The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 November 2014, 03:24 PM   #1
LCDR
Banned

Rolex Repair Reports?

I returned my wife's Lady Date Just to my AD for a repair. After it was returned it stopped two days later.

I am returning it to the dealer. Question: does Rolex include a service report on the repair or service?

I want to determine if it was sent to the Rolex Service Center, not someone else. The watch was in a dealer case upon return. Not the RSC green soft case I have seen here on the forum.

Thank you.
LCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2014, 06:51 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
More information is needed you say it stopped after two days was watch worn and did you fully manual wind the watch before wearing.And yes from a RSC service you would of had a service report card or paper that would act like a two year warranty.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2014, 08:18 PM   #3
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Yes, you should get a service paper that says what was done and how much it cost. This can be presented at any RSC worldwide for warranty work for two years.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2014, 11:58 PM   #4
RollieVerde
Banned

RSC work also includes a card stating serial no. model number and date of service. At least that's how they do it NYC, but I can't see one of the other RSCs differing from this protocol.
RollieVerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2014, 12:18 AM   #5
Wllnv19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCDR View Post
I returned my wife's Lady Date Just to my AD for a repair. After it was returned it stopped two days later.

I am returning it to the dealer. Question: does Rolex include a service report on the repair or service?

I want to determine if it was sent to the Rolex Service Center, not someone else. The watch was in a dealer case upon return. Not the RSC green soft case I have seen here on the forum.

Thank you.
Some AD's use their own ROLEX certified watch technician and don't send them to RSC..
Wllnv19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2014, 02:28 AM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:

Thank you.
. Did she wind it ?? Was she active ?? They will all stop after a couple of days of inactivity, especially if it isn't fully wound.

. Rolex always provides an estimate and an invoice. If you went through your AD then the AD got that information. (this is why you should send it yourself) There is no requirement to send to the RSC unless you specifically request that they do.

. The pouch is usually given after an RSC service. It isn't put inside it, it's just part of the package you get back. As mentioned though, if they have their own watchmaker then you don't get the pouch - but you could ask for one.
Old 19 November 2014, 03:26 AM   #7
LCDR
Banned

Thank you for the information.
In response to some questions: it was presented to me running. I wound it at that point to top it off. She is active and the watch stopped at 4pm (29 hours from my winding).

I do not antipate any problems with my AD. Come backs are parts of dealing with mechanical items. But, I would like to keep a complete logs of all service on the watch.

Thanks for the info.
Old 19 November 2014, 04:30 AM   #8
Ormond
"TRF" Member

I just got my watch back from service at an AD. I believe there is an authorized repair person in town. Mine came back in a green pouch with a polish cloth and a two year warranty.

I did receive an estimate prior to having the work performed.
Ormond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2014, 04:41 PM   #9
LCDR
Banned

Follow up report: I returned the watch to the AD and met with the tech. I asked him if he was a CW21. He said he is training for that but it is very difficult. Very honest.

They agreed to ship it to RSC, no charge (of course I already paid them $800).

The next day I recieved an email from the AD, they found a loose screw and the watch is fine. I did not appreciate this without my consent. However, I understand the tech would want to see what happened.

I instructed them to send to RSC anyway, because, I want to know the watch is up to full spec. They did.

So far I am only out 8 weeks out of service, $800 and another $17k.
Old 26 November 2014, 09:08 PM   #10
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Good to hear they are sending it off, but 17k sounds a little high for shipping.

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2014, 12:28 AM   #11
LCDR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushpup View Post
Good to hear they are sending it off, but 17k sounds a little high for shipping.
Collateral damage. With the delay my wife had her eye on the platinum YM. Nice watch. So...... his and hers matching Yacht Masters from DavidSW for Thanksgiving.
Old 27 November 2014, 02:15 AM   #12
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:
Follow up report: I returned the watch to the AD and met with the tech. I asked him if he was a CW21. He said he is training for that but it is very difficult. Very honest.

They agreed to ship it to RSC, no charge (of course I already paid them $800).

The next day I recieved an email from the AD, they found a loose screw and the watch is fine. I did not appreciate this without my consent. However, I understand the tech would want to see what happened.

I instructed them to send to RSC anyway, because, I want to know the watch is up to full spec. They did.

So far I am only out 8 weeks out of service, $800 and another $17k.
they let their trainee work on it and charged you $800? think I would be having a word with rolex.
Old 27 November 2014, 02:55 AM   #13
2ar2c1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Collateral damage. With the delay my wife had her eye on the platinum YM. Nice watch. So...... his and hers matching Yacht Masters from DavidSW for Thanksgiving.
watch out, next will be the matching shoes and handbag :)
2ar2c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2014, 04:29 AM   #14
LCDR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
they let their trainee work on it and charged you $800? think I would be having a word with rolex.
It was an employee of the AD not RSC. He is very experienced but is not yet a CW21. It appears that Rolex does not require it of all ADs or there are exemptions. Good question, I will ask him on the next visit.

What it tells me is that we are not recruiting and training enough skilled watch techs. All of us know several auto mechanics but how many of us know a watch repair tech?

This incident was my first encounter with a watch tech.
Old 27 November 2014, 05:24 AM   #15
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:
It was an employee of the AD not RSC. He is very experienced but is not yet a CW21. It appears that Rolex does not require it of all ADs or there are exemptions. Good question, I will ask him on the next visit.

What it tells me is that we are not recruiting and training enough skilled watch techs. All of us know several auto mechanics but how many of us know a watch repair tech?

This incident was my first encounter with a watch tech.
yes im aware that he is employed by the ad, I read it in your post. my point was that the ad allowed him to work on your watch which he was not qualified to do. you pay an ad $800 to do work on your watch and they allow an unqualified person to break it. I would ask the rsc or rolex usa direct if this is acceptable with peoples valuable watches.
Old 27 November 2014, 06:39 AM   #16
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

With no disrespect to the store tech, if I'm going to be paying full boat for the service I'd send it to the RSC.
Old 27 November 2014, 07:39 AM   #17
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
With no disrespect to the store tech, if I'm going to be paying full boat for the service I'd send it to the RSC.

Me too. But is $800 RSC service type $??Not sure, never had mine serviced there.

I wish that there were more qualified watchmakers around, but I guess for every one person I meet/know that thinks my Rolex watches are cool I meet 20 that think I am the one with the loose screw for spending that on a watch. But everyone drove a car to get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2014, 09:58 AM   #18
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
Me too. But is $800 RSC service type $??Not sure, never had mine serviced there.

I wish that there were more qualified watchmakers around, but I guess for every one person I meet/know that thinks my Rolex watches are cool I meet 20 that think I am the one with the loose screw for spending that on a watch. But everyone drove a car to get there.
Well, it depends on the watch and what needs to be done to it. But I believe current base cost for RSC service on a Sub is about $600 plus parts they determine need to be replaced.

I'm fortunate in that I have a local guy, a CMW21 (that's right, M) with a looong history of Rolex training and servicing Rolex watches. And he was a Rolex AD for decades. Suffice to say he's got a parts account and is the real deal.

The nice thing about a good local independent besides saving a little on the cost of service (and shipping/insurance both ways) is often much better turn around time.
Old 27 November 2014, 10:03 AM   #19
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
Well, it depends on the watch and what needs to be done to it. But I believe current base cost for RSC service on a Sub is about $600 plus parts they determine need to be replaced.

I'm fortunate in that I have a local guy, a CMW21 (that's right, M) with a looong history of Rolex training and servicing Rolex watches. And he was a Rolex AD for decades. Suffice to say he's got a parts account and is the real deal.

The nice thing about a good local independent besides saving a little on the cost of service (and shipping/insurance both ways) is often much better turn around time.

Thanks. I have a guy like that my AD hired a few years back to run their watch department. They just went thru a huge remodel and glassed out their expanded service department and are he just brought in 2 apprentices to train. Definitely a dying art but a good one is worth their weight in gold if you have Rolex that are not 100% original from what I have read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote