The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 March 2019, 11:30 AM   #31
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

I think you will find the vast majority if TRF are in it for the long run, myself included. No flipping here.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 11:36 AM   #32
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
I buy to wear and keep and one day I will pass them on to my 5 children. One each as they get married. Hopefully they will pass them down to their own children. I can only imagine how amazing it would be to inherit grandads 50 year old Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Giangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 11:37 AM   #33
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giangos View Post
I buy to wear and keep and one day I will pass them on to my 5 children. One each as they get married. Hopefully they will pass them down to their own children. I can only imagine how amazing it would be to inherit grandads 50 year old Rolex.

Very cool
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 11:39 AM   #34
brigadoonb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Never sold one.....keepers for me
brigadoonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 11:40 AM   #35
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeitBuyit View Post
I am starting to think that to too many people, Rolex is all about how much money can I make on the flip.
The sale forum is rife with insane speculator pricing on month old watches like the GMT Batman or base black ceramic one.
????????
The people you describe are largely new arrivals to Rolex since 2016. Before then, thr community was more about sharing photos and talking about passion for the watches. Now it’s all $$$. There was even an article in the NYT today about how Rolex is the new Bitcoin. Get a couple more stories like that and it eventually becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 11:46 AM   #36
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
I can definitely name one.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 11:46 AM   #37
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToWatch View Post
The people you describe are largely new arrivals to Rolex since 2016. Before then, thr community was more about sharing photos and talking about passion for the watches. Now it’s all $$$. There was even an article in the NYT today about how Rolex is the new Bitcoin. Get a couple more stories like that and it eventually becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Forum topics and discussion quality has been getting crappier by the year too. So many questions on value and money to be made. It reminds me of people pretending to be equity traders in the 90's. Or hipsters liking Bourbon and then Gin or whatever it is now this month

The journalist sounds like a
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 11:48 AM   #38
Kyle3130
"TRF" Member

Watch: FXD
Me, 14060M Sub every day!
Old 22 March 2019, 11:52 AM   #39
Dr Watches
Banned

I've never sold a Rolex and I own more than a few.
Dr Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 11:56 AM   #40
lhawli
"TRF" Member

I do, with all my watches. But like everything else I grow out of some and offload to make way for other, be it Rolex or any other brand.

I’m building a core collection currently that I don’t want to ever sell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rolex GMT Master II [116710BLNR]
Rolex Cosmograph Daytona [116500LN]
lhawli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 11:56 AM   #41
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToWatch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
Forum topics and discussion quality has been getting crappier by the year too. So many questions on value and money to be made. It reminds me of people pretending to be equity traders in the 90's. Or hipsters liking Bourbon and then Gin or whatever it is now this month

The journalist sounds like a
It happens in every hobby. What can you do?
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 12:05 PM   #42
pkincy
"TRF" Member

I own 2 and can't see selling either.

Back after bitcoin surged and before it dropped I was on some enthusiast forum, I think it was about golf, but there were a number of threads on how many amateur investors had bought bitcoins and made millions and how much they liked the Lamborghinis they had bought with the profits. I immediately knew a crash was coming. Those were the lucky ones. Bought their Lamborghinis and hence at least got some value from their "investment." Anything I know of that has gone off at over 2 x retail for a while has done a reversion to the mean. With some exceptions like Ferraris over a million dollar with less than 500 produced. However mass produced items even luxury goods will likely revert to a normal supply demand curve either due to the company overproducing or the consumer losing that supercharged interest. Here I don't expect a crash but moving back closer towards MSRP seems inevitable. Who could have expected a surge in demand at the low end of the luxury goods range?
pkincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 12:08 PM   #43
Quamby
"TRF" Member

No flipping here. Buy to wear, buy to keep.
Quamby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 12:10 PM   #44
Junior_
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060
I own one Rolex and will never sell it no matter what it would bring.

If I get another, it will be the same.
Junior_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 12:23 PM   #45
SA1
"TRF" Member

Me too
SA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 12:30 PM   #46
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
I bought because I absolutely love both the BLNR and TT Blue Sub. Loved them both before the hype, will still love them no matter what the future holds. I do miss the pre-wait list era, before the crazy rise in demand and secondary prices. It was nice to walk into and AD and see 98% of the Rolex lineup in person. Hopefully those days will return.
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 12:37 PM   #47
Racingwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126715CHNR
I’m just hoping to get a call so I can actually buy hahah. I’ll definitely be engraving the back to pass down to my son, so there will be no way I get rid of it

Racingwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 12:38 PM   #48
Big J
"TRF" Member

I’ve bought the ones I wanted and plan on keeping them to wear and enjoy.
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 12:49 PM   #49
AGT
"TRF" Member

I keep and wear my Rolex’s. I’ve impulse bought a few other brands that I’ve sold or traded ... for Rolex’s...
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 12:56 PM   #50
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
I buy all my watches, regardless of brand, with the intention of keeping them. Inevitably though, either my tastes change or I see something new and shiny and I have to raise some funds...

but buying watches and stashing them in a safe in the hope they'll be discontinued or will double in value over XXXX years ? Nah, better and more enjoyable things to do with time and money....
Old 22 March 2019, 12:57 PM   #51
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
I am starting to think that to too many people, Rolex is all about how much money can I make on the flip.
The sale forum is rife with insane speculator pricing on month old watches like the GMT Batman or base black ceramic one.
????????
In my case I originally bought a Rolex with the intention of being a one watch sort of person.
The journey to Rolex was a somewhat long and winding road, but on reflection the arrival point was inevitable.

Like others, after the first Rolex which was bought second hand because of the wait list scenario, I was bitten hard by the bug. Other Rolex watches followed in order to add to a little collection.
All were bought with the intention of keeping them.

Then I started to regret not wanting to wear some of them preferring to settle on the original one as a daily wearer. But it didn't stop me from wanting my absolute grail which was always going to be out of reach for practical and logistical reasons.

After I bought my MK II DSSD everything changed dramatically and everything else in the collection became completely redundant.
Needless to say I have settled on this Rolex reference(116660) but added the D-blue which is my wedding present from my wife.

All other Rolex watches are gone and all things considered I'm in a better place than I ever imagined where Rolex is concerned.
But that doesn't mean I don't have other watch brands
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 12:59 PM   #52
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
I do. I haven't sold any of the 3 watches I got in the past 1.5 yrs.
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 01:02 PM   #53
MinMay
Banned

flippers will not admit it LOL....I wouldn't be surprised 70% are flippers on here.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 01:04 PM   #54
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
I flipped and updated my collection many times but, not Rolex watches. The only Rolex I flipped was a TT sub in 1997 but, that was to get a Zenith Daytona and, at that time, I was not a watch enthusiast as I became later in life. I have flipped various Panerai lately, usually into Rolex or, most recently, AP
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 01:23 PM   #55
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I've had many watches over the years. I don't purchase them to flip them or sell them. That being said, I wear them until I don't wear them or like them anymore. Once it gets to that point, I sell them and purchase something else or don't purchase something else. I had a SubC, really liked it but not more than my LVc and didn't want to have two divers so I sold my SubC. I had a DJ, wasn't my deal, and sold it. I purchased a Panerai, hated it, and sold it. I purchased a Speedmaster, was grossly underwhelmed, and sold it. Not going to keep all those watches if I'm not going to wear them. At one point I had 15 watches, but I'm down to two.
mistercoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 01:27 PM   #56
007timer
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Everything I buy is to wear.

007timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 01:29 PM   #57
BigPapiDoesItAgain
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many
I have three, a 16610 Sub purchased in 1989, a 16622 Yachtmaster from 2006, and a hot off the press 116710 LN purchased today. Was gonna sell the YM, but decided to hang on to it for now. Purchased to wear and enjoy, the only way I would consider a flip is to acquire something else, and the 16610 is untouchable.
BigPapiDoesItAgain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 01:33 PM   #58
woof
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS daytona, Hulk,
I don't sell my babies!!!
MoonPhase, Rootbeer
Batman, Sub, Blk GMT, Pepsi,YG Daytona, TTSD, Batgirl, 5167/1A, Speedy, P01, OP, Kermit
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 01:35 PM   #59
Late
"TRF" Member

Watch: space too short
Quote:
I've never sold a watch. I have ~20 collectables, e.g. Memovox, Seiko BellMatics, a variety of tritiums and of analog alarms. My Rolex is not a poser sports-model made for mascara-on-chest-hair or for flipping; it is a DJ41 fluted Rolesor Dark Rhodium on Jubilee. Not my most special watch, but really cool and definitely not for selling.

Didn't the guy on Knight Rider, with the cylon Camaro, wear a Sub?
Late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 01:36 PM   #60
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

I purchase watches with the intention of keeping them.