The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 16 November 2018, 12:40 AM   #31
ramenjiro
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
The Saxonia AC is only 1mm smaller, so I doubt the 1815 would look too big.

Of the two, I think I prefer the Saxonia — probably because I am a sucker for big dates, whether done the more commonly seen format or the way Moser & Cie impliments.

Spanner in the works time, part 2... If you like a chronograph function/appearance, then instead of the Daytona (and all the associated hassle in procuring one!) I’d suggest the likes of the Parmigiani Fleurier Tonda Metrographe.

By way of example —

I tried on the 1815 AC yesterday, and as you say, it wasn’t too big at all! It felt really nice on the wrist, and the dial presence was just awesome.
Thank you for the Parmigiani suggestion. This a beautiful watch! I will try researching more about this piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ramenjiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 12:47 AM   #32
ramenjiro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCosmo View Post
I vote for the 1815 Chrono. I bought the boutique edition recently and love it. I do not need another dressy watch and my 116520 Daytona gets no wrist time anymore. I think the Sub, GMT, and an 1815 Chrono would cover almost all situations, and would make a superb 3-watch collection. The 1815 up/down is a nice watch, but IMO, the 1815 Chrono is on a different level because of the movement.

Here’s a photo of the 1815 Chronograph movement help your decision :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for your comment, and congrats on your acquisition of your 1815 chrono.
My concern about the 1815 Chrono is, can it be dressy enough to pass as a only dress watch, for office and formal parties where wearing a suit is required (not a tuxedo). What is your experience with yours?

By the way, this is the 3 options I’m current looking at short term. What do you reckon?

Old 16 November 2018, 12:49 AM   #33
ramenjiro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezinhk View Post
I agree

The 1815 up/down is a nice watch, but IMO, the 1815 Chrono is on a different level because of the movement.

Yes, the movement makes a HUGE difference regarding these two watches! The more I look at the movement, it makes me wonder why I’m even considering in the first place...

Old 16 November 2018, 05:07 AM   #34
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Black Daytona makes more sense option 1?

I’d prefer 3
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 05:30 AM   #35
SSCosmo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenjiro View Post
Thank you for your comment, and congrats on your acquisition of your 1815 chrono.
My concern about the 1815 Chrono is, can it be dressy enough to pass as a only dress watch, for office and formal parties where wearing a suit is required (not a tuxedo). What is your experience with yours?

By the way, this is the 3 options I’m current looking at short term. What do you reckon?
Thanks! It was a grail of mine and I probably should have bought it earlier because I no longer feel a desire to buy any more watches - at least for now :)

I think the 1815 Chrono is perfect with a suit. Some might prefer a thin, 37mm, three hand watch as a "dress watch," but the 1815 is already more dressy than most watches people wear with suits these days.

As for the three options you're considering, they really scratch different itches and depend on your preferences. For example, do you prefer an annual calendar over a chronograph? Do you want more than one chronograph in the collection? Do you want multiple Rolex sports watches or add some variety with the Royal Oak? Personally, I'd probably go with option 3, but substitute either the Hulk or Daytona for the Royal Oak. I don't see the need for more than two Rolexes sports watches in a 4 watch collection, let alone 3, and I love the Royal Oak (I have two with an offshore on the way too). You could also wear the Royal Oak as a dressier sports watch (I think they also pair well with a suit) - kind of in between the 1815 and the Rolexes on the casual-dressy scale.
SSCosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 06:50 AM   #36
Banks
"TRF" Member

The 1815 movement is breathtaking. It gets my vote.
Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 06:51 AM   #37
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Yes, the movement makes a HUGE difference regarding these two watches! The more I look at the movement, it makes me wonder why I’m even considering in the first place...

I'm seriously thinking about a Zeitwerk but wish it had that chrono movement.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 12:34 PM   #38
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Group 1 would be my last choice because I dislike the Royal Oak and the Up Down pales in comparison to both the Annual Calendar and the Chronograph. Group 2 makes the most sense in terms of complication variety but I would go for group 3 due to the Chronograph's movement. I would also be quite cool to have both a dress chronograph and a sport chronograph, although I would want a calendar moonphase in my collection.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 12:31 PM   #39
ramenjiro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I'm seriously thinking about a Zeitwerk but wish it had that chrono movement.
Zeitwek is a dream!! Hope you make the "right" decision and go for it!! Looking forward to seeing that picture.
Old 17 November 2018, 12:35 PM   #40
ramenjiro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
Group 1 would be my last choice because I dislike the Royal Oak and the Up Down pales in comparison to both the Annual Calendar and the Chronograph. Group 2 makes the most sense in terms of complication variety but I would go for group 3 due to the Chronograph's movement. I would also be quite cool to have both a dress chronograph and a sport chronograph, although I would want a calendar moonphase in my collection.
Hi, thanks Justindo again for your comment!
Do you have a specific reason why you are not fond of the Royal Oak?
I love both the 1815 Chrono and the Daytona, and I agree, it would be quite cool to have both Chronographs, but I have a slight concern that having 2 Chronographs in a 4 watch collection would be redundant?
Old 17 November 2018, 01:04 PM   #41
ramenjiro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks! It was a grail of mine and I probably should have bought it earlier because I no longer feel a desire to buy any more watches - at least for now :)

I think the 1815 Chrono is perfect with a suit. Some might prefer a thin, 37mm, three hand watch as a "dress watch," but the 1815 is already more dressy than most watches people wear with suits these days.

As for the three options you're considering, they really scratch different itches and depend on your preferences. For example, do you prefer an annual calendar over a chronograph? Do you want more than one chronograph in the collection? Do you want multiple Rolex sports watches or add some variety with the Royal Oak? Personally, I'd probably go with option 3, but substitute either the Hulk or Daytona for the Royal Oak. I don't see the need for more than two Rolexes sports watches in a 4 watch collection, let alone 3, and I love the Royal Oak (I have two with an offshore on the way too). You could also wear the Royal Oak as a dressier sports watch (I think they also pair well with a suit) - kind of in between the 1815 and the Rolexes on the casual-dressy scale.

That's wonderful, I am very happy that you have obtained your grail! I'd love to see some photos when you get a chance. And, this is exactly the feeling I look forward to by acquiring the 1815 Chronograph, not wanting to buy any more waches...

And, it is really encouraging to hear from a proud owner that, the 1815 Chronograph would be dressy enough to pull off with a suit on a daily basis. I am planning to wear the Lange I decide on weekdays at the office, where wearing a suit is required.

That's true, they definitely scratch completely different itches. Also, I am kind of drawn to option 3 myself. I can even imagine owning just the Batman and the 1815 Chronograph, and maybe feel content with the 2 watch collection. If I were to choose option 3, and then substitute one Rolex with a Royal Oak, I might choose to swap the Daytona with the Royal Oak (and then maybe swap the Hulk with a 114060 Sub).

If I may ask, as a proud owner of the 1815 Chronograph, what other watches do you have in your collection to compliment it? I'd like to see how the watch appears in a collection.F555475D-8D83-4CBE-A414-7597FA8B1A51.jpgFFB4BB39-20E6-4015-9F6E-73D137FE6F4C.jpg

Old 18 November 2018, 04:54 AM   #42
SSCosmo
"TRF" Member

1815 Up/Down or 1815 Chrono

Here are a couple of photos of the 1815 chronograph on wrist. It’s really been a joy to wear to work especially when I’m wearing a suit.

Besides Lange, I’m a big fan of Seiko, Grand Seiko and AP, so I have a few watches from each brand in my collection, including a couple of Seiko Divers and GS GMT watches. The Seiko and GS watches are great for weekends/vacation and travel, while my the Royal Oaks and the Lange 1815 chronograph are my go to watches for business casual clothes and suits.

I think a collection including the Hulk, Batman, Royal Oak, and 1815 Chronograph would be really nice and cover all occasions. Good luck with your decision!

Old 18 November 2018, 10:03 AM   #43
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi, thanks Justindo again for your comment!
Do you have a specific reason why you are not fond of the Royal Oak?
I love both the 1815 Chrono and the Daytona, and I agree, it would be quite cool to have both Chronographs, but I have a slight concern that having 2 Chronographs in a 4 watch collection would be redundant?
I just don't like the looks of 1970s watches so a Royal Oak, a Nautilus, or an Aquanaut will never adorn my wrists.

I wear my 1815 Chronograph at least once a week and it works great with a suit or even more casual clothing. While its among my favorite watches and I've got a number of watches that complement it (another Lange, VCs, Pateks, JLCs, an IWC, Rolexes, Omegas, Breitlings), it is definitely my favorite watch in terms of the movement.

I'm a big chronograph fan, so I see no problem in having two in a four watch collection, especially if one is a gold dress chronograph and one is a steel sport chronograph.

As for having "too many" sport Rolexes in a collection, I can totally see having three in a four watch collection as long as the fourth watch was something dressy. That written, my collection is basically about half dressy watches and half sport watches.
Old 19 November 2018, 07:17 PM   #44
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Late post.

I was contemplating on the same and the 1815 Chronograph won my vote. I would call it a “game over” watch for Chronograph lovers. The size and heft are just about right compared to a Datograph and the subdials placed at near 4 to 7 makes it a unique and obviously Lange dial from afar. But more importantly is the insane movement at the caseback making it a truly mesmerizing timepiece.

Some say it’s one notch lower than the Datograph because of the missing iconic Lange big date window. I’m not truly a big fan of the said window or even having a date in a Chronograph (Dial is going to be busier with the two subdials) although I would admit it’s a truly revolutionary way displaying date by the house of Lange.

Would I get one? Bet I will. This post made me realized that Lange should be in every one’s collection.

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 11:52 PM   #45
ramenjiro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here are a couple of photos of the 1815 chronograph on wrist. It’s really been a joy to wear to work especially when I’m wearing a suit.

Besides Lange, I’m a big fan of Seiko, Grand Seiko and AP, so I have a few watches from each brand in my collection, including a couple of Seiko Divers and GS GMT watches. The Seiko and GS watches are great for weekends/vacation and travel, while my the Royal Oaks and the Lange 1815 chronograph are my go to watches for business casual clothes and suits.

I think a collection including the Hulk, Batman, Royal Oak, and 1815 Chronograph would be really nice and cover all occasions. Good luck with your decision!

WOW!! Your 1815 Chrono is such a beauty! Again, congrats, and thank you so much for sharing spectacular shots of your watch.

What a wonderful collection... I truly appreciate the fact the you own multiple pieces from ultra high end brands such as AP and Lange, but at the same time have Seiko and GS. I also like how you have specific pieces for specific occasions.

I was completely leaning towards going for the 1815 Chronograph, and I visited a watch store to try one on again for one final check. Since I've tried it before, and was comfortable with how it sit on my wrist, I never thought size would be an issue. But when I asked the store clerk (just in case) if he had any other suggestions in a similar price range, he suggested the Patek Worldtime 5110, and it sat MUCH better on my writs, which made me feel that maybe the 1815 Chronograph might be a tad bit too large. I wear the Batman on a daily basis, and I've worn a Speedy without a problem, so I know it can't be too big, but for some reason the 5110 felt better on my wrist. What do you think about the size of the 1815 Chronograph, have you ever had issues about its size, and do you think this is something I would get used to in time?
Old 19 November 2018, 11:57 PM   #46
ramenjiro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
I just don't like the looks of 1970s watches so a Royal Oak, a Nautilus, or an Aquanaut will never adorn my wrists.

I wear my 1815 Chronograph at least once a week and it works great with a suit or even more casual clothing. While its among my favorite watches and I've got a number of watches that complement it (another Lange, VCs, Pateks, JLCs, an IWC, Rolexes, Omegas, Breitlings), it is definitely my favorite watch in terms of the movement.

I'm a big chronograph fan, so I see no problem in having two in a four watch collection, especially if one is a gold dress chronograph and one is a steel sport chronograph.

As for having "too many" sport Rolexes in a collection, I can totally see having three in a four watch collection as long as the fourth watch was something dressy. That written, my collection is basically about half dressy watches and half sport watches.
Thanks again for your comment!
Your collection seems amazing!! And also well balanced too, half dressy and half sports. But it is reassuring to hear that the 1815 Chronograph is one of your favorite, and THE favorite in terms of movement.

I see how the Daytona and the 1815 Chronograph can differentiate as they serve completely different purposes, despite them sharing the same complication.
Old 20 November 2018, 12:03 AM   #47
ramenjiro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexavidfan View Post
Late post.

I was contemplating on the same and the 1815 Chronograph won my vote. I would call it a “game over” watch for Chronograph lovers. The size and heft are just about right compared to a Datograph and the subdials placed at near 4 to 7 makes it a unique and obviously Lange dial from afar. But more importantly is the insane movement at the caseback making it a truly mesmerizing timepiece.

Some say it’s one notch lower than the Datograph because of the missing iconic Lange big date window. I’m not truly a big fan of the said window or even having a date in a Chronograph (Dial is going to be busier with the two subdials) although I would admit it’s a truly revolutionary way displaying date by the house of Lange.

Would I get one? Bet I will. This post made me realized that Lange should be in every one’s collection.

Thank you Rolexavidfan for your input.
In terms of Chronographs, I have never seen a more beautiful watch, and I can't agree more that it's a "game over" watch. I appreciate the Datograph as well (especially its applied indexes) but I agree, I like the simpler dial (without the date window) of the 1815 Chronograph.

This would be my first Lange, and I am truly psyched!! I look forward to owning a Lange in my collection.
Old 21 November 2018, 12:23 PM   #48
cantdrive55
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hmmm…
Quote:
Originally Posted by mps354 View Post
1815 Chrono for the movement
^^^^^^^^
this...
cantdrive55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2018, 08:41 PM   #49
ramenjiro
"TRF" Member

I wolid like to thank everyone of you who commented, and helped me come to my decision.
Here it is... my first Lange!!
I haven’t decided how to proceed from here, but I think I’ll enjoy my new piece for now.
Again, thank you all!

Old 27 November 2018, 09:36 PM   #50
SSCosmo
"TRF" Member

Congratulations! Great choice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 27 November 2018, 10:52 PM   #51
galtinuk
"TRF" Member

Fantastic choice!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
galtinuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 12:25 AM   #52
Flybak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Congratulations, excellent choice! Now for the difficult decision...will you wear it with the dial or the caseback side facing up?? Lol
Flybak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 02:07 AM   #53
agentmeister5
"TRF" Member

Congrats!
agentmeister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 03:22 PM   #54
ramenjiro
"TRF" Member

When acquiring the 1815 Chronograph, I had decided on unloading some pieces to feel comfortable with the purchase financially.
I thought my mind was already made up, but now have some doubts and would like to ask for your advice.

Among the three choices below, which do you think makes the most sense as a collection?

Here are the list of watches in question.
- Rolex GMT Batman (keeper)
- ALS 1815 Chronograph (keeper)
- Rolex Submariner Date Hulk
- JLC Reverso Tribute to 1931 RG Q2782521
- Rolex Date Just 36mm 116200
- Omega Speedmaster 3570.50

As always, thanks so much for your advice.

Old 30 November 2018, 04:04 PM   #55
MrBenF
"TRF" Member

Even though I’m not a Rolex person, I’d go with option A-those 2 Rolexes have better value retention potential than the others.

MrBenF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 01:10 PM   #56
vladamir15
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, Breguet
Congrats best choice! The movement is a something else.

I would go with the last choice. Two rolexes isnt as good as one rolex and the speedy imo.

Audemars, Vacheron, Breguet, Jaquet Droz, JLC, Rolex, Omega, Cartier
vladamir15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2018, 07:05 AM   #57
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Many congrats, a fine piece! No more ramen for you now, you're a big boy!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2018, 07:10 AM   #58
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Get the chrono
Old 2 December 2018, 02:07 PM   #59
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
When acquiring the 1815 Chronograph, I had decided on unloading some pieces to feel comfortable with the purchase financially.
I thought my mind was already made up, but now have some doubts and would like to ask for your advice.

Among the three choices below, which do you think makes the most sense as a collection?

Here are the list of watches in question.
- Rolex GMT Batman (keeper)
- ALS 1815 Chronograph (keeper)
- Rolex Submariner Date Hulk
- JLC Reverso Tribute to 1931 RG Q2782521
- Rolex Date Just 36mm 116200
- Omega Speedmaster 3570.50

As always, thanks so much for your advice.

Congratulations on the Lange! I truly think you made the right choice.

So is the Daytona is off the table? If so, that's fine, as the Speedmaster, in my opinion, is just as good, albeit different. The two advantages the Daytona has going for it over the Speedmaster is that its waterproof and with the white dial you get some color variation. That written, the Speedmaster is a fraction of the price and really is the classic chronograph.

As for the three options you present, I would personally immediately eliminate the second option, as the Datejust doesn't really add anything new to your collection in terms of brands or complications and the Datejust is kind of in a no man's land in terms of what it is. While a Datejust or an Oyster Perpetual would probably be my top choice for a one watch collection because of its versatility, this same versatility works against it in a two or more watch collection, simply because it's neither a sport watch nor a dress watch and once you own a Rolex Professional model and a true dress watch, especially one like the Lange, I just can't see ever choosing to wear it over those two. For example, for casual wear, I'd reach for a sport watch (e.g., your BLNR) and for smart casual wear or above, I'd reach for a dress watch (e.g., your Lange). Also, the Datejust is Rolex's best selling watch so you'll see a lot of them.

That leaves options one and three for me. I can see the appeal of option one because you add some color and a diver. Still, your BLNR could act in the same role due to it being waterproof and looking fairly similar. Also, the Speedmaster and especially rose gold Reverso on a brown strap gives you a lot more variety in a four watch collection. First, you're adding two more brands and two more icons to your collection. My Speedmaster gets worn a lot and is a great sport watch to wear when you're not worried about water and don't want to have a Rolex on your wrist. The Reverso on a brown strap adds some lovely rose gold to your collection, adds a new shape, and is something to wear at the office with brown shoes and a brown belt while your Lange does duty with black shoes and a black belt. Therefore, I'd go with option 3 now and maybe think about adding the LV at a later date, although you really wouldn't have to.
Old 18 December 2018, 04:08 AM   #60
FTE2014
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712&5167&5130G
I would also go with the 1815 chrono. I am considering the WG or RG with the black dial as my next acquisition.
FTE2014 is offline   Reply With Quote