The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 September 2021, 02:18 AM   #1
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Icon3 Rolex noobs green peas and freshmen !

So you’re likely new to the forum or to owning a Rolex, so let’s ask some questions;

What are your initial thoughts about Rolex ownership?

Are you satisfied with the first one you chose to dive in with?

Are there things you would change about the experience or would do differently?

How did you acquire your first Rolex?

And, thanks for joining the forum.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 02:28 AM   #2
RareBird
"TRF" Member

I joined the forum after I made my first "wish list" at the AD. Lots of good info here but now I'm very discouraged about the wait. I'm probably going to go grey for my first purchase. I'm deciding between a bluesy, batgirl, pepsi, or an explorer 2 with a white dial. Decisions, decisions. Also, what grey dealer to pull the trigger at. Preferably one who accepts crypto.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 05:02 AM   #3
relix63
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
So you’re likely new to the forum or to owning a Rolex, so let’s ask some questions;

What are your initial thoughts about Rolex ownership?

Are you satisfied with the first one you chose to dive in with?

Are there things you would change about the experience or would do differently?

How did you acquire your first Rolex?

And, thanks for joining the forum.
I'm not completely new to Rolex but I am new to this forum and the current Rolex market. I bought my Sub via a grey dealer at a discount years ago. Imagine my surprise when I decided to buy my first new Rolex at an AD this past June.

It was quite an eye opener. I had no concept of waitlists or scarcity for that matter. The last time I considered picking up a new watch there were still some available in the cases at my local AD. No comment on my experience yet but I can say this forum has been a wealth of information. There's a lot of noise to cut through but worth it.
relix63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 05:19 AM   #4
HelloMelo
"TRF" Member

Been a member for a few years. Bought my first DJ41 as a wedding gift for myself. Have been pretty absent until last December when I randomly dropped by my AD and they offered me a sub no-date.

Been wearing the sub for a few months and have the itch again to add more to my collection. Spoke with the AD today and he quoted me 1-2 year wait for a BLNR and 5 for a Cermit. I don't mind the wait but hoping that it will be a lot earlier than that.
HelloMelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 07:40 AM   #5
Steve318a
"TRF" Member

I've been lurking here for a few years ago, ever since I took an interest (addiction) to luxury watches. I started with an IWC Portuguese, then added a Breitling Navitimer and an Omega Seamaster. They're all great in their own way, but I've been dying to add a Rolex to my humble collection.

My first trip to my local AD was not encouraging. I went in and expressed that I was hoping to add my first Rolex to my small collection, and would love to start off with a steel DJ (did not even specify size). I mentioned that I'm well aware that it may be a long wait, but I'm not really in a rush. I was politely told that every men's steel Rolex was already allocated well into next year, and that they weren't interested in taking any of my information. I was surprised that they didn't even make an attempt to humor me.
Steve318a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 07:48 AM   #6
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I’m still a noob
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 08:37 AM   #7
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Thanks for the comments. I’m always curious about how new owners feel about the Rolex journey.

I also know many many others don’t but I think it’s good to learn from your experiences.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 08:50 AM   #8
Dav1dB
"TRF" Member

just put myself on a list at a AD for a DJ41, fluted, jubilee, slate dial. Hoping to have it before my wedding next May. Fingers crossed!
Dav1dB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 08:56 AM   #9
ronvenna
"TRF" Member

Got tired of waiting over a year and a half for a Pepsi, and couldn't imagine waiting for the other watches I really want. So I just said yolo and just ended up going gray and buying a 126710BLRO Pepsi, 116710BLNR Batman, and a 114060 no-date sub for my daily. Now I am done buying Rolexes LOL
ronvenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 09:50 AM   #10
Stickboy
"TRF" Member

I'm still waiting on my first one. Came close today, my local AD had one come in, just not in the configuration I wanted.

I plan on purchasing my first Rolex from my local AD.

My experience has been good so far. The manager of my local AD is really nice. She has offered me similar watches to the one I want, and keeps in touch.

The only thing I would change, is that Rolex should let ADs change the configurations on new watches. Like swapping to a different bracelet.
Stickboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 09:52 AM   #11
zab
"TRF" Member

I bought my first Rolex, a steel DJ36, at an AD in April this year. I stumbled upon the configuration I like most and bought it on a whim. No champagne, no discount, no fireworks. I enjoy it very much and wear it almost daily as a dress watch to work.

Being very impressed with the brand, I wanted to add a submariner to my collection shortly after. I had no clue that there was a Rolex shortage or that you had to wait 3 years to get a hot sports model. I bought a Black Bay 58 on the secondary market in order to scratch the itch. It worked for a few weeks, but I grew tired of it and it only made my lusting for a submariner worse. I sold it, at a loss, and ended up buying a sub 124060 from a trusted grey seller. Great watch and I am happy to say that I can stop there, I think.

I learned a lot during the past 6 months. I made a few mistakes, fortunately nothing fatal. It’s been fun, daunting and at times frustrating. I am happy with my current collection and I will be taking a break. I have expressed my interest in a BLRO and presume, maybe naively, that I am on a “list” of some sorts. I have no high hopes and the wait time for the next addition may in fact be salutary.
zab is offline   Reply With Quote