh yeah, and don't even get me started on the reaction to a...hold your breathe...dare I say it...Daytona-Date! If I read one more, "The Daytona is PERFECT, don't change an ICON" I'm going to puke. No watch is 'perfect', yet all too often many seem to think that's the case.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2010, 08:39 AM   #104
mike516
"TRF" Member

I think Rolex is definitely classier. Breitling's are nice...but I'm actually not a big fan of there stainless steel bracelets. Much bigger fan of the Oyster bracelet.
mike516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2010, 12:09 PM   #105
kizerman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike516 View Post
I think Rolex is definitely classier. Breitling's are nice...but I'm actually not a big fan of there stainless steel bracelets. Much bigger fan of the Oyster bracelet.
Im not a big fan of the high polished bracelets but the Pro II in brushed steel is awesome.
kizerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2010, 12:56 AM   #106
Nucengineer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Navitmer 1 B01
I own both presently and have owned many previously. If you ask the question, if you can only buy Rolex or Breitling going forward IMHO, I think Breitling offers alot more diversity of watches and their build quality is better. Even though they are using ETA movements their accuracy is hard to question as all their movements are COSC after they are done tweaking them. Although they don't fetch as much on the resale market as Rolex, you can, in a lot of instances buy two Breitlings for the price of one Rolex. Give Breitling a few more years with the development of their own in house movements (B01 and Superquartz and more to follow I'm sure) and they will be comming on even stronger.
PS I've owned 3 different speedmasters and a planet ocean and although they are fine watches in many ways, I think for the above average working man that Breitling, Omega and then Rolex offers the most bang for the buck in that order.
That being said, my favorite watch is still my Seadweller.

Regards,

Jim

Regards,

Jim
Nucengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2010, 01:55 AM   #107
mandrew
"TRF" Member

apples and oranges, love them both

Had the pleasure of owning a 14060m for 7 years but unfortunately lost it just before christmas. Went last week to replace it and couldn't believe it had gone from £1980 to £3460! Whats changed apart from filling up the holes and putting COSC on the front. My old watch met COSC continually and so it should for 2k. Thought I'd have a look at the Breitlings as I've never owned one. For just under 2k I got a colt II an absolutely stunning and well made watch and the girlfriend a beautiful ring for £1500. As far as I can see the Colt is well better value than the rolex. Just a bit unsure about Breitling using ETA, do they do a lot of work on them?
mandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2010, 04:59 AM   #108
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Nothing wrong with ETA movements, tweeked or otherwise, workhorse movements that will go forever.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2010, 09:37 AM   #109
blackmsport
Banned

I own both (speedmaster & superocean) love them both
blackmsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2010, 04:47 PM   #110
AAMD11
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Worldtimer
I prefer a Breitling over a Rolex, a lot more diversity in Breitling. I would not underestimate ETA movement tho even as they are tweaked by several manufacturers.
AAMD11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2010, 10:59 PM   #111
mandrew
"TRF" Member

Yep the ETA's fine only gained 22 seconds since I set it on 19th Feb, so only approx +2 secs per day. I can stop worrying now.
mandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2010, 03:07 AM   #112
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by banned4life View Post
Breitling has a much diverse lineup. all rolexes look the same to me and are too small
Erm this is a Rolex forum....stupid thing to say.

And they all look the same? so you think a Daytona, Yachtmaster 2 and Sub all look the same?

Yeh right....whatever!
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2010, 08:15 AM   #113
obmto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Erm this is a Rolex forum....stupid thing to say.

And they all look the same? so you think a Daytona, Yachtmaster 2 and Sub all look the same?

Yeh right....whatever!
Yachmaster 2 and Sub yes. So you now have 2 different looking watches.

How many models are based of the Submariner case anyways? Talk about boring...
Old 4 March 2010, 12:54 AM   #114
stusrt
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by jands8916 View Post
How do you think Breitling and Rolex compete at every level? Breitling seems to be sold everywhere and are not as exclusive, which to me cheapens the brand. In addition, their product line is all over the map, like TAG.
Your thoughts?
I have to say - there seems to be 3 or 4 Rolex AD's in Michigan for every Breitling AD.
I love them both - but I probably spot 20 Rolexes around Detroit for every Breitling I see.

I have owned several of both brands, and I will not pick a fav.
You simply cannot compare - I don't think someone wanting to buy a Skyland at $3k is going to change his mind for a DSSD at $10k.
And someone wanting a DJII is not going to want a Super Avenger.
stusrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2010, 12:57 AM   #115
stusrt
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many
and if you need something really super-duper complex (like a chrono AND date)
you have to go with Breitling.
stusrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2010, 07:53 AM   #116
scrog10
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 2c
Breitling started out in 1884 and Rolex as far as know started around 1906. How do Rolex have more history. I think the Rolex movements are smoother than Breitlings I have owned but Breitling finish their watches better in my opinion. Rolex cant be bothered to polish between the lugs. Then they have the cheek to charge more and more each year without improvement. Value its Breitling resale its Rolex.
scrog10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2010, 08:41 AM   #117
obmto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrog10 View Post
Breitling started out in 1884 and Rolex as far as know started around 1906. How do Rolex have more history. I think the Rolex movements are smoother than Breitlings I have owned but Breitling finish their watches better in my opinion. Rolex cant be bothered to polish between the lugs. Then they have the cheek to charge more and more each year without improvement. Value its Breitling resale its Rolex.
Breitling was a pioneer in chronograph movements. I say that's a pretty good history.
Old 4 March 2010, 09:49 AM   #118
maxxor
Banned

earlier i read a comment that the problem with rolex is everyone thinks your wearing a fake....

and their arent fake breitlings and omegas everywhere also????

for what its worth....heres my rank:

1) Rolex
2) Omega
3) Breitling

as for the posers with fakes?

maxxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2010, 04:17 PM   #119
Omega21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Flightmaster
This is a great thread. I agree with the earlier poster who said he likes the Rolex bracelets better - I have to agree. I think the Rolex bracelets are very elegant and a better fit in formal/professional settings vice the Breitling bracelets that are very sporty (to my eye). I just don't care for the Breitling bracelet look - especially that diagnoal cut design like on the Pro IIs.
I also agree with the above, based on my experience, that fit/finish on Breitlings is slightly better then Rolex. Beyond that when it comes to size, diversity of design, dial layouts, movements, etc. that as long as you compare apples to apples (i.e. don't compare the high end of one brand to low end of the other) it really boils down to opinion and what you are looking for at that particular time.
To those that have complained about Rolex raising their prices, take a look at Breitling's price trend over the last 15 years - remember, prices are a function of demand not improvements in the watch.
Omega21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2010, 02:39 AM   #120
gtopaul
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=maxxor;1692570]earlier i read a comment that the problem with rolex is everyone thinks your wearing a fake...[QUOTE]

That's pretty much my opinion also. I just don't feel Rolex's are as contemporary styled as Breitling's. Plus almost every Rolex owner I've spoken to locally knows absolutely nothing about his watch other than what it cost. Just different watches for different likes I suppose.
gtopaul is offline   Reply With Quote