The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 20 June 2013, 01:31 AM   #1
zxing
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Opinions on this 1016?

This 1016 Explorer has been offered for sale locally. I have the opportunity to check it out in person, but first, what do you guys think of this watch? Serial number is 298XXXX. What would be a decent price?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (105.4 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (99.6 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (67.9 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (67.3 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (83.7 KB, 255 views)
zxing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2013, 01:40 AM   #2
Beef
"TRF" Member

Question: is the dial a Luminova Rolex service replacement dial, Luminova added to a NOS tritium dial? The numbers and plots have a rounded surface (at least on my iPhone.) I have a 1016 with one of those RSC "over prints." I love it because it is functional and is why I bought it. But with many purists here, that dial diminishes the value. Ask for RSC papers as proof, if possible.
Old 20 June 2013, 01:57 AM   #3
zxing
"TRF" Member

Do the service dials also say T<25?
Old 20 June 2013, 04:18 AM   #4
Beef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxing View Post
Do the service dials also say T<25?
Some early ones do. When Rolex stopped using tritium in the late '90's, they still had a lot of NOS T<25 dials. They either removed the tritium or they never had it applied (IDK which, someone here will) and had Luminova applied. People who had their watches serviced around the "turn of the century" received some of these until the stock was depleted. When you examine this watch, charge it under a bright light and then look at it in the dark to determine if its luminova. Of course, it could be a non RSC relume. But if so, its good. The 1016 on the left has one of these dials:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (111.8 KB, 240 views)
Old 20 June 2013, 01:05 PM   #5
high5
"TRF" Member

while the 1016 in general looks great, 36mm is considered to be small nowadays... size is the first thing come to mind when consider this model.
high5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2013, 01:14 PM   #6
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Don't worry about size. 36mm is perfectly fine. The bracelet is not original to the 1016. It would have come with a 7836
Old 20 June 2013, 05:05 PM   #7
zxing
"TRF" Member

So basically if the lume charges under light it is a replacement dial, and if it doesn't then most likely it is original?

And what about the case? Any way to tell if it is polished or not?
Old 20 June 2013, 08:41 PM   #8
joe100

Watch: Explorer
Definitely polished. I don't have good vibes about this one. I'm not a 1016 guy though. The dial and bracelet raise an eyebrow for me. It'd have to be cheap.
Old 20 June 2013, 10:59 PM   #9
Beef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxing View Post
So basically if the lume charges under light it is a replacement dial, and if it doesn't then most likely it is original?

And what about the case? Any way to tell if it is polished or not?
That's correct on lume. It depends on whether you want a functional dial or a pristine vintage piece. I have several vintages with Luminova dials, a 1016, a 1675, a 5513, a 1680 and a 1655. I sought these out for daily wear. This may motivate me to take some pics for the vintage Luminova thread.
Old 20 June 2013, 11:26 PM   #10
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
It depends if you're looking for a 1016 that has retained all its vintage qualities, or just a nice 1016 that might have been "restored." The dial/hands look too white to be original. (Although with photos/lighting, tough to know for sure.) In either case, I actually think the watch looks nice, despite the case polishing, and assuming it's all original Rolex and the price is right. (36mm is perfect for a vintage look, btw.) You could always sell that Sub bracelet and buy a correct bracelet. You'd probably make a little money on the bracelet swap, too. Good luck!
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2013, 12:06 AM   #11
Beef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
It depends if you're looking for a 1016 that has retained all its vintage qualities, or just a nice 1016 that might have been "restored." The dial/hands look too white to be original. (Although with photos/lighting, tough to know for sure.) In either case, I actually think the watch looks nice, despite the case polishing, and assuming it's all original Rolex and the price is right. (36mm is perfect for a vintage look, btw.) You could always sell that Sub bracelet and buy a correct bracelet. You'd probably make a little money on the bracelet swap, too. Good luck!
I totally agree!
Old 21 June 2013, 12:38 AM   #12
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
A great watch
But. Looks like a service dial & bracelet thats not original to the watch?
I would wonder if anything has been done to movement?

The price should reflect the lack of original parts, but i like the lugholes & the simple, clean & legible dial...as long as your wrists are not too big.
Old 21 June 2013, 04:35 AM   #13
Beef
"TRF" Member

What is the price, if you don't mind me asking? Also, what are you looking for in the watch? Vintage feel and looks with functionality? Or a pure, unaltered vintage watch for collection/investment? You have to decide that first. The Sub bracelet is more secure for daily, active wear than the original oyster clasp. As you know, all models since the 1016 have come with flip lock clasps for added security. Explorers are, after all, the original Rolex tool watches.
Old 21 June 2013, 04:44 AM   #14
77T

I tend to agree that the dial may have been retouched during a service. The hands also appear newer than the original ones would look today with age.

If you're looking for a decent daily wear vintage example, this one might be a good option.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote