The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 June 2017, 07:32 AM   #1
h777
"TRF" Member

Advice on selling Rolex watch locally

Hi all,

First post here. Been on this forum for a few years and have gained a lot of knowledge and love for Rolex watches. Just have a question about selling my watch locally. I know I could sell it to a Trusted seller, but was hoping to get a little extra by selling it myself.

My question is for those of you who have sold it locally, have you had somebody request for the caseback to be opened by an independent watchmaker to verify authenticity? If so, is this something you would entertain as long as the independent watchmaker has enough experience and tools?

The person requesting this said they will pay for the service and any additional testing to ensure the seals are good. However, NO guarantee of a sale. I mean how many of you are comfortable having an independent watchmaker open the factory seal? I have always been of the mindset that only Rolex service center should service this watch. Not sure if I am overthinking this or not, but was hoping some of you might advise if you allowed your caseback to be opened when selling your watch.

Last edited by sleddog; 21 June 2017 at 11:49 AM..
h777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 11:07 AM   #2
Thatguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM
Does this independent have a Rolex parts account? If you go this route I would do it with the understanding that if it passes it will be a sale.
This is one of the many hassles of selling yourself. I would ask myself if it is really worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 11:11 AM   #3
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I would sell it to a trusted seller. And save the hassle. As for me, I figure every time someone opens a watch up there is a chance of a problem occurring. Why take the chance?
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 11:14 AM   #4
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Trusted seller unless you have a good reputation for selling watches. Once you have sold a few on here (for example) it becomes easier because you build up some feedback.
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 11:15 AM   #5
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
If there's a RSC nearby, why don't you offer to have it pressure tested there? That should remove any doubts from the potential buyer and you'll still have a fresh pressure test done.
Old 21 June 2017, 11:30 AM   #6
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I think you'd be surprised what some trusted sellers buy watches back at...they're only looking to make a couple hundred dollars usually on a common fast mover like this...and you'd be discounting at least that much with no feedback. So the money factor is a wash and you're left dealing with all the awesome customer service experience with internet buyers/tirekickers....I think trusted sellers on the forums is the clear choice here.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 11:33 AM   #7
Stillwater702
"TRF" Member

Try posting it in the classifieds here. If no offer, sell to a trusted seller. I posted it here but left a reasonable margin for a trusted seller. Got a PM from a TS and the rest was history. I tried Craigslist before, too many scammers and low ballers who will waste your time.
Stillwater702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 11:35 AM   #8
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Trusted Seller. Not worth the hassle of dealing with the general public on a sale like this.

The ND Sub is a no "meh" or "but" piece. Very liquid and in demand so TD will purchase for HARD CASH, no problem whatsoever...

Expect the CASH BID to be approx $5100 from a TD...maybe a bit more.

The ASK price for this Reference is approx $5900 - $6000 on a crisp preowned piece, so you might sell for a few more $$$...but then you have to be willing to EARN that extra $$$ by putting up with all the BS from Johnny Public.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 11:38 AM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I wouldn't go to that much trouble, you should be able to find a buyer otherwise, meet at your bank or an AD first if he prefers, and then have them pay the cash into your account.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 12:51 PM   #10
bob78h
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
If there is no RSC nearby and the independent watchmaker is highly regarded, I would be ok with having them open the watch up to authenticate it, as long as the prospective buyer covers all costs plus a pressure test. I've bought used before so I can understand their concern. However, I'm assuming that we've already agreed on a price and the buyer agrees to purchase it if everything checks out.

If, as you say, there is no guarantee of sale, I wouldn't waste my time. Too many tire kickers out there. I would list it on here/wait for another interested buyer, especially if it is a piece in high demand and good condition. If a buyer is willing to pay for the authentication they should be ready to purchase, so if they are unwilling to commit that tells me that they are probably very picky and hard to please. Not worth dealing with these people IMO.
bob78h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 01:04 PM   #11
socialpro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex || Panerai
Is that what it takes now to 'verify' authenticity is to open the watch up look at the movement etc?

I would stay away from 'local' sales. Throw it up on the forum or go through a trusted seller / dealer on these boards.
socialpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 01:25 PM   #12
westsideclock
"TRF" Member

The question is whether the extra $500-$1000 is worth it. I agree that the condition for opening is only to authenticate and buyer must buy it. I would actually even take a $250 deposit before opening that the seller loses if he/she doesn't buy the watch. Forget the seal tsting - buyer can pay for new seals himself if needed.

The local buyer is probably going to only pay $5k to $5.5k, and I think you can get $4.5k to $4.75k for it from a dealer.
westsideclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 03:58 PM   #13
melrob1
"TRF" Member

No way I would allow that. Tell them no thanks amd move on to the next buyer who will show up eventually. Don't get sucked in just to make a sale. I sell mine sometimes on Craigslist. Good thing is you can choose who you want to sell it to so if they want things you are not comfortable with you can just say no. I'd give it a two week try on your own then move it to trusted seller if no one bites
melrob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 04:27 PM   #14
Mirx
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I wouldn't go to that much trouble, you should be able to find a buyer otherwise, meet at your bank or an AD first if he prefers, and then have them pay the cash into your account.

Completely agree. Have sold many watches over the years this way without a single problem.
Mirx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 12:00 AM   #15
h777
"TRF" Member

Thanks soo much for the advice. Greatly appreciate the help here.
h777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 12:18 AM   #16
Danny83
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by h777 View Post
Thanks soo much for the advice. Greatly appreciate the help here.
If you have to go that route, make him prepay you beforehand refund him only if watch is not authentic.
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 12:46 AM   #17
chows99
"TRF" Member

Which Trusted Seller is the most popular here? There aren't many with plenty of reviews in the classifieds. Usually the review has 0 comments.
chows99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 03:03 AM   #18
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by chows99 View Post
Which Trusted Seller is the most popular here? There aren't many with plenty of reviews in the classifieds. Usually the review has 0 comments.
Keep looking, guys like Davidsw have many reviews. Also search for a few watches for sale and see who is selling, you'll see the same names and then go see their reviews.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 03:07 AM   #19
lopez784
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by h777 View Post
Hi all,

First post here. Been on this forum for a few years and have gained a lot of knowledge and love for Rolex watches. Just have a question about selling my watch locally. I know I could sell it to a Trusted seller, but was hoping to get a little extra by selling it myself.

My question is for those of you who have sold it locally, have you had somebody request for the caseback to be opened by an independent watchmaker to verify authenticity? If so, is this something you would entertain as long as the independent watchmaker has enough experience and tools?

The person requesting this said they will pay for the service and any additional testing to ensure the seals are good. However, NO guarantee of a sale. I mean how many of you are comfortable having an independent watchmaker open the factory seal? I have always been of the mindset that only Rolex service center should service this watch. Not sure if I am overthinking this or not, but was hoping some of you might advise if you allowed your caseback to be opened when selling your watch.

This is ridiculous. Do not be desperate, I am sure another person more reasonable will come around.
lopez784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 03:42 AM   #20
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I would only agree to opening the caseback on a sale. Essentially you'd be giving a purchase guarantee of authenticity. Any damage to the watch voids any refund.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 06:14 AM   #21
Crazy88
"TRF" Member

I would not agree to do that at all. Sell to a different buyer
Crazy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 06:24 AM   #22
cataby
"TRF" Member

Watch: sea dweller
always amazes me how unimportant money is to so many people on here.

I do face to face sales all year long as a secondary business, be damned if I am so lazy as to throw $1000 away just so I didn't have to bother selling something myself.

wow
cataby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 06:30 AM   #23
strass.arnold
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataby View Post

I do face to face sales all year long as a secondary business, be damned if I am so lazy as to throw $1000 away just so I didn't have to bother selling something myself.

wow
I agree with you a $1000 is a $1000 after all.
strass.arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 06:37 AM   #24
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
I would only agree to opening the caseback on a sale. Essentially you'd be giving a purchase guarantee of authenticity. Any damage to the watch voids any refund.
right on the money
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 07:15 AM   #25
haven_seeker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 19018N OQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataby View Post

wow
Cataby, let me step in here if you don't mind. Most of the people out there that own Rolexes are not hurting for money. This is, by design, a more affluent part of the population, just because of the high cost of entry. Don't be offended by this, Rolex wouldn't have it any other way. So when you see people on here who seem to care a little less about pinching pennies, and their advice reflects that, it doesn't necessarily mean their advice is bad. Just a different view point is all!
haven_seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 07:16 AM   #26
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I would never let anyone open one of my watches. There no guarantee they will even buy after they have it opened. I have always sold to dealers but may check out TS here. No hassle, they generally provide an insured label and wire the funds on receipt. Most of these dealers touch up the watches so they are not crazy over some hairline you can only in certain lighting as a private person might be.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 07:54 AM   #27
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I would not offer my Rolex this way. Too many nutcases outside looking to scam.
As a private seller with no feedback you have to go below normal market price otherwise nobody will buy, apart from the people in the previous sentence.
Where is the extra profit ?
Old 22 June 2017, 09:45 AM   #28
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chows99 View Post
Reviews are here: https://www.rolexforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Only the person posting the classified can make comments in the listing. So you won't find reviews or any other commentary in the ads.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote