The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 November 2018, 08:37 AM   #1
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

Typical discount on Lange & Sohne

Hi,

My understanding is that we can discus discounts on this forum. I am looking to purchase a new Lange & Sohne watch from an AD. What is the typical discount I should expect? I have been offered between 10-15% and no AD seems to be willing to go above it. Is that typical for Lange?
AlyRba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 08:51 AM   #2
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Buy pre-owned from a trusted seller here is what you'll mostly hear
Old 14 November 2018, 09:04 AM   #3
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbaja27 View Post
Buy pre-owned from a trusted seller here is what you'll mostly hear
I am looking to buy new as I plan to hold on to the watch. I am mainly looking at Lange 1 and I have checked with few ADs. Some flatly refused to discount whereas others were between 10-15% range. I do understand that Lange doesn’t do well on used market but I just want to make sure that I am buying at the right price.

Also, it seems that Lange supply is limited and ADs have been instructed not to discount. Perhaps if they could do marketing like Patek, AP, and Rolex, along with their strict distribution policies, their watches will retain value.
Old 14 November 2018, 10:16 AM   #4
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Assuming you are in US, that’s what I ran into as well - 10-15%, less at a boutique. I ended up buying mine in Germany and bringing back to US... ended up saving approx 25% off MSRP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 10:21 AM   #5
wisguy
"TRF" Member

I bought mine with 15% discount, not great considering the resale value, but the model had just come out.
Old 14 November 2018, 11:25 AM   #6
PJ S
Banned

OP, if you’re buying to hold on to it, then why are you worrying about discount?
If resudual value is a primary concern for you, then just buy it pre-owned, and let someone else absorb the loss, or buy from a grey reseller.
If wearing it on its original strap brings you out in a cold sweat, then change the strap — but before you do, just think of all the instances wear you come into contact with other people’s skin cells, etc!
A leather strap, just like a bracelet, can be thoroughly cleaned so as not to be any concern whatsoever.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 12:19 PM   #7
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
OP, if you’re buying to hold on to it, then why are you worrying about discount?
If resudual value is a primary concern for you, then just buy it pre-owned, and let someone else absorb the loss, or buy from a grey reseller.
If wearing it on its original strap brings you out in a cold sweat, then change the strap — but before you do, just think of all the instances wear you come into contact with other people’s skin cells, etc!
A leather strap, just like a bracelet, can be thoroughly cleaned so as not to be any concern whatsoever.
I want to buy new because the watch will be a keeper and I want to leave my my own imprints aka scratches on the watch. Reason I care about the discount is that a 20-25% discount compared to a 15% discount means I get an Oris or preowmed Omega Speedmaster Pro with the extra savings, so it matters.
Old 14 November 2018, 01:24 PM   #8
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I think Lange's star may be on the ascendent. It really depends on the model, but I'd want more than what you've been offered. If you're not in rush, I'd wait six months, as I think the stock market will be lower at that time and, thus, watch prices should be less.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 01:31 PM   #9
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I’d want 20-25 and you still get creamed on the sale if you want out
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 08:10 AM   #10
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Two AD’s I know that carried Lange recently are no longer carrying them so there’s that.. but prior to them not being Lange AD’s they were offering me 20% and more pretty frequently.. of course this was a few months ago so take it with a grain of salt
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 10:04 AM   #11
tubojunk
"TRF" Member

Bought my Lange 1 about 3 years ago. Paid $28,500 for RG with new butterfly clasp. So a little more than 25% off. Bought in caribbean. Started wearing it again and it always amazes me how nicely made it is when you look at really closely. Does not compare to to my Rolex or AP.
Rolex 126610LN
tubojunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 10:19 AM   #12
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Over here in Asia, I can easily get 20 to 25% discount from my regular AD who carries Lange. Lange doesn't hold value but Lange1 does better than the rest.

If you are firm with your purchase, you can try to bid the AD and they may be more receptive to discount if they know you are surely going to buy it.
Old 15 November 2018, 02:48 PM   #13
SSCosmo
"TRF" Member

I was told by an AD that I know pretty well a few weeks ago that they can’t offer as much discount as they used to. Lange, like other brands such as AP and Rolex, has recently started clamping down on discounts and they will actually audit ADs now. I was also told that Lange is reducing the number of ADs. I would not expect the same kind of discounts from ADs that were common even 6 months ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SSCosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 08:24 AM   #14
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyRba View Post
Hi,

My understanding is that we can discus discounts on this forum. I am looking to purchase a new Lange & Sohne watch from an AD. What is the typical discount I should expect? I have been offered between 10-15% and no AD seems to be willing to go above it. Is that typical for Lange?
It really depends on the watch. AD will probably offer a smaller percentage discount on a $20K watch (vs a $100K watch that is sitting around collecting dust in their display case).
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 08:32 AM   #15
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

Thank you all. It seems that Lange has recently tightened up their discount policy and reducing number of ADs. If only they could follow-up with marketing and a sports line to help their brand and preowned market pricing.
Old 19 November 2018, 07:29 PM   #16
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
15% is the normal discount nowadays. Gone are the day of higher discount in today’s watch market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 11:23 AM   #17
MountEverest
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyRba View Post
Hi,

I went through the same thing a month ago. I live in the Washington, DC area. The Lange & Sohne AD first offered me 5% discount on the A. Lange Saxonia Thin 37mm and then the sales manager took it away. I then called the Lange AD Boutique in New York and I was able to get 10% and no taxes. That was the best I was able to do. I love the A. Lange but the resale value is less than 50% on some models that I looked at. However, their watches rival Patek quality in my opinion. I would recommend to pick up the phone and also check with Trusted Grey Market sellers too.

Good luck!
MountEverest is offline   Reply With Quote