The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 3 September 2017, 02:54 AM   #1
heygawgaw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 16600
no notices my Rolex

OK, went to Starbucks this AM. At the drive through window, the 20 something barista says "hey that a nice watch, is it an Invicta? You know in Invicta makes some "sic" watches, they look like so much like Rolexes"... as I reach for my drink, I say "yeah that's probably so, want to look at mine?" I show him my watch and he then says, "woaha, my bad, it is a Rolex".....so I say "no worries, imitation is a form of flattery, work hard young man and save up and you too can have the real thing".......
My wife was being a little snobby, " she says "Invicta like Rolex?, try a few more $$$$"......" We all laughed and I wished him a great day, at least someone finally noticed my watch..!??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
heygawgaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 02:58 AM   #2
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Everyone notices it, but most people are too polite/repressed/whatever to make you aware they've seen it. I see them very often, and hardly ever say anything. It's quite a personal thing to comment on to a complete stranger.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 02:59 AM   #3
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Surprised he knew what an Invicta was, I didn't till I joined here. He'll have a Rolex one day.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 03:09 AM   #4
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Surprised he knew what an Invicta was, I didn't till I joined here. He'll have a Rolex one day.
Invicta has made amazing penetration in to the market. Marked as high priced and frequently selling at a 20th of their "list." Makes people feel fortunate at the deal they've gotten. Such BS.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 03:19 AM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heygawgaw View Post
OK, went to Starbucks this AM. At the drive through window, the 20 something barista says "hey that a nice watch, is it an Invicta? You know in Invicta makes some "sic" watches, they look like so much like Rolexes"... as I reach for my drink, I say "yeah that's probably so, want to look at mine?" I show him my watch and he then says, "woaha, my bad, it is a Rolex".....so I say "no worries, imitation is a form of flattery, work hard young man and save up and you too can have the real thing".......
My wife was being a little snobby, " she says "Invicta like Rolex?, try a few more $$$$"......" We all laughed and I wished him a great day, at least someone finally noticed my watch..!??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why anyone would like to have anyone notice that you was wearingva Rolex defeats me you could try a sticker on your forehead hay look I am wearing a Rolex.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 03:19 AM   #6
lhawli
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollister View Post
Everyone notices it, but most people are too polite/repressed/whatever to make you aware they've seen it. I see them very often, and hardly ever say anything. It's quite a personal thing to comment on to a complete stranger.

I agree! I'd say most people will recognize a Rolex when they notice it on someone - but majority do not comment. Doesn't mean your Rolex or "watch" isn't being noticed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rolex GMT Master II [116710BLNR]
Rolex Cosmograph Daytona [116500LN]
lhawli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 03:19 AM   #7
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Watch: my feet.
Waiting for the day I am complimented on my "Michael Kors" Daytona.

"Better three hours too soon, than a minute too late."

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us."

ref. 116520 Daytona - 10/2014
KrismanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 03:23 AM   #8
offrdmania
2024 Pledge Member

I work in a wine tasting room in wine country on the weekends. Just about every guy walking through the door is wearing a luxury brand watch. I have watch conversations all the time with them.
Old 3 September 2017, 03:25 AM   #9
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Why anyone would like to have anyone notice that you was wearingva Rolex defeats me you could try a sticker on your forehead hay look I am wearing a Rolex.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 03:28 AM   #10
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

I was working a food booth at a fundraiser last week. A customer was wearing a sweet vintage GMT. I came around to his side and asked him how it worked. He showed me how to set the hand and change the date. He seemed happy that someone was interested in his watch.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 03:53 AM   #11
Renovar
"TRF" Member

I find that Rolex owners falls into a bi-modal distribution - one group that wants to be noticed, and a distinct other group who doesn't.

It can be awkward sometimes. I sometimes asked something to the effect of "hey that's a nice c-sub/DJ2 ya got", and many got a puzzled reply "what are you talking about, it's a Rolex"...
Renovar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 03:56 AM   #12
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renovar View Post
I find that Rolex owners falls into a bi-modal distribution - one group that wants to be noticed, and a distinct other group who doesn't.

It can be awkward sometimes. I sometimes asked something to the effect of "hey that's a nice c-sub/DJ2 ya got", and many got a puzzled reply "what are you talking about, it's a Rolex"...
Pretty much this.

This forum is a bubble though.

The vast majority of people buying a Rolex want people to know they are wearing a Rolex.

Then again, when someone asks me what kind of luxury watch they should buy, I usually recommend a Rolex. I guess I'm to blame as well.
Old 3 September 2017, 04:03 AM   #13
machob55
"TRF" Member

When I was 18, I was working in a men's clothing store in Manhasset, NY. The store was very upscale, almost a mini Brooks Brothers. Most customers were doctors and lawyers. There were always a myriad amount of watches on display, with Rolex being at the forefront. It became an instant infatuation for me. Now 43 years later, I still have the bug. There is no salvation from this "Love Affair" for me!

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
machob55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 04:06 AM   #14
rozyd
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD,DD,Exp1,Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrismanX View Post
Waiting for the day I am complimented on my "Michael Kors" Daytona.
It’s halpened to me by a waitress at Buffalo Wild Wings.
rozyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 04:07 AM   #15
dave023
"TRF" Member

Watch: Classics
Nice Sd
dave023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 04:16 AM   #16
Beowulf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This does happen and it is very curious. I think the reason is that some people see "Rolex" as a luxy item and don't really know much about it. It's what "rich people waste their money on". Most of my friends and family would probably think that way.

So for some users, you just don't want those people to notice it since it might give the wrong impression. In my case i'm not rich and don't waste, so I simply don't want to leak that look.

Other users get the Rolex exactly because of the image it will pass, and in those cases want exactly the opposite, they want to be noticed.

Quote:
I suppose this can happen with the second type I mentioned. People who went for the logo/crown and just the brand. They don't really know much about the details and sometimes don't even know the exact model, movement, etc. "Says "Rolex" in it and it cost me a bucketload, that's all I know"
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 04:21 AM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
First thing I thought as well
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 07:14 AM   #18
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I don't like anyone to notice or comment on my watches, unless I know they are another watch nut.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 07:18 AM   #19
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
The only two times I had the Rolex I was wearing noticed was; in a checkout line of a supermarket, at car dealership where I was buying a car. Not bad for 50 years on the wrist.
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 07:26 AM   #20
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Watch: my feet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rozyd View Post
It’s halpened to me by a waitress at Buffalo Wild Wings.
Oh B-Dubbs...Always an experience!

The only attention my watch actually gets is from my clients--and usually only because I have taken a liking to their watch first--to which I usually get a confused puppy reaction, until they notice what I'm wearing. Then it's WIS or bust.

Surprisingly to me, watch talk goes beyond the barriers of language when it's WIS on WIS. I once had a client who spoke no English; but once I nodded at his Vacheron Constantin, we laughed back and forth for another 10 minutes as I gushed on his watch and taught him how to pronounce the names of his watch collection.

"Better three hours too soon, than a minute too late."

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us."

ref. 116520 Daytona - 10/2014
KrismanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 07:27 AM   #21
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
Pretty much this.

The vast majority of people buying a Rolex want people to know they are wearing a Rolex.

Then again, when someone asks me what kind of luxury watch they should buy, I usually recommend a Rolex. I guess I'm to blame as well.

I like this bubble. And agree w many others that i could care less if anyone notices my watch.. unless it's another WIS, in which case its a great way to strike up a conversation that usually is interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 07:35 AM   #22
swully
"TRF" Member

I like to play poker with my daydate 40 and put the reflection from the dial in people's eye until it's noticed. Then I act like I don't want them to ask about it.
swully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 07:40 AM   #23
krh7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swully View Post
I like to play poker with my daydate 40 and put the reflection from the dial in people's eye until it's noticed. Then I act like I don't want them to ask about it.
too funny. passive aggressive rolex wearing at it's best!
krh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 07:45 AM   #24
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
Pretty much this.

How could you not really? They hold their value better than most other brands, they are pretty robust, they are beautiful and they are accurate. The only down side is the cost.

Nobody really notices mine either... at least not that I've noticed anyway.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 07:49 AM   #25
august1410
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1983 15003
When I first got my watch, I waited for the first person to notice it....and then I realized very few people outside of watch circles notice or comment on people's watches. I notice them because I am a watch guy.
Old 3 September 2017, 07:52 AM   #26
DavidUK
"TRF" Member

In the malls in Florida I often get "hey, nice Rolex" but I think that's mostly because they want to sell me some expensive polishing solution!

I walk quickly away...
DavidUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 08:00 AM   #27
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I've been wearing Rolex for over 30 years. I would say that most people couldn't tell a Rolex from a Timex; I could count the comments on mine on both hands..
Old 3 September 2017, 08:25 AM   #28
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Most people don't care. The fact that you're wearing something worth 10k or a couple hundred, only will turn heads to the WIS
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 08:34 AM   #29
Bleezal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Only time I don't want folks to notice my Rolie is when I'm paying someone for their services... I.e. when I meet to pay a contractor for work done on my house... Don't want to give them the wrong impression... That I have money...

Sent from a planet called Rolex
Bleezal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 08:35 AM   #30
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
I think more notice than comment but on the whole it is a small percentage that really notice a watch at all.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote