The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 August 2019, 05:43 AM   #1
Cooper33
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: New York
Posts: 151
A Triple 6....gone

Just wanted to drop a note about something that happened at work. Shows how us, watch enthusiasts and vintage collectors, have a totally different relationship with our watches than "other people".

So, I have this friend that sits on a different floor, I don't see him often but we have lunch together every now and then. He was given a triple 6 Sea Dweller from his grandfather when he was just a kid, with engraving on the caseback, really nice matching tritium dial, bezel and hands, never polished, never serviced....just amazing. I always said I would buy the watch knowing full well that he would never sell it. He is not a watch guy but he knows what he has.

I saw him this week and, as usual, took a look at his wrist. From the side, I realized that the watch was shining a bit more than usual, and wondered if he had it polished.

It turns out that the watch stopped a while ago so he decided to take it to RSC NY. They told him that they wouldn't service it without replacing all "old" parts. He initially pushed back but since RSC insisted that it was their policy, he had it serviced. Said that the thought only RSC could do the job/give a warranty.

I then took a closer look at it...new dial, hands, bezel, polish. As someone who is always looking for a triple 6 myself, it pained me to see it!

He wasn't really bothered by it, as he will never sell, and I also tried not to show a lot of reaction to what was done (while I was ).

Anyway, that's it. I wonder what RSC does with all of the parts that they replace. I'm sure they don't destroy it...there are too many replacement dials and hands on the secondary market, I wonder what happens....
Cooper33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 06:00 AM   #2
05carbondrz
2019 Pledge Member
 
05carbondrz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper33 View Post
Just wanted to drop a note about something that happened at work. Shows how us, watch enthusiasts and vintage collectors, have a totally different relationship with our watches than "other people".

So, I have this friend that sits on a different floor, I don't see him often but we have lunch together every now and then. He was given a triple 6 Sea Dweller from his grandfather when he was just a kid, with engraving on the caseback, really nice matching tritium dial, bezel and hands, never polished, never serviced....just amazing. I always said I would buy the watch knowing full well that he would never sell it. He is not a watch guy but he knows what he has.

I saw him this week and, as usual, took a look at his wrist. From the side, I realized that the watch was shining a bit more than usual, and wondered if he had it polished.

It turns out that the watch stopped a while ago so he decided to take it to RSC NY. They told him that they wouldn't service it without replacing all "old" parts. He initially pushed back but since RSC insisted that it was their policy, he had it serviced. Said that the thought only RSC could do the job/give a warranty.

I then took a closer look at it...new dial, hands, bezel, polish. As someone who is always looking for a triple 6 myself, it pained me to see it!

He wasn't really bothered by it, as he will never sell, and I also tried not to show a lot of reaction to what was done (while I was ).

Anyway, that's it. I wonder what RSC does with all of the parts that they replace. I'm sure they don't destroy it...there are too many replacement dials and hands on the secondary market, I wonder what happens....
They donít throw out the old Parts,Iím pretty sure Rolex is up on what these parts bring on the open Market.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 06:04 AM   #3
TheDude
"TRF" Member
 
TheDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: DC Area, USA
Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Posts: 3,953
Wonder if they took his date wheel! That would be the biggest travesty...

I lucked out and got this one for $4K back in 2010.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheDude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 06:14 AM   #4
Lucky Guy
2019 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Scotland
Watch: Daytona
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Wonder if they took his date wheel! That would be the biggest travesty...

I lucked out and got this one for $4K back in 2010.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfection


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lucky Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 06:17 AM   #5
Cooper33
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: New York
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Wonder if they took his date wheel! That would be the biggest travesty...

I lucked out and got this one for $4K back in 2010.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now I understand your handle here! ha!

I'm pretty sure that they replaced the date wheel as well..."why not, let's just totally gut this beauty"

The only part that they didn't replace was the engraved case back. When he told me that was actually my first question. Maybe that would be better - he would never replace the caseback and would have his all original watch today...
Cooper33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 09:30 AM   #6
77T
2019 HARRODS BB Pledge Member
 
77T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Real Name: PaulG
Location: Georgia
Posts: 29,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper33 View Post

I always said I would buy the watch knowing full well that he would never sell it. He is not a watch guy but he knows what he had.


Fixed that for ya...what he had was something special...

BTW, was he just negligent in routine overhauls? Canít understand all the parts you called out needing replacement.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________


Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 10:06 AM   #7
05carbondrz
2019 Pledge Member
 
05carbondrz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,993
Ouch!
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 10:48 AM   #8
1665fan
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: East coast
Posts: 1,313
Was it a matte 666? If so that would be an even bigger shame
1665fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 10:56 AM   #9
marcellomatt5
"TRF" Member
 
marcellomatt5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Real Name: Marcello
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Watch: 16610lv / 16610LN
Posts: 131
Matter of perspective... to him the watch now is perfecy than never.
marcellomatt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 10:56 AM   #10
Rebel
"TRF" Member
 
Rebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Real Name: Mark
Location: New Albany
Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Posts: 5,421
__________________
-------------------------------
Member of the Nylon Nation
Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 04:20 AM   #11
TheDude
"TRF" Member
 
TheDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: DC Area, USA
Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Posts: 3,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Fixed that for ya...what he had was something special...

BTW, was he just negligent in routine overhauls? Canít understand all the parts you called out needing replacement.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


The dials in the mid 80s were garbage - low point in the brand. You basically canít find one that doesnít have deterioration.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheDude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 05:18 AM   #12
Glosstritium
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: United states
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
The dials in the mid 80s were garbage - low point in the brand. You basically canít find one that doesnít have deterioration.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mines from 1984... Garbage?




[/QUOTE]
Glosstritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 07:12 AM   #13
TheDude
"TRF" Member
 
TheDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: DC Area, USA
Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Posts: 3,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glosstritium View Post
Mines from 1984... Garbage?









[/QUOTE]



Mine is from Ď84 too, and has plenty of dial deterioration that shouldnít be there. Itís nigh impossible to find sports watches of that era with clean dials. Donít take my word for it, itís easy to find the same opinion here about 80s dials.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheDude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 12:06 AM   #14
Cooper33
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: New York
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Was it a matte 666? If so that would be an even bigger shame
No, it was the glossy one, but is had no "spider" BS, so it was pretty clean. Great light yellow patina, hands with just a bit of corrosion, but no different from any other tritium set from the 80's.

If I were the SA at RSC I would just ask him to think twice about it, and to search for other alternatives in case he wanted to keep the watch in original condition. He felt kinda luck between a rock and a hard place and eventually gave in...
Cooper33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 01:11 AM   #15
TheDude
"TRF" Member
 
TheDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: DC Area, USA
Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Posts: 3,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper33 View Post
No, it was the glossy one, but is had no "spider" BS, so it was pretty clean. Great light yellow patina, hands with just a bit of corrosion, but no different from any other tritium set from the 80's.



If I were the SA at RSC I would just ask him to think twice about it, and to search for other alternatives in case he wanted to keep the watch in original condition. He felt kinda luck between a rock and a hard place and eventually gave in...


Yeah, my vintages only go to the Ridleys...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheDude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 11:54 AM   #16
zapokee
"TRF" Member
 
zapokee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Japan
Posts: 1,752
Rolex intends to return watches to their original condition at service, and that's logical from a certain point of view.

I get that they have no business in the vintage market, but it's a real disservice to destroy so much value when the client isn't aware of what the watch will be worth before and after service. They should at least discuss this with customers ahead of making major replacements.

People who don't know any better are losing thousands, or tens of thousands, of dollars in value at RSC service.
__________________
Instagram: zapokee
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 03:01 AM   #17
NOPDK
2019 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: South Florida
Posts: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
The dials in the mid 80s were garbage - low point in the brand. You basically can’t find one that doesn’t have deterioration.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

umm, really? Feel pretty comfortable with dial on mine. Case is pristine and untouched as well.

Serviced by Ridley. Crying shame what RSC does to vintage pieces. Not only do they not support them by providing wear parts but they actively destroy them when they get their hands on them. They could make a nice profit providing crystals and crowns and bezel rings and such. Instead I have to buy parts when I find them and hoard them until I might eventually need them in the future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6753.jpg (278.0 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_4901.jpeg (72.7 KB, 247 views)
NOPDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 04:00 AM   #18
Ssunnylee24
"TRF" Member
 
Ssunnylee24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Socal
Watch: TudoRolex
Posts: 417
The watch was sold when he let them service the watch with all new parts.
Ssunnylee24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 04:05 AM   #19
fsprow
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Earth
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcellomatt5 View Post
Matter of perspective... to him the watch now is perfecy than never.
And since he is the owner, I believe that is all that matters.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 12:19 PM   #20
zapokee
"TRF" Member
 
zapokee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Japan
Posts: 1,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
And since he is the owner, I believe that is all that matters.
Until he either wants to sell it (which he currently doesn't) or the next generation inherits it. That's when the loss of value will matter.
__________________
Instagram: zapokee
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 08:30 PM   #21
NOPDK
2019 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: South Florida
Posts: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
And since he is the owner, I believe that is all that matters.
It matters. May not matter to him but it matters.
NOPDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 09:27 PM   #22
fsprow
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Earth
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOPDK View Post
It matters. May not matter to him but it matters.
Strange concept of ownership. Weíre not talking about being entrusted with caring for a priceless piece of historical art and I guess he should maintain his auto at a high standard to preserve it for the next owner.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 09:42 PM   #23
NOPDK
2019 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: South Florida
Posts: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
Strange concept of ownership. Weíre not talking about being entrusted with caring for a priceless piece of historical art and I guess he should maintain his auto at a high standard to preserve it for the next owner.

The analogy you are looking for is taking a vintage 911, pulling out the flat 6 and installing a Ford Ecoboost V6. If that concept isn't abhorrent to you then there are plenty of 4 digit Rolex with luminova service dials out there waiting for you to purchase.

If you are passed along a family heirloom it's your job to preserve and conserve it for the next generation. You "own" a Casio, Grandfathers watch is something you conserve. At least that is how I view it.
NOPDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 11:33 PM   #24
zapokee
"TRF" Member
 
zapokee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Japan
Posts: 1,752
If you bought a fine old work of art and had it restored beyond recognition, you might still enjoy it in your collection, but you would have significantly impaired its value as far as the market is concerned.

The Mona Lisa might also look pretty cool with neon laser eyes and luminous hair.
__________________
Instagram: zapokee
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 01:45 AM   #25
Cooper33
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: New York
Posts: 151
I think its one of those cases where he is so sure that he (of future generations) will never it, that he doesn't really care as much as we do. He has a lot of money in the family, so I guess they won't part with it unless really necessary. But such a shame...

This is his only watch, so he really uses it everyday since his grandad gave it to him 25 years ago...
Cooper33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 07:16 AM   #26
TheDude
"TRF" Member
 
TheDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: DC Area, USA
Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Posts: 3,953
A Triple 6....gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOPDK View Post
umm, really? Feel pretty comfortable with dial on mine. Case is pristine and untouched as well.

Serviced by Ridley. Crying shame what RSC does to vintage pieces. Not only do they not support them by providing wear parts but they actively destroy them when they get their hands on them. They could make a nice profit providing crystals and crowns and bezel rings and such. Instead I have to buy parts when I find them and hoard them until I might eventually need them in the future.


The matte dials didnít have the issues to which Iím referring. Those mainly were well before mid-80s anyway (some probably hit as late as Ď84).

I didnít make a point of highlighting the ďgloss onlyĒ distinction because the subject of this thread has been gloss...


Beautiful watch!! - Amazing example!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheDude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 08:07 AM   #27
NOPDK
2019 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: South Florida
Posts: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
The matte dials didnít have the issues to which Iím referring. Those mainly were well before mid-80s anyway (some probably hit as late as Ď84).

I didnít make a point of highlighting the ďgloss onlyĒ distinction because the subject of this thread has been gloss...


Beautiful watch!! - Amazing example!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. Your point is well taken. Was too busy being annoyed by another vintage piece being defiled by swap to luminova. Can't express how much that bothers me. My hope is that the owner of the watch just enjoys it and never realizes what he agreed to. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

BTW mine is an 81.
NOPDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


*Banner Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2019, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.