The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 January 2016, 10:20 AM   #31
bigwatchman
"TRF" Member

Your pics make me miss my old Seamaster. Sold it to fund a Sub. I don't and never have missed the Sub. I'd take another Seamaster any day.
Luminox Field Watch Day-Date
Casio G-Shock Analog/Chrono
bigwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2016, 11:02 AM   #32
Stew7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex
I'm also in the 'keep the 2254.50' boat. I actually was in the same position as you and was eager for a new 114060 but simply couldn't give up my 2254. It was my first "nice" watch and I wore it daily for about 7 years. It's well built and it kept very good time. I waited a little longer and added the Sub. I love the Sub but still slip that SMP on more often these days.

These 2254s are getting harder to find in good condition but there will always be nice 16610s out there if you choose to wait.
Stew7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2016, 11:37 AM   #33
Classique Breguet
2024 Pledge Member

I had the same question

My answer:

Keep both when able :)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2254 vs 16610.jpg (77.4 KB, 126 views)
Classique Breguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 04:25 AM   #34
jaime4022
"TRF" Member

This is a very old post and I'm certain the decision has been made, but I will give my opinion in case someone else is going through the same process. I've never owned a 16610, but I have been around them plenty of times, as my cousin owns one, as well as several friends. I did own a SD4000 116600 and currently own a 116610LV as well as a Seamaster Electric Blue, the bezel of which I have upgraded to that of a blue Seamaster 25.31.80. Now, while I won't sit here and argue that the Seamaster is the better watch (especially when compared to the newer ceramic versions of the Submariner), the seamaster is certainly not that far behind, and certainly it isn't 4 or five times the lesser watch, certainly when compared to the older versions of the Sub. When comparing it to a 16610, I would say that the sub's bezel is better, the movement slightly better (although in real life, they can both be equally accurate), but the seamster's bracelet is superior to the oyster, legibility and lume are a lot better with the Seamaster as well because of the beautiful sword hands as opposed to the raggedy thin hands of the Sub which at times appear to be too small for the dial. To me (and this is entirely subjective) the dial of my electric blue is more beautiful and special than that of any 16610 and I absolutely am mesmerized by it every time i look at it. I also dislike the cyclops in the sub every bit as much as some people (not me) dislike the HE valve in the seamaster. I also believe that the casework of the seamaster is far more detailed and beautiful than the plain looking oyster case which from the sides has always made me feel like rolex doesn't care to put any effort in making. The sub is a classic, but the seamaster certainly is not slouch! I would never part from my LV, but believe me, I will never get rid of my Seamaster, especially when these models are no longer in production. It will forever be a classic. Do not sell it to purchase the Sub. Keep both
jaime4022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 04:35 AM   #35
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
I think you'll notice a big difference in the feel of the watch on. Bracelets on 5-digit subs were rather flimsy feeling compared to your Omega. I purchased a Seamaster Professional in 1998 and would not trade it for a 5-digit Sub. Or a 6-digit Sub for that matter.

Edit: Ugh... 2 year old thread. Nevermind.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 04:38 AM   #36
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Beautiful Seamaster, i would keep it and save
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 04:46 AM   #37
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerticalHorizon View Post
Hello everyone.
I have a chance to pick up a 16610, but if I do, I will have to let go of my 2254.50 Omega.

Just wondering if anyone here who has/had both.
Will I regret it? I love the 2254.50 to bits, but I've wanted the 16610 for a long time.

Here's my 2254.50

Love these. The mid-size quartz version was my first proper watch when I was 17. With the prices where they're currently at I'll never buy one knowing I could have got one for less than half a few years ago. My advice is to keep it and save up the knock off price you'd get against the Subby. Besides, you'll miss the lume.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 10:51 PM   #38
polarinda
"TRF" Member

Watch: it
that 2254.5 runs circles around the sub.
polarinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 10:54 PM   #39
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I like omega, but not this model. I can’t get past the hands and markers. For me, just puts me off. If it was between the 16610 and new seamaster, toss up. In this case, sub wins.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote