The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 September 2017, 09:12 AM   #31
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiroo View Post
Do you really one TWO watches with the fluted bezel!? A few months ago I was consider the SD vs The new AP Royal Oak Chrono (blue dial). The simple fact that the SD is now available in SS and even worse two tone variants was a huge turn off for me. I believe it should have remained a PM watch. I ended up getting the AP 15400 OR on a blue dial and have never looked back. There are nights where I stay at home watch TV and have the watch sitting on the coffee table in its box so I can stare at its beauty. AP gets my vote!
I completely agree with you that the SD should have been kept in PM. It would make it that much more desirable. Given the high price point, Rolex's decision in dropping the SS has made it reachable for the people that liked the model. No need for us to be selfish, would've been nice though!
LAFLARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 09:16 AM   #32
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiroo View Post
I went through this exact dilemma few months back.

Winner:

Absolutely gorgeous pieces. I'm laughing to myself because it seems like I may pull a stunt like that and just try to go for the gold bracelet. Not sure if that is going to happen or not though since it is hovering right outside my budget. Congrats on your pick though! Very nice!
Old 3 September 2017, 09:26 AM   #33
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I like this one ^^^^^^^^

with the RG bracelet. That black bezel with the RG, especially in 44 mm, is more bold than I would enjoy. This one seems more elegant. But what do I know? I don't really have an appreciation for AP ROOs.
Old 3 September 2017, 10:50 AM   #34
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
AP RG44 is a much more striking watch, in my opinion
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 04:33 PM   #35
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFLARE View Post
I was starting to lean towards the AP, but then I did catch a couple of those threads surfacing the problems with the movement and it is starting to scare me off. I am collecting that the sample size is relatively small, but still giving me quite a push back. The AP44 just seems absolutely stunning.
I've owned 3 AP 44's. No issues.

I would go with the RG AP 44 every time. Much more special piece.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 04:51 PM   #36
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Always rubs me wrong when I come across those reads. My condolences to you. On the flip side, seems like you got the watch back and it is in the great condition it has always been expected to be in. What was wrong with the movement? How was the process? Is this watch something that grabs a lot of attention or does it happen to stay more lowkey? Appreciate the input!
The watch isn't back yet, but will be soon. The process in London is a bit more difficult at the moment vs what you would have at clearwater in florida. That is the best service center around.

The AP does get noticed, but the positive is people generally don't even know what they just saw just that it looks awesome. Most people will know Rolex.

The other factor to consider apart from the watches is the RG itself. IMO AP does RG better than any other brand. Rolex's RG is slightly more red to my eyes and i don't like it as much. AP's RG is much softer looking. Then you have the finishing to consider. In that area AP is by far the superior choice and objectively there isn't even a debate on that.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 05:03 PM   #37
Fletcher UK
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
My 2 favotite pieces. If I could afford any 2 watches these would be the 2 I would be debating also. I saw the choc RG SkyDweller in an AD window yesterday and have to say it is epic, the dial is very clear and legible. It is my favourite Rolex even over the platinum models. It is very blingy and suspect it would garner ALOT on attention. I think although the AP would have significant wrist presence I think it would fly a little more under the radar. I also prefer the older model with the white sub dials. Which do you prefer, the latest or older dial AP? It's a tough tough call. Quite different watches. I actually can't pick. I would probably change my decision each time you asked me. Today I will go SkyDweller probably cos I saw one yesterday. I've tried the SD and the weight shocked me. Fantastic. Have you tried them both?
Fletcher UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 05:07 PM   #38
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Thanks to everyone that threw down their .02. Most people that responded all held their own SD's or 44's at some point or currently and your responses were great. I went to the AD today for a final round of inspection and I have decided which watch to purchase. The new watch is on the way and I will update with a picture once I have receive the watch!
Old 3 September 2017, 05:23 PM   #39
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher UK View Post
My 2 favotite pieces. If I could afford any 2 watches these would be the 2 I would be debating also. I saw the choc RG SkyDweller in an AD window yesterday and have to say it is epic, the dial is very clear and legible. It is my favourite Rolex even over the platinum models. It is very blingy and suspect it would garner ALOT on attention. I think although the AP would have significant wrist presence I think it would fly a little more under the radar. I also prefer the older model with the white sub dials. Which do you prefer, the latest or older dial AP? It's a tough tough call. Quite different watches. I actually can't pick. I would probably change my decision each time you asked me. Today I will go SkyDweller probably cos I saw one yesterday. I've tried the SD and the weight shocked me. Fantastic. Have you tried them both?
I prefer the SS sky dweller to the PM one but i am a sky dweller fan. If you are near london Selfridges has BOTH the old and new dial AP RG 44 in stock and on display. Its the only dealer in london that still has the old dial. Its actually quite nice to see both at the same time as 99% of the time that isn't possible.

In pictures the old dial photographs better there is no question about that. In person the new dial is superior IMO. That is very evident when you see both at the same time, to me at least.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 3 September 2017, 05:25 PM   #40
G'ed
"TRF" Member

I’m sad every time I come across these threads.

I don’t have the wrist for those AP 44.
G'ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 06:29 PM   #41
Fletcher UK
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
I prefer the SS sky dweller to the PM one but i am a sky dweller fan. If you are near london Selfridges has BOTH the old and new dial AP RG 44 in stock and on display. Its the only dealer in london that still has the old dial. Its actually quite nice to see both at the same time as 99% of the time that isn't possible.

In pictures the old dial photographs better there is no question about that. In person the new dial is superior IMO. That is very evident when you see both at the same time, to me at least.
I'm not near London unfortunately otherwise I would take a look. That's interesting to know. I haven't seen the newer dial in the flesh only in pics and yes you are right the old dial does look better in pics. I'll reserve my judgement until I see one in the flesh then, cheers
Fletcher UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 07:11 PM   #42
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The watch isn't back yet, but will be soon. The process in London is a bit more difficult at the moment vs what you would have at clearwater in florida. That is the best service center around.

The AP does get noticed, but the positive is people generally don't even know what they just saw just that it looks awesome. Most people will know Rolex.

The other factor to consider apart from the watches is the RG itself. IMO AP does RG better than any other brand. Rolex's RG is slightly more red to my eyes and i don't like it as much. AP's RG is much softer looking. Then you have the finishing to consider. In that area AP is by far the superior choice and objectively there isn't even a debate on that.
My good friend that works at an AD claims that winding the watch on arm or improperly will cause the movement issues that I've been reading on. Any chance this claim may be the least bit true?
Old 3 September 2017, 07:14 PM   #43
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My good friend that works at an AD claims that winding the watch on arm or improperly will cause the movement issues that I've been reading on. Any chance this claim may be the least bit true?
there are a lot of things that can happen on a mechanical watch with so many parts, AP or any other brand.

My issue was the chronograph module specifically. The watch would work fine as long as i was not using the chronograph. When using it, the entire watch would stop. Could be a power reserve issue but most likely something wrong with the chronograph module and how it interacts with the base movement.

The issue i had was 100% not user error and improperly winding or bending the stem would be so maybe your friend was trying to imply that the issues are the users fault, which sometimes is a way to deflect attention from something being a flaw. Like i said before though, my issue with the watch does not give me any pause when thinking about the overall quality of AP and I would still buy it again.
Old 3 September 2017, 07:30 PM   #44
Star Ferry
Banned

Since you're keeping the DJ2, the SkyD could be a little redundant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G'ed View Post
I’m sad every time I come across these threads.

I don’t have the wrist for those AP 44.
Me neither. Can do 42 but not 44
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 07:41 PM   #45
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
there are a lot of things that can happen on a mechanical watch with so many parts, AP or any other brand.

My issue was the chronograph module specifically. The watch would work fine as long as i was not using the chronograph. When using it, the entire watch would stop. Could be a power reserve issue but most likely something wrong with the chronograph module and how it interacts with the base movement.

The issue i had was 100% not user error and improperly winding or bending the stem would be so maybe your friend was trying to imply that the issues are the users fault, which sometimes is a way to deflect attention from something being a flaw. Like i said before though, my issue with the watch does not give me any pause when thinking about the overall quality of AP and I would still buy it again.
Well said
Old 6 September 2017, 09:15 AM   #46
Amiroo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak Chrono
Quote:
Absolutely gorgeous pieces. I'm laughing to myself because it seems like I may pull a stunt like that and just try to go for the gold bracelet. Not sure if that is going to happen or not though since it is hovering right outside my budget. Congrats on your pick though! Very nice!
I too had my heart set on the chronos on the leather strap. Once I saw the bracelet in person and on my wrist, it was game over. I believe Rolex makes amazing bracelets, both the president and oyster but AP's bracelet is by far the best in terms of how it sits on your wrist, its beauty, and finishing.
Amiroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 11:43 AM   #47
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolleyme View Post
I was in the same boat but felt the skyd was more versatile. Also I wanted a bracelet.

Skydweller.

Instant classic I think.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 11:54 AM   #48
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeTee View Post
I own both.
The AP always feels special putting it on. It has infinitely more personality than the SkyD.

I do feel more comfortable wearing the SkyD with formal clothing though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't own either and am never likely to. I'm also a little biased because I am not a fan of AP (I don't dislike them, just not keen on the look, that's all).

But damn, that RG Sky D looks special! I would be all over that like a fat kid on a cupcake

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 12:01 PM   #49
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerdj View Post
I would go with the RG Sky Dweller but look at the YG version too.
Agree. Love my yg skyd. My favorite pm watch. In fact, you were definitely an enabler.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
jbsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 01:53 PM   #50
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Ap RG44

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 02:42 PM   #51
gummy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: AP PP Rolex
I own and have owned both Sky dweller and 44mm AP's in different flavors...AP 44mm each time.

Comfort...finishing and overall vibe of the watch.
gummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 08:23 PM   #52
sager
"TRF" Member

Rolex RG SkyDweller
sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2017, 12:36 AM   #53
tomchicago
Banned

Watch: 16710BLRO, 214270.
I never got the whole AP thing. Strictly my opinion, I think they're kinda cheesy.
tomchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2017, 12:41 AM   #54
EvEr34
"TRF" Member

Skydweller for sure. Much nicer piece in my opinion.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk
EvEr34 is offline   Reply With Quote