The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 February 2016, 06:25 AM   #121
simongpaez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Some
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1911a1 View Post
For me, "love" in this context is similar to my "love" of Strawberry-Ice-Cream....for example....
simongpaez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2016, 06:25 AM   #122
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Rolex's strategic plan was to transition from tool watches to a luxury brand. And they succeeded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawlaDK View Post
Thanks for all your comments and thoughts. This turned into a very interesting thread, and I get all of the different points and respect them ALL. Just to comment on a few things. I DON’T blame Rolex for evolving at all. I always expect Rolex to be ahead of the competition, I just don’t particularly like the way they have evolved. Todays Rolex is much more of a status symbol (at least for many non WIS) than it is a tool where form follows function. I guess the word that best explains how I think the new Gen. Rolexes feel (to me) is STERILE…. While that may work for others, it does not for me. That’s nothing against people who wear the new ones AT ALL. I would never judge someone based on the watch they wear – Nor do I care what other people think of the watches I wear. It’s entirely about the way I personally feel about the brand today, and subsequently about my own collection of watches. The fact that I don’t like the ceramic models is just a matter of personal taste, both in terms of aesthetics and functionality. I don’t like the look and, I don’t think that ceramic and glidelock are improvements – But again JUST my personal opinion. The point of the thread was just to ask if anyone else had experienced the feeling of becoming increasingly “disconnected” with the brand and loosing interest because they had perhaps been through most of the old models and couldn’t see themselves buying a new model?

I’m a sucker for good marketing and while Rolex surely does a good job at this, I just feel that a lot of other brands are better at connecting with their customers on a personal level e.g Omega, Hublot etc….

I could seriously consider selling all my Rolexes and just settle for 1 great Blancpain or something of that nature….
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2016, 06:44 AM   #123
Porter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor....
Quote:
Thanks for all your comments and thoughts. This turned into a very interesting thread, and I get all of the different points and respect them ALL. Just to comment on a few things. I DON’T blame Rolex for evolving at all. I always expect Rolex to be ahead of the competition, I just don’t particularly like the way they have evolved. Todays Rolex is much more of a status symbol (at least for many non WIS) than it is a tool where form follows function. I guess the word that best explains how I think the new Gen. Rolexes feel (to me) is STERILE…. While that may work for others, it does not for me. That’s nothing against people who wear the new ones AT ALL. I would never judge someone based on the watch they wear – Nor do I care what other people think of the watches I wear. It’s entirely about the way I personally feel about the brand today, and subsequently about my own collection of watches. The fact that I don’t like the ceramic models is just a matter of personal taste, both in terms of aesthetics and functionality. I don’t like the look and, I don’t think that ceramic and glidelock are improvements – But again JUST my personal opinion. The point of the thread was just to ask if anyone else had experienced the feeling of becoming increasingly “disconnected” with the brand and loosing interest because they had perhaps been through most of the old models and couldn’t see themselves buying a new model?

I’m a sucker for good marketing and while Rolex surely does a good job at this, I just feel that a lot of other brands are better at connecting with their customers on a personal level e.g Omega, Hublot etc….

I could seriously consider selling all my Rolexes and just settle for 1 great Blancpain or something of that nature….
I nearly love all brands and Rolex models but I need to say now I'm more interested in vintage watches than modern. Rolex has amazing models actually disappeared and non popular too making me to be interested in the brand more than before!
I can understand your feelings but personally I cannot understand a watch collection without a Rolex!! He he
Sell all and buy a 5517!! Afterwards go for the Blancpain!!
Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2016, 08:57 AM   #124
Danex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I think each of us have a unique subjective relationship with the Rolex brand. Rolex evolves and innovates - and some may feel disenfranchised. Can't please everyone.
Most accept the ceramic bezel to be a technological improvement over aluminum on the SS models. Yet I don't like or agree for the PM models such the new Yacht-Master and the Daytona. To me, replacing a PM bezel with ceramic seems cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while driving down the interstate at 75 mph

116520 Cosmograph Daytona
116622 & 16622 Yacht-Master
114060 & 14060 Submariner
Danex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2016, 10:45 AM   #125
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
To the OP...it happens. Tastes change and evolve.....go with what you like. I know for me, as a young boy, I was drawn to Rolex and considered it to be the best. As I began acquiring and collecting watches, there were times I intentionally shyed away from Rolex in favor of lesser known brands. I think it made me feel cool and knowledgeable that I knew about these boutique names, because Rolex seemed so mainstream.
I am now at a point in the hobby where I once again feel Rolex is at the top...
The fun of the hobby is going with what you like and learning about different brands. I am now more confident than ever as to why Rolex has achieved such great success and sits firmly at the top of the watch world.
Are there brands which could be perceived as "better"? Of course, but there will always be that...just buy what you enjoy on your wrist
I had a similar feeling about Rolex a few years ago and that caused me to try many other brands for which I am very grateful and I had a great time experimenting but in the end quality and value will out and I came back to Rolex and how.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2016, 11:06 AM   #126
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
Phase III here.
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2016, 05:01 PM   #127
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Jst to add.

I was the opposite. I had the feeling of Rolex being too flash until a year ago.
Until that moment I kind of had something against Rolex. Too common, social status watch choice, too flashy............
but, hey, lots of other models are available and once I got my hands on one Rolex and started to realise how good they are. I belive Rolex caters for all tastes hence so many dial, bezel, metal options to choose from.....if older models are your preferance, lots of watches available on the market......
Old 16 February 2016, 04:32 AM   #128
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
Not that my example reflects on the OP, but it's funny when people show really great photos of their aluminum bezel Rolex and say things like "sometimes the light just hits it perfect!", I always wanna be like, if it were ceramic the light would hit it perfect all the time lol. :)
That's my thread you're referencing and disparaging, and if you'd bothered to read my sig you'd see that in addition to the SD I own a ceramic GMT II, so I'm rather well aware of the appearance of ceramic in various forms of light--which doesn't detract from the beauty of the classic SD in any way, shape, or form.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2016, 05:47 AM   #129
iim7v7im7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Less each year...
My journey to Rolex has been somewhat circuitous. Earlier in my watch collecting days, I disregarded the virtues of Rolex and its watch offerings. I thought them to be high-volume manufacture watches whose success was based on a monolithic marketing machine and controlled distribution channel. To my arrogant way of thinking, brand conscious, watch naive consumers were who bought Rolex watches. I focused on low volume, hand finished watches which exemplified "high watchmaking".

The funny thing is, about 4-5 years ago after having some mileage under my belt in watch collecting, I began to give their watch offerings an in depth look. What I found when I looked was the design and quality of their offerings were truly excellent. About 4-years ago, I bought my first Rolex a Yachtmaster (116622). It was a fantastic watch in every regard. Then about 3-years ago, I purchased a second Rolex, a Submariner Date (116610LN). Again, a fantastic watch in every regard. What I have found is gone are my watches Blancpain, Breguet, Chronoswiss, Glashutte Original, IWC, Jacquet Droz, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Patek Philippe and Ulysse Nardin.

What I have kept is a APRO 15400, a BP FF Bathyscaphe Chrono and a trusty Rolex Sub Date. Now when faced with my next purchase, what am I buying? A Rolex DD 40mm (228239) of course. In the end, yes Rolex is a manufacturing giant, a marketing force and a company who strictly controls its distribution channel. But they also make robust, beautifully designed and engineered, high quality watches. So in the end, I am convinced that two types of buyers buy Rolex watches. Those who know know absolutely nothing about watches AND those who know everything!

My $.02
Old 16 February 2016, 11:07 AM   #130
Gnomon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7v7im7 View Post
So in the end, I am convinced that two types of buyers buy Rolex watches. Those who know know absolutely nothing about watches AND those who know everything!
This.

I've come full-circle, too.
Old 16 February 2016, 03:32 PM   #131
Ckci
"TRF" Member

Watch: FedEx 4 next 1
My sense is that you have a chip on your shoulder for some reason and that your feelings about Rolex watches is just a symptom of some bigger issue. Personally, I have all the new ones that currently interest me. I love aluminum and ceramic. Currently I'm more interested in adding vintage pieces but again that's mostly because I already own the new ones I'm interested in at this time. If you basically despise all of your Rolex watches it is silly to keep them.
Ckci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2016, 07:21 PM   #132
Stuxnet
Banned

I don't like the modern Rolex watches because they are bigger, more square, and have ceramic bezels. But I still like them better than all other brands with the exception of Patek.

That being said, perhaps I'm in the minority. Rolex still sells every watch it makes, is still one of the most recognizable brands, is the epitome of an aspirational purchase, and still makes quality products. Quite clearly, they are doing a lot of things right, even if they don't please the tastes of an aging old fart such as myself. They already took my $$$ and are unlikely to get any more from me, so good job refining the product and marketing and selling to the rest of the potential customers who matter.
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2016, 08:33 PM   #133
COMPLICATIONS
"TRF" Member

I think that ceramic as a material is a fantastic technical move forward. A different issue is the one of size. In a marketplace producing bigger and bigger watches to pander to modern fashions rolex were between a rock and a hard place and have had to move with the times.
Some of their new design cues are spot on (face of the new explorer II with fat hands and steve mcqueen pointer) but in my view some are a little inelegant for example do the horns really need to be that thick?? half a mil off would be better. Rolex is known for the quality of it's engineering and they have lost some of that engineering integrity with their current trend of just piling on more metal for no reason other than fashion.

I'm an engineer and I remember a famous lecturer of mine used to say "anyone can design a bridge that will stand, but it takes a talented engineer to design a bridge that will JUST stand"

Look at the Eiffel tower, melt it down into a square the same size as it's footprint and the steel used in its construction would be just four inches high!

If the current Rolex fashion designers were tasked with designing a MKII Eiffel tower
how fat and ugly (ie over engineered) do you think its legs would be!!
COMPLICATIONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2016, 01:29 AM   #134
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
Interesting observations, Complications. And thanks for sharing that great line from the lecture. I agree with him and with the de Saint Exupery notion that less is more. That said, I don't personally feel the newer models are unnecessarily over engineered. They have lovely lines of their own. Just like the bevelled edges and thinner crown guards of the earlier references have great lines as well. They're all beautiful timepieces to my eyes.
SeaAndSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2016, 02:50 AM   #135
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
That's why I have 95% vintage watches. No reason to give up on these, they are soaring in value. You have something special that nobody can go out and plunk down some cash and get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2016, 03:20 AM   #136
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Anyone else ever experience this, or am I just going slowly out of my mind?
I think you're going out of your mind. It sounds to me that you are letting a perceived stereotype of a wonderful brand get in the way of enjoying what otherwise could be very amazing watches. You, along with many do not like the newer ceramic bezels as much as the older aluminum and that’s 100% OK! However, I would recommend not letting yourself fall in the trap of other people’s feelings or opinions get in the way of you enjoying your watches! You bought them for a reason right?

You are certainly not alone in your feelings. I know for sure that many, including myself have questioned our connection with Rolex as a brand and wondered if it was still a brand we want to be associated with. I think most true watch connoisseurs are able to break past those thoughts and continue to appreciate Rolex for what they are – a great watch company with an even greater history.

Good luck and I hope you stick it out!
Old 20 May 2017, 02:32 AM   #137
abs4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Admitted, I am not a fan of the new generation ceramic Rolexes. For me they are all show and not much go to be honest. Far to flashy and “new money” ‘esque and they have actually kind of turned me off Rolex all together. I have several of the old pre-ceramic Rolexes and I Love them for what they are/were, but I find myself feeling more and more disconnected with Rolex because of the new gen. ceramic models. I don’t know what it is, but for some reason the new models and what they represent to me, deeply affects my feelings towards my older models and the brand all together. I don’t feel like selling my pieces, but then again I don’t really feel like wearing them either because of what they represent today in terms of the direction Rolex has taken. Additionally I really dislike the new designs, hence for me there are no new pieces that are really desirable other than maybe the new Cellini collection so its really difficult to maintain the same level of interest in the brand

These days I find myself looking more and more in the direction of smaller and relatively unknown brands, because I like the thought of wearing something that is not as flash as a Rolex.

Anyone else ever experience this, or am I just going slowly out of my mind?

Which brands have you found so far?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk Pro
abs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 07:17 PM   #138
BawlaDK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800 Submariner
Just over 1 year later I no longer own any Rolexes. Everything has been sold/traded off and I now only have 2 Audemars Piguet watches in my collection..

For me personally I completely disconnected with the brand and today I have no desire to own a Rolex watch again. But I still enjoy reading this forum as there is much valuable info and I can still get exited for other people who get their first/new Rolex, although I dont personally want one any longer...

Just a quick follow up
BawlaDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 09:20 PM   #139
Oscarpapa
"TRF" Member

Interesting to see you have followed up on the feelings stated in your post.I can empathize as I have transitioned to Tudor for many of the reasons you have stated.
Oscarpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 09:32 PM   #140
SubMarine
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16610
I felt the same way and had a vintage Seiko phase for awhile. I recently purchased a 16610 to rekindle my Rolex hobby.
SubMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 09:34 PM   #141
challer
"TRF" Member

With respect, my GMTIIc is superior in every way to the model it proceeded. More rugged, more durable. The flash is no different. Same for my other Rolex’. And all the PM watches were never anything but luxuary from the beginning. It’s the buyers s (us) who’ve lost our way. More st seem to clamor for new watches whose complications they’ll never use. Buying for looks overs function. In this day and age, even SS watches are more jewelry than function.
challer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 10:01 PM   #142
Oscarpapa
"TRF" Member

You are certainly right in that modern Rolexs are now luxury jewellery items and for me too blingy. Add in the fact that i do not like bracelets and you can see I am on a 'hiding to nothing' with modern Rolexs haha. Hence. my next watch is going to be a Tudor Black Bay 58 on leather. Just my musings!
Old 22 May 2018, 10:32 PM   #143
MrInternational
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 (126300-0007)
Quote:
Just over 1 year later I no longer own any Rolexes. Everything has been sold/traded off and I now only have 2 Audemars Piguet watches in my collection..

For me personally I completely disconnected with the brand and today I have no desire to own a Rolex watch again. But I still enjoy reading this forum as there is much valuable info and I can still get exited for other people who get their first/new Rolex, although I dont personally want one any longer...

Just a quick follow up

It’s interesting after reading your first post that you’ve ended up with two APs. To me they are in the same direction that caused you to lose interest in Rolex... appreciate your openness in sharing, thank you!

MrInternational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 11:01 PM   #144
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

There have been many threads on when Rolex transitioned from tools to jewelry. Always interesting to hear everyone’s perspective. I think it happened some time in the 1980s.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 11:07 PM   #145
BawlaDK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by challer View Post
With respect, my GMTIIc is superior in every way to the model it proceeded. More rugged, more durable. The flash is no different. Same for my other Rolex’. And all the PM watches were never anything but luxuary from the beginning. It’s the buyers s (us) who’ve lost our way. More st seem to clamor for new watches whose complications they’ll never use. Buying for looks overs function. In this day and age, even SS watches are more jewelry than function.
I respectfully disagree…. Like I have stated before, I dont see a ceramic bezel as an improvement and I have seen numerous defective clasps on the newer models, with glidelock function jamming and the opening function coming completely out of the clasp… Add to that the PCL’s which to me is just not attractive (Given the CAN be brushed at basically no cost)… I do agree that solid links is a huge improvement but to me that’s about the only thing that has improved on the GMT…..

As for my direction into AP…. I have always LOVED to RO design. I had the new 15202 and loved it but parted ways with it to finance a Patek 5960, which I thought was a keeper. But the I came a cross a MINT 5402 that I could get at a very attractive tradeprice. This to me is THE Royal Oak to have. Add to that the fact that it was sold 5 months after I was born and you have something that to me is very special. So I traded the last of my Rolexes for it and was suddently left with the 5402 and the PP 5960… The Patek was really a watch I had a lot of love for as I feel that for the money it’s the best patek value prop – hands down. But ultimately I could never collect Patek as I don’t really like any of the other models. Nautilus does nothing for me. And for me there can only ever be ONE Jumbo….
So I decided to keep the 5402 – yet I knew that this could never work as a “one watch”…. And my love for AP has just grown… Therefore I recently traded the 5960 for an AP 15707 CE (Ceramic Diver) and I feel like the 5402 and the 15707 is a good match… Patek is just not for me I suppose, and neither is Rolex anymore. I don’t see that changing.

The ultimate goal however is to land a MINT AP ROO 25721 blue dial… Matching that with a 5402 and you have two watches that probably had the largest impacts on watch designing – period. I would love a 2 watch duo like that. Gerald Genta and Emmanuel Gueit….
BawlaDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 11:12 PM   #146
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
Just get rid of the "flash / bling" of the ceramic bezel. Send it to LAWW like I did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1(1).jpg (234.2 KB, 119 views)
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 11:18 PM   #147
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I respectfully disagree…. Like I have stated before, I dont see a ceramic bezel as an improvement … Therefore I recently traded the 5960 for an AP 15707 CE (Ceramic Diver)
You don't like ceramic inserts on the new models but you're fine with an AP made entirely of ceramic? How do you justify the latter over the former?

That AP is a great reference so I'm genuinely curious about your rationale between the two.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 11:19 PM   #148
Oscarpapa
"TRF" Member

Very nice. Is that just the original ceramic sanded or whatever process to achieve a matt finish.
Old 22 May 2018, 11:21 PM   #149
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInternational View Post
It’s interesting after reading your first post that you’ve ended up with two APs. To me they are in the same direction that caused you to lose interest in Rolex... appreciate your openness in sharing, thank you!

Have to agree. The RO and (especially) ROO take flash to the next level. Beautiful watches though (just like Rolex).

Whatever floats one's boat.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 11:28 PM   #150
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

It's like people who resisted netflix, they preferred going to Blockbuster. Many cited the 'feeling' of going into a video store, etc.

That's all gone now, and everyone moved on.

I think Rolex watches evolved into modernity quite well. I think they'd be overtaken by the liked of Omega, had they not responded to market changes.

Even Patek Philippe, AP and Vacheron have responded. From the new overseas lines, to PP's sport watches (and their 40, and 42mm sizes, hell that orange Aquanaut Chorno is a perfect example).

Compared to other top players, Rolex has done a great job at staying true to their brand.
watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote