The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 2 May 2010, 09:07 AM   #1
majicauction

Trying again - real or fake? Your opinions please

I'm not a Rolex or even watch collector so looking for help. Theres story behind it but for now I just want to post the pics and see what you guys think. If you can identify it even better! Then if you want the backround I'll give it and the reasons I think it may be real as well as reasons I think it may be fake. Here we go:

Thanks for your help!
majicauction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2010, 09:08 AM   #2
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Definitely a fake, and a bad one at that, I'm afraid
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2010, 09:13 AM   #3
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If you have questions like these, post them in the Watchout section...

Folks there live for this!

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!
TimeToGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2010, 09:54 AM   #4
majicauction

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGo View Post
If you have questions like these, post them in the Watchout section...

Folks there live for this!

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!
ummmmm ok except I didn't know and was looking for information, would think 'watch out' was for warning people about ones you know are fake?
Old 2 May 2010, 09:58 AM   #5
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513s
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
Definitely a fake, and a bad one at that, I'm afraid
I would agree with Chris I am afraid.
mcjp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2010, 10:00 AM   #6
Safetrends
Banned

Watch: my hand. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjp6 View Post
I would agree with Chris I am afraid.
X3 Poor copy.
Safetrends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2010, 10:03 AM   #7
t e x
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
bad fake...
t e x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2010, 10:05 AM   #8
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Sorry, I probably should have elaborated on my original post: these are my reasonings behind why it is fake

1) It claims to be an Oysterquartz. That certainly isn't an Oysterquartz case, as it doesn't have an integrated bracelet, and it isn't one of the Beta 21 Quartz models either. There never was an Oysterquartz Date, only Datejust and Day-Date. You can read up on them here

2) The bracelet appears to be a poor attempt to imitate a president bracelet. The real deal looks nothing like that, the centre links are way out.

3) Dial fonts appear to be of poor printing quality, and certainly not up to Rolex standards

4) Date magnification on the Cyclops and date font are both wrong

5) Hands are too short

6) No "T Swiss T" as there should be on a model of this age

7) Crown is way off

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Chris
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2010, 10:06 AM   #9
Big B

Watch: Rolex 116610
VERY BAD FAKE!!!!
Bezel is fake, band center link is too small, diamonds on dial look poor quality, winding crown looks too large, etc, etc.
Look at the inside of the clasp and see if you find a stamp that says "Italy" on it.
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2010, 10:09 AM   #10
chris russell
Banned

Watch: your mouth.
Here's a hint: If you have to ask, it's a fake.

This one's horrifically bad. Everything is wrong with it. Sorry, hope you did not buy it.
chris russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2010, 10:16 AM   #11
majicauction

I appreciate your opinions, as said i know nothing about this, was in an estate auction box of jewelry and such. My first thought was no box, no papers, surely a fake but then I thought about how wealthy this estate was and the fact they might have real rolexes. There were some other real nice pieces in the lot. so thinking I was smart because I knew serials were between the lugs I checked and no serial which sinched it for me for awhile. a couple antique guys (not watch guys) looked at it and told me they thought it was real which got me wondering again and searching online where I found out that the oysterquartzs didn't have the serial there, still dont know where it is, LOL

There is also a place inside the lugs that is scratched and smeared where the model number should be I think, that made me think it could be stolen. Was wanting to find where the serial would be so I could find that out as well. Guess no need now but curiosity makes me ask if it was real where would the serial be? Also wondering if there was a watch like this for real because I could never pin it down. Obviously an oysterquartz, but then it says date, not date/day and not date just. Only ones I've found online with just date are very obviously mens watches, this to me looks like a ladies. Am I right in thinking that? I do enjoy learning this stuff and who knows maybe down the road I'll see a real one in one of the estates and I'll know it is!

It does make me wonder if someone running the auction tossed it in there hoping to up the price, maybe thinking the lot wouldn't sell by the other stuff there. I just cant see that estate having fakes but maybe they got fooled too. No worries though, jokes on them if they did. There was lots of old silver jewelry like the pendent/lockett from the 1800's so I made over twice what I paid and the rest can be flea market fodder. Dont worry you wont see this one on ebay :-)

One question - Can I get in trouble if I sell it at the flea market marked as being a replica?? I'm thinking yes? I may just see if I can pop it open and see what it looks like inside for s***s & giggles. You guys want pics if I can?
Old 2 May 2010, 10:17 AM   #12
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicauction View Post
You guys want pics if I can?
No...
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2010, 10:22 AM   #13
majicauction

GMT master, thanks for elaborating! I was writing while you were posting so you got some of my questions already, sorry about that. The things I understand of what you said make sense and a couple were things I'd wondered about, like not saying swiss made.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to educate me :) I'll come back if/when I ever find something good (and real)
Old 2 May 2010, 10:23 AM   #14
majicauction

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopJr View Post
No...
ok, sorry, didnt mean to insult. Thought it might be helpful for either education or just for laughs. I'll bow out now.

Again thanks to all
Old 2 May 2010, 10:24 AM   #15
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513s
Quote:
One question - Can I get in trouble if I sell it at the flea market marked as being a replica?? I'm thinking yes? I may just see if I can pop it open and see what it looks like inside for s***s & giggles. You guys want pics if I can?
Selling counterfeit watches is illegal no matter how it is marked.
mcjp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2010, 10:28 AM   #16
majicauction

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjp6 View Post
Selling counterfeit watches is illegal no matter how it is marked.
figured, well the 20bucks i'd get isnt worth jailtime so I'll just have fun with it
Old 2 May 2010, 10:39 AM   #17
Mockingbird
"TRF" Member

Crown is too big, why is there a presidential bracelet on it? (and a poor fake one at that), the magnification/date font are wrong, and it's in the wrong case.

Proclamation: fake
Mockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2010, 10:40 AM   #18
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
Quote:
ok, sorry, didnt mean to insult. Thought it might be helpful for either education or just for laughs. I'll bow out now.

Again thanks to all
No insult taken.
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2010, 10:47 AM   #19
majicauction

Good, I know sometimes ignorence can really get to collectors/enthusiasts. I have many collections of my own just not on the same scale as Rolexs :) It is frustrating when people who know nothing ask dumb questions so I do apologize. If it makes anyone feel better I would like to hang around and maybe learn a bit. I know I'll never be in a position to buy a Rolex of my own but never hurts to be well informed!
Old 2 May 2010, 10:54 AM   #20
Tunacan26
Banned

Watch: Hulk, DJ, Bluesy
Why can't he sell it as a "replica" or fake? Such watches are all over the web. Someone pays 20 bucks for a watch he KNOWS is a fake, who is harmed?
Tunacan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2010, 11:12 AM   #21
t e x
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Again thanks to all
Why bow out? there's a plethora of knowledge to be shared with all on this forum as you've surely gathered.

I personally have desired to own a rolex since forever lol. But this did not stop me from reading and viewing pic's over the years. I have actually lurked on this site for a long time and perhaps as far back when this site was rather new. Of course, I would lurk on this site amongst others for periods lastings up to three weeks at a time because, for me, not having a rolex and reading about them...well lets say, it's hard lol.

Only when I knew my time was approaching to realize a dream of mine, did I fianally become a member of the community to start asking questions and making other post. Happy searching and don't sell that watch as it is a no-no.
Old 2 May 2010, 11:24 AM   #22
majicauction

Tunacan, just guessing from what i know of other collectibles, fakes are all over but it doesnt make it legal. As for whose harmed, no one if I could be sure the person buying it was only buying it for fun and would never resell but what if someone buys it for $20 knowing its a fake, gets a box for it and tosses it on ebay. Might fool someone and I don't want to be a part of that. Oh BTW 'he' is a she ;-)

tex I do plan to stay and learn but to be honest about my motives its not because I ever want to buy a Rolex. It's just not my thing and I could never justify the money to myself. I just never want to pass up something real because I think its fake or vice versa. I see a lot of watches at auctions and estate sales so good to have some knowledge. Who knows could be win/win for me and someone here if I ever manage to find the real deal!
Old 2 May 2010, 11:27 AM   #23
mfer
"TRF" Member

So, you want to stay on the Rolex forum, but you don't ever want a Rolex????

whatever floats your boat!

Don't take this post to personal either. We utterly despise, loathe, spurn, scorn, deride and hate replicas and fakes.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2010, 11:33 AM   #24
majicauction

I want to learn, whats wrong with that? I deal with antiques, collectibles etc. Go to auctions and estate sales and run into all kinds of things. Isnt it better to learn then to unwittingly buy a fake and try to sell it as real? maybe ripping off someone here even.

I hate replicas and fakes in my hobbies as well, hence why i wouldn't want to do that to anyone else. Understand?
Old 2 May 2010, 11:33 AM   #25
t e x
"TRF" Member

My thoughts are, if you just spent some time here on this site, you would have spotted this fake by a country mile... which of course will aid your estate or other type of markets you might find yourself at
Old 2 May 2010, 11:35 AM   #26
Idle Swede
Suspended

Quote:
I want to learn, whats wrong with that? I deal with antiques, collectibles etc. Go to auctions and estate sales and run into all kinds of things. Isnt it better to learn then to unwittingly buy a fake and try to sell it as real? maybe ripping off someone here even.

I hate replicas and fakes in my hobbies as well, hence why i wouldn't want to do that to anyone else. Understand?

Nothing wrong with that.
Idle Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2010, 07:05 AM   #27
sam.

Watch: Oyster Royal 6246
I haven't seen any postings here that say you have to own a Rolex to become a member,you just have to be interested!,learn what you can and enjoy your time here, no need to bow out!
sam. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2010, 07:13 AM   #28
Safetrends
Banned

Watch: my hand. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam. View Post
I haven't seen any postings here that say you have to own a Rolex to become a member,you just have to be interested!,learn what you can and enjoy your time here, no need to bow out!
It is a good way to go, learn what you want in a watch, watch the watchout section to learn the fakes and Rolex watches that are junk. This way you will be aware of what you are buying.
Safetrends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2010, 08:05 AM   #29
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Here you go. Use this one.

Do us all a favor.

Old 3 May 2010, 08:33 AM   #30
TerryF

Watch: GMT Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunacan26 View Post
Why can't he sell it as a "replica" or fake? Such watches are all over the web. Someone pays 20 bucks for a watch he KNOWS is a fake, who is harmed?
Rolex, Omega, Panerai, take your pick.......and then of course you and I and every other individual out there who pays top dollar for original goods.

When a company has to spend millions to counter and curb counterfeiting of their products, who do you think pays for it?

This of course is besides the fact that patent rights are being infringed upon and last but not least, its against the law in most countries.

but hey, if you think its OK, who am I to rock the boat!!
TerryF is offline   Reply With Quote