The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 April 2018, 02:10 PM   #31
jh225
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRol View Post
This thread certainly shows the other side of RSCs after many singing the praises. Good to hear it all for the most informed decisions.
That’s what I was thinking.

If NYC is taboo and Dallas is having issues, where does one go for service?
jh225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 02:15 PM   #32
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh225 View Post
That’s what I was thinking.

If NYC is taboo and Dallas is having issues, where does one go for service?
Find good independents. Crucial to build a good relationship with a good watchmaker being an enthusiast. You can't do that via RSC since you have no control who works on the watch.

A little bit like cars..people who know anything about them usually avoid the dealers like the plague for services and maintenance.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 02:32 PM   #33
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Very interesting. I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread for updates
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 04:02 PM   #34
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Read many bad experiences with US based RSCs. Good luck
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 04:19 PM   #35
Hoppyjr
"TRF" Member

Did the RSC call it a “Hulk” too?
Hoppyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 12:17 AM   #36
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
This is their normal process. I understand where Rolex is coming from but it can get to the point where it seems silly.

I sent a 5513 to Dallas. For a 5513 it was in excellent vintage conditon. But their list of damage was nothing short of amazing.

Politely had them send it back and got it serviced elsewhere. But I was thankful for their taking the time to authenticate the watch for me.
Old 18 April 2018, 12:55 AM   #37
mjg002
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
This is their normal process. I understand where Rolex is coming from but it can get to the point where it seems silly.

I sent a 5513 to Dallas. For a 5513 it was in excellent vintage conditon. But their list of damage was nothing short of amazing.

Politely had them send it back and got it serviced elsewhere. But I was thankful for their taking the time to authenticate the watch for me.

I can honestly say that was a LOL moment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mjg002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 12:59 AM   #38
Raza_actual
"TRF" Member

Watch: Monaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by c41006 View Post
How does that even happen?
Carelessness. I had a Seiko with a cyclops way back when—had the battery changed and it came back with a big scratch on the cyclops. They clearly had it crystal down on a surface it shouldn’t have been.
Old 18 April 2018, 01:25 AM   #39
Langnam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstore View Post
Scratched hands. I ‘d ask if the watch appeared to have been previously opened.

This. I had scratched hands on a new DavidSW watch, too. When I sent the watch in for warranty service at Dallas , I noted the scratches and Rolex replaced the complete hand set under warranty. Rolex ref. 116509

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18 April 2018, 01:58 AM   #40
arizonapaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: All 3 Sea-Dwellers
Just called Dallas and spoke to customer service. They will not replace the hands that I'm sure are minuscule scratches at best. She said this could of happen from me bumping the watch and the hands touched. I asked, "are you kidding me, What kind of jolt would it take for one hand to touch the other, there is some good separation between the hands as i can see by looking through my sd43." She said it still possible for the hands to touch, then she said it could be a piece of lint that scratched it. I asked again" How would lint get in there, and did they find the culprit piece of lint" At this point I sensed a bit of aggravation, then I asked to see pictures of everything they found as the word "dent" is a very strong word for what might be a hairline scratch?
She said she could probably get pictures taken, but it would take the watch 'out of service' and delay it a few weeks of getting the work done. Told her to forget and I will inspect it when I get it back. Kind of a disappointing call and feel if I was in a restaurant, they would of spit in my food!!!!!
Now I know why these are called tool watches, tool as in the people at service and not as defining our watches.
Rolex TT Sub-
Rolex SD4000
Omega Ploprof 1200 m
Panerai 510
Panerai 785 set-NIB
Rolex Airking
arizonapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 02:05 AM   #41
adg31
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonapaul View Post
Just called Dallas and spoke to customer service. They will not replace the hands that I'm sure are minuscule scratches at best. She said this could of happen from me bumping the watch and the hands touched. I asked, "are you kidding me, What kind of jolt would it take for one hand to touch the other, there is some good separation between the hands as i can see by looking through my sd43." She said it still possible for the hands to touch, then she said it could be a piece of lint that scratched it. I asked again" How would lint get in there, and did they find the culprit piece of lint" At this point I sensed a bit of aggravation, then I asked to see pictures of everything they found as the word "dent" is a very strong word for what might be a hairline scratch?
She said she could probably get pictures taken, but it would take the watch 'out of service' and delay it a few weeks of getting the work done. Told her to forget and I will inspect it when I get it back. Kind of a disappointing call and feel if I was in a restaurant, they would of spit in my food!!!!!
Now I know why these are called tool watches, tool as in the people at service and not as defining our watches.

Sorry to hear that things aren't going well with RSC; this must be 'The Rolex Way' - as they say in their advertising :(
Having been on the receiving end of it myself I really feel for you and hope that you get it sorted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
adg31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 02:07 AM   #42
Ripcode
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I had all those conditions plus a few more listed for my 16610 that I had sent to the Dallas RSC. It came back looking great and I did not have my hands replaced. I can't see any scratches on the hands with my eyes and I do not own a loupe.
Ripcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 02:22 AM   #43
zaydans
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710
RSC isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. NY branch returned my watch with scuffs on the case. Of course they put it right but next time I pick up from them I’ll have my loupe and inspect with a fine tooth comb before I leave. The brand has raised expectations so high that we consumers have put them on a pedestal and its disappointing when they don’t deliver.
zaydans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 02:26 AM   #44
adg31
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaydans View Post
RSC isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. NY branch returned my watch with scuffs on the case. Of course they put it right but next time I pick up from them I’ll have my loupe and inspect with a fine tooth comb before I leave. The brand has raised expectations so high that we consumers have put them on a pedestal and its disappointing when they don’t deliver.

In all fairness I would have settled for competence :) Surely having a RSC return a watch in the same condition - or better - than when they received it isn't asking too much in this day and age?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
adg31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 02:32 AM   #45
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
I don't know I guess I'm in the minority here but it doesn't seem like that big of a deal, assuming the watch is returned in pristine condition. The service is free from the looks of the invoice so have them replace everything and then inspect the watch closely when you get it back.

What am I missing?
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 02:42 AM   #46
MCOSUB
"TRF" Member

Watch: A Few
I always inspect and photograph my watch thoroughly prior to sending it off for service. I don’t want there to any confusion about whether the watch was damaged by the person performing the service.
Rolex Deep Blue Deep Sea Dweller 116660
Oris Great Barrier Reef #845/1000
MCOSUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 02:50 AM   #47
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
I am not fortunate enough to own a Rolex with a warranty, but I could see high-rez photos of the watch upon sealing the package to them being a good insurance policy. Sign the tape that seals the box too, so there is tamper evidence. (photograph that too)

I would go so far as to say pack copies of the photos with the watch, so the tech who opens the box also understands there is photographic evidence of the condition when shipped out.

I work with aircraft parts all day and we go through a lot of this "he said-she said" business... It gets tedious but you have to stand your ground and make sure all the players are reading off the same sheet of music.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 12:19 PM   #48
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
A good friend of mine had the crystal replaced & a polish at RSC Kuwait on his SD4K last year. It was taking longer than expected and it turns out they pressure tested at the DeepSea pressure rating and bent the case. They were originally only going to replace the case but he insisted on a new replacement, which he eventually got.
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote