The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Gallery (Non-Rolex)

Old 18 February 2010, 12:44 PM   #1
sys12345
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
New Arrival: Seiko SNZE93J1

I've been trying to get hold of the Seiko SRP043K1 (200m diver with the 4R15 movement) for months. As the overwhelming demand drove prices beyond what i'm willing to pay for one, i thought of getting the SKA427 Seiko Kinetic Diver instead. I almost pulled the trigger on one at a retail outlet. It was only a difference of S$10, yet i walked away from it. The truth of the matter is i'm not convinced that Seiko's kinetic technology is suitable for me. As i'll probably be wearing the watch for only a day or two before storing it away for a week or more, there may not be sufficient wrist time to charge the cell.

I started looking at other Seiko automatics, such as the Monster and the FrankenMonster. I'm not so fond of the scallop bezel on the Monster, neither are the ugly studs and plastic case protector of the FrankenMonster any more appealing. I almost thought of shelving the idea of getting a Seiko until i saw this one on Ebay. Its the Seiko SNZE93J1. The design is almost like a cross between a Monster and a FrankenMonster.

I like the design of this blue dial. Under reflection, the dial gives off a very nice blue colour in the middle. Its surrounded by a grey ring up to the edge. The white markers and hands makes a nice contrast, providing clear legibility for reading time. The white tipped second hand adds a nice touch.

This model is a little bigger than most other Seiko 5s. It has a case size of 44mm excluding crown, with a thickness of 13.5mm. The non screw-down crown is located at the 4 o'clock position, just like the FrankenMonster. The bezel turns unidirectionally with 120 clicks. The turns are smooth and positive, with hardly any free play. Unlike the divers, this watch is rated for only 100m of water resistance.

The watch comes with a display caseback, housing the Seiko 7S36, a non-winding and non-hacking automatic movement. This watch is made in Japan, with the J designation indicating Japan domestic distribution.

The watch comes with a 22mm Oyster style bracelet that is big enough to accomodate 8" wrists. Together with the micro adjustments, it should fit almost any wrist. The links are solid but the end-links are hollow. It has a brushed finishing for most parts except for the sides. A push button deployant clasp together with a flip lock secures the bracelet. The folding clasp does feel a little low quality. In addition, i would prefer to have solid end links instead but at such an affordable price, i'm probably nit picking.

Seiko's lumibrite is indeed impressive. Here's a lume shot of the watch. The watch is glowing even under indoor lighting. To get a really bright glow, all you need is to expose the watch to a few seconds of window lighting.

I only have time to snap these Q&D shots as i've just received the watch. I'll update on its accuracy later. At this moment, my initial impression of the watch is positive. Its pretty well made considering its price. It wears comfortably on the wrist and despite of the hollow end links, the watch case does not wobble. If you are looking for an affordable automatic that does not feel cheap nor lacking in quality, you should include this one on your shortlist.
Old 18 February 2010, 01:01 PM   #2
Safetrends
Banned

Watch: my hand. :)
Seiko is a great watch. That is a good looking watch.

I had them until I went to Rolex. Never looked back.
Safetrends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2010, 04:39 PM   #3
everose

Magnificent!!!!

Much more refined finish than Monster.....so its 100m....so what.....thats good enough for me!!

I love the blue dial.

Your photos are excellent!!!!!

It never ceases to amaze me what Seiko can achieve for the prices they charge!!!!!!

Even though i have some Rolex(soon hopefully other high end also),my enthusiasm and admiration for Seiko(and others) has never diminished.

Big Congrats!!!
everose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2010, 07:41 PM   #4
sys12345
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the comment! I must be a late bloomer, i have gone the other way around and this is my very first Seiko mechanical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safetrends View Post
Seiko is a great watch. That is a good looking watch.

I had them until I went to Rolex. Never looked back.
Old 18 February 2010, 07:46 PM   #5
sys12345
"TRF" Member

Yes, its amazing the kind of watch u can get for so little $$$. Seiko watches are pretty hardy, so they are ideal for use as a beater, a casual or even an everyday watch for work. If u ding or scratch it, i'm sure it wouldnt be as heart wrenching as damaging a Rolex. That said, there are some very fine models from the Grand Seiko collection that rivals a Rolex in fit and finsh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by everose View Post
Magnificent!!!!

Much more refined finish than Monster.....so its 100m....so what.....thats good enough for me!!

I love the blue dial.

Your photos are excellent!!!!!

It never ceases to amaze me what Seiko can achieve for the prices they charge!!!!!!

Even though i have some Rolex(soon hopefully other high end also),my enthusiasm and admiration for Seiko(and others) has never diminished.

Big Congrats!!!
Old 18 February 2010, 08:16 PM   #6
everose

Quote:
Originally Posted by sys12345 View Post
Yes, its amazing the kind of watch u can get for so little $$$. Seiko watches are pretty hardy, so they are ideal for use as a beater, a casual or even an everyday watch for work. If u ding or scratch it, i'm sure it wouldnt be as heart wrenching as damaging a Rolex. That said, there are some very fine models from the Grand Seiko collection that rivals a Rolex in fit and finsh.
Agreed......Alba$50---------Credor/Antana$6/7k.......and everything inbetween.Seiko have it covered,with such competence!!!

......I think Seiko is THE most remarkable watch company in the World!!!!!!....No one else can match this ability.

I hope those are not banning words!!!!!!

One may argue Swatch Group could rival this.......but that is not really valid as they have relied upon purchasing other watch cos in different segments.

everose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2010, 03:07 PM   #7
JimC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Excellent photos and congratulations on the new Seiko! I agree that the Seiko mechanicals perform very well for the price. I wasn't familiar with that one, and like the bezel much more than the Monster.

I have a SEIKO Prospex SBDC003 that I purchased from Mr. Seiya of Tokyo. I really like the rugged nature of the watch, the accuracy, and it serves well as a beater (although I really try to take care of it...) As with other Seiko divers the lume is excellent, too!

Wear it in good health!

16610 Sub (Z serial)
16710 GMT-Master II (Coke and Pepsi) (Z serial)
16570 Explorer II (White) (F serial)
116660 Deepsea (V serial)
79270 Tudor Tiger Chrono (red dial)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2010, 08:11 PM   #8
sys12345
"TRF" Member

The SEIKO Prospex SBDC003 is a nice watch, decent finishing and u get the proven hacking + hand wind 6R15 movement along with it. Hows the accuracy of your SBDC003?

I managed to snap a few more pics ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Excellent photos and congratulations on the new Seiko! I agree that the Seiko mechanicals perform very well for the price. I wasn't familiar with that one, and like the bezel much more than the Monster.

I have a SEIKO Prospex SBDC003 that I purchased from Mr. Seiya of Tokyo. I really like the rugged nature of the watch, the accuracy, and it serves well as a beater (although I really try to take care of it...) As with other Seiko divers the lume is excellent, too!

Wear it in good health!
Old 20 February 2010, 09:19 PM   #9
spuds
"TRF" Member

Watch: West Ham! COYI!!
Excellent!! Congratulations!!

(gotta get me a Seiko.......)

Life is not about how fast you can run or how high you can climb...........
It's about how well you can bounce!!

TRF HALL OF FAME JANUARY 2010
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2010, 04:52 PM   #10
JimC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The SEIKO Prospex SBDC003 is a nice watch, decent finishing and u get the proven hacking + hand wind 6R15 movement along with it. Hows the accuracy of your SBDC003?
I must have gotten a good one... The spec is +25/-15 seconds from the factory for the 6R15. Mine runs less than +5 per day... Hopefully it will hold up in the long run.

Love the additional photos! That is a keeper.

16610 Sub (Z serial)
Old 25 February 2010, 11:38 AM   #11
Bas and Lokes

Such a beautiful watch.
Bas and Lokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2010, 11:47 AM   #12
goduke1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 72' Rolex Air King
That is a nice looking watch! Great catch!
Old 25 February 2010, 11:59 AM   #13
sys12345
"TRF" Member

Thanks! I was expecting the watch to be running at +/-20 secs/day. It turns out to be running at an average of +9 secs/day. Not too shabby for such an affordable automatic IMO. It looks like the 7S36B movement is regulated for a better accuracy from the factory.
Old 28 February 2010, 05:02 PM   #14
JimC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks! I was expecting the watch to be running at +/-20 secs/day. It turns out to be running at an average of +9 secs/day. Not too shabby for such an affordable automatic IMO. It looks like the 7S36B movement is regulated for a better accuracy from the factory.
Excellent! Not bad at all, for sure.

16610 Sub (Z serial)
Old 13 April 2010, 11:01 PM   #15
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Now that's nice! I got really curious after reading up on Monsters and although they look and feel great in person, I didn't like the scalloped bezel as well.

Been looking for a blue dialed watch, thanks for posting! At least now I know I'm not confined to the Swiss anymore.
Old 14 April 2010, 10:16 AM   #16
sys12345
"TRF" Member

Indeed! There are a number of Seiko models (blue dial) that are pretty nice and very affordably priced as well. If u need one that rivals the better Swiss made time pieces, consider the Grand Seiko collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorsban View Post
Now that's nice! I got really curious after reading up on Monsters and although they look and feel great in person, I didn't like the scalloped bezel as well.

Been looking for a blue dialed watch, thanks for posting! At least now I know I'm not confined to the Swiss anymore.
Old 18 April 2010, 07:57 PM   #17
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Indeed! There are a number of Seiko models (blue dial) that are pretty nice and very affordably priced as well. If u need one that rivals the better Swiss made time pieces, consider the Grand Seiko collection.
You mean something like this?http://www.seiyajapan.com/product/S-...r-SBGA031.html

Beautiful but OMG look at the price tho. If it were half the price, I'd bite. I mean, that's Swiss Luxury territory.
Old 19 April 2010, 01:12 AM   #18
sys12345
"TRF" Member

Yes, thats a premium model from the Grand Seiko collection! As with any other high quality luxury piece, u have to pay the price for one. Here's another nice piece from the GS collection ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorsban View Post
You mean something like this?http://www.seiyajapan.com/product/S-...r-SBGA031.html

Beautiful but OMG look at the price tho. If it were half the price, I'd bite. I mean, that's Swiss Luxury territory.
Old 19 April 2010, 08:30 AM   #19
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Their Glide motion chrono is also pretty marvellous. For a line of watches, I'd definitely put them up there among the best for design, innovation. This one here is pretty nice as well and not so expensive: http://www.seiyajapan.com/product/S-...tail-Time.html

Been looking for a dress watch with a black strap. Being a dress watch, I wouldn't get to wear it so often so I definitely don't want to spend an arm and a leg for something I'll only use maybe 10-20% of the time. That watch fits the bill nicely.

Again, it's really great that we have a cheaper option that's durable and stylish - and I think nobody has a better price:performance ratio than Seiko, who also have a packed catalogue as well.
Old 21 September 2010, 10:15 PM   #20
L950i

Watch: 16220
Perfect Piece
L950i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2010, 04:45 PM   #21
chenhongjuan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post

I have a SEIKO Prospexed hardy SBDC003 that I purchased from Mr. Seiya of Tokyo. I really like the rugged nature of the watch, the accuracy, and it serves well as a beater (although I really try to take care of it...) As with other Seiko divers the lume is excellent, too!

Wear it in good health!

Hows the accuracy of your SBDC003?

I managed to snap a few more pics ...
chenhongjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2010, 07:31 PM   #22
rxonmymind
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex woot! woot!
I have a Seiko myself. The one you have is good looking watch.

Oscar Wilde
rxonmymind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2010, 12:21 AM   #23
vukotab
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing movies!
Congrats on that beauty! And on great pics, too!
I got the same model, and it`s best value for money BY FAR!
Here`s it`s twin!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seiko 5 Sports.jpg (90.5 KB, 278 views)
vukotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2010, 10:41 AM   #24
ess45
"TRF" Member

Here's mine in black.

ess45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2010, 08:03 AM   #25
petethepilot

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Awesome watch! i never knew Seiko made cool looking watches. :)
petethepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2011, 02:47 PM   #26
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Nice Seiko!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2011, 04:46 PM   #27
duckdown
"TRF" Member

Watch: d a t e j u s t 2
I am a Seiko fan as well! I own 2 :-)

What am I buying next? I want a solid 18k gold Rolex.
Got a great deal I should know about within my budget? Tell me!!
duckdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2011, 05:27 PM   #28
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Nice models.

My Diver kinetic is running at -4 seconds/month.

It is built like a battleship.

A days wear will give me about a 6 week charge.

The lume is bright and only beaten by my Seiko Black monster.

Price was $265 when I bought it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08109r.jpg (287.4 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08111r.jpg (229.4 KB, 149 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote