The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 12 November 2018, 08:49 AM   #1
JacksonStone
Banned

Thoughts on the 00722 and 00723

I'm curious what the Paneristi make of this model. My interest is in the 42mm, but feedback on either is welcome. Since I'm a fan of the old-style bracelet, this is one of the few newer PAMs to pique my interest. I also like seeing a sandwich dial on a more modest-sized model, as well as the brushed surfaces, in contrast with the high-polish of a number of other Luminor 1950 models.

What do you guys think? Is this a return to form for the brand, or still more wandering in the woods?

JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2018, 08:56 AM   #2
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
To me straps are synonymous with Panerai, so the bracelet just doesn’t do it for me. They could also do without the word automatic.

I do like the blue seconds hand and sandwich dial though.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2018, 09:25 AM   #3
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Looks pretty similar to a 352 to me.

Only real difference is with the 352 you get the "9' and not just the second counter.

Also it'll be cheaper on the secondary market as it's been out a lot longer.

44mm though I believe so if you really want a 42mm then perhaps not the one for you.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2018, 09:34 AM   #4
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post
Looks pretty similar to a 352 to me.

Only real difference is with the 352 you get the "9' and not just the second counter.
The 352 is titanium with brown dial and has the P.9000 movement. The 722 and 723 are steel with black dial and have the P.9010 movement, which adds a full bridge, a jumping "time zone" hour hand, and is slimmer, allowing the cases to be slimmer as well. The 723 has the 9 at 9 o'clock as well, since it's a 44mm model; only the 42mm 722 is without it, which I actually prefer, as it's more symmetrical. The 722's WR is only 100m, whereas the 723 and 352 both have 300m. You'll also notice the 352 has the middle-period "plain" bracelet, whereas the bracelets on the 722 and 723 revive the half-moon links, which are a throwback to the original PAM bracelets from the '90s and 2000s.

Panerai does put out a titanium version of the 44mm, but it's on strap only.
Old 12 November 2018, 09:49 AM   #5
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
The 352 is titanium with brown dial and has the P.9000 movement. The 722 and 723 are steel with black dial and have the P.9010 movement, which adds a full bridge, and is slimmer, allowing the cases to be slimmer as well. The 723 has the 9 at 9 o'clock as well, since it's a 44mm model; only the 42mm 722 is without it, which I actually prefer, as it's more symmetrical. The 722's WR is only 100m, whereas the 723 and 352 both have 300m. You'll also notice the 352 has the mid-period bracelet, whereas the bracelets on the 722 and 723 revive the half-moon links, which are a throwback to the original PAM bracelets from the '90s and 2000s.

Apols - I had only given the 352 a cursory glance & not studied it in so much detail.

I see the dial difference and agree the black would probably look better with the steel bracelet .

At the end of the day it's you that has to be 100% sure the watch ticks all the correct box's that you'll be happy with long term and not always be thinking 'I like it, but....'

Good luck whichever one you choose.

Old 12 November 2018, 09:56 AM   #6
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post
Good luck whichever one you choose.

Old 15 November 2018, 09:03 PM   #7
erik asher
"TRF" Member

722 and 723 are great PAMs...my wife has a 722 and changes from bracelet to strap in a heartbeat...

I don’t love 42mm PAMs on men, so if it were me, I would go for the 723 but both PAMs are stunners...

I agree with one of the earlier comments that “automatic” should not be in the dial, but a small price to pay for a beautiful PAM with tons of versatility...
erik asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 06:23 AM   #8
JacksonStone
Banned

I'm glad you're liking it. With my 6.5 inch wrist, 42mm is as big as I care to go. As it is, I'm a little concerned with the long lugs and the possibility of wrist overhang. Also, the 42mm is quite a bit thinner, which is also to my preference.

How is the movement holding up? How about accuracy? That's the main thing holding me back at this point, as I've read quite a few bad things about durability, and that the time-keeping is decent, but not at Rolex level.

Regarding dial text, I agree that "automatic" is unnecessary at this point. For that matter, I could do without the depth rating text on my Submariner, too, since it is a constant reminder that the watch is overengineered for my needs, and that I'll never use it in the way it was intended. But it's such a great watch, I choose not to get hung up on it.
Old 17 November 2018, 06:02 PM   #9
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Not a big fan of bracelets on PAMs and 42mm is really too small especially for a PAM. Don't fear the size, they are much smaller on the wrist even at 47mm. 44mm IMO is perfect.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 02:00 AM   #10
~Haze~
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
The 352 is titanium with brown dial and has the P.9000 movement. The 722 and 723 are steel with black dial and have the P.9010 movement, which adds a full bridge, a jumping "time zone" hour hand, and is slimmer, allowing the cases to be slimmer as well. The 723 has the 9 at 9 o'clock as well, since it's a 44mm model; only the 42mm 722 is without it, which I actually prefer, as it's more symmetrical. The 722's WR is only 100m, whereas the 723 and 352 both have 300m. You'll also notice the 352 has the middle-period "plain" bracelet, whereas the bracelets on the 722 and 723 revive the half-moon links, which are a throwback to the original PAM bracelets from the '90s and 2000s.

This is a nice post. It’s informative and shows just how much there is to think about when think8ng about any given watch.

What’s the difference between the two movements - the P.9000 and the P.9010?
~Haze~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 08:43 AM   #11
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
I’d have a PAM on a bracelet as part of a collection but not as a one and only. Of this particular piece, the blue second hand puts me off. Maybe I’d get used to it but for now, not for me.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 09:28 AM   #12
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Haze~ View Post
This is a nice post. It’s informative and shows just how much there is to think about when think8ng about any given watch.

What’s the difference between the two movements - the P.9000 and the P.9010?
P9010 is the updated version of the P9000.

Some more info here..

https://watchbase.com/panerai/caliber/p-9010