The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 May 2018, 06:46 AM   #61
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary. View Post
The irony is that they are guaranteeing that whoever goes for it is about to flip 25k of watches.
That assumes they'll sell the OP $25k in popular references to get on said list, which still could mean years and years of waiting. I still think this AD was politely saying 'no' and would recommend finding a different AD.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 08:19 AM   #62
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Once supplies return to normal -- and I suspect they will at some point -- the nonsense should settle down a bit. So-called "lists" are purely due to supply issues and ADs wanting to make sure their current clients have stuff available to purchase. Unfortunately some ADs are just jerks about it.
The Rolex and Patek markets are in a bubble right now. As long as supply is kept like this and people have the ability to make a fast zero risk profit, nothing will change here. On my local Craigslist, some guy is selling a TT Sub and a black Sub Date both bought at the end of April. There is another ND bought in May! The ADs don’t give a shit about weeding anyone out. As long as they’re selling as much inventory as they can that’s all they care about.

I refuse to become a part-time watch reseller just to get what I want. I’m also not giving some dipshit $5-10k as finder’s fee. Cash is more valuable than any of these watches otherwise a hell of a lot more people would actually be keeping them.
Old 21 May 2018, 08:20 AM   #63
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I wouldn’t spend a penny over 24k myself.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 08:24 AM   #64
TrajanACC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by faimag View Post
If you have to spend 25K BEFORE spending another 12K on a ceramic SS Daytona (total of 37K), you may as well buy one 116500 from grey and just spend 20K! And party away with the remaining 17K...
While you do that, I’ll enjoy the 3 other Rolexes I got with the 25K
TrajanACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 09:41 AM   #65
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
You know Greys are going to start bundling too if everyone starts going grey... so go grey while you can!
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 10:02 AM   #66
TheRacer
"TRF" Member

So basically we went to the diamond district today and there were plenty of 116500... price range was between 19k and 21k.. it means between 6-8 k over the MSRP.
Then we went to the AD on the 5th and they started with lot of bs..as waiting list and the 50k story...
End of the story if I want the watch I have to pay the market price hoping that Rolex doesn’t go crazy and starts to produce and release more pcs than now...
Anyway the watch is STUNNING.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TheRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 10:04 AM   #67
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecorsaire View Post
The ADs don’t give a shit about weeding anyone out. As long as they’re selling as much inventory as they can that’s all they care about.
Both ADs I deal with weed people out on the harder to get references to save inventory for their customers. Common references, no, they don't give a shit. But, that wasn't my point.
Old 21 May 2018, 12:39 PM   #68
American Jedi
Banned

Watch: Rollie’s and JLC
Having to buy 25K worth of watches before buying a Daytona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaxe View Post
That’s the norm now and 25k is actually very reasonable.

Would you rather have a sd43, BLNR, ExpI and a 116500 for $38k
Or a sd43k and a 116500 for $33k when you buy from resellers.

It’s still extortion. But you make a very good point. It is almost worth the 25K to help shut down the greys.
American Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 01:15 PM   #69
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
No way I'd play that game. Who buys watches like that?
Rich people.
Tha Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 01:59 PM   #70
SSGMT
"TRF" Member

My AD told me that it would require a minimum of 50K of purchases to be considered to buy an available Daytona - it's going to be quite a while until I am considered to be able to purchase one. :)
SSGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 04:05 PM   #71
daytonastl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGMT View Post
My AD told me that it would require a minimum of 50K of purchases to be considered to buy an available Daytona - it's going to be quite a while until I am considered to be able to purchase one. :)
Did an AD actually say that to you..oh wait, you live in the Bay Area. Never mind.
daytonastl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 04:39 PM   #72
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGMT View Post
just curious. Since the AD already has customers who have spent that much and many who have spent way more, do you think you should go first?

It sucks but they are ahead in the queue. Bundling or buying stuff you dont want it a bad idea, but sometimes AD's use that to give you the option to build a relationship fast. If you have the relationship already, its a different story as you already have met whatever criteria the AD has. No reasonable AD would have any requirement of a high spending and established client as the AD needs their spend more than the client needs the AD and they would walk.

Big cities are harder obviously as they have a lot of high spending customers.

People miss the point. Its not a requirement for everyone. Its an "option" you have to get on the level of people who do get the watch. Grey market is a cheaper option in many cases and in many cases its not so it depends on individual situations.

Its risk vs reward for the AD as far as selling someone a watch with additional purchases vs the possibility of making a big spender mad if they come in tomorrow and ask for the same watch. It does take a lot for them to risk that with very low levels of stock.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 09:27 PM   #73
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
You know Greys are going to start bundling too if everyone starts going grey... so go grey while you can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 12:23 AM   #74
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
I'll never play that game with ADs for two reasons: first and foremost I'm not made of money and secondly I find it ethically questionable. I'm glad I'm not a fan of the Daytona and realise how lucky I am for getting my SD43 last year from the AD with no previous purchase history. Counting my blessings.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 12:44 AM   #75
time_prism
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfin View Post
While not very palatable these practices are understandable. I'm sure my opinion here will be unpopular but how I see it.

The AD has overhead to pay and employees to feed etc. when the cases are empty of popular models. Why wouldn't they want to reward customers who spend money in their store year round on other items while the cases are empty of low volume popular models? These are the customers that keep the lights on in between Rolex shipments.

Of course there's no free ride for the AD as the customer has the freedom to go elsewhere and maybe that customer would have become a vip customer but now is angry with you. I assume these decisions are not easy for the business owner who has to balance rewarding loyal customers with attracting new business. I'm assuming these can be difficult decisions to look a customer in the face and say no I don't have what you want when it's 50' away in the safe given that most of these businesses have high overhead in high rent business districts and expensive security needs etc. The AD will follow the money and if a customer spends real money, that AD doesn't want that customer spending that money elsewhere. Restaurants reward loyal big spenders why shouldn't jewelry stores?
Intelligent point of view, I came across something like that with my local AD and although it sucks for me, I can totally understand the owners reasoning.
time_prism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 01:18 AM   #76
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post

Thanks for the Monday pick up. Made me laugh.
Vipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 03:40 AM   #77
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

ADs are put in the position of having to sell inventory they can't get, at prices that are below what they could get for them due to the scarcity. So they devise wait list strategies that keeps money coming in the door, out of the necessity to survive.

Or they scalp an extra few bucks by letting a GM dealer take them, along with a few hard to move pieces. I find it very difficult to pin the cause of these behaviors on anyone except Rolex.
hambone1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 02:22 AM   #78
Swimmer0
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro Watch View Post
Im trying to find a rolex SD43, So I started to call some AD's in the my area. No luck on the SD43, but they did say they had 2 Daytonas a black face and a white face. Told them I would be intrested in the white faced Daytona, but they told me I had to spend at least 25K before I could purchase the Daytona. Is this a common thing with authorized rolex AD's? Sounds like pay to play, I wonder what rolex thinks of this.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
... no reputable AD would even have to offer those Daytonas, in my experience , any steel Daytonas, well they don't even make it to the showcase, they're vaulted then sold to the preferred customer whos been waiting and whom they've sold to and established a relationship with.
Swimmer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 11:37 AM   #79
HORNBLOWER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1 OR 2
Crazy. Buy a good used one from a trusted source and save a fortune.
HORNBLOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 11:56 AM   #80
BVLDARI
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro Watch View Post
Im trying to find a rolex SD43, So I started to call some AD's in the my area. No luck on the SD43, but they did say they had 2 Daytonas a black face and a white face. Told them I would be intrested in the white faced Daytona, but they told me I had to spend at least 25K before I could purchase the Daytona. Is this a common thing with authorized rolex AD's? Sounds like pay to play, I wonder what rolex thinks of this.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
This is by far the lowest bundle requirement i've seen to date...
BVLDARI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 12:23 PM   #81
coralfarmer84
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
How do 6+ month old threads get bumped to the top?
Old 4 January 2019, 01:20 PM   #82
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by coralfarmer84 View Post
How do 6+ month old threads get bumped to the top?

Better than 5 year old threads. Seen that a bunch.

bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 01:47 PM   #83
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
I like the word "relationship." It's just a code word for someone with cash.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 01:55 PM   #84
MTBer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovda View Post
EXACTLY. People can pontificate about the “fairness” of placing very high spending customers first in line for difficult to find pieces, but coincidentally they happen to be very high spending customers.
MTBer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 02:47 PM   #85
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovda View Post
I didn't have to spend my way to a Daytona whatsoever. A relationship isn't always about money.

The bigger challenge seems to be in finding a good AD. Most complaints seem to be centered more around that than anything.
Old 4 January 2019, 02:50 PM   #86
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Such a LOL. Glad that not a part of the show anymore.
Old 4 January 2019, 03:05 PM   #87
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Last edited by JacksonRain; 4 January 2019 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: Deleted - realized it's an old thread
JacksonRain is offline   Reply With Quote