The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 4 June 2009, 12:23 PM   #1
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Omega SMP
Seamaster vs. Speedmaster for an everyday wearer ??

Good day all, I did a quick search, and this question never came up (that or I overlooked it lol). Anyway, in the recent future, I plan on adding another Omega to my stable. I already have the Seamaster 2531.80 bond watch, and absolutely love it. However, I don't want to put heavy wrist time on that watch, and want to buy another one for a daily "beater". It would be on my wrist 23 hours of the day, 7 days a week. I work in the retail industry, so the watch will not be "desk diving", but it won't be getting all beat to crap everyday of the week ether. I always go to the beach at least 5 times in the year, and love to swim (I NEVER dive). I guess that's about it. I LOVE the Planet Ocean 45.5mm 600M dive watch, but I also like the Speedmaster moon watch. Not so much because of the style of the watch (even though it too looks good) but becusae of the history behind it, the manual wind, non-sapphire Chrystal, etc.
So, I don't know, for a daily watch that can handle it in the field everyday, which would you choose ???
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2009, 12:50 PM   #2
blackmsport
Banned

I have a Speedmaster for weekend and daily beater is a $69 Casio watch

Speedmaster is like a Datejust... the shape has been around for decades & classic

and seamaster is sportier and modern ....

Happy to have both can only afford to own one
blackmsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2009, 08:27 PM   #3
jmsrolls
Banned

If the Speedy Pro is robust enough for space flight and EVA, it can handle daily wear without a doubt. The only reservation is its WR which is limited to 50 meters but I know several who swim with theirs.

IMO, the Speedy is a must have for any serious watch collection. It is a classic and no other watch can come close to its story. Style wise, the Speedy can dress up or down, suit or jeans, without difficulty.

On the other hand, the PO is a great watch but I find the case too thick for me to wear comfortably. I would love to have a PO but I would never give up my Speedy.

Whatever your decision, you need to contact my AD before you buy. His product knowledge, inventory, customer service, and prices are unequaled.

Fr. John†
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2009, 12:43 AM   #4
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Fr John is spot on!
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2009, 01:09 AM   #5
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

I had my speedy (albeit reduced) as a daily wearer..but I tend to keep it out of the pool/diving despite 50M waterproof...
last time I checked...the didn't find water on the moon...
Old 5 June 2009, 07:09 AM   #6
teacard

Watch: PO45,GMTc,Flighty
I have to agree with Fr John,

the WR of the speedy would be the clincher for me, especially with the frequency of your immersions!

''Water resistance is tested in still or static conditions. So, if you dive into a pool wearing a watch which is 50 metres water resistant, the pressure impacted upon the watch on hitting the water will be far greater than that experienced at a 50 metre static test. As a result, the number of metres shown on a watch face does not indicate the depth that the watch can be taken to.''

(quoted UK web site).

I also understand that warranty claims relating to water damage are very,very difficult to pursue.

PS - here in Somerset, theres no point wearing a watch in the sea - you could not read a dial in 6 inches of sea water and the muck will probably corrode the case!
teacard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2009, 04:49 PM   #7
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Good day all, I did a quick search, and this question never came up (that or I overlooked it lol). Anyway, in the recent future, I plan on adding another Omega to my stable. I already have the Seamaster 2531.80 bond watch, and absolutely love it. However, I don't want to put heavy wrist time on that watch, and want to buy another one for a daily "beater". It would be on my wrist 23 hours of the day, 7 days a week. I work in the retail industry, so the watch will not be "desk diving", but it won't be getting all beat to crap everyday of the week ether. I always go to the beach at least 5 times in the year, and love to swim (I NEVER dive). I guess that's about it. I LOVE the Planet Ocean 45.5mm 600M dive watch, but I also like the Speedmaster moon watch. Not so much because of the style of the watch (even though it too looks good) but becusae of the history behind it, the manual wind, non-sapphire Chrystal, etc.
So, I don't know, for a daily watch that can handle it in the field everyday, which would you choose ???

I have both and wear the SMP 5 x more than moon....that plastic scratches easy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (50.5 KB, 568 views)
File Type: jpg moon.jpg (18.0 KB, 565 views)
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2009, 09:51 AM   #8
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I would not worry about the history (although that's nice). Get the one that you love the most. Go try them on and see which one smiles back. The Speedie has the history but the PO is stunning to look at. I think the best advice I can give is try before you buy.

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2009, 11:59 AM   #9
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I agree that if you're an Omega fan, no watchbox should be without a Speedy Pro...

but, if you're an active, frequent swimmer... I would opt for something else.....

As a side note though, I don't understand why you would not want to use the Bond and want a Speedy for a beater.. To my mind, it should be the other way around, and since the Bond is the biggest selling Omega ever, it is unlikely to see future value like the Speedy may.
Old 6 June 2009, 01:42 PM   #10
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Omega SMP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
I agree that if you're an Omega fan, no watchbox should be without a Speedy Pro...

but, if you're an active, frequent swimmer... I would opt for something else.....

As a side note though, I don't understand why you would not want to use the Bond and want a Speedy for a beater.. To my mind, it should be the other way around, and since the Bond is the biggest selling Omega ever, it is unlikely to see future value like the Speedy may.
I don't know, to me the Bond watch was my first major watch purchace. That, and it's still 95% in new condition, and I'd like to keep it that way by having as little wrist time as possible (only wear it on special occasions, etc.). I don't know, maybe I'm just weird lol. I know if I do wear my SMP daily, and it does get a little beat up, I could just have it serviced, and it will come back looking like new anyway, so I don't know what my problem is lol
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2009, 07:03 AM   #11
14060man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
The Planet Ocean is quite thick, heavy and has an awkward center of balance. It seems more "heft for hefts sake." The white gold hour surrounds tend to "beautify" the watch and give the overall masculine appearance an unwanted effeminate undertow. The co-axial movement is a silly marketing differentiator (used to justify $1000 price hikes to give the brand a more exclusive market image) but with unproven maintenance benefits.

In contrast, the Speedmaster is a classic legendary design that is well balanced on the wrist and not excessively flabby like the Planet Ocean. The Speedmaster is by far the superior of the two watches. The movement is tried and true. The design is classic. Wear it in the boardroom or to the ballpark. Plus it kicked Rolex's ass and was selected to go to the moon. :)

If you are looking to swim with a watch, I'd recommend a cheap digital.
14060man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2009, 10:43 AM   #12
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
I am using this one as my daily wearer. I love the Speedies!!

Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2009, 01:10 PM   #13
WJGESQ
Banned

May have asked before, but do not recall getting an answer. Who is this AD?
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2009, 12:17 AM   #14
jmsrolls
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post
May have asked before, but do not recall getting an answer. Who is this AD?
Check for a PM from me.

Fr. John†
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote