The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 11 November 2018, 10:25 PM   #31
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by faimag View Post
This is a lovely ref and VC is right there at the top. But I prefer the first gen (49140) to be honest. I just can't get pass the uneven subdial sizes on the 49150. At least they could have put the uneven subdial at 6 o'clock. (kind of like in the Royal Eagle). The third gen fixed that, but then again I am no fan of the date at 4.5 o'clock. Which is why I prefer the first gen... But hey, you can't go wrong with either.
I actually prefer a more subtle date aperture at 4 to the unmissable 12, maybe apart from on the Dato. At 3 is ideal but date placement is not a bugbear of mine.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2018, 09:12 AM   #32
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
My view ... the big date on this model is absolutely awesome. Perfect positioning and perfect execution, including the almost imperceptible offset of the two date discs.

The larger subdial is designed to provide greater legibility for what is the primary chrono feature. It does create an asymmetry to the dial, which some will love, some will be okay with, and others will dislike. For me, it helps add character to what is an all around cool timepiece.
Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2018, 12:40 PM   #33
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Congrats!!!

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2018, 01:03 PM   #34
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Thanks all. I appreciate that people have preferences and that is one of the things I love so much about watches. It’s the subtle differences that make a watch appeal. I love the slightly unbalanced dials but big date at the top. Love the titanium bezel which, along with the rubber strap and grey dial, “de-blings” what can otherwise be a more shiny eye catching watch.

Personally I felt the gen1 models looked a little dated (I am not a fan of the bracelet design) and while I considered the gen2 in white I’m bracelet the more low key model I bought just hit all the right notes. The gen3 is more sophisticated and classy I think but perhaps less versatile? I know they come with three straps which helps versatility but I feel the watchhead is much more formal on those. The in-house and open case back are definitely positives for the gen3 though.