The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 17 February 2020, 02:37 AM   #1
jurob
"TRF" Member

Oris divers 65 watch

I’m interested in this watch. Nice look and size that I’m looking for and the price seems reasonable.

I looked on eBay to get an idea of what they go for new and used and see many older Oris watches (not 65) that are basically throw away $20 watches.

Resale is not the most important factor to me, but I don’t want $1000+ watch to be worth $20 in 10 years, might as get an Orient Mako or similar.

Opinions on the Oris 65 and the brand itself?
jurob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 12:38 PM   #2
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Love the divers 65 (own it)- for sure it will tank in value , such is the brand, esp with the number of diff D65 models now. Depreciation is not as bad as non-modern Oris though (I think), as the modern oris are of higher quality IMO.

If you are concerned about resale, Oris isn’t for you. When I bought mine, it wasn’t a consideration as I knew selling it in the future would not be worth it. I bought it bc the watch spoke to me (design, size), and got it at a good discount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 01:39 PM   #3
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

The Divers Sixty-Five is solid. I wear mine on weekends and sometimes for situations when I know I might be knocking my watch on something. It’s been great at the beach and the pool. A terrific summer watch! If you’re concerned about it losing value I suggest looking for a pre-owned one.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 02:46 PM   #4
Dr.Stu
2024 Pledge Member

I think it's pretty safe to say the modern Oris Diver's sixty-fives will never be $20 watches.

I think Oris punches well above its weight, price wise, in terms of both quality and appreciation by watch enthusiasts. It's one of those watches that tends to speak to a lot of people & if you are one of them, & it's in your price range, I think it is well worth it.

If you love the watch and are concerned about it losing too much value, you can look at one of the "limited" editions when they come out- something like the Divers Sixty-Five "Honey" for The Rake and Revolution LE. Something like that might hold it's value more, but note that the Rake & Revolution one was $1900, & the Hodinkee one was $2200 (I think), so you will pay more, but will probably retain more value.

Personally, I'd buy the one I like to wear & enjoy and not worry about any depreciation.
Dr.Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 02:49 PM   #5
Dr.Stu
2024 Pledge Member

Oh, and if anyone is willing to part with a RedBar red one...
Dr.Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 01:27 AM   #6
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Love the (modern) original- my only gripe is the bezel which feels cheap when rotating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 11:58 AM   #7
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

I tried on the one with the bronze bezel edges (not sure what they are calling it, 40mm) and it felt and looked like it fit my wrist perfectly. I was quite impressed with it. Will consider it i the future for sure.

Edit:
This one... I like it's proportions better than (dare I say it) the 6 digit Rolex Sub.

gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 01:43 PM   #8
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
I just picked up an Oris bronze big crown pointer date. And I had exactly the same concerns about the brand. However, it is such an inexpensive watch, in the end of the day, I just did it because I love the watch. I find it to be outstanding quality (at least as far), different from so much of what you see out there, unbelievable value for the money. Ultimately the long range value of a $1000 watch, or in my case $1400 watch, is Of little concerned. If you like it, get it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 01:43 PM   #9
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 11:04 PM   #10
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

I tried on the big crown pointer date too, also a very nice watch.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 12:53 PM   #11
Justindo
"TRF" Member

The Oris 65 is a great watch, although I'd also take a look at the Rado Captain Cooks for around the same price, as it will get you an ETA movement instead of a Selita and I personally think the Rado is a higher quality piece overall.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote