The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 2 February 2010, 02:42 AM   #61
wgs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 000
If you are in a financial position to get the Submariner, I would highly recommend it. A lot of folks (including myself) seem to make a decision with price being the major factor and purchase a more cost effective brand and later end up buying Rolex. I use the term cost effective b/c the PO is an amazing watch, according to everyone on this forum who owns one. I seriously do not think I have heard one negative comment about it, and it is such a great looking piece.

With that being said, the Submariner is so classic, iconic, comfortable, and it suits every occasion. If you go with the PO, you may later long for the Sub. So if price is not the driving factor, I would go with the Sub now.

Both watches are awesome and very versatile, so you cannot go wrong with either.

Good luck!
wgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2010, 05:29 AM   #62
Thai
Banned

Watch: Rolex Yacht-Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgs View Post
With that being said, the Submariner is so classic, iconic, comfortable, and it suits every occasion. If you go with the PO, you may later long for the Sub. So if price is not the driving factor, I would go with the Sub now.
x2.
Thai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2010, 07:39 AM   #63
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

Planet Ocean > Submariner.

If Rolex upgrades the clasp..... then it might be something to consider. The extra $3K-$4K does not justify the amount to buy a Rolex. PO is hard to beat because of its modern design, new movement, depth rating, clasp, and VALUE. We're just going to have to wait and see...
Old 2 February 2010, 10:20 AM   #64
redsrover
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMTMaster II
I agree the PO is a tremendous value. I suppose if I were in the market for a Sub, since I just sold my SD, I'd either go for a 14060m to replace the one I sold 2 years ago, or an LV which is one Sub model I've never owned.
Old 2 February 2010, 11:33 AM   #65
Jack Sparrow

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior View Post
Sure some people would and some people wouldn't. I own both the Sub Date and PO (and have owned the LV) and would say they are of comparable quality. (i.e equal) Also, I prefer the PO over any Sub. Name cachet? Of course Rolex.
Obviously this is an arguement that's been going on for ages, and this thread will be no different, and do no more to get to the bottom of it than any of the others like it have.
I own, among others, a sub LV and a 42mm PO, and I don't think that they're of equal quality. And I dont think they're comparable- maybe when the PO gets closer to it's 50th anniversary.

Seriously though, do I think that the PO is an excellent watch? Yes.
Do I think that Omega makes a great product? Yes.
Do I think that there's a lot of value for what you pay for a PO? Without a doubt.

But I also think that it's unfair to comapre the two, and I think that a lot of people exaggerate the price:value ratio of a Rolex when comparing it to an Omega.
Jack Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2010, 12:05 PM   #66
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
all right! a dude who owns both...like me. you're right. this kind of argument could go on and on without end. but, i will tell you this. in comparing the two, i don't even consider price/value ratio.... or history.

just my perception of their quality ( from bracelet, clasp, casework/finishing, lume, bezel feel, timekeeping, movement, legibility, ruggedness, fitment of parts, and the like) and aesthetics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow View Post
Obviously this is an arguement that's been going on for ages, and this thread will be no different, and do no more to get to the bottom of it than any of the others like it have.
I own, among others, a sub LV and a 42mm PO, and I don't think that they're of equal quality. And I dont think they're comparable- maybe when the PO gets closer to it's 50th anniversary.

Seriously though, do I think that the PO is an excellent watch? Yes.
Do I think that Omega makes a great product? Yes.
Do I think that there's a lot of value for what you pay for a PO? Without a doubt.

But I also think that it's unfair to comapre the two, and I think that a lot of people exaggerate the price:value ratio of a Rolex when comparing it to an Omega.
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2010, 01:02 PM   #67
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
until now im torn between the 2.

the PO is like a high tech nuclear submarine

rolex is like an aircraft carrier

which to choose?
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2010, 07:05 PM   #68
Jack Sparrow

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior View Post
all right! a dude who owns both...like me. you're right. this kind of argument could go on and on without end. but, i will tell you this. in comparing the two, i don't even consider price/value ratio.... or history.

just my perception of their quality ( from bracelet, clasp, casework/finishing, lume, bezel feel, timekeeping, movement, legibility, ruggedness, fitment of parts, and the like) and aesthetics.
It really could go on forever!
To the PO's credit, I do prefer it's bezel feel over the Sub's, I can't deny that. I also think, like many others, that the traditional oyster clasp feels a little "tinny".
But I think that those things will both be rectified when the new model Sub is released, and hopefully that's something we'll see at Basel this year.
The new clasp style Rolex has been using is awesome, and I don't think that anyone can say that the glidelock is anything less than amazing and innovative.
My next purchase (soon! ) is going to be a SDDS, and the idea of finally being able to micro adjust my bracelet on-the-fly is super exciting.
Jack Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2010, 08:21 PM   #69
presario
"TRF" Member

This thread will get really interesting once the new 2010 SS Subs hit the market.

I've owned both the PO and the Sub Date and I'd chose the Sub Date. The PO does have some incredible features and it's a very handsome watch, but the crown popped off on me once. After that, I was nervous every time I had to pull the crown out to set the time. I loved everything else about the watch. I'll probably pick up another one down the road when it gets the 8500 movement.
Old 2 February 2010, 10:40 PM   #70
Thai
Banned

Watch: Rolex Yacht-Master
However, the new Sub price will even put it farther away from the PO in terms of "value." The new clasp does have its issues apparently from what i have been reading from a few GMTIIC owners (not as durable as the older simpler clasp??).
Thai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2010, 10:51 PM   #71
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I love this comparison.....Since I own both I have been saying..... "its like a Ferrari and a Porsche in the garage together."

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc8p View Post
until now im torn between the 2.

the PO is like a high tech nuclear submarine

rolex is like an aircraft carrier

which to choose?
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2010, 12:42 PM   #72
htc8p
"TRF" Member

but if you already have a gmt master 2c does this argument still count?
Old 6 February 2010, 10:15 PM   #73
stusrt
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many
I know the SUB costs way more then a PO - but the PO feels like a better made watch.
I have the 45.5mm - and it makes my rolex sea dweller seem small.

I'm sure some mentioned it - but the lume on the PO blows away anything the rolex makes. Just a better all-around watch.

however, the SUB is a rolex........
better long term investment.
And I'll bet the new ceramic ones next year are much better. Lord knows how high Rolex is going to raise the bar on the cost of a stainless steel watch....
stusrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 12:55 AM   #74
fishrising
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, Pam164, PO-XL
For me it was a size decision. As some may remember, I had an Orange PO, and decided to sell it and get into Rolex. Well over the course of a year I had purchased/traded several models of Rolex, ended up up with a SUBLV with black bezel that I absolutely loved. However, I ultimately sold it and ended up back with an orange numbered PO XL. The reason...once getting into 44mm+ watches (Omega PO XL, Panerai 164, Breitling blue faced Super Ocean Steelfish, Omega X-33, Breitling B-1) I just couldn't wear a 40mm. And I really wanted to keep that LV. So, being 6'7" 260lbs with 8.5" wrists, off it went, and now my PO XL gets split 50% of the time with my Panerai, and SO comes out in the summer. And now I am down to the Breitling SO, PAM164, and PO XL, everything else has been sold off and I am very content (at least at the moment)...
Old 7 February 2010, 03:34 AM   #75
bokmeipai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredke View Post
Seamaster Planet Ocean (2201.50.00) or Rolex Submariner date (16610)
Well, these 2 watches are looking great... Please argue!
Up to now, I love both, I am just thinking Omega is a lot cheaper for a great quality but since I need glasses to read, the Rolex cyclops looks really helpful. But is Rolex or Omega the most accurate? What about the autonomy? What about the value? And what about fashion? I feel like a novice on politic having to vote for the first time... and ready to watch the debate between the two main candidates...
I have both watches and love them both. The PO is a more heavier & has more heft than the Sub. The Rolex does hold more value though. There are pros & cons for both & everybody has their own taste.
bokmeipai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2010, 03:57 PM   #76
rustyh2o
"TRF" Member

I have been tracking the argument between the PO and Submariner and must say there is merit to both sides. I have owned a Submariner and liked it very much but traded it in for the new DeepSea thinking it was the panacea of large tool watches.

It didn't take long before this tall chunk of metal with the thin bracelet just felt unbalanced. I then flipped the DSSD for a GMT TT IIC as I travel a great deal. Although this is an awesome watch, the bling of the gold was something with which I never got comfortable.

I just picked up a 45.5 black bezel PO today and have to say it is awesome on my wrist. It sits perfectly and the size is in good proportion to my wrist (8.25" wrist). I was stuck on Rolex because of the brand and came to realize it was wearing the Rolex brand that was the appeal. When I truly looked at what I liked, the PO was a hands down winner.

I still have the GMT but will probably sell it at some point when it is near breakeven. I am very happy with the looks and feel of the PO. It may not be a Rolex but I like it!
rustyh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2010, 04:34 PM   #77
AAMD11
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Worldtimer
Planet Ocean for sure. The name itself sounds cool and the watch looks gorgeous, Sub is too common looking if you ask me.
AAMD11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2010, 09:57 PM   #78
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub 16610 M
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgs View Post
... PO is an amazing watch, according to everyone on this forum who owns one. I seriously do not think I have heard one negative comment about it, and it is such a great looking piece.
I've had both the Submariner and the Planet Ocean.

Actually I've had 3 planet oceans, keep in mind they were all brand new.

PO #1 - the movement would get stuck at 12 o'clock and freeze, regardless of how wound up the reserve was. It would just hit midnight and stop moving. Had to return it.

PO #2 - the movement ran well. However, I noticed that the crystal was not flush against the bezel. I thought nothing of it, but over time it bugged me and I noted that it was not only "not flush against the bezel", but it was lopsided. Then I began to recall why the helium valve/crown was protruding so much that I took it to the dealer. It turned out that the He valve was not properly installed and that it was protruding secondary to a factory error. Returned it again.

PO #3 - everything worked fine, exterior was great.

But by that time, the luster had died. I've had more defective POs than I wanted. Either Omega needs to step up their QC or the PO is not as bulletproof as it would appear.

In comparison, my Sub has been fine from day 1.

It's not a retrospective clinical trial, it's not double blinded, it's not even fit for a case study. But it's my experience.

Current Rotation: Rolex Submariner Date (M) - 1/08, Rolex Milgauss GV (V) - 2/10, Rolex SS Black Daytona (V) - 6/10, Rolex GMTIIC (G) - 5/11, TAG Heuer Silverstone (286/1860) - 1/2015
Former-watches: Omega PO/2535.80/2254, TAG Carrera/F1x2/Monaco, Panerai 312K/292L
Wish List: Panerai 270/505, Rolex SMURF, Rolex RG Daytona, Rolex DSSD
Joey_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2010, 12:55 AM   #79
chriseskew24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bunches
This is the age old question of whats nicer a BMW or Mercedes IMHO no wrong or right answers. Just opinions. I love my Omegas not PO but SMP I had a 16610 and honestly I do not regret flipping it for my two SMPs(electric Blue & 2254.50) plus a grand in the bank one bit.
Compared to the 16610 the SMP just had a nicer feel to me. Fit and finish are on par. But honestly we can say that the old oyster bracelet stood the test of time (which is true) but at the end of the days it was the same damn bracelet for decade after decade minus minor thing's like SEL and even then the ND Sub never got that upgrade.
I have owened Citizen & Seiko watches with more inovative bracelets then that. I am so happy that they finally steped up to the 21st century and gave a new bracelet.

But I am now Omega all the way. I just can not justify the premums that Rolex is chargeing these days... And with a brand like Omega I dont have to.
chriseskew24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2010, 02:39 AM   #80
openwheelracing
"TRF" Member

get the PO, add the savings into your portfolio. You'll be buying another Rolex in no time.
That's what I did.

PO is my favorite watch, most wrist time by far. I just flipped a GMTIIc for a GMTII Coke.

next up, I am working hard for that grail: Daytona. I might never buy it, because the chase is fun.
openwheelracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2010, 11:05 PM   #81
slevin kelevra
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m
After owning my sub for 3 months I would say I would certainly be more open minded to trying another brand for my next purchase. Although the way the PO looks isn't my cup of tea I would have to agree that it its probably just as good a watch than the sub and probably more modern in design.

I genuinely think that Rolex have just managed to market their products better than most other watch makers.

IMO Rolex is no better than Omega etc.
slevin kelevra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2010, 08:35 AM   #82
WJGESQ
Banned

Unless you need need to own a Rolex, for the sake of owning a Rolex, I think it would be pretty damn tough not to do the right thing and simply buy a Seamaster or Seamaster Planet Ocean. Rolex seems more geared towards the older generation or those eager to advertise the price of their watch. I had every intention of buying Rolex, until I handled the Seamaster line up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00451-20091204-1840.jpg (38.2 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg Three Amigos-Omega.jpg (83.7 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00539-20091218-1629.jpg (84.5 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00570-20091221-2025.jpg (136.5 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00562-20091220-1255.jpg (79.2 KB, 310 views)
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2010, 10:20 AM   #83
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

After viewing the release of the new Submariner, I would definitely buy it IF I had spare money to spend.

Even still, the PO is a quality timepiece at a superb value. With all factors counted in, the PO is better than the old Submariner.
Old 30 March 2010, 10:31 AM   #84
Kapture1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ω 3570.50.00
Planet Ocean for sure!

Wash out this tired notion that the best is yet to come
Kapture1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2010, 10:41 AM   #85
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
No question in my mind - the new Sub.

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2010, 10:43 AM   #86
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
If the criteria is solely bang for the buck...PO hands down. That being said, choices are rarely that simple. The Sub is a beautiful watch with a great history. The fact that you can get one used for a large discount makes this decision even harder, IMO.

Tough decision...
Cabaiguan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2010, 10:52 AM   #87
Traveler

Buy the Rolex.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2010, 09:44 PM   #88
Mockingbird
"TRF" Member

PO is a tad bit large, and next to impossible to wear with a suit. I own both, and the Sub gets more wrist time for some reason, I don't know why, but just think about that.
Mockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2010, 12:00 AM   #89
openwheelracing
"TRF" Member

unless your wrist is too small, the PO is not difficult to wear with a suit. Perhaps your cuffs are too tight? Time for new shirts. : )

Also, your PO is on a rubber strap, that's a different topic all together.
openwheelracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2010, 01:41 PM   #90
htc8p
"TRF" Member

now that the new sub ceramic is revealed it seems that it is no longer the tool watch of the old 16610. and im not too blown away by the new subc either since it is just a natural evolution of rolex. it seem just a way to maximize profits. so i think am am going with the PO or the old submariner.