The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 February 2016, 11:20 PM   #31
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
Well I totally disagree with the new models not being improved. Rolex is a brand just like others where they need to continue to move forward and innovate. I couldn't be happier that they have changed and grown over the years instead of staying the exact same like some here would like.
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2016, 11:31 PM   #32
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
personally, I like them all.

however, I have never made a secret of the fact that I do not like what Rolex "represents".

while many on this site appreciate the history, build quality, aesthetics and more, there are many more on this site that buy the brand simply because they want a "rollie".

I like watches. I have always liked watches. And Rolex is the brand it is, because of the amazing watches they produce.

but sadly, in my view, to most, the watch itself is secondary to the fact that they are wearing the worlds most widely recognized luxury brand.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2016, 11:33 PM   #33
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

No way to get the stats. But would be interesting to see (over the same time period duration. ) How many aluminum bezels have been scratched vs how many ceramic bezels have been shattered.

But one difference is one can live with an eyesore of a scratched bezel, but once a bezel shatters you must replace it.

As for the cost. Ceramic cost more but aluminum bezels on the secondary market are not cheap either. Not sure you can find an oem bezel for under 100. Often north of $200. Up to $600 for an LV.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2016, 11:36 PM   #34
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Well you are this first I have heard criticize the glidelock. You really do hate the new ones

Kind of ironic your name being bawla and all.

I like my pateks because most people don't know what they are but I still appreciate my rolex for thier timeless aesthetic, rigid build quality and excellent accuracy.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2016, 11:40 PM   #35
daswann
"TRF" Member

I always thought just wearing a Rolex period was being flashy. If you don't want to stand out get a basic Seiko (top quality and nobody will notice).
daswann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2016, 11:45 PM   #36
pd999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daswann View Post
If you don't want to stand out get a basic Seiko (top quality and nobody will notice).
Or maybe a Grand Seiko?
pd999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2016, 11:51 PM   #37
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I use Uber and like ceramic Rolexes. Things evolve.

Having said that, there are plenty of five digit models floating around for those that prefer them. Plenty of options for all!

KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2016, 12:04 AM   #38
anothernewphone
Banned

Watch: 116520
I can certainly see why interest would fade after a while, especially after you've collected a few models that you love. For me, it's not that I'd go buy "unknown brands," it's that I'd step up to others like AP and Patek. I don't think I could find a reason to take off my Daytona and put on some random watch with an ETA movement.
anothernewphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2016, 12:08 AM   #39
RXAPPP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5
I have 2 modern Rolex 1 of which has a ceramic bezel. I don't see them as flashy but instead an evolution of the product. That said I do not like the stereotype they attract or in many cases some of the negatives they bring out in certain people. In addition to that they are some of the most boringly bland watches out there.

All that said, if you stay true into yourself and appreciate the history and the watches for what they are namely Bullet proof, liquid assets that will be in style forever and ever I don't think it matters what bezel they have
RXAPPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2016, 12:26 AM   #40
mapalfa
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the grass grow
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
...I have never made a secret of the fact that I do not like what Rolex "represents"...while many on this site appreciate the history, build quality, aesthetics and more, there are many more on this site that buy the brand simply because they want a "rollie"....to most, the watch itself is secondary to the fact that they are wearing the worlds most widely recognized luxury brand.
It's the I want a Rolex rapper/pointless air-wasting celeb/fake wearing/wannabee that's made me go for an older model. I don't care if people realise it's a Rolex. I know I'm wearing a great quality watch and that's what matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd999 View Post
Or maybe a Grand Seiko?
I can think of watch forums far less mature than this one where a comment about Grand Seiko, on a thread about Rolex, could well end up in warnings and even bans.

One thing I really do love about this forum is that discussions don't end up in the more established members attacking newer ones, and those they've got a beef with, at the slightest excuse.
mapalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2016, 12:31 AM   #41
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

i think the right cut-off point for your "new money"/"show off" concern when talking about rolex is somewhere in the early-to-mid-1980s with the so-called yuppies. not the ceramics.

and in, any case, it has little to nothing to do with what rolex does, other than rolex producing a quality luxury product at a price to which many can aspire.

for me, i try to focus on the watch and what it does for me, not what others think or what i think others think of me.

Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2016, 12:42 AM   #42
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapalfa View Post
It's the I want a Rolex rapper/pointless air-wasting celeb/fake wearing/wannabee that's made me go for an older model. I don't care if people realise it's a Rolex. I know I'm wearing a great quality watch and that's what matters.

I can think of watch forums far less mature than this one where a comment about Grand Seiko, on a thread about Rolex, could well end up in warnings and even bans.

One thing I really do love about this forum is that discussions don't end up in the more established members attacking newer ones, and those they've got a beef with, at the slightest excuse.

Fwiw, I barely even wear my Rolex watches these days.

And when I do, it's a 5 digit reference.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2016, 12:56 AM   #43
nick c
Banned

I'm also not a big fan of the ceramic
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2016, 01:01 AM   #44
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Rob View Post
Yeah, kinda but not to your extreme. I do agree that most of the new models, ceramic in particular don't really do it for me. Which is why I don't own a modern Rolex. However, I don't despise the brand for their current direction. Nor does it make me like my pieces less. I like them more now actually.

Not sure if I'm following your "show" and no "go". They are one of the most established brands who are known for consistently making simple robust and reliable movements.

Have they lost their way from their tool watch roots? I think they have a bit. (which I think is what you're getting at) But unlike many other brands in their tier, they have remained fairly conservative with their upgrades and kept the line-up's DNA pretty much intact.
I agree with you completely. I much prefer my older models (a Y series GMT-II, 2 TT DJ's from the 1980's and a YG DD from th '70's) to any of the newer models, although I wouldn't mind having a DD 40 with white dial and Romans, but not at today's prices.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2016, 01:07 AM   #45
pd999
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This forum seems much more tolerant of ALL watch brands
It's the reason why I've come back here after a gap of 9 years!
I wish I hadn't wasted typing thousands of posts at those 'other places'!

pd999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2016, 01:07 AM   #46
artschool
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
OP, I get where you are coming from. I will never dive with my DSSD. Rolex has lost their way when it comes to designing an actual watch for real use. It reminds me of the Sat diver that had used a 16600 for years and switched to the 116660 and had problems with it from the start. The bezel insert is glued on and the bezel is held-on with a plastic ring. No thank you.

If I had my way, Rolex would make me a 16600 with a plexiglass crystal, and fixed lug bars.
as a none diving person (apart from my padi) what problems would happen with the glue and plastic ring? i am guessing you think it might come loose?

be interesting to hear what you think.
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2016, 01:09 AM   #47
Micha
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263, 1675
I am not a huge fan of the C models either, however, that makes me appreciate my 4 and 5 digit models even more. That being said, the glidelock clasp is a serious improvement in my book and a blue DSSD is on my wish list...
Old 2 February 2016, 01:19 AM   #48
Nsx_23
"TRF" Member

I don't mind them using ceramic and more modern materials, but some current Rolex designs leaves me a little cold.

Lucky so many older models are out there on the market; something for everyone.

Quote:
BUT, at the watches have got flashier, so have the people who wear them for the image and not for the watch themselves.
I once had someone wearing a sub ask me why the bezel on my sub wasn't lined up at 12 o'clock and, as a result, was my watch fake.

Yeah.....
Nsx_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2016, 01:29 AM   #49
MattyL147
"TRF" Member

As the old saying goes...buy what you like.
MattyL147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2016, 01:41 AM   #50
silverbullet818
"TRF" Member

Rolex, flashy?! You don't say. No way.

I never thought being the world's most recognizable luxury brand would make Rolex 'flashy' ;)
silverbullet818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2016, 01:52 AM   #51
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
It's sometimes nice to reminisce about the good ol' days and how rugged things used to be but the future is inexorable. I've been known to whip out a pocket watch once in a while. Having said that, there are plenty of older models still available for those who don't like or won't embrace the direction Rolex is taking.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2016, 02:00 AM   #52
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
I have been into watches for the last decade so probably considered a novice to some of you guys. I got bit by the Rolex bug about a year ago and have since purchased two a vintage sub and a new sub. Looking at both they do have there own style and beauty I think it really comes down to personal taste. A lot of people don't like the new ceramic inserts because they are to flashy or the solid links are to heavy and thats okay. On the other hand there are people that do like a little extra weight and the flashy shiny inserts. There is a lot out there on both sides of the fence ... New or vintage personally I love both.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2016, 02:18 AM   #53
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

I've really enjoyed all the posted comments so far. There's a lot to be said for "Rolex as a fetish object", especially among "vintage guys" like me. I'm not about to go in the water with my red Sub. But it's cool to see the innovations and styling changes in the new models. I love my Black Bay, but I'm still shopping for a blue snowflake with a date. Some of us own things that are not the newest, the shiniest, the most innovative because they express what we feel is an ideal. I love the Omega 751, I think this was one of the best day-date automatic production movements ever made, and one of the least appreciated, because it came out right at the beginning of the quartz revolution. There's something about being state-of-the-art in a given era that makes an item desirable, whether or not it can be used for its intended purpose in the present era.
Old 2 February 2016, 03:17 AM   #54
UncleSwiss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP
Quote:

however, I have never made a secret of the fact that I do not like what Rolex "represents".

while many on this site appreciate the history, build quality, aesthetics and more, there are many more on this site that buy the brand simply because they want a "rollie".

I like watches. I have always liked watches. And Rolex is the brand it is, because of the amazing watches they produce.

but sadly, in my view, to most, the watch itself is secondary to the fact that they are wearing the worlds most widely recognized luxury brand.
I concur and feel the same exact way sir
UncleSwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2016, 03:24 AM   #55
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
Flip phones vs smart phones, VCRs vs DVR, etc... simple progress is all I see, not flash
agree, not sure what the line of thinking is, thank goodness there is a vintage section for old school guys to hang out in and reminisce about the good ole days!
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2016, 04:16 AM   #56
JJL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Red & 16622
Quote:

I agree with this. For me, it's a double edge sword. Rolex is by far my favorite watch company, I thoroughly like their aesthetics, simplicity, durability, timelessness and iconic history however I don't like what "Rolex" means to the majority of people. And the answer is YES, I ultimately buy the watch(es) I like regardless of what others think of them but I'd be lying if I sometimes didn't wish I was in love with a less popular brand (regardless of quality or price) whether it was IWC, AP, JLC, VC, LS, Breitling, Oris, etc.... just to not carry the stigma of a Rolex. I'm passionate about the watches I wear and would love to have casual discussions about them with others, and hear about others timepieces, but the fact of the matter is I spend most of the time tucking them under my sleeves and just enjoying them myself.
JJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2016, 04:20 AM   #57
southcarolina1801
"TRF" Member

Interestingly enough back in 2006 (pre-ceramic era), I tried on a few Rolexes and hated them. With the non-SEL bracelets and stamped clasps they just felt cheap and compared to my Omega Seamaster Professional I had then, not even in the same league.

Fast forward to today and I feel the complete opposite. With scratch resistant ceramic bezels, solid endlinks, and bomb proof machined clasps with glidelock, the modern Sub is absolutely incredible.
southcarolina1801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2016, 04:25 AM   #58
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
I like the updates. Try another brand if Rolex doesn't do it for you any more. I use mine every day at work as the tool it was intended to be.
SeaAndSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2016, 04:28 AM   #59
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by daswann View Post
I always thought just wearing a Rolex period was being flashy. If you don't want to stand out get a basic Seiko (top quality and nobody will notice).
I agree completely. Wanting to wear an understated Rolex is a bit like wanting to drive an inconspicuous Ferrari. It can't be done.
SeaAndSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2016, 04:30 AM   #60
Eric Chan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date 118238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
i think the right cut-off point for your "new money"/"show off" concern when talking about rolex is somewhere in the early-to-mid-1980s with the so-called yuppies. not the ceramics.

and in, any case, it has little to nothing to do with what rolex does, other than rolex producing a quality luxury product at a price to which many can aspire.

for me, i try to focus on the watch and what it does for me, not what others think or what i think others think of me.

You hit the nail on the head on this one, Cru.

Your thoughts mirror my own and truly feel the cut off point should have been at the "new money/show off" comment as comments like that serve no purpose.
Eric Chan is offline   Reply With Quote