The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 April 2019, 02:37 AM   #1
dannyp
Banned

Crown down to slow down!

I saw a thread here recently about watches running too fast and just want to echo what's been said here before: resting in the crown-down position will indeed have that effect.

My 16570 was probably running +5 or so sec/day; enough to the point that it would need to be adjusted monthly. I tried resting it crown down for a few nights, and then two days ago reset it at exactly noon, and started the stopwatch on my phone. Now running only about +1 sec/day.

Question: Once I hit "equilibrium" what's the best resting position? Or do I just alternate?
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2019, 02:50 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
I saw a thread here recently about watches running too fast and just want to echo what's been said here before: resting in the crown-down position will indeed have that effect.

My 16570 was probably running +5 or so sec/day; enough to the point that it would need to be adjusted monthly. I tried resting it crown down for a few nights, and then two days ago reset it at exactly noon, and started the stopwatch on my phone. Now running only about +1 sec/day.

Question: Once I hit "equilibrium" what's the best resting position? Or do I just alternate?
I wish thats all I had to worry about that I might have to adjust my watch a minute or so monthly.Any different resting positions with only have a effect of perhaps a couple of seconds out of 86400 in a day.No mechanical watch any brand and any price will keep perfect time.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2019, 02:53 AM   #3
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
I wish thats all I had to worry about that I might have to adjust my watch a minute or so monthly.Any different resting positions with only have a effect of perhaps a couple of seconds out of 86400 in a day.No mechanical watch any brand and any price will keep perfect time.

Interestingly, mine never lost any time when resting with crown up...
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2019, 03:19 AM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Interestingly, mine never lost any time when resting with crown up...
Not all movements are the same even the same movement some do some dont change hardly in one position or others. Its mainly the older movements like the 15 series different resting positions might have the biggest effect while the 31 series less effected.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2019, 03:31 AM   #5
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
As a general rule. dial down on the crystal, on a hard surface also gains time .(Don't worry the crystal is the very last thing that will scratch .Only a diamond scratches it)
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2019, 04:37 AM   #6
watchmaker
TechXpert

Despite the fact Rolex used to publish that information, it is not accurate and it is a good thing they no longer make those claims. There is no specification that assembly or service watchmakers work to that would ensure that crown down would lose compared to a different vertical position or the horizontal positions.

As you can see from this photo my own Sea Dweller gains in crown down and loses in crown up - this is how it was delivered.

If it works on your watch, it is a coincidence.

PS. Apologies the photo is not aligned correctly. It is on my computer and can't seem to rotate it on here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0655.jpg (80.7 KB, 315 views)
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2019, 04:50 AM   #7
Jostack
"TRF" Member

What is the protocol that Rolex uses to determine their +/- 2spd? How can you determine if your watch is actually operating within the spec?
Jostack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2019, 05:01 AM   #8
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostack View Post
What is the protocol that Rolex uses to determine their +/- 2spd? How can you determine if your watch is actually operating within the spec?
Two common testing methods are using a timing machine that gives a reading like the photo I posted.

The other is using a machine that constantly rotates the watch to ensure the watch spends an equal amount of time in all positions. This can run for a number of days, and the time gained/lost is the daily rate.
Old 7 April 2019, 05:19 AM   #9
Jostack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
Two common testing methods are using a timing machine that gives a reading like the photo I posted.

The other is using a machine that constantly rotates the watch to ensure the watch spends an equal amount of time in all positions. This can run for a number of days, and the time gained/lost is the daily rate.
Those methods make sense, and I’m familiar with a timegrapher style machine.

If I didn’t know anything (and I don’t), the pic you posted shows the watch is out of spec in some positions?

I know that wearing a watch throughout the day puts the watch in many different positions and the watch also experiences a certain amount in inertia while moving. These all effect the net timing. I would hope that the Rolex published spec takes all of these things into account some way. That may not be true, but if they claim an extremely high standard as a spec, and a watch does not meet that spec, what value is there in it?
Old 7 April 2019, 05:31 AM   #10
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostack View Post
Those methods make sense, and I’m familiar with a timegrapher style machine.

If I didn’t know anything (and I don’t), the pic you posted shows the watch is out of spec in some positions?

I know that wearing a watch throughout the day puts the watch in many different positions and the watch also experiences a certain amount in inertia while moving. These all effect the net timing. I would hope that the Rolex published spec takes all of these things into account some way. That may not be true, but if they claim an extremely high standard as a spec, and a watch does not meet that spec, what value is there in it?
The daily rate of +-2 is an average of 5 testing positions (crown right is omitted).

If you look at the reading in the photo the daily rate (X) is +1. This average is made of the (in my case) 6 positions. Hope that names sense.
Old 7 April 2019, 05:39 AM   #11
Jostack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
The daily rate of +-2 is an average of 5 testing positions (crown right is omitted).

If you look at the reading in the photo the daily rate (X) is +1. This average is made of the (in my case) 6 positions. Hope that names sense.

Yes, got it, thanks.