The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 1 August 2019, 01:21 AM   #1
Texans93
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 43
New Speedmaster Fit

Pardon me if this has been discussed in another post, I did search but with no luck. Have any of you had a problem with acquiring the proper fit with the Speedmaster? I am waiting on delivery of a 311.30.42.30.01.005 later this week. With only two micro adjustments on the bracelet, I was curious if finding the "sweet spot" has been a challenge. I've already reached out to an Omega Boutique about installing the adjustable clasp and they can do it for ~$200. Just curious if this has been any issue for many. I love the glidelock on my 114060, I don't use it often but the option is great to have.

Thanks in advance..

Tim
Texans93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2019, 02:54 AM   #2
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
I think you should be OK dialing in a good fit. My Aqua Terra has zero adjustment in the clasp. While I would like to be able to expand it or contract it sometimes, for the most part it's a very comfortable watch.

IMO, The Glidelock is the one of the greatest clasps out there.

Post some pictures once your Speedmaster comes in
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2019, 02:58 AM   #3
Syed117
"TRF" Member

I installed the adjustable clasp on my Speedmaster and I love it.

I believe it has 6 adjustments and it is easier to use than the glidelock. It's a fantastic upgrade and something I recommend to anyone with a Speedmaster.

Thread below

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...edmaster+clasp
Old 1 August 2019, 04:29 AM   #4
Texans93
"TRF" Member

Thanks! Will do...
Old 1 August 2019, 08:39 AM   #5
ud101
Banned

An Omega Boutique have assured you that with $200 you could fix it, I would advice you carry on with the purchase.
ud101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2019, 12:57 PM   #6
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I also added the clasp mentioned by Syed. The fit was never perfect with the standard clasp, the adjustable makes it perfect. Try it first without but for around $200 it is a very worthy addition.
(PS: the tech at my local Boutique was off the day my parts came in, the manager himself installed it for me. I love the way Omega Boutiques treat their customers.)
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2019, 02:23 PM   #7
mac_135
"TRF" Member

I had an issue getting the right fit on the Speedmaster. Luckily, I had found an AD who was willing to size it BEFORE I bought. I ended up purchasing the watch on the black leather strap and couldn't be happier. This is a 100% strap watch for me personally, as I find bracelets from other brands falling short compared to my Rolex models. Last time I checked, half links are not available for the Speedmaster, but I may be wrong on that.
mac_135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2019, 11:53 PM   #8
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_135 View Post
I had an issue getting the right fit on the Speedmaster. Luckily, I had found an AD who was willing to size it BEFORE I bought. I ended up purchasing the watch on the black leather strap and couldn't be happier. This is a 100% strap watch for me personally, as I find bracelets from other brands falling short compared to my Rolex models. Last time I checked, half links are not available for the Speedmaster, but I may be wrong on that.
You don't need half links when you have a clasp with 6 adjustment slots.

It should really be standard on the Speedmaster.
Old 2 August 2019, 12:41 AM   #9
Texans93
"TRF" Member

Thank y'all for your help!
Old 2 August 2019, 02:06 AM   #10
JP(Canada)
"TRF" Member

I can only speak for myself, but my experience of owning 20 or so Speedmasters of varying vintages over the years, is that the current screw link bracelet is the worst one for me to find the right fit. Something, that would be easily addressed, had they made a half link available, or, alternatively, if I just lost 7 and 3/4 pounds...dammit...

Adjustable clasp will solve your problem. I haven't done it, because I prefer less bulk and weight, so I wear the watch a bit loose on the wrist when I have the bracelet on.

Good luck.
Old 3 August 2019, 02:52 PM   #11
mac_135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
You don't need half links when you have a clasp with 6 adjustment slots.

It should really be standard on the Speedmaster.
For sure, it's just slightly ridiculous that there is a need to modify a $6000 watch, regardless of how timeless and true to the original it is. This was a huge factor in choosing a Submariner 114060 for my first "real" watch, perfect fit is pretty much guaranteed. What would we do without the wealth of information on this forum!!

mac_135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2019, 08:04 PM   #12
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I could never get a good fit, so haven’t worn the bracelet since I bought it. Have had fun with different straps though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 01:54 AM   #13
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
I have had two of them and never could find the sweet spot, I usually wore on straps. I have a third one incoming(hopefully a keeper) and I am not taking any chances. I just ordered the described clasp and endlinks from my Omega boutique to put on the new one. Hopefully, this makes the bracelet comfortable enough to keep on it. Nothing will be as comfortable as a Rolex Oyster with easy link though.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2019, 11:01 PM   #14
Texans93
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the help and suggestions! The watch will deliver today and I'll have the adjustable clasp put on this weekend at the OB. Until then it'll be on the nato strap and I'm looking forward to all the strap options. I'll post pictures soon.
Thanks again!
Old 6 August 2019, 01:54 AM   #15
Texans93
"TRF" Member

Just delivered, quite impressive! First Omega and probably not the last considering the current Rolex situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6 August 2019, 05:26 AM   #16
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Same problem here. Just got my bracelet sized. Sure enough went from clearly loose to just a touch too tight removing one link. I don't know why they went with two micro adjustments instead of three. One more would have prevented all these issues.

Since I will keep it on straps most of the year I'm not going to bother with the adjustable clasp
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2019, 02:39 AM   #17
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
My Speedy has the previous bracelet with the push pins. I sourced a half-link from a Seamaster and it has been perfect ever since.
Old 13 August 2019, 01:06 AM   #18
Texans93
"TRF" Member

Update

I had the adjustable clasp installed at the OB in San Antonio this weekend. Great bunch of guys and very easy to work with.
The clasp made all the difference for me. I'd been looking at strap options but now it may stay on the bracelet for a while. Thanks for all of your help and input...
Old 18 August 2019, 12:27 AM   #19
Fredcohiba
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 126334
I bought the clasp and end links from the Omega service facility in Miami and had my local jeweler/watch afficianodo install it on my SMP. Awesome fit and function.
Fredcohiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 05:47 AM   #20
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
How much is a third half link? I don’t want to spend $200 on an adjustable clasp that should have been standard. Mine is ether too tight or too loose, can’t get a good fit at all.
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 09:11 AM   #21
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans93 View Post
I had the adjustable clasp installed at the OB in San Antonio this weekend. Great bunch of guys and very easy to work with.
The clasp made all the difference for me. I'd been looking at strap options but now it may stay on the bracelet for a while. Thanks for all of your help and input...
Would you be willing to share your thoughts on the Speedy vs the Sub, particularly with regard to fit/comfort and legibility?

I own a 114060 and have pretty much decided on a new Speedy, but was hoping it would feel a little less precious on the wrist than the SubC if that makes any sense...

Thank you in advance!
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 09:38 AM   #22
Texans93
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Crazy Lugs;9906921]Would you be willing to share your thoughts on the Speedy vs the Sub, particularly with regard to fit/comfort and legibility?

I own a 114060 and have pretty much decided on a new Speedy, but was hoping it would feel a little less precious on the wrist than the SubC if that makes any sense...

Thank you in advance![/

Both are icons in their own way.

Comfort-Glide lock can’t be beat, but with the adjustable clasp installed on the Speedy the fit is great. I’m looking forward to all the strap options with the Speedy.

Legibility-they’re both easy on the eyes, but something about the Speedy that gives it the edge. I’ve got the hesalite version and it’s just stunning to me.

Less precious-Yes, I understand what you’re asking. To be honest my Rolex has only been noticed and commented on a few times. I don’t think people pay attention to watches unless they’re a “watch guy”. The Speedy feels just as precious as the Sub, to me anyway.

If you can, own both and enjoy them equally. The Speedy is the new “toy” so I wear it constantly. I’ll report back in 6 months once the new wears off. Hope this answers your questions and didn’t make the decision harder. Good luck! Let me know if I can help...

Old 18 August 2019, 11:22 AM   #23
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Texans93;9906978]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Lugs View Post
Would you be willing to share your thoughts on the Speedy vs the Sub, particularly with regard to fit/comfort and legibility?

Thank you in advance![/

Both are icons in their own way.

Comfort-Glide lock can’t be beat, but with the adjustable clasp installed on the Speedy the fit is great. I’m looking forward to all the strap options with the Speedy.

Legibility-they’re both easy on the eyes, but something about the Speedy that gives it the edge. I’ve got the hesalite version and it’s just stunning to me.

Less precious-Yes, I understand what you’re asking. To be honest my Rolex has only been noticed and commented on a few times. I don’t think people pay attention to watches unless they’re a “watch guy”. The Speedy feels just as precious as the Sub, to me anyway.

If you can, own both and enjoy them equally. The Speedy is the new “toy” so I wear it constantly. I’ll report back in 6 months once the new wears off. Hope this answers your questions and didn’t make the decision harder. Good luck! Let me know if I can help...

Awesome! Thanks so much. I’m sold on the hesalite version, so that’s good to hear. I feel like the Speedy will be a great complement to the sub, and look forward to experiencing it on the wrist soon!

Thanks again- much appreciated.
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 11:33 AM   #24
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_135 View Post
For sure, it's just slightly ridiculous that there is a need to modify a $6000 watch, regardless of how timeless and true to the original it is. This was a huge factor in choosing a Submariner 114060 for my first "real" watch, perfect fit is pretty much guaranteed. What would we do without the wealth of information on this forum!!

You chose a dive watch. Comparing the sub vs the speedmaster isn’t really a fair comparison. They are so different. The speedmaster isn’t a dive watch, people are putting seamaster clasps on them. There is really no reason for omega to put 6 adjustments on a speedmaster standard , that’s close to 3 full links on a watch that’s not waterproof/resistant.

You could easily get away with the smaller version of the clasp with 3 adjustments or about a link and a half. That should be standard.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 10:24 PM   #25
karmatp
"TRF" Member

I guess I am lucky because I always get the perfect fit with speedy pros.