The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 April 2018, 10:06 PM   #121
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Me too, I like the spelling "grey" far better than "gray." I feel the latter looks incorrect. I also really hate when I write or spell incorrectly. It just happens way to frequently for me. I always catch other's mistakes and my own only when it's too late.
Sorry Lee....had to be done!

16803. 214270. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2018, 10:36 PM   #122
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
You know — when I think about all of these ‘letters’ and ‘theories’ [to me] it is all moot unless [more] watches show up at the ADs... if there are no watches to remove stickers from, or warranty cards to ‘retain for a year’ what is this even referring to?

To me, all this is - is mis-direction. A ‘way’ to perhaps address and curve the supply or demand ‘issue’ ???? Or heighten it????

Just a thought....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2018, 10:36 PM   #123
Jeffreyc87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyx View Post
Sh*t, they are now producing fake Rolex letters. I suggest all future Rolex letters to AD’s should come with box and papers. Also, remember to check the laser etched crown.
That’s why I insist on all my Rolex letters arrive in a plastic casket.
Jeffreyc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2018, 10:48 PM   #124
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
You know — when I think about all of these ‘letters’ and ‘theories’ [to me] it is all moot unless [more] watches show up at the ADs... if there are no watches to remove stickers from, or warranty cards to ‘retain for a year’ what is this even referring to?

To me, all this is - is mis-direction. A ‘way’ to perhaps address and curve the supply or demand ‘issue’ ???? Or heighten it????

Just a thought....

its deflecting the anger for sure... from Rolex to the AD. As soon as this stuff happens people stop complaining about Rolex restricting supply and they bash the AD for removing stickers and holding warranty cards of hypothetical watches they are still waiting for. IMO it makes Rolex come off looking better than the AD and i think Rolex is fine with that.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2018, 10:50 PM   #125
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
its deflecting the anger for sure... from Rolex to the AD. As soon as this stuff happens people stop complaining about Rolex restricting supply and they bash the AD for removing stickers and holding warranty cards. IMO it makes Rolex come off looking better than the AD and i think Rolex is fine with that.
why would people care about that though? those people are probably flippers. i would never complain because i only buy watches to wear.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2018, 10:52 PM   #126
RHIII

Quote:
its deflecting the anger for sure... from Rolex to the AD. As soon as this stuff happens people stop complaining about Rolex restricting supply and they bash the AD for removing stickers and holding warranty cards of hypothetical watches they are still waiting for. IMO it makes Rolex come off looking better than the AD and i think Rolex is fine with that.

Spot on my friend.

Old 14 April 2018, 10:52 PM   #127
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
why would people care about that though? those people are probably flippers. i would never complain because i only buy watches to wear.
i don't care either... but based on the thread responses about holding warranty cards and even the sticker issue, people get pretty mad. Even if these policies would in theory lead them to get a watch sooner, a surprising number of people are not OK with it. It boggles my mind.

I don't want to think TRF has become a den of flippers but maybe it has.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 14 April 2018, 10:55 PM   #128
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
I agree. What's the big deal. I'll bet a good percentage of buyers want the stickers off, wear the watch out and leave the box behind.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2018, 11:07 PM   #129
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Just got back, quick, tell me, was the letter real?
Would you like to hear the good news or the bad news first? Social Psychological experiments have shown that the overwhelming majority >75% wanted the bad news first......
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2018, 11:10 PM   #130
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i don't care either... but based on the thread responses about holding warranty cards and even the sticker issue, people get pretty mad. Even if these policies would in theory lead them to get a watch sooner, a surprising number of people are not OK with it. It boggles my mind.

i dont think one has anything to do with the other. that is the amazing part. the only thing of importance in this letter, if true and real, is the under supply of watches brand enthisiasts actually want which is quite shocking to me. it appears i have my answer if this is a real letter. rolex is chosing to under supply. the reason of which one can only speculate.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 14 April 2018, 11:14 PM   #131
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
This forum often amazes me.
Someone we know and trust, connected as anyone, comes on and says something they saw or were told form a potentially reliable source and it’s all “show me the letter” “I don’t believe it” etc. basically calling them a liar. I mean that’s what it is.
Then someone comes on and posts an actual letter, and it’s all the same stuff.
Then later other folks wonder why xxxxx isn’t active anymore.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2018, 11:15 PM   #132
RHIII

Quote:

You have to look at it from the macro level. What would be a corporation levels potential avenue to address (or attempt to curve) demand? They don’t have to address supply - as that is their sole purpose and charter....heightened governance of distribution....that’s all this is. (Rolex does not sell DTC.) Which is the ‘problem’ they are after.

Why would ‘people’ care? I would submit that ‘most’ people don’t (and won’t) care. ‘We’ (enthusiasts and forum members) do not even represent a valid statistical cross-section of the Rolex customer base — and neither does the random ‘flipper’.

The ADs hold all the cards. From the business aspect — you could (even without doing the math) begin the logic to pin crazy premiums on ADs as they control (to a great degree) where many of these watches go — and to whom. They get all of the inventory - and who knows how they really distribute it. It’s not the random guy or gal — or big spender that picks up a highly desired reference and decides to sell it and take advantage of the market. That is in the noise. No one entity has that type of control on an industry based market, the watch industry is not free enterprise— But many ‘entities’ combined....ding, ding....

Just my .02....that may be .05.....

Old 14 April 2018, 11:18 PM   #133
RHIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
I agree. What's the big deal. I'll bet a good percentage of buyers want the stickers off, wear the watch out and leave the box behind.

Exactly

Old 14 April 2018, 11:18 PM   #134
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
This forum often amazes me.
Someone we know and trust, connected as anyone, comes on and says something they heard form a potentially reliable source and it’s all “show me the letter” “I don’t believe it” etc. basically calling them a liar. I mean that’s what it is.
Then someone comes on and posts an actual letter, and it’s all the same stuff.
Then later other folks wonder why xxxxx isn’t active anymore.
FWIW I believe OP and i trust him. The contents of the letter are already policies that are confirmed by other letters as well as actual experience in real life so its weird to me that things get nit picked to death when the actual substance is not really in question.
Old 15 April 2018, 12:25 AM   #135
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

I don't think it has become that, just a lot of old/er leopards here and they don't change their spots quickly, but in time they will come around to the new normal. We in UK have just had a lot more time to adjust.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 12:27 AM   #136
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
i dont think one has anything to do with the other. that is the amazing part. the only thing of importance in this letter, if true and real, is the under supply of watches brand enthisiasts actually want which is quite shocking to me. it appears i have my answer if this is a real letter. rolex is chosing to under supply. the reason of which one can only speculate.
They have stated it is to starve the grey market, everything they have done is to curb the grey market and flippers. This is their chosen policy now, not new prices or a better allocation of supply, as we in UK have been asking for those measures for a year and a half now so it probably is not going to change until next year if the situation remains so out of balance.
Old 15 April 2018, 01:24 AM   #137
lzz73
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228238
I find it interesting that Rolex tells the AD's to take the stickers off.

Last month, I received my new, replacement BLNR through a State Farm Homeowner's insurance claim, and it came to me boxed up from Rolex USA itself (New York) with all the stickers intact!

I guess practice what you preach doesn't always apply.
lzz73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 03:46 AM   #138
Richmor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzz73 View Post
I find it interesting that Rolex tells the AD's to take the stickers off.

Last month, I received my new, replacement BLNR through a State Farm Homeowner's insurance claim, and it came to me boxed up from Rolex USA itself (New York) with all the stickers intact!

I guess practice what you preach doesn't always apply.
Just a thought...
No one mentions the purpose of stickers. To protect both the watch and Rolex when shipping from Rolex.
Old 15 April 2018, 04:06 AM   #139
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmor View Post
Just a thought...
No one mentions the purpose of stickers. To protect both the watch and Rolex when shipping from Rolex.
yep. Since Rolex isnt in the shipping to customers business i guess when they do, they do the same thing as when they ship to an AD

Just curious though... who is the AD in this situation?
Old 15 April 2018, 08:12 AM   #140
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Dweller View Post
Sorry Lee....had to be done!

Fare enuf,

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 12:23 PM   #141
Gunbucker
"TRF" Member

All I can say is, wow, we really have a lot of free time on our hands... lol!
Gunbucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 01:34 AM   #142
lzz73
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228238
Quote:
yep. Since Rolex isnt in the shipping to customers business i guess when they do, they do the same thing as when they ship to an AD

Just curious though... who is the AD in this situation?

Lenkersdorfer - Tyson’s DC burbs.

lzz73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 01:40 AM   #143
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
They have stated it is to starve the grey market, everything they have done is to curb the grey market and flippers. This is their chosen policy now, not new prices or a better allocation of supply, as we in UK have been asking for those measures for a year and a half now so it probably is not going to change until next year if the situation remains so out of balance.
the gray market helped save their business during the last financial crisis. they should show a little more respect. without the gray market a lot of ADs would have eaten it. now that things are cooking ADs are mad because they have competition. Rolex should let the market decide what is best. ADs are really the issue. Not sure why they cant chop out the middle man. I know why they dont and there are numerous compounding issues too lengthy to get into. My guess is they will during the next financial crisis.

Now I dont really care overall because I always find a way to buy what I want be it at a premium or discount. Just pointing out the obvious. Rolex cares little about the customers in comparison to their distribution channels. That is good and well as long as they dont pretend it is any other way.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 16 April 2018, 02:05 AM   #144
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
Quote:
FWIW I believe OP and i trust him. The contents of the letter are already policies that are confirmed by other letters as well as actual experience in real life so its weird to me that things get nit picked to death when the actual substance is not really in question.
I find this a really odd thing to say. I’m the one who asked only ‘is this real?’

I’m not questioning that the letter is talking about verifiably true things. But if it’s a fake wouldn’t you want to know? There are many examples through history of fakes succeeding in influencing people precisely because they contained grains of truth.

I think we all hunger for verified info from the ‘man behind the curtain,’ a reference, btw, from the Wizard of Oz.

This letter fills that need but is so exactly on-point to what we want to hear, and so oddly phrased, that it feels fake to me.

Something is going on with supply and demand at Rolex. And I’d love to get real info from Rolex. I don’t think this is it, though I’d love to proved wrong.

And, since you’ve implied it, I’m not questioning the veracity of your friend, the OP, I’m questioning the veracity of the letter. That the OP put this into the forum’s bloodstream is a good thing, IMO.

Last edited by jstan9; 16 April 2018 at 02:12 AM.. Reason: Typos
jstan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 02:14 AM   #145
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
Quote:
the gray market helped save their business during the last financial crisis. they should show a little more respect. without the gray market a lot of ADs would have eaten it. now that things are cooking ADs are mad because they have competition. Rolex should let the market decide what is best. ADs are really the issue. Not sure why they cant chop out the middle man. I know why they dont and there are numerous compounding issues too lengthy to get into. My guess is they will during the next financial crisis.

Now I dont really care overall because I always find a way to buy what I want be it at a premium or discount. Just pointing out the obvious. Rolex cares little about the customers in comparison to their distribution channels. That is good and well as long as they dont pretend it is any other way.
I’m all for the grey market. Because of the vetting done by trf, I was able to buy with great confidence, for the first time, from a fantastic dealer, the incomparable DavidSW. The dealers are adding liquidity to this market. They have no control over the fact that Rolex can’t match supply with demand.
jstan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 03:32 AM   #146
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

It's not really the grey market, it is flippers and speculators that are really being targeted, Rolex and the Greys have coexisted for years as we know as they take many models that can't be shifted any other way, but the flippers just commoditising their hard won brand image is what they are truly at war against and rightfully so.
Old 16 April 2018, 03:37 AM   #147
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
It's not really the grey market, it is flippers and speculators that are really being targeted, Rolex and the Greys have coexisted for years as we know.
yes

Its not the typical grey market that is the issue. Its the individuals speculating and adding to the inventory of the grey market. Its like bitcoin. As soon as you hear old men discussing the merits of crypto currency then you know there is a problem. Especially when they don't own a computer between them, but they still want in on the action.

Watch flipping is mainstream now and the watches that even TS have come from individuals like you and me for the majority of them. Im convinced of that.
Old 16 April 2018, 07:19 AM   #148
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
yes

Its not the typical grey market that is the issue. Its the individuals speculating and adding to the inventory of the grey market. Its like bitcoin. As soon as you hear old men discussing the merits of crypto currency then you know there is a problem. Especially when they don't own a computer between them, but they still want in on the action.

Watch flipping is mainstream now and the watches that even TS have come from individuals like you and me for the majority of them. Im convinced of that.
Yes, and not straight from ADs any more as some believe, ADs know better now.
Old 16 April 2018, 07:38 AM   #149
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
This makes no difference to me. I once again commend any reasonable measures to stop intentional flippers.

Sadly, I must admit that I have lusted after various references. And my grail watch has at times seemed to be a moving target.

However, I have never lusted after stickers or a warranty card so I could buy a watch solely to flip it. Nor do I have a grail set of stickers that I hope to acquire some day. I hope that those who do obsess over stickers and immediate access to warranty cards are outliers, but in any event, they look to be out of luck.

Last edited by mountainjogger; 16 April 2018 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: Typo
mountainjogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 08:22 PM   #150
Miexpeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Sky Dweller,
I like the Rolex green ink that the letter is signed with

Miexpeman is offline   Reply With Quote