The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 6 September 2017, 06:26 PM   #1
Plastique999
"TRF" Member

Watch: VC Toledo 1952
An Elephant for a 5712......

I recently got the Elephant and find myself wearing it less than I thought. The 5712/1A has always been on my list to get, but figured down the road....

My friend throws a dinner party and has his 5712 on so he lets me try it on. Felt comfortable....But, I was really surprised at how light it felt on the wrist - almost too light as in feeling 'cheap'. God forbid, it is not, as I know the 5712 is nearly twice the cost of an Elephant but does anyone feel the 5712 feels too light? It makes a SS Daytona feel substantial in weight.

So now I have second thoughts on later acquiring the 5712/1A. Perhaps the 5712G for not much more?? Does the white gold feel heavier?

Sent from my Zeitwerk
Plastique999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 07:10 PM   #2
Foxman2k
"TRF" Member

Both very nice albeit very different watches. I've only tried in the two tone chronograph Nautilus and it was of a decent weight.

I know what you mean though when they are almost too light, the grand Seiko Snowflake initially feels this way
Foxman2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 07:55 PM   #3
PJ S
Banned

^
That’s because the Grand Seiko is Titanium, not Steel.

Plastique, the downside of going for the 5712G is lack of accompanying bracelet – strap job only, unfortunately.
It’s light because there’s a fair bit less material compared to the ROO, but it’s no different when you think about your 15707CE, yet you accept that without a second’s thought.
The 5712 is supposed to be like that, and as much as the dial layout really grates on me, I’d sooner have it than the lump of dull greyness that the Elephant is.
If you want a grey chronograph, go grab yourself a Vacheron Constantin Overseas 49150 Deepstream – that’s grey done right, and will give you the slimness of the 5712 but with a touch more heft, if that genuinely is a concern.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 08:25 PM   #4
Star Ferry
Banned

if weight and wrist presence is something you care about, then I don't think the 5712 is worth your $$$
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 08:40 PM   #5
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Yes the WG 5712G is heavier but for me I don't like it. I find the dial really "wash out" and prefer the 5712R if wrist presence is important to you. But go with your heart. If you actually like the Elephant better there is no reason to flip.
Old 6 September 2017, 08:43 PM   #6
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I'm never one to talk down an AP...but that 5712 does look great
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 08:47 PM   #7
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
I am probably in minority here but never liked the 5712 as don't care at all for the dial. It just looks like it is trying too hard with the power reserve indicator. With that said to each his own but if you like the Elephant why get rid of it?

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 09:58 PM   #8
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Yes the WG 5712G is heavier but for me I don't like it. I find the dial really "wash out" and prefer the 5712R if wrist presence is important to you. But go with your heart. If you actually like the Elephant better there is no reason to flip.
I agree, the weight of the 5712r is very nice and the dial is a better darker grey/brown colour.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 10:07 PM   #9
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
I am probably in minority here but never liked the 5712 as don't care at all for the dial. It just looks like it is trying too hard with the power reserve indicator. With that said to each his own but if you like the Elephant why get rid of it?

I agree the 5712 is very popular but I don't like the dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 10:14 PM   #10
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastique999 View Post

... does anyone feel the 5712 feels too light? It makes a SS Daytona feel substantial in weight.
The lightness is a big part of the appeal, for me, because it makes the watch so comfortable. It's my favourite watch (with the exception of a grail FP Journe I have).

The dial layout is perfect.

Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 10:23 PM   #11
Tristis
"TRF" Member

5712G I couldn't figure out how I felt about it bc of the leather strap and the unique genta case/dial design being offset by the monotone muted/washed out look of the dial, although it was heftier than the 1A. I agree with others above the R pops more and for whatever reason the leather strap on it makes more sense to me, and would be my choice of golds, although I feel like the bracelet on the 1A is a major draw.

Tristis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 10:29 PM   #12
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollister View Post
The dial layout is perfect.
Stevie Wonder just called and asked if you’re finished with his eyeballs yet?
Old 6 September 2017, 10:30 PM   #13
gummy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: AP PP Rolex
Two totally different animals...Obviously

The 5712 looks great on your wrist...and that would make a great pair for versatility.

If you are looking to scratch the Nautilus itch and want a little more heft...5990 or discontinued 5980 in steel or more heft 5980 in Rose Gold...worth a shot
gummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 10:39 PM   #14
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Arf!
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 10:44 PM   #15
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
I recently got the Elephant and find myself wearing it less than I thought. The 5712/1A has always been on my list to get, but figured down the road....

My friend throws a dinner party and has his 5712 on so he lets me try it on. Felt comfortable....But, I was really surprised at how light it felt on the wrist - almost too light as in feeling 'cheap'. God forbid, it is not, as I know the 5712 is nearly twice the cost of an Elephant but does anyone feel the 5712 feels too light? It makes a SS Daytona feel substantial in weight.

So now I have second thoughts on later acquiring the 5712/1A. Perhaps the 5712G for not much more?? Does the white gold feel heavier?

Sent from my Zeitwerk

5712 does look very good on you, I also love the AP elephant - could you look to add the Patek and then you'd have both?

The lightness of the nautilus doesn't bother me as I'll wear mine with a suit (when it arrives) and I think the size etc is just right. It does look too small on my wrist for polos/jeans though so I'll always have an AP for that.

I've looked at Vacheron overseas but was advised against them (in the U.K.) as there's a limited secondary market so the value tanks on resale.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 11:31 PM   #16
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
I've looked at Vacheron overseas but was advised against them (in the U.K.) as there's a limited secondary market so the value tanks on resale.
This assumes you only buy at full retail and only sell back to the trade rather than privately.
Like any other watch that isn’t SS Rolex or Patek ”sports”, buy with the right amount of incentivised discount or pre-owned, and you’ll come out the other side not too badly.
Of course, if monetary value is your sole purpose for being interested in watches, then your pool of potential candidates will forever be shallow.
Old 6 September 2017, 11:52 PM   #17
kitsgq
"TRF" Member

The 5712 is a light watch, but once it gets some wrist time that becomes a moot point. It took me about 10 mins to get over the light feel of the watch, since I've worn a gold or ss Daytona as my daily wearer before if got the 5712. The sleekness, low profile height, and dial will me you forget that weight was ever a consideration.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
kitsgq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 11:54 PM   #18
Bobby T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
^
I’d sooner have it than the lump of dull greyness that the Elephant is.
If you want a grey chronograph, go grab yourself a Vacheron Constantin Overseas 49150 Deepstream – that’s grey done right, and will give you the slimness of the 5712 but with a touch more heft, if that genuinely is a concern.
Bobby T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 11:54 PM   #19
kitsgq
"TRF" Member

* will make you forget that weight was ever a consideration

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
kitsgq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 11:58 PM   #20
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Personally i would do it. The Elephant is no good to you if you don't wear it. I love the 5712 (in steel, not gold), so its a good choice but very different so i think you would need at least one other ROO in your collection, but not sure if you do or not.

I really like the Elephant too though so i would normally not be in the "flip it" camp.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2017, 12:15 AM   #21
Star Ferry
Banned

You.thought about 5726? Bigger, thicker, heavier. Dial a bit cleaner as well? That's the only Naut I'd consider buying
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2017, 12:17 AM   #22
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby T View Post
He phoned you too?
Old 7 September 2017, 12:18 AM   #23
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
The lightness is the draw. If it's not the draw for you, then look elsewhere

Good suggestion by Steve on the 5726. That wears like a Rolex gmt. Superb.
Old 7 September 2017, 12:20 AM   #24
tng11
"TRF" Member

My Offshore has gotten very little wrist time since I picked up a 5167, when it was my daily watch for almost 4 years. Even though my Offshore is in carbon, it's a gigantic watch that's still somewhat top heavy. I've come to greatly appreciate the lightness of the 5167 and its more wearable size - and I'm thinking it's probably time to flip the Offshore and get the 5712/1A I so desire. And that's significant, considering I've always owned at least one Offshore in my collection since 2009.

If going for a PM piece, I'd definitely do RG. The grey dial on the WG doesn't really contrast with the metal and it looks washed out when compared to the multi-tone and depth of the RG and SS dials.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2017, 12:26 AM   #25
Plastique999
"TRF" Member

Watch: VC Toledo 1952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
You.thought about 5726? Bigger, thicker, heavier. Dial a bit cleaner as well? That's the only Naut I'd consider buying

Good suggestion, curious how much heavier it feels as both are stainless steel?

Sent from my Zeitwerk
Plastique999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2017, 01:20 AM   #26
PJ S
Banned

^
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=533068
Old 7 September 2017, 01:35 AM   #27
dddibakar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
All patek steel watches are very very light. I tried a ss 5980 just to see the size as I want the 1R sometime in the future. It just felt so light compared to my daytona(maybe because of the gold) anyway, all patek steel watches are very light.

dddibakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2017, 02:33 AM   #28
Kimber007
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP
Quote:
I recently got the Elephant and find myself wearing it less than I thought.
Do you mind elaborating why this is? I've been considering this as my first AP so curious to why it's not getting much wrist time especially if you just got it. Thanks
Kimber007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2017, 03:18 AM   #29
PJ S
Banned

^
Could be nothing more than the thrill of the chase was greater than the capture – not unlike buying a heavily advertised cereal, only to find out your expectations were higher than the realisations.
Old 7 September 2017, 03:28 AM   #30
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
^
Could be nothing more than the thrill of the chase was greater than the capture – not unlike buying a heavily advertised cereal, only to find out your expectations were higher than the realisations.

Thats why i go here for breakfast, they have at least 100 varieties and about 20 different kinds of milk.

http://www.cerealkillercafe.co.uk/#
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote