The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 May 2018, 12:41 PM   #91
Bobby T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
I don’t agree with you calling me a dummy. Time will tell. But I can say I have confirmed this with three different trusted sources. This is a mix of AD’s and Grey Market dealers. Enjoy the name calling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I never called you a dummy.........I was simply referring to what you said in your post. I find the post ridiculous, that's all. A person isn't a dummy just because they write something silly.........
Old 22 May 2018, 01:37 PM   #92
avega357
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT's BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
All true. Standard stuff in UK which is a year ahead of the US, and will be global policy soon.
I believe it, but difficult to enforce, I have always been sure they track clients.

You want to know your customers , this is normal
Old 22 May 2018, 02:08 PM   #93
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was at an AD over the weekend discussing the shortage. They pointed out a few things Rolex is doing to stop re-sellers.

1. A person can only purchase one model of watch (for instance one SD43, one sub, one Daytona, etc) in a lifetime. If they want to purchase another one a police report or insurance statement must be provided demonstrating that the watch was damaged or stolen.
2. Rolex is talking to certain dealers to identify habitual flippers and recommending banning sales to them.
3. They are tracking purchasers, not just the name on the warranty cards.

I am not sure if this applies to all dealers or just the large chains.

I thought we were done with the “my AD said” threads for a while..... well, I was wrong!!
Old 22 May 2018, 02:11 PM   #94
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
Quote:
I was at an AD over the weekend discussing the shortage. They pointed out a few things Rolex is doing to stop re-sellers.

1. A person can only purchase one model of watch (for instance one SD43, one sub, one Daytona, etc) in a lifetime. If they want to purchase another one a police report or insurance statement must be provided demonstrating that the watch was damaged or stolen.
2. Rolex is talking to certain dealers to identify habitual flippers and recommending banning sales to them.
3. They are tracking purchasers, not just the name on the warranty cards.

I am not sure if this applies to all dealers or just the large chains.
Someone was drinking during this conversation.
Old 22 May 2018, 02:12 PM   #95
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuilln View Post
op : Do you really believe all this crap?
+1
Old 22 May 2018, 02:18 PM   #96
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Is it safe to wear a Rolex while talking to an AD spewing total nonsense?
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Old 22 May 2018, 02:18 PM   #97
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone1983 View Post
gotta have watch control. Universal background checks
The answer!
Old 22 May 2018, 04:25 PM   #98
rolexryan329
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Operator: "911, whats your emergency?"
AD: "yes, I have a customer willing to buy this Rolex Submariner but we suspect he's bought one in the past and we just need to clarify it hasn't been damaged"
Operator: "..."
Old 22 May 2018, 06:48 PM   #99
TeddyS
"TRF" Member

Watch: sea-dweller 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
x3

The responses to these threads are often hilarious (and sadly sometimes quite condescending, particularly from those who clearly must have missed the significant number of threads on here evidencing what is really happening)

I look forward to all the naysayers apologising to the OP in due course

X4. Couldn’t have put it better if I tried. I tip my hat to you Sir.

Old 22 May 2018, 07:39 PM   #100
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyz1245 View Post
They are not controlling supply. The spike in demand from the booming global economy caught them off guard and they are were unable to meet demand. The swiss watch industry including Rolex were coming off 2 huge down years. 2017 caught them all by surprise.
Yes ofc demand has gone thru the roof to create this thing from QE, Crypto, Chinese Gift laws etc, but not so for Omega, Breitling etc so the key point remains, Rolex and PP will probably be immune to changes in the economy by and large, and how things were 2/3 years ago was just fine for Rolex so they are not fearful of going back there.

But they are more fearful of a fundamental future change in the watch industry that sees it shrink down to just a few household names and clearly Rolex will be the leading one so their position is secure. However Rolex still have a lot of pride and as I said they will fight the commoditisation of their hard won brand and product until the death, and so if they annoy flaky customers now, who are basically announcing themselves as flippers, they have not a care, they only want true buyers who will stay loyal to the brand in the difficult times ahead.

As for output, if the watch market shrinks Rolex might halve their output to 500,000 watches or less depending on how far it shrinks, so that means they can lose half their genuine, once every five years or a decade customers, so that is not really an issue, they don't need to keep 1 million happy, so brand protection now is the absolute priority.
Old 22 May 2018, 07:45 PM   #101
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyS View Post
X4. Couldn’t have put it better if I tried. I tip my hat to you Sir.

Americans, as ever, are always late to things, but they'll get there.
Old 22 May 2018, 08:04 PM   #102
TeddyS
"TRF" Member

Watch: sea-dweller 126600
Quote:

It just never fails to astound me the level of vitriol in these replies. Especially considering that people on the this forum are generally more senior in their years. At 37 I’m a spring chicken in here, but you would never see me running people down, name calling and abusing other members, especially not based on a difference of opinion. It’s all a bit pathetic

Old 22 May 2018, 09:59 PM   #103
dmash
"TRF" Member

I don’t know what’s funnier. The AD saying this or you believing it. Lol, when I’m on vacation and go into an AD, they don’t card me prior to purchasing.

This may be applicable to waiting list models, at an AD/all ADs under an umbrella.....but you’re crazy if you think this will happen for the entire lineup and worldwide. The ADs are absolutely, 100% without a doubt, not interconnected in this manner.
Old 22 May 2018, 10:06 PM   #104
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Seems like an odd rule for those who buy father/son or Mother/Daughter etc. type purchases.

I will ask my AD next time I’m there.
Old 22 May 2018, 10:33 PM   #105
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Except for the desk at which a sense of entitlement was being handed out. First in the queue for that, for sure

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Old 22 May 2018, 10:50 PM   #106
Oscarpapa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Except for the desk at which a sense of entitlement was being handed out. First in the queue for that, for sure
Haha. I suppose a sense of entitlement is understandable for a nation that has never been under the threat of invasion in recent history and the world's most powerful nation used to flexing its muscles to get what it wants.
Old 22 May 2018, 11:04 PM   #107
Fisi
"TRF" Member

Things are getting quite extreme in the UK now. I can also attest to that.

Waitlists are one thing, and we all know the pros and cons, but when it's reached the point of 1 per lifetime limits you have to wonder how Rolex justify that to themselves from a business perspective.

Madness.
Old 22 May 2018, 11:11 PM   #108
tjfslaughter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisi View Post
Things are getting quite extreme in the UK now. I can also attest to that.

Waitlists are one thing, and we all know the pros and cons, but when it's reached the point of 1 per lifetime limits you have to wonder how Rolex justify that to themselves from a business perspective.

Madness.

It was my understanding of the conversation that dealers are not supposed to sell multiple SS Daytona's, SD43's, SS Skydwellers to the same person out of the same store or group of stores. Basically they want to reduce the amount of guys that are buying up the very high demand watches for the sole intention of flipping.
Old 22 May 2018, 11:13 PM   #109
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
It was my understanding of the conversation that dealers are not supposed to sell multiple SS Daytona's, SD43's, SS Skydwellers to the same person out of the same store or group of stores. Basically they want to reduce the amount of guys that are buying up the very high demand watches for the sole intention of flipping.

That - at least sounds more sensical.

Old 22 May 2018, 11:16 PM   #110
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is believable. If not the same AD/group of ADs it’s flat out impossible, as I stated earlier. They’re not going to search in their Rolexedex 5000 and find my previous purchases from across the world.
Old 22 May 2018, 11:22 PM   #111
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think this is more like it. 800K-1M units a year will dwindle quick if policy like this is enacted. Rolex wants the spread the focus onto DJ's, YM's, PM models, etc.. The frenzy created in the last 3 years over Daytona, SkyD, and Pepsi is exactly what Rolex wants. This alone protects the brand and will contribute to stronger sales for lesser popular models. Expect Basel 2019 to likely have a model that no one will be able to get again. No way I want to buy two DD's and the answer will be no.
Old 22 May 2018, 11:32 PM   #112
korneevy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, RLX, BP
Yawn. Not this "AD says blah" again, right? It's all speculation, hearsay, and in most cases, blatant lies/nonsense. It would have been very simple, for Rolex, to kill most of "industry-grade" greys out there who get their stock via well-oiled back-door selling by ADs --> just raise the bloody prices to what the market is showing to be the right level of increase on MRRP, one and done. Individual flippers who get lucky and collect their second Sub this year hoping to make $1-1.5K will also naturally fade away, even though I think they are making a tiny % of the grey seller stocks. As long as they are not willing to do that, there will be speculation and grey market will continue to thrive.
Old 23 May 2018, 01:38 AM   #113
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
Rolex is not going to punish their clients for their grey market problems. The problem is some of their AD selling stock to grey market dealers to up their profit margins. It's up to Rolex to find the culprits and automatically revoke their Rolex AD license when found guilty. I am troubled to see many of the new 2018 offering on grey market dealer sites rather than AD's.

my second point is the fact that most of us on this forum feed the problem that we actually want Rolex to fix, which is buy from grey market dealers a.k.a "trusted dealers", especially for new watches. Obviously buying watches that Rolex no longer offers (older model) is fair.
Old 23 May 2018, 02:05 AM   #114
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
This is believable. If not the same AD/group of ADs it’s flat out impossible, as I stated earlier. They’re not going to search in their Rolexedex 5000 and find my previous purchases from across the world.
It will not only be flat out possible, it will be extremely simple if all ADs have to have their local geographical Rolex "head office" pre-approve sales of hot references.

Its a simple database check. Every time you buy a watch, Rolex USA or Rolex UK or Rolex (wherever) gets sent a note of purchaser name, address, DOB and details of the reference purchased.

Of course, that database would require to be created, but its not even remotely difficult to put it into operation.

Old 23 May 2018, 02:07 AM   #115
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It will not only be flat out possible, it will be extremely simple if all ADs have to have their local geographical Rolex "head office" pre-approve sales of hot references.

Its a simple database check. Every time you buy a watch, Rolex USA or Rolex UK or Rolex (wherever) gets sent a note of purchaser name, address, DOB and details of the reference purchased.

Of course, that database would require to be created, but its not even remotely difficult to put it into operation.
Have you had to divulge said information with every Rolex purchase? AND use your identification card/passport to verify it’s legitimacy?

I haven’t, and that makes me feel weird to do so. Plus, I know people who have burner phones and don’t like any type of money trail, ESPECIALLY for larger purchases. They’re not going to fill out an info form like they’re going to the doctor, every time they want a Rolex. Walk into a vacation AD to buy a Rolex ‘excuse me sir, I’ll need to run a mandatory internal background check prior to getting this processed’. Lol no.
Old 23 May 2018, 02:19 AM   #116
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Have you had to divulge said information with every Rolex purchase?
Every Rolex purchase? Of course not I've been wearing Rolex watches for nearly 30 years

But when I bought my SD43 last September, however, I was asked for additional info.

Edit - to answer your edit.

My AD knows me. I paid with a credit card which evidences my ID.

We have anti money laundering laws in the UK. Any purchase over £8,770 made in cash legally requires full identity checks to be carried out. Photo ID and proof of address. Germany has the same laws - they are Europe wide. I would have thought you'd have known this from your profile?

Burner phones (easily identifiable) and large amounts of cash suggests "criminal" here. Burner phone, large amounts of cash and refusal to give information screams criminal.

Anyone trying to buy a watch with a burner phone and avoiding a money trail is likely to be considered high risk and politely asked to leave the AD (without the watch). There are plenty of other purchasers waiting in line for these high demand references who will be happy to provide that info.

So, er, yes. Its easily doable, easily managed and easily "policed"

Old 23 May 2018, 02:20 AM   #117
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Discussion with a AD

Quote:
Have you had to divulge said information with every Rolex purchase? AND use your identification card/passport to verify it’s legitimacy?

I haven’t, and that makes me feel weird to do so. Plus, I know people who have burner phones and don’t like any type of money trail, ESPECIALLY for larger purchases. They’re not going to fill out an info form like they’re going to the doctor, every time they want a Rolex. Walk into a vacation AD to buy a Rolex ‘excuse me sir, I’ll need to run a mandatory internal background check prior to getting this processed’. Lol no.

Furthermore — if the (above) stated information was collected and stored — and was ever lost or compromised you’ve set yourself up for a BIG lawsuit.

Old 23 May 2018, 02:21 AM   #118
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
Furthermore — if the (above) stated information was collected and stored — and was ever lost or compromised you’ve set yourself up for a BIG lawsuit.

Precisely.

Other luxury brands give you the option of handing out your info, for ease of looking up past purchases/receipts, promo material, etc. but for a brand to say it’s MANDATORY you offer this info and we will verify it against your ID to ensure it’s accuracy....that’s an entirely different thing.
Old 23 May 2018, 02:31 AM   #119
tjfslaughter
Banned

Quote:
Every Rolex purchase? Of course not I'be been wearing Rolex watches for nearly 30 years

But when I bought my SD43 last September, however, I was asked for additional info.

They recorded my address, phone number and drivers license info for an SD43 purchase.

Old 23 May 2018, 02:32 AM   #120
EDL7
"TRF" Member

What happens if your Daytona gets robbed...?
Rolex's response.."You should have hired a good bodyguard...you can't have another one..until next lifetime..you are going to reincarnate aren't you..? You can get it then...but it will be more expensive ..lol..".
Closed Thread