The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 10 December 2017, 12:45 AM   #1
Nacc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex OP Datejust
Did I make a mistake or am I just paranoid

Hi everyone, While on a cruise this past April I fell in love with a older (1980’s) Blue face Rolex oyster perpetually datejust model 16233. After seeing it every day calling out to me to please take it home, I did. Now I’m wondering why once in a while I have a problem setting the date or am I just paranoid that I might have been taken. I tried yesterday to set the date and time and I could not get the date to move initially and wasnt able to even turn the hands. The watch was showing about 1:20 and I just read that you shouldn’t try to adjust the date between 10:-2:00. So maybe that is why I couldn’t do anything initially but eventually I was able to set it.
I also didn’t know you turn the stem only in one direction when setting the date. When I purchased the watch I was given it with a beautiful box and a laminated card from Gem World containing all that data on my watch and the inspection results report , but no directions on how to set it and at the time I didn’t think I would need any, after all at 71 I have owned many watches that you manually set and hand wind. So everything is working fine now but I wanted to know if Swiss Crown USA is a reputable dealer and has if anyone had experience with them and their full 2 year full warranty.
Thanks for any input.
Nacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2017, 01:16 AM   #2
joesetx
"TRF" Member

Here's a nice tutorial on the basics of winding and setting a Rolex movement.

https://blog.crownandcaliber.com/how...a-rolex-watch/
joesetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2017, 01:18 AM   #3
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Pics are always welcome.
Old 10 December 2017, 02:24 AM   #4
Nacc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex OP Datejust
How to post a picture

I can’t find a link to it
Nacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2017, 03:25 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacc View Post
. . . I tried yesterday to set the date and time and I could not get the date to move initially and wasnt able to even turn the hands. The watch was showing about 1:20 and I just read that you shouldn’t try to adjust the date between 10:-2:00. So maybe that is why I couldn’t do anything initially but eventually I was able to set it.
I also didn’t know you turn the stem only in one direction when setting the date. . . .
Sometimes it takes a bit of fiddling to get the stem in exactly the right spot.

You can set the date on your Datejust at any time of the day or night you want. That model has quickset date, so you pull the crown out one click to wind, then a second click for the quickset date, and finally, all the way out to set the hands.

The date quickset position does only change the date in one direction so turning the other way won't do anything. In the hand/time-set position you can turn and set the hands in any direction you choose.