The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 May 2017, 06:41 PM   #31
Lemieux66
"TRF" Member

Watch: $10 Casio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2th_doc View Post
Bobby81 must be Padi's secondary TRF profile.......we're on to you Padi. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nah, this guy puts a space after a full-stop unlike Padi!
Lemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2017, 07:55 PM   #32
ejvette
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singslinger View Post
It's a nice watch for sure but IMHO it doesn't warrant a premium or long waiting lists.

Then again, I'm probably in the minority here!
Agree 100% ......strictly games played by the manufacturer

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2017, 08:45 PM   #33
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I agree Daytona C , nor any watch for that matter, deserves a premium. At MRSP, DaytonaC is a fantastic watch . I wasn't a huge fan of Daytonas until I saw the ceramic, and to me it was totally worth MRSP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2017, 11:27 AM   #34
alongshoremd
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
My AD mentioned to me Monday he has 33 on the list for ceramic Daytonas. That is nuts!

That's insane I'm in Maryland still waiting hope it's not the same AD

alongshoremd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2017, 11:55 AM   #35
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alongshoremd View Post
That's insane I'm in Maryland still waiting hope it's not the same AD

Hey where in MD are you? This was the AD in Annapolis Mall. He quoted me 33 but not sure if he was referring to the highest it was or what it is currently. But either way it's a huge number. He said I was #3 for an SD43 FYI

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2017, 12:34 PM   #36
alongshoremd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey where in MD are you? This was the AD in Annapolis Mall. He quoted me 33 but not sure if he was referring to the highest it was or what it is currently. But either way it's a huge number. He said I was #3 for an SD43 FYI

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'm in Baltimore. I have been to that location (never bought anything there though). I wonder how many people have actually gotten one. I saw one in Maryland in person at a meeting in Western MD - I was pretty surprised. The guy told me that the smaller Maryland ADs will get 2-3 a year, but who knows.....I was also at a wedding a few months ago and was told by one of the guests that there was one AD in Maryland that hadn't even seen one yet...who knows. I get it though, it's how Rolex stays Rolex.

I bet you'll have that SD43 by years end. I ended up flipping my DSSD to fund the 116500. That was my first and only Rolex and now I'm sitting with nothing. It's a shame because the DSSD is a beautiful watch, it just wore too big for my taste and the release of that Daytona sealed the flip for me. The SD43 seems like a winner at that size! Good luck!

Old 8 May 2017, 10:46 PM   #37
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I'm in Baltimore. I have been to that location (never bought anything there though). I wonder how many people have actually gotten one. I saw one in Maryland in person at a meeting in Western MD - I was pretty surprised. The guy told me that the smaller Maryland ADs will get 2-3 a year, but who knows.....I was also at a wedding a few months ago and was told by one of the guests that there was one AD in Maryland that hadn't even seen one yet...who knows. I get it though, it's how Rolex stays Rolex.

I bet you'll have that SD43 by years end. I ended up flipping my DSSD to fund the 116500. That was my first and only Rolex and now I'm sitting with nothing. It's a shame because the DSSD is a beautiful watch, it just wore too big for my taste and the release of that Daytona sealed the flip for me. The SD43 seems like a winner at that size! Good luck!

What AD do you like in the Baltimore area? I'm from B'more originally. Not sure how many Daytonas they got but he mentioned that the last one he got in was with the black face and several on the waiting lists opted out in hopes of landing a white one. I guess white is maybe the more popular model. But it sounds like few and far between for that model. Good luck, hope it come through - It is a stunning model. I'm not a Daytona guy, at least I wasn't until those Daytona C's were released. They changed my whole opinion of that reference.

I'm starting to think you may be right about an SD43 coming through. My only issue is that AD does not take trades or deal in second hand models, so I would need to sell one or both of my models to fund the purchase. I just don't have $11K lying around right now LOL. I may wind up selling my 16710 (gasp!) to fund at least a chunk of the SD43. We'll see....
Old 8 May 2017, 10:51 PM   #38
greggsiam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My AD mentioned to me Monday he has 33 on the list for ceramic Daytonas. That is nuts!
It is indeed.

So if the profit for Rolex is 25% (no idea, just throwing out a number), and there are 33 waiting at one AD, that means they could have potentially made a huge chunk selling them right now. And that is only one AD, think of the world combined. How does shorting the market make more profit for Rolex? Sure more people want it, but how could that even translate to profit as selling over MSRP goes right to the AD, not Rolex.
greggsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2017, 11:57 PM   #39
schnitzerphilip
Banned

Watch: Daytona C 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggsiam View Post
It is indeed.

So if the profit for Rolex is 25% (no idea, just throwing out a number), and there are 33 waiting at one AD, that means they could have potentially made a huge chunk selling them right now. And that is only one AD, think of the world combined. How does shorting the market make more profit for Rolex? Sure more people want it, but how could that even translate to profit as selling over MSRP goes right to the AD, not Rolex.
Rolex spends hundreds of millions of dollars a year on marketing and advertising and the role of those campaigns is not to sell watches but to maintain the brand's legendary status of quality, exclusivity, and desirability. It's that brand perception that in turn sells watches.

By shorting the one watch that is the most desirable and aspirational, they sell fewer Daytona's, but it creates momentum that helps lift the entire brand. I'm not saying it's logical or fair, but that's how it works. The Daytona is more of a marketing play than it is an item for retail sale to generate volume.
schnitzerphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2017, 12:15 AM   #40
alongshoremd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What AD do you like in the Baltimore area? I'm from B'more originally. Not sure how many Daytonas they got but he mentioned that the last one he got in was with the black face and several on the waiting lists opted out in hopes of landing a white one. I guess white is maybe the more popular model. But it sounds like few and far between for that model. Good luck, hope it come through - It is a stunning model. I'm not a Daytona guy, at least I wasn't until those Daytona C's were released. They changed my whole opinion of that reference.

I'm starting to think you may be right about an SD43 coming through. My only issue is that AD does not take trades or deal in second hand models, so I would need to sell one or both of my models to fund the purchase. I just don't have $11K lying around right now LOL. I may wind up selling my 16710 (gasp!) to fund at least a chunk of the SD43. We'll see....

Nice! Thanks man! Radcliffe is the go to AD, they are just about the nicest people you could deal with. I emailed them right away after Rolex made the Daytona announcement for the white model. They weren't taking deposits (I was willing to pay for it that day actually which would have maybe gotten me in trouble with the wife lol), but they put my name down. It's hard to tell what the ratio is but the black model seems more common.

Yikes those 16710s are sweet watches, that's a tough decision.

Old 9 May 2017, 01:24 AM   #41
harvey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby81 View Post
Yes it's crazy their selling for between 15,000 & 15,500 sterling in the UK & the price of them in Dublin Ireland In the only Rolex AD in the City is 11,600 Euro which is
considerably cheaper than the UK. But that's exactly what Rolex set out to do releasing them very slowly it's all about supply & demand
Hi can I ask if there is a big waiting list for the ones in Dublin?
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2017, 01:50 AM   #42
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Nice! Thanks man! Radcliffe is the go to AD, they are just about the nicest people you could deal with. I emailed them right away after Rolex made the Daytona announcement for the white model. They weren't taking deposits (I was willing to pay for it that day actually which would have maybe gotten me in trouble with the wife lol), but they put my name down. It's hard to tell what the ratio is but the black model seems more common.

Yikes those 16710s are sweet watches, that's a tough decision.
Oh yeah, Radcliffe. I see their ads all the time. I will make a point to check them out next time I'm up that way. We are on the Shore so Annapolis is my closest. I bought my first up in Christiana Mall in northern Delaware. It was a nice ride but the no sales tax thing is a big help. We are up in Baltimore for all the Ravens games and a few of the O's games. Love my hometown.

When you finally get that Daytona it will be worth the wait. They are really something else! I'm a little torn about parting with my 16710, and I love it. But I'm not a collector, I buy my watches to wear. And I just know if I have two sports models I will wear one and the other will stay in the safe - and I don't see a point in that. My wrists are in the 7.5" range and the Pepsi just wears a little small on me and this new Sea Dweller just looks perfect for me. I like the larger diameter but I also like the increased thickness. Just wears "more substantially" than the GMT/Sub models I think. If I had <7" wrists I'd probably stay with the current GMT. Well if/when they ever get in I'll go try it out and my questions will be answered...
Old 9 May 2017, 02:31 AM   #43
Ad11wrd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai, Rolex
New Daytona C

I also agree, I have had my name down for a year for the new Daytona C an upgrade from my 116520 and still no news on when I will receive one, AD have no idea on deliveries. Due to the silliness of supplying minimum quantities I decided to buy something else. I can't understand marketing a new model and then saying you can't have one for any other reason than pushing up the prices.

Rant over.
Ad11wrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2017, 10:31 AM   #44
ispep
"TRF" Member

Could it be that Rolex wants to capitalize on the pent up demand for the watch . They don't want to sell at the current MRSP , thus limiting the supply . They can wait for a few more price increases before releasing more pieces as they know there are still many people on waiting lists.
ispep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2017, 11:14 AM   #45
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I don't quite get the super hype either, I think it's a nice watch but it doesn't really light my fire with that dial layout. In UK this will be the situation for a few more years yet, just glad I'm not mired in it.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2017, 11:24 AM   #46
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Hang on, don't give up your hope on a SS Daytona, once you get one on your wrist you understand why. Good luck guys!
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2017, 11:29 AM   #47
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
I don't feel I am hypnotized but I am on "the list". I want one but I don't want one bad enough to pay a premium but retail is acceptable. My tipping point to going with the Daytona C was when prices of perfect box and papers of its predecessor started creeping to 11K and past that. It became a no brainer to just go with a new C.

I know that TT Daytona's are a better value but if I am going to have one it must be steel.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 02:54 AM   #48
bobby81
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
Hi can I ask if there is a big waiting list for the ones in Dublin?
I have been to the Rolex AD in Dublin & was told that I could get one in a matter of months. there is a reason why Dublin only has one Rolex AD not a lot of people wear Rolex in Ireland mainly young professionals. Most people would not think of paying the prices that Rolex demand when you could get a good secondhand family car for that money
bobby81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 03:42 PM   #49
BigJer
"TRF" Member

I got The Call yesterday at 4:00 PM and came in today for Daytona Ceramic with a white face, The Rolex dealer told me they pulled my name out of a hat with other customers (no speculators). I would have accepted either color. I really like the white. In June of 2011 ,from this same Rolex dealer, I bought a white-face Daytona stainless steel , which I may now sell - or trade for an early 1990s Zenith movement gold Daytona Rolex.
BigJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 11:22 AM   #50
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gold Sub 116618LN
I prefer the black dial with fhe SS bezel and the white dial with the black Cerachrom bezel.....so that's what I bought!
The black one cost me just under $10k a few years ago bought 2nd hand with week old RSC Service papers, while the white Daytona C cost me approx $16,000 new.
Old 13 May 2017, 11:41 AM   #51
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Waiting for padi's signature response to ceramic Daytona supply/demand threads. Can never get enough.
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2017, 03:36 PM   #52
asudarno
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman2005 View Post
Hang on, don't give up your hope on a SS Daytona, once you get one on your wrist you understand why. Good luck guys!
Deep! Good luck guys!
Next Daytona C 116500LN
asudarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2017, 08:20 PM   #53
regnant
"TRF" Member

Waiting time is excruciatingly too long for these watches but it's worth the wait unless it doesn't exceed 2 years however if you are in position to buy two tone Daytona times should also be fine
Old 18 June 2017, 08:26 PM   #54
amg55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Waiting for padi's signature response to ceramic Daytona supply/demand threads. Can never get enough.
Noooooooo... enough of that rant, thank you :)
amg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2017, 11:28 PM   #55
Bowtrout
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 26300 ST 116500
Now tha I have one for MSRP black dial, I think I could pay up to 20% more I think. Before, I wouldn't even pay a penny more. IMO, The watch is unreal!
Bowtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2017, 11:40 PM   #56
mattty
"TRF" Member

Seem OK but imo felt very small when I tried it on - felt like the old days wearing 36mm date just.
Not sure why but a 39mm explorer has more dominance on the wrist than a Daytona?
If I was to pay over retail for one knowing my luck they'd step up production! Then I'd be left with not only taking a hit on a new watch but taking a hit on the above rrp too as they'd float back to base price then.
But everybody's ideas are different, I'm not one for above rrp anyway as it's risky.
mattty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2017, 11:47 PM   #57
zengineer
"TRF" Member

A 116520 and a black Sharpie?

I do actually like the new Ceramic in Black dial but am looking more for a steel bezel in white currently. I am starting to see 116520's on Ebay with aftermarket ceramic bezels...but no, never would I ever.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 01:05 AM   #58
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
I guess I'm hypnotized! It's worth it, can't take mine off.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 01:15 AM   #59
ksm
"TRF" Member

Watch: ss daytona
Would consider trading my Daytona for the newer ceramic but would only pay retail.
For the premium I'd rather go gold.
ksm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 02:03 AM   #60
ABChop
"TRF" Member

I waited just over a year.
Loving mine so far.
I think I'd have trouble waiting 2 years though.....or paying a lot over msrp.
But at msrp I think it's a great deal!!

- 116660 DSSD D-Blue, 124060, 126613LN, 116710BLNR
- 116500LN White Dial - “U” 16610 “SWISS” dial
ABChop is offline   Reply With Quote