The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 21 April 2015, 04:15 PM   #1
winedoc1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Condensation

New Member: I bought Rolex Explorer I 3 yrs ago. Started loosing time, 2-3 minutes a day then stopped working completely. Had it fully reconditioned and picked it up yesterday. Working beautifully but noticed condensation under the crystal on 2 occasions while walking out in the cold weather. I only had it back 2 hrs, so it didn't get wet. I took it back to the dealer. He says he will "dry it out" Should I sent it back to Rolex or let the dealer dry it. Sounds like the seal will get broken again and I'm not sure about the warranty (1 yr). I never saw condensation EVER in my first 3 yrs....... help/frustrated
Old 21 April 2015, 06:19 PM   #2
omitohud
"TRF" Member

No rolex oyster case should have condensation. By dealer did u mean rolex dealer or a random watch maker? If the former demand full pressure test report. If later time to find a more competent one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21 April 2015, 06:39 PM   #3
ADINVA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Does this condensation potentially reflect the watch may not be "waterproof" due to the poor/terrible workmanship done during the servicing? This may also lead to water vapour sipping into the watch and can result in rust?

Maybe you should quickly store the watch in a tight container containing rice to adsorb the moisture and send it to RSC or a qualified watchmaker.
Old 21 April 2015, 07:42 PM   #4
winedoc1
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the responses folks. The watch never had condensation before. For 3 years and in all kinds of conditions thats why I bought the explorer. Why it stopped working wasn't disclosed either, I was told it had a full reconditioning. It was working fine, and was beautifully polished except I noticed the condensation under the glass after walking outside in the cold. Hey its still cold in Maritime Canada !! So I would assume moisture got in during the servicing which was done at official Rolex agency Canada. Authorized dealer was in St John, Newfoundland. I'm inclined to send it back to the dealer and have them send to Rolex to do the pressure test again rather than simply having the jeweller dry it out ??
Old 21 April 2015, 07:55 PM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by winedoc1 View Post
New Member: I bought Rolex Explorer I 3 yrs ago. Started loosing time, 2-3 minutes a day then stopped working completely. Had it fully reconditioned and picked it up yesterday. Working beautifully but noticed condensation under the crystal on 2 occasions while walking out in the cold weather. I only had it back 2 hrs, so it didn't get wet. I took it back to the dealer. He says he will "dry it out" Should I sent it back to Rolex or let the dealer dry it. Sounds like the seal will get broken again and I'm not sure about the warranty (1 yr). I never saw condensation EVER in my first 3 yrs....... help/frustrated
Condensation on the inside of the crystal is generally an indication that there may be a problem but it your case would doubt if you have any problem. Now condensation will quite normally occur when any warm/hot watch is suddenly exposed to a cold environment i.e. if you enter cold air/water then shortly after warm/hot water or visa verso. In normal circumstances this will appear as a very fine mist and should disappear in minutes/hour or so when the watch warms up. This is quite normal as the air trapped inside your watch after say a service will have a small amount of water vapour as its just like normal humidity in the atmosphere, if it disappears quickly all is well. Now if the misting appears as clearly definable droplets of water and does not clear quickly when warm, then it signifies that water has entered the case.Now this will NOT evaporate of its own accord and will need to be removed then afraid its off to the RSC as soon as possible, put the stopped watch in a bag of dry rice grains.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 21 April 2015, 08:16 PM   #6
winedoc1
"TRF" Member

padi56

thanks for your response. I would assume moisture got in at the time/from the servicing or possibly the lubrication. The little droplets and tiny bit of fog under the crystal did dissipate within 1-2 minutes of warming. This had never happened before. I never take off my explorer in any conditions shower, pools and snow/wet conditions and it had never, ever fogged up. So I will contact the AD and ask if this is a common occurrence after servicing and then I can relax, otherwise I will ask them to do another check on the watch. Thanks so much
Old 21 April 2015, 08:34 PM   #7
Colnago
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx=3, Tdr=3, Om=3
Whatever moisture is in there, is in there permanently......your watch gaskets and seals work both ways, preventing moisture getting in but also from getting out....you will not get rid of it until the damp air inside is replaced with dry air.....it will not go away over time.....

What will happen is each time you go outside when it is cold your wrist's natural warmth will warm the case back, the crystal however will remain cold, moisture will always condense on a cold surface, in your case the inside of the crystal is where the moisture will condense.....at least that's the only time you will see it....if another part inside the watch is cool enough the moisture will condense there....on the underside of the crystal it causes no problem other than preventing you from seeing the dial and handset clearly.....however dampness on other parts (especially moving ones) is really not recommended

When a watch is opened up it should always be done in dry dehumidified air, that way there can be no moisture at all trapped inside when it is sealed up again....

In my opinion the watch should be reopened and sealed again in dry conditions....personally I would settle for nothing less....but that's my opinion

Edit....try holding an ice cube on the crystal while wearing the watch this will force any moisture to condense on the underside of the crystal....that way you should at least be able to tell how bad a problem you have....as Peter says if there are clearly defined droplets of liquid you need to take urgent action....it should only take a couple of minutes to do this check...

Last edited by Colnago; 21 April 2015 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: Had a thought....
Old 21 April 2015, 08:51 PM   #8
Divingdud
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADINVA View Post
Does this condensation potentially reflect the watch may not be "waterproof" due to the poor/terrible workmanship done during the servicing? This may also lead to water vapour sipping into the watch and can result in rust?

Maybe you should quickly store the watch in a tight container containing rice to adsorb the moisture and send it to RSC or a qualified watchmaker.
Better than 'rice' use dried out silica gel in a small sachet, with the screw down crown of the watch open and the watch in a sealed plastic box for a couple of days.
Old 21 April 2015, 09:10 PM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I had a Chopard that used to mist up, I hairdryed it a few times but eventually had to send it in, as the guys say it will not correct over time.
Old 21 April 2015, 09:11 PM   #10
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
I would want it dried out as several stated that the possibility of the moisture leaving are slim.
Old 21 April 2015, 09:12 PM   #11
Chris B
"TRF" Member

Don't hang around, get the watch to RCS asap
Old 21 April 2015, 09:12 PM   #12
Colnago
"TRF" Member

It would be great if the silica method worked, really great....however, as far as I am aware all Rolex watches are water proof even with the crowns unscrewed and popped out all the way to the hacking of the movement stop.....there is a seal around the winding stem which remains effective no matter which position the crown is in......therefore I'm not sure if the silica would be able to "suck" the moisture around this seal
Old 21 April 2015, 09:13 PM   #13
Chris B
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colnago View Post
It would be great if the silica method worked, really great....however, as far as I am aware all Rolex watches are water proof even with the crowns unscrewed and popped out all the way to the hacking of the movement stop.....there is a seal around the winding stem which remains effective no matter which position the crown is in......therefore I'm not sure if the silica would be able to "suck" the moisture around this seal

Old 21 April 2015, 09:25 PM   #14
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colnago View Post
Whatever moisture is in there, is in there permanently......your watch gaskets and seals work both ways, preventing moisture getting in but also from getting out....you will not get rid of it until the damp air inside is replaced with dry air.....it will not go away over time.....

What will happen is each time you go outside when it is cold your wrist's natural warmth will warm the case back, the crystal however will remain cold, moisture will always condense on a cold surface, in your case the inside of the crystal is where the moisture will condense.....at least that's the only time you will see it....if another part inside the watch is cool enough the moisture will condense there....on the underside of the crystal it causes no problem other than preventing you from seeing the dial and handset clearly.....however dampness on other parts (especially moving ones) is really not recommended

When a watch is opened up it should always be done in dry dehumidified air, that way there can be no moisture at all trapped inside when it is sealed up again....

In my opinion the watch should be reopened and sealed again in dry conditions....personally I would settle for nothing less....but that's my opinion

Edit....try holding an ice cube on the crystal while wearing the watch this will force any moisture to condense on the underside of the crystal....that way you should at least be able to tell how bad a problem you have....as Peter says if there are clearly defined droplets of liquid you need to take urgent action....it should only take a couple of minutes to do this check...
Good post Bill.

Old 21 April 2015, 09:26 PM   #15
Colnago
"TRF" Member

Cheers Eddie
Old 21 April 2015, 09:27 PM   #16
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingdud View Post
Better than 'rice' use dried out silica gel in a small sachet, with the screw down crown of the watch open and the watch in a sealed plastic box for a couple of days.
Only if you take the caseback off first IMO.

Moisture usually enters a watch through faulty seals but it still requires a pressure differential.

Once moisture has entered either through faulty seals or a high humidity environment when the watch was opened then the only way to completely remove the moisture us to remove the case back and service the watch under controlled conditions.

Old 22 April 2015, 01:09 AM   #17
winedoc1
"TRF" Member

Condensation Rolex Explore I

I am overwhelmed by the responses

The watch is being shipped back to Rolex Canada. It will be opened and dried prior to shipping and reworked again. Dealer was very accommodating

Thanks for all you thoughts and comments

I'm going to like it here ........

Next I will learn how to post pictures

Winedoc
Old 22 April 2015, 01:20 AM   #18
Divingdud
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Only if you take the caseback off first IMO.

Moisture usually enters a watch through faulty seals but it still requires a pressure differential.

Once moisture has entered either through faulty seals or a high humidity environment when the watch was opened then the only way to completely remove the moisture us to remove the case back and service the watch under controlled conditions.
All I have suggested is to try a dried out sachet of silica gel with the watch with crown unscrewed in a sealed box. It might just work!
The overall seal of a rolex depends upon the crown being screwed down and would any of us go swimming with the rolex on and the crown un-screwed?
Old 22 April 2015, 01:24 AM   #19
lmcgbaj
"TRF" Member

Watch: es are FUN!!!
I would send the watch to RSC ASAP.
Old 22 April 2015, 01:28 AM   #20
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
Undo the crown to the hack position and blast a hairdryer onto it for 15 minutes on medium heat.
Old 22 April 2015, 02:33 AM   #21
ADINVA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
What I am afraid is, if we can see condensation on the crystal.....imagine what we can't see inside the movement? Any moist may potentially result in rust.

Have it fixed for peace of mind.
Old 22 April 2015, 03:51 AM   #22
Dante1972
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingdud View Post
All I have suggested is to try a dried out sachet of silica gel with the watch with crown unscrewed in a sealed box. It might just work!

The overall seal of a rolex depends upon the crown being screwed down and would any of us go swimming with the rolex on and the crown un-screwed?

A Rolex is still water resistant if the crown is un-screwed . The depth rating will obviously be lower but it would survive the shower or a swim.

P.S. I don't recommend trying the above since there is a single point of failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6 September 2017, 02:11 PM   #23
Mochibay
"TRF" Member

I wonder can rolex get condensation just from a really cold room from ac coz every morning mine always quite wet on the surface
Old 6 September 2017, 04:50 PM   #24
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochibay View Post
I wonder can rolex get condensation just from a really cold room from ac coz every morning mine always quite wet on the surface
OUTSIDE the watch sure, that's not a problem. Same as you on full blast the aircon in your car and inside gets so cold that the Windows fog up on the OUTSIDE of the car, you can use your wipers to clear that. (Only when I live outside of tropical Asia did I discover what car "demister" does on the inside of glass haha)

But if your watch fog up on INSIDE of crystal, that's trouble & you cannot wipe that away with your finger.
Closed Thread