The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 August 2019, 01:12 AM   #1
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Speedmaster bracelet

Hello

I'm sure that the bracelets fitted to Speedmasters about ten years ago used to be joined together with pins and not screws. The new ones are screwed together. Does anyone know when the screw bracelets were introduced?

Further to this.

I'm starting to wonder if there was an actual across the board date of introduction? Some models appear to have the screw bracelet whilst others were still fitted with the older pin type bracelet. My meteorite version has the pins, but the Apollo 11 40th anniversary version of the same vintage has the screw version.

Thanks

Last edited by ratty; 24 August 2019 at 01:38 AM.. Reason: Further info added.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 06:29 AM   #2
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
Hello

I'm sure that the bracelets fitted to Speedmasters about ten years ago used to be joined together with pins and not screws. The new ones are screwed together. Does anyone know when the screw bracelets were introduced?

Further to this.

I'm starting to wonder if there was an actual across the board date of introduction? Some models appear to have the screw bracelet whilst others were still fitted with the older pin type bracelet. My meteorite version has the pins, but the Apollo 11 40th anniversary version of the same vintage has the screw version.

Thanks

Idk brother, maybe Alexa knows?
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 06:38 AM   #3
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
Hello

Further to this.

Thanks
I believe it was 2014 when the current presentation box was introduced.
Old 4 September 2019, 10:03 AM   #4
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Just a point of clarification, in case this matters: both bracelets actually use pins, with the older style pins held in place by friction, and the newer pins held in place by threaded caps at in the sides of the links. Those threaded caps are a real pain in the @$$ to handle, by the way. Both bracelets also have removable bearing sleeves that slide into the center link and through which the pin is inserted. The newer bracelet does not use screws that span the width of the bracelet in place of pins, like Rolex does.

Sizing the old bracelet means using a tool to press the friction-fit pin out in order to separate the links, and then making sure the bearing sleeve is inserted properly before pressing the friction-fit pin into place in order to join the links. Pretty simple.

Sizing the new bracelet means soaking it in hot water to soften the loc-tite holding the little threaded caps in place, using a screwdriver of a very specific size and shape to loosen the very tightly secured threaded caps on both sides of the link, and then finally pressing the pin out in order to separate the links. With a little luck, you might remove the threaded cap from one side of the link and see if the pin will fall out without being pressed out from one side. Joining the links requires making sure the bearing sleeve is properly inserted, then sliding the pin into place, then applying new loc-tite to the tiny threaded caps, and then finally screwing them into place on either side of the link (you'll want tweezers for this).

my opinion: the old, friction-fit system was easier.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2019, 09:57 PM   #5
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
Just a point of clarification, in case this matters: both bracelets actually use pins, with the older style pins held in place by friction, and the newer pins held in place by threaded caps at in the sides of the links. Those threaded caps are a real pain in the @$$ to handle, by the way. Both bracelets also have removable bearing sleeves that slide into the center link and through which the pin is inserted. The newer bracelet does not use screws that span the width of the bracelet in place of pins, like Rolex does.

Sizing the old bracelet means using a tool to press the friction-fit pin out in order to separate the links, and then making sure the bearing sleeve is inserted properly before pressing the friction-fit pin into place in order to join the links. Pretty simple.

Sizing the new bracelet means soaking it in hot water to soften the loc-tite holding the little threaded caps in place, using a screwdriver of a very specific size and shape to loosen the very tightly secured threaded caps on both sides of the link, and then finally pressing the pin out in order to separate the links. With a little luck, you might remove the threaded cap from one side of the link and see if the pin will fall out without being pressed out from one side. Joining the links requires making sure the bearing sleeve is properly inserted, then sliding the pin into place, then applying new loc-tite to the tiny threaded caps, and then finally screwing them into place on either side of the link (you'll want tweezers for this).

Hence why I paid my watchmaker $10 bucks to do the job. I will pay someone to do anything more to an Omega bracelet than swap it off a watch.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 02:48 AM   #6
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post

Thanks very much for this answer, I had no idea things were / are so complicated. I had just assumed that it was a long screw.

Thanks again.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 02:51 AM   #7
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Like the look of the new screw bracelet better but I also had to pay my watchmaker to size my bracelet after striping some of the screws doing it myself.
Old 14 September 2019, 03:08 AM   #8
Kamen
"TRF" Member

Because of this info I just ordered the 1998 bracelet instead. Should receive it soon.
Kamen is offline   Reply With Quote