The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 February 2020, 11:06 AM   #121
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

This sounds fair to me, although I will say a little complicated. At the end of the day, as long as they fix their mistake all will be good. When I go to purchase my 268655 on the oysterflex , I am going to see if they can size the band first before I pay. Wouldn’t want to go through a long process after just purchasing.
Mr. Miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 11:07 AM   #122
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
I would have thought that a new watch would be the easiest, but what do I know. I guess you can only push them so far. As long as you’re happy with it, that’s all that matters. Did they give you a time frame?

Thanks for the update.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 11:47 AM   #123
johnnyjazz
"TRF" Member

Sounds a bit suss, a straight swap for a new watch that is already made would be easier.
You have accepted, ok. Just to be on the safe side, get your existing watch head weighed, the new custom made one should be heavier.
johnnyjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 12:42 PM   #124
2th_doc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Miami View Post
When I go to purchase my 268655 on the oysterflex , I am going to see if they can size the band first before I pay. Wouldn’t want to go through a long process after just purchasing.

Let us know if that works or if they give pushback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2th_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 12:45 PM   #125
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2th_doc View Post
Let us know if that works or if they give pushback.

Well that is going to be a while for that update as I am currently in the middle of saving up for it. But I will nonetheless update this thread when I get it.
Mr. Miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 12:47 PM   #126
Rjongco
"TRF" Member

How long is this supposed to take?

Rjongco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 12:49 PM   #127
Flybak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Thanks for the update. Definitely one way to go about solving the issue, albeit more complicated. Hopefully you'll be satisfied with the final outcome
Flybak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 01:12 PM   #128
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyHighroller View Post
Update

Long story short, the RSC requested to have the chance to repair the watch even though I told them I wouldn't be happy with the outcome. I was told they have to exhaust all options before reaching out to upper management for further escalation otherwise they'll get pushback, which I understood. The first repair was okay for an average person, but not a WIS. The second attempt was much better, but I definitely noticed the softer edge especially on the line that separates the side profile vs top of the lug. At this point I continued to push for a new watch as I believe it was easiest option, and I feel it is the most appropriate given the circumstances.

I received a call today from my RSC contact and they spoke various individuals from Rolex USA and Geneva. They offered to make me a brand new case with the same exact serial number and they would simply transfer my existing movement and clasp. Being the new case has the same serial, my documentation would still match and be valid. After all is completed, they would simply melt down and destroy the old case.

I told my contact I felt this was a more complicated proposal vs just replacing the watch outright, which he also agreed, but he did mention management looked at it from the perspective of addressing my main concerns (damaged case and mismatching serials w/ new case). With that being said, I feel this proposal is fair given nothing is wrong with movement or clasp. Another team will be preforming this swap at a different location, so special attention will absolutely be given. What do you all think?

I'd recommend dropping the Mugtau avatar before telling someone that next time..
this is great, I honestly don't know why they don't do this more often, would really save a lot of headaches for folks....hopefully in the future they offer this as a service for all
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 01:21 PM   #129
dane75
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16753
Quote:
Update

Long story short, the RSC requested to have the chance to repair the watch even though I told them I wouldn't be happy with the outcome. I was told they have to exhaust all options before reaching out to upper management for further escalation otherwise they'll get pushback, which I understood. The first repair was okay for an average person, but not a WIS. The second attempt was much better, but I definitely noticed the softer edge especially on the line that separates the side profile vs top of the lug. At this point I continued to push for a new watch as I believe it was easiest option, and I feel it is the most appropriate given the circumstances.

I received a call today from my RSC contact and they spoke various individuals from Rolex USA and Geneva. They offered to make me a brand new case with the same exact serial number and they would simply transfer my existing movement and clasp. Being the new case has the same serial, my documentation would still match and be valid. After all is completed, they would simply melt down and destroy the old case.

I told my contact I felt this was a more complicated proposal vs just replacing the watch outright, which he also agreed, but he did mention management looked at it from the perspective of addressing my main concerns (damaged case and mismatching serials w/ new case). With that being said, I feel this proposal is fair given nothing is wrong with movement or clasp. Another team will be preforming this swap at a different location, so special attention will absolutely be given. What do you all think?
This seems strangely like removing your appendix by way of your knee. That said, it seems to me an appropriate remedy. Rolex made both cases and the serials match.
Old 8 February 2020, 01:35 PM   #130
2024 Pledge Member

Yup, I'd take that in a heartbeat. You'll get a proper watch in the end with papers still matching.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 01:40 PM   #131
ilovethiscity
"TRF" Member

Watch: the days go by
Wow what a crazy story! I’m actually impressed they’re making a whole new case that’s pretty amazing but I suppose this isn’t exactly an SS DJ we’re talking about here and they clearly do want to make you happy. I really hope it works out well for you OP! Keep us in the loop
ilovethiscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 01:47 PM   #132
Psijason
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seamster 300 Green
It just amazes me that RSC still makes those stupid mistakes. There really is a process to not have that happen. They really need to make you whole. It doesn't matter however small it is. Granted, in the future you will get a ding here and there, but you didn't do it. They did it and you brought it to them to be safe and have it done right. I have my own method for swapping out bracelets and bands and it's flawless every time and I'm just a watch enthusiast. Go with your gut. There are no right or wrong answers. If it were me I'd have them make it exactly the way it was before I dropped it off.
Psijason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 01:49 PM   #133
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Quote:
Update

I'd recommend dropping the Mugtau avatar before telling someone that next time..
OP, Glad you got it sorted. The resolution seems a fair one. Only real downside is being without your watch for a few weeks but you get a pristine example when it's all said and done.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 02:37 PM   #134
JodyHighroller
Banned

Thank you everyone. It gives me a peace of mind all agree on here that it's an appropriate remedy including my family and close WIS buddies. For those who asked regarding time frame, I was quoted about a month. At this point, I don't mind the additional wait, I just want a smooth and well executed swap performed.

Very excited to get it back on my wrist. It fits phenomenal due to the updated clasp w/ glide lock. I haven't given the final approvals yet since the relative departments were already closed for the day today, but I'll be sure to post an update once everything is completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjazz View Post
Sounds a bit suss, a straight swap for a new watch that is already made would be easier.
You have accepted, ok. Just to be on the safe side, get your existing watch head weighed, the new custom made one should be heavier.
Thanks for mentioning this. It actually crossed my mind when I was speaking with the RSC contact earlier. I joked and said "are you sure you guys aren't going to try a pull a fast one by saying you replaced the case, but in reality not?". He laughed and said no, we wouldn't do that and put our reputation on the line.
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 05:58 PM   #135
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
This has been a very educational thread. Glad OP got a resolution. And a precedent has been set which we know of, one I hope never to have to drawn upon.

Old 10 February 2020, 12:40 AM   #136
Max7857
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AK EXP II SeaQ
To me this is one of those "win the battle lose the war" endings. I of course would accept the outcome. What choice do you have. I say shame on Rolex though. They should have replaced the watch early on in the equation.

That the solution is to fabricate a new case and save the internals could just have easily been done behind the scenes and when completed gone out as a new watch to an AD or placed in an AD case to be sold as used if it no longer met the legal definition of new.

All the internal memos to dealers to remove stickers etc to protect against flippers etc to protect the Rolex name. Well they need a memo to service centers about how they replaced an expensive PM watch due to poor training carelessness and that corporate will hold the RSC or AD responsible.

It is true that all of these watches will get dings etc if bought to be worn and enjoyed. But as been said by many it should be the owner of the watch that gets the privilege joy of adding the battle scars. Rolex commands the prices and loyalty they receive in large part from the hype of being a high quality pure luxury company. In the rare case when they drop the ball they need to step up to the plate and go above and beyond to exceed expectations and act like the world class luxury company they purport to be.

So many of these purchases are tied to stories such as job promotions, anniversaries, etc. Imagine the goodwill Rolex would receive if every time the story was told by the owner was saying something to the effect " I can't believe Rolex gave me a new watch after their service center nicked it" instead of the buzzkill hassle of this thread. That is how world class customer oriented companies operate.
Max7857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2020, 01:47 AM   #137
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Satisfactory result.
But obviously you would have preferred a new watch and I bet it would have been easier and less expensive for rolex to just give you a new watch and sell the old one.
Old 10 February 2020, 02:22 AM   #138
jinikari01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
This solution is bit complicated but it's what it is.
RSC should have just allocate a new watch to the AD and let you swap with an even exchange. This is a easier and faster, less costly solution IMO.

Thanks for the update OP and good luck on your journey on receiving the new watch you paid and deserve.
jinikari01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 08:26 AM   #139
amanbra
"TRF" Member

OP, glad you got an outcome you are happy with. For me I did not push for this option because I've never ever had a watch that was opened up come back to be in the same condition. Literally never, I don't trust any watch maker at the moment so I decided to live with the compensation and add more scratches and nics of my own... Don't get me wrong, I was freakin angry at them but moved on. I'm still not fully happy but it is what it is...
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 09:01 AM   #140
JodyHighroller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanbra View Post
OP, glad you got an outcome you are happy with. For me I did not push for this option because I've never ever had a watch that was opened up come back to be in the same condition. Literally never, I don't trust any watch maker at the moment so I decided to live with the compensation and add more scratches and nics of my own... Don't get me wrong, I was freakin angry at them but moved on. I'm still not fully happy but it is what it is...
The RSC is very well aware of my expectations, and if it doesn’t come back like new then there is only one option left. I won’t settle on a watch this expensive.
Old 15 February 2020, 09:07 AM   #141
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I guess Wabi-Sabi does not exist in the US.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 06:27 AM   #142
outsnowboarding
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The RSC is very well aware of my expectations, and if it doesn’t come back like new then there is only one option left. I won’t settle on a watch this expensive.

How did you make out Jody?

outsnowboarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2020, 04:18 AM   #143
JodyHighroller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsnowboarding View Post
How did you make out Jody?

Sorry for the late response! I just saw this. Don’t know how I missed this back in April!

I’m pleased to report that I picked up my watch today from the RSC with a brand new case! It took six months for the repair due to Covid, but my patience paid off. To be honest, it’s such a relief and I’m glad to put this behind me. Geneva provided the new case and made sure the original serial number was engraved.

The RSC was very diligent through the QC process (five step) and went above Geneva new watch standards. They also comped my next full service for any one of my watches. I’m very happy with how accommodating they were to my requests and expectations. I told them to please take their time so nothing goes amiss. The wait was incredibly hard, but like all things in life good things come to those who are patient!

Huge grin on my face today of finally being able to wear it officially for first time since purchasing in January!

Old 30 July 2020, 06:27 AM   #144
prnceofpersia23
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500LN
Wow, what a saga. Glad you are finally able to enjoy it! It's a fantastic watch.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
prnceofpersia23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2020, 06:30 AM   #145
acheronsgrief
"TRF" Member

Glad to hear there’s a happy resolution, enjoy the watch!
acheronsgrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2020, 06:36 AM   #146
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
This is what happens particularly with the OF. We have seen complaints here and over at Wutchuseek.

This is mostly due to the design of the OF. Rolex did themselves NO favor when they implemented this difficult band.

Too bad about the damage, but your AD made it right for you.

There is no excuse for this sort of damage. A new watch should be handed to you in PRISTINE condition.

We / I have had our share of OF issues and bracelets and pins damages from AD's.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2020, 06:39 AM   #147
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Oops; double post!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2020, 06:41 AM   #148
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Just wear the watch....if you don’t want scratches don’t do bracelet swaps....
This isn't just a bracelet swap; swaps have to be done to size the bracelet correctly. That's part of the charm of the OF bracelet. It's a feature. Anyone buying a Rolex should expect the bracelet to be sized correctly without damage.

Quote:
Sorry for the late response! I just saw this. Don’t know how I missed this back in April!

I’m pleased to report that I picked up my watch today from the RSC with a brand new case! It took six months for the repair due to Covid, but my patience paid off. To be honest, it’s such a relief and I’m glad to put this behind me. Geneva provided the new case and made sure the original serial number was engraved.

The RSC was very diligent through the QC process (five step) and went above Geneva new watch standards. They also comped my next full service for any one of my watches. I’m very happy with how accommodating they were to my requests and expectations. I told them to please take their time so nothing goes amiss. The wait was incredibly hard, but like all things in life good things come to those who are patient!

Huge grin on my face today of finally being able to wear it officially for first time since purchasing in January!

I'm pleased and impressed that the high road was taken by Rolex; congratulations!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2020, 06:50 AM   #149
kiki9999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhighroller View Post
another photo of the damage. The two spots above the circled area are light reflections.

sent from my iphone using tapatalk
wow
kiki9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2020, 06:54 AM   #150
kiki9999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
As we know the Oyster Strap has no cutouts at the rear of the strap as have the bracelet end links.

This makes inserting a spring bar tool more difficult to do without damage especially on a gold case.

It would not have been difficult for Rolex to address this when they designed the strap?

Rolex should take the responsibility for this issue.
I second that. Actually every watch company should adopt the easy band swap approach. It's not complicated and totally necessary for a gold watch.
kiki9999 is offline   Reply With Quote