The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 April 2018, 12:34 PM   #31
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel_1 View Post
I have the RG YM as well as the WG Daytona on OF. I also have a PP 5726 on bracelet and use to own a SS AP Jumbo. I traded the Jumbo after two years because I was too scared to wear it and it just seemed fragile compared to Rolex. I love my 5726, but I prefer bracelet for this watch. As for the YM vs the Daytona, the YM is far easier to read at a glance. Both fly under the radar. I recently was able to add an Easylink to my YM and what a difference this made! Anyone with an OF needs to get the Easylink added.

From what you’re looking at, I’d definitely get the RG YM first. Then add the WG Daytona or the PP 5726 (on bracelet!) and skip the AP RO all together. The only AP that interests me are the divers, so I’m a little biased.

As far as value rentintion, the AP would probably do the best with the PP a close second. The WG Daytona would probably beat the YM.
Wow.......so much great info in this post-- I feel like I need to pick your brain lol

1. First off, why do you feel the royal oaks are so fragile c/w to the SS Rolex's you've owned?And why were you scared to wear your 15202 relative to your other watches??
One of the things I've read and heard about AP is the time and attention they put into their SS bracelets........it's quite the labor of love from what I hear. My first thought was to get a Royal oak off shore, but the more I looked at the Royal Oaks with SS and blue dial (the 15450, 15400, and of course the Jumbo 15202), the more I thought this is a stunning watch.........more so than the 5711 blue dial, but that's only from pics obviously.

2. You're the second poster in this thread to say get the 5726 with the stainless steel bracelet instead of the leather strap......any reason why? I've read very mixed things about PP's bracelets, and just from aesthetics, I guess I'm in the minority that things the 5726 looks better with a leather strap.

3. I think you're spot on about AP holding its value even better than PP, unless we are talking about the 5711, but there's a 5 year wait list for that watch. FYI, I did put my name in the hat with my local AD (they have a PP account) for a 5711 or 5726-- if one comes available in the next couple of years.

4. My dealer told me that if you buy a Rolex with the oysterflex that it could not be swapped out for a bracelet........that only another oysterflex could replace an existing oysterflex. We were discussing a gold daytona she had there with a leather strap that was soon going to be replaced by the newer model with the oysterflex. And beyond that, I love the comfort and versatility of the oysterflex-- it's truly a special design by Rolex. Can I ask why you didn't like it and got an Easy link instead?

5. Totally agree on the readability of the dial of the YM c/w the Daytona. That's another reason I love the YM......... and the contrast of that matte black bezel against the rose gold is truly stunning in person. I think I've been a fan of this watch since it came out 3-4 years ago, but back then thought 'no way am I spending $25k on a watch'. And now here we are.
lol
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 12:35 PM   #32
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Value retention and PM don't go hand in hand
agree...... just trying to minimize the potential loss. I think the one poster who said 10-20% is right, and that's something I could live with. But a 40-50% hit would be harder to live with.
Old 15 April 2018, 01:00 PM   #33
topfuel25
Banned

White gold will definetly take a bigger hit than yellow or rose gold. Period
topfuel25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 01:02 PM   #34
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

I think I may not have been clear. The OF on the Daytona’s comes with the Easylink extension in the deployant clasp. The YM OF does / did not.

As for the 5726, the bracelet does have 1.5 links from what I’ve heard and it’s the most comfortable bracelet I have next to my DDII.

As for the Jumbo. I bought my 5726 in early 2015 and wore it a lot. I ended up grabbing a Jumbo and a 5712r around Christmas the same year. I scratched the bezel slightly on my 5712r within minutes of wearing, just around my house! I didn’t even have time to take a darn picture of it yet!! Then, when I started looking at the Jumbo and all of that bezel and angles and finishing, I was in shock to not mess it up! Also, the ultra thin watch and bracelet was a little dare I say dainty compared to my 5726 or any of my other Rolexes. I probably wore my Jumbo a total of 20 hours during the two years I owned it. I kept it on a wonder because the rapid date assist was a pain when the date was off by more than a couple of days.

As time progressed I became more fond of PM watches, especially Rolex sports models. I ended up trading my Jumbo for / towards a WG Pepsi GMT and couldn’t be happier (even though the SS version just got released, I still prefer the WG).
Old 15 April 2018, 01:15 PM   #35
Rolex Essex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, DJ & Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmizzou View Post
Wrist shot from my recent visit
Absolutely beautiful!
Rolex Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 09:44 PM   #36
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

As you say, YOLO, both
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 01:45 AM   #37
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfuel25 View Post
White gold will definetly take a bigger hit than yellow or rose gold. Period
Is this based on what you've seen in other WG models, or based on speculation?
Old 16 April 2018, 01:49 AM   #38
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel_1 View Post
I think I may not have been clear. The OF on the Daytona’s comes with the Easylink extension in the deployant clasp. The YM OF does / did not.

As for the 5726, the bracelet does have 1.5 links from what I’ve heard and it’s the most comfortable bracelet I have next to my DDII.

As for the Jumbo. I bought my 5726 in early 2015 and wore it a lot. I ended up grabbing a Jumbo and a 5712r around Christmas the same year. I scratched the bezel slightly on my 5712r within minutes of wearing, just around my house! I didn’t even have time to take a darn picture of it yet!! Then, when I started looking at the Jumbo and all of that bezel and angles and finishing, I was in shock to not mess it up! Also, the ultra thin watch and bracelet was a little dare I say dainty compared to my 5726 or any of my other Rolexes. I probably wore my Jumbo a total of 20 hours during the two years I owned it. I kept it on a wonder because the rapid date assist was a pain when the date was off by more than a couple of days.

As time progressed I became more fond of PM watches, especially Rolex sports models. I ended up trading my Jumbo for / towards a WG Pepsi GMT and couldn’t be happier (even though the SS version just got released, I still prefer the WG).
got it. So it sounds like the Jumbo wasn't exactly the most 'sturdy' watch for daily wear, even c/w to your 5726?

It's clear that the popularity of the 15200 is greater than the 15400 or 15450, but the latter may be better options given their price point and since the cases are slightly thicker......did you consider the 37mm or 41mm versions instead of the Jumbo or have a chance to try them on?
Old 16 April 2018, 02:04 AM   #39
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Of your OF choices, I would give the nod to the Daytona over the YM. The value of it in the secondary market seems to be holding pretty well as opposed to the YM, and then there's the availability of the easy link on the Daytona.

Somewhat surprised that the poster above got the easy link installed on the YM...I know another member who, when asked about this, got laughed at. So...I think that's going to be a crap shoot.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 02:32 AM   #40
dannyp
Banned

Taking a closer look at the various Rolexes, my vote would be for an OF-equipped watch would be Daytona over YM, and RG over WG.

The YM is just too much black, with an all black strap, black dial, and monochromatic black bezel.

The Daytona at least has dial options, all of which offer more contrast.

All else being equal, I like the fact that the RG version has multiple non-diamond dials. The WG seems to only have one, the steel dial with black. If you like that, great. However the RG has a number of lume vs. diamond dials which, on a watch like that, I find more subtle, useful and masculine.

The final consideration is whether you'd ever want a bracelet on the watch. With the YM, it's a nonstarter, as there is no RG bracelet. Period.

With the Daytona, you can, in theory, purchase the bracelet version and retrofit the OF strap. However you cannot do the other way around. That being said, the bracelet version comes with a case-colored bezel, the OF a ceramic one.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 06:06 AM   #41
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Taking a closer look at the various Rolexes, my vote would be for an OF-equipped watch would be Daytona over YM, and RG over WG.

The YM is just too much black, with an all black strap, black dial, and monochromatic black bezel.

The Daytona at least has dial options, all of which offer more contrast.

All else being equal, I like the fact that the RG version has multiple non-diamond dials. The WG seems to only have one, the steel dial with black. If you like that, great. However the RG has a number of lume vs. diamond dials which, on a watch like that, I find more subtle, useful and masculine.

The final consideration is whether you'd ever want a bracelet on the watch. With the YM, it's a nonstarter, as there is no RG bracelet. Period.

With the Daytona, you can, in theory, purchase the bracelet version and retrofit the OF strap. However you cannot do the other way around. That being said, the bracelet version comes with a case-colored bezel, the OF a ceramic one.
Nope-- no desire to put a bracelet on either the YM or the Daytona. I really like the OF....... are there OF wearers who ended up not liking them I wonder? They are just so comfortable, and unlike you, I love how much black there is to contrast with the rose gold of the YM. In fact, that's the big selling point.

I've never been a fan of SS daytonas (heresy, I know), but the rose gold and white gold daytonas look good-- I just think I like the YM a bit more .......of course this view may change once I'm finally finally able to see a WG Daytona in person.
Old 16 April 2018, 08:02 AM   #42
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post
Nope-- no desire to put a bracelet on either the YM or the Daytona. I really like the OF....... are there OF wearers who ended up not liking them I wonder? They are just so comfortable, and unlike you, I love how much black there is to contrast with the rose gold of the YM. In fact, that's the big selling point.
If there's zero desire to ever add a bracelet then think nothing further of it!

And your opinion on the amount of black is all that matters; I brought it up only as something to consider if it hadn't been considered already.

One more to consider, given the references you're looking at: The GP Laureato line. Not sure whether that's ever crossed your mind. Unfortunately, there's yet to be a ceramic/RG combo there yet (SS, RG, TI/RG so far) but similar looks to AP and PP in some respects.
Old 16 April 2018, 09:28 AM   #43
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If there's zero desire to ever add a bracelet then think nothing further of it!

And your opinion on the amount of black is all that matters; I brought it up only as something to consider if it hadn't been considered already.

One more to consider, given the references you're looking at: The GP Laureato line. Not sure whether that's ever crossed your mind. Unfortunately, there's yet to be a ceramic/RG combo there yet (SS, RG, TI/RG so far) but similar looks to AP and PP in some respects.
Interesting you brought up GP. I LOVE their 81010 Laureato blue dial with either the black strap or SS bracelet.

Then I started reading up on them and they seem to be getting trashed by many critics, saying they haven't evolved, and their design is a rip off from AP, etc.
The other big thing is the the Laureato doesn't seem to hold its value very well (as in, Hublot bad), which isn't as big an issue with a watch that retails for $9-11k vs one that costs $35k, but still....... I found grey market dealers from Europe willing to discount the watch by $2k off the top.

I know nothing about the quality of their 21,600 vib (3 Hz) movement relative to AP's for example.
And is the brand dying a slow death in the US? Anything else you can tell me about the Laureato line would be most appreciated, given that the AP is looking less and less likely. lol
Old 16 April 2018, 11:40 AM   #44
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Interesting you brought up GP. I LOVE their 81010 Laureato blue dial with either the black strap or SS bracelet.

Then I started reading up on them and they seem to be getting trashed by many critics, saying they haven't evolved, and their design is a rip off from AP, etc.
The other big thing is the the Laureato doesn't seem to hold its value very well (as in, Hublot bad), which isn't as big an issue with a watch that retails for $9-11k vs one that costs $35k, but still....... I found grey market dealers from Europe willing to discount the watch by $2k off the top.

I know nothing about the quality of their 21,600 vib (3 Hz) movement relative to AP's for example.
And is the brand dying a slow death in the US? Anything else you can tell me about the Laureato line would be most appreciated, given that the AP is looking less and less likely. lol
I don't consider it a "ripoff" of the AP, it's more an issue of GP not having the same brand strength as some competitors, nor having a particular "icon" (or "icons") associated with it in the way others do.

IWC is synonymous with vintage-style pilot watches (and others); JLC has its Reverso; Panerai its Luminor; Omega the Seamaster, Speedmaster and DeVille. I'm sure there are some I'm missing, too. It lacks such an identity, much the same way as Zenith, Breguet or Blancpain in my opinion. Like Zenith GP seems almost better known for supplying exceptional movements to other high-end houses.

However, that being said, it in no way diminishes the quality of the watch or the beauty of its design. I've yet to see it in person, but the 38mm in steel is next on my pipe-dream-wish-list (unless a redesigned 36mm DJ next year takes its place).

Regarding value retention, I think you're probably right, though the types of discounts available on the Laureato are similar to many others that aren't PP, AP or Rolex. Remains to be seen, I think, whether this generation of Laureato can help change that.
Old 16 April 2018, 12:00 PM   #45
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't consider it a "ripoff" of the AP, it's more an issue of GP not having the same brand strength as some competitors, nor having a particular "icon" (or "icons") associated with it in the way others do.

IWC is synonymous with vintage-style pilot watches (and others); JLC has its Reverso; Panerai its Luminor; Omega the Seamaster, Speedmaster and DeVille. I'm sure there are some I'm missing, too. It lacks such an identity, much the same way as Zenith, Breguet or Blancpain in my opinion. Like Zenith GP seems almost better known for supplying exceptional movements to other high-end houses.

However, that being said, it in no way diminishes the quality of the watch or the beauty of its design. I've yet to see it in person, but the 38mm in steel is next on my pipe-dream-wish-list (unless a redesigned 36mm DJ next year takes its place).

Regarding value retention, I think you're probably right, though the types of discounts available on the Laureato are similar to many others that aren't PP, AP or Rolex. Remains to be seen, I think, whether this generation of Laureato can help change that.
So after my post above, I went back to read some reviews on the Laureato........ mostly good........the Laureato when it first came out was a different watch than the version they released a couple of years ago, and you're absolutely right in that the brand doesn't have an iconic watch that people think of, similar to the examples you mentioned ( I would add the Portuguese as well for IWC, but I may be biased : )

The other thing that makes me a bit hesitant regarding GP is the lack of AD's in the US. Their presence has dwindled to where they have only a handful of authorized dealers selling their watches, which could make for f/u and/or servicing a potential issue.
Otherwise, I might be on board for getting one. Grey market discounts are like 28% on their SS versions btw.
Old 16 April 2018, 12:27 PM   #46
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
So after my post above, I went back to read some reviews on the Laureato........ mostly good........the Laureato when it first came out was a different watch than the version they released a couple of years ago, and you're absolutely right in that the brand doesn't have an iconic watch that people think of, similar to the examples you mentioned ( I would add the Portuguese as well for IWC, but I may be biased : )

The other thing that makes me a bit hesitant regarding GP is the lack of AD's in the US. Their presence has dwindled to where they have only a handful of authorized dealers selling their watches, which could make for f/u and/or servicing a potential issue.
Otherwise, I might be on board for getting one. Grey market discounts are like 28% on their SS versions btw.
Unfortunately, even at 28% off it's a bit outside the budget...

Would you do the Laureato with leather or would you get the rubber strap from the ceramic version?

Are you still in the LA area? If so I know Westime is an AD and one I've had great experiences with (I bought my IWC there, then sent my dad who bought one too, and two friends who both bought Omegas).
Old 16 April 2018, 12:44 PM   #47
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

Keep your name in for the 5726, I would also go ahead and echo the get it on a bracelet, I've now worth both, and vastly prefer the bracelet for this model...granted, I do have a 5712r that I absolutely love, which is on leather, but its a different aesthetic...If you really want a Patek, nothing will quite match that until you've got it. However, going to the OF Daytona models...I have a YG with black dial and gold sundials that's easily one of my favorite watches I've EVER had...it does EVERYTHING, is as scratch resistant as any watch can really be short of the polished part on the clasp and continues to be my most worn watch (of 6-7 pieces) and good for pretty much anything. The fact that it doesn't come on the standard PCL bracelet really gives it a more casual/somewhat undercover look for what it is (yes mine is YG but even that isn't really super loud in this configuration). I'd be hard pressed to tell you NOT to get that (the WG model is great and will hold value VERY well for quite a bit...they sell preowned for 23k-24k pretty nicely, so if you can just get a few K off you'll be fine while you wait for your 5726.
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 01:04 PM   #48
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, even at 28% off it's a bit outside the budget...

Would you do the Laureato with leather or would you get the rubber strap from the ceramic version?

Are you still in the LA area? If so I know Westime is an AD and one I've had great experiences with (I bought my IWC there, then sent my dad who bought one too, and two friends who both bought Omegas).
I live in Lafayette, LA (other LA lol) but am originally from the L.A. area and will be back in June for a long weekend. All of my family is still in so-cal.

I looked at AD's for GP on their website and the ONLY one that came up in California was in Palo Alto. Is it possible Westime lost their account with GP, much like Govberg seems to have as well? I see that GP has a ton of stores in Mexico by comparison, but only 5-6 in the US. Maybe their map is off?

To answer your question, if I was to get a Laureato, it would be on the bracelet I think.
Old 16 April 2018, 01:19 PM   #49
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sechsgang View Post
Keep your name in for the 5726, I would also go ahead and echo the get it on a bracelet, I've now worth both, and vastly prefer the bracelet for this model...granted, I do have a 5712r that I absolutely love, which is on leather, but its a different aesthetic...If you really want a Patek, nothing will quite match that until you've got it. However, going to the OF Daytona models...I have a YG with black dial and gold sundials that's easily one of my favorite watches I've EVER had...it does EVERYTHING, is as scratch resistant as any watch can really be short of the polished part on the clasp and continues to be my most worn watch (of 6-7 pieces) and good for pretty much anything. The fact that it doesn't come on the standard PCL bracelet really gives it a more casual/somewhat undercover look for what it is (yes mine is YG but even that isn't really super loud in this configuration). I'd be hard pressed to tell you NOT to get that (the WG model is great and will hold value VERY well for quite a bit...they sell preowned for 23k-24k pretty nicely, so if you can just get a few K off you'll be fine while you wait for your 5726.
Really good thoughts in this post, thanks.

So let me take you through my convoluted thinking:

I want a semi dressy watch that also goes under the radar a bit in terms of recognition (or lack thereof) among non watch people where I live, and I've wanted an IWC for a while.
Now while I've never been a big chronograph fan, one of the very few I've ever liked has been the portuguese. It doesn't hurt that along with the big pilot, it's their most iconic watch and is one of the few chrono's that can be worn on dressy clothes.
And it also doesn't hurt that their blue dial model is stunning, which is the one I would get.
And I'm talking about their $6900 model, which seems to be holding its value fairly well on secondary markets, not their Portuguese classic, which retails at $12,100.

To go with that, I would then get the YM in everose gold and wait on the 5726-- as you said-- if/when it becomes available, or maybe by the time I get the YM, the desire for the 5726 would wane and I would get off the wait list.

Option B is to forego the two watch scenario above and get the Daytona in WG. I'm a heretic on this board in that I've never really gotten the love for the Daytona. I find the dial to be a pain to read c/w other chronos, like the IWC Portuguese, and just don't 'get it'.......until I saw pics of the WG Daytona and even the everose gold Daytona with chocolate dial and arabic numerals (although that watch is a little too much bling for me). It looks stunning to me and is neck in neck with the Everose gold YM.
And I think you and others are right in that it will hold value better than the YM, although if I decide I love the YM more than the Daytona, that won't be the deciding factor.
However, cost wise, I could probably get an everose gold YM + IWC Portuguese in scenario A for the same price as the Daytona (factoring in I can probably find an AD who will discount the YM by 10% but won't do the same for the daytona).

In either scenario A or B, I could still keep my name on the list for the 5726 (and I've even requested for my local AD who sells Rolex and PP to keep my name on their list for the 5711) She wants me to go to a dinner in August where I will meet the President of PP to be 'seen' and let them know I'm serious about a 5711 or 5726.........FWIW.

In scenario B, I could possibly get a GP as mentioned above to go with the Daytona. That would be a pretty sweet two watch combo as well.
Old 16 April 2018, 01:30 PM   #50
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
I live in Lafayette, LA (other LA lol) but am originally from the L.A. area and will be back in June for a long weekend. All of my family is still in so-cal.

I looked at AD's for GP on their website and the ONLY one that came up in California was in Palo Alto. Is it possible Westime lost their account with GP, much like Govberg seems to have as well? I see that GP has a ton of stores in Mexico by comparison, but only 5-6 in the US. Maybe their map is off?

To answer your question, if I was to get a Laureato, it would be on the bracelet I think.
That's really odd, for a few reasons...

I just checked on GP's website, and if I put in a Los Angeles zip code in the locator it gives me several options, either Feldmar or Westime.

What's even odder is that, just last week, I stopped into a Chicago retailer to try one on (they didn't have it) but now I no longer see them listed as an AD on the site. I'm wondering if it's an issue with GP's website perhaps?
Old 16 April 2018, 01:42 PM   #51
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's really odd, for a few reasons...

I just checked on GP's website, and if I put in a Los Angeles zip code in the locator it gives me several options, either Feldmar or Westime.

What's even odder is that, just last week, I stopped into a Chicago retailer to try one on (they didn't have it) but now I no longer see them listed as an AD on the site. I'm wondering if it's an issue with GP's website perhaps?
very weird indeed. My AD I've bought from in the past in Manhattan will get me 15% off the IWC I want. But if you're happy with the people at West time and they can match that 15% and do a healthy discount on a GP, that could be a new relationship worth cultivating.

GP really seems to be struggling, in part b/c the biggest criticism I've read is that their pieces are WAAAAY overpriced. And yet, when I see what's happening with Royal Oaks and the Nautilus, I'm not sure why GP is being singled out.

PM me and we can discuss it further
Old 16 April 2018, 11:05 PM   #52
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
very weird indeed. My AD I've bought from in the past in Manhattan will get me 15% off the IWC I want. But if you're happy with the people at West time and they can match that 15% and do a healthy discount on a GP, that could be a new relationship worth cultivating.

GP really seems to be struggling, in part b/c the biggest criticism I've read is that their pieces are WAAAAY overpriced. And yet, when I see what's happening with Royal Oaks and the Nautilus, I'm not sure why GP is being singled out.

PM me and we can discuss it further
PM sent, hope it helps!

I think that's probably accurate, that they are overpriced at MSRP, but the market seems to have corrected that, given the available discounts (vs. the Nautilus or RO, which the market prices above MSRP).

I love that it's a true manufacture (and was always one), and among the better priced. Like Zenith and JLC I think they also supply movements to other very high-end houses. However, unlike JLC, but much like Zenith, I am a fair weather fan; some years I want one because I like their designs, other years it's a strong "pass." In fact, the Laureato is the first piece that's made me genuinely interested in owning the brand, vs. just appreciating its history. I can always find something in the JLC lineup I'd gladly strap on, though.

Both Zenith and GP are owned by conglomerates known for fashion (LVHM and Kering, respectively), vs. JLC, which is owned by Richemont, known almost exclusively for watches and jewelry.
Old 17 April 2018, 04:06 AM   #53
SilverFoxUK
"TRF" Member

I tried on a WG Daytona on OF in a U.K. AD recently as I am on the long list for a new SS Daytona and getting frustrated. I think it’s rare to see this watch in stock, which makes me think it may retain more value than other PM options. (Previous poster who said 25 to 30% discount can be had on PM - did you mean to include this watch??) I have not made my mind up whether to get one of these, as I have three issues with this watch (although it is beautiful!)
1) if paying over £20,000 for a watch do I really want to be subtle?
2) this would be easily the most expensive watch I own, and OF makes it look sporty/casual - so is a watch this expensive a sensible choice for casual day to day wear?
3) will buying this ruin the pleasure of getting a SS Daytona when that happens? I can’t see both working in one collection.

Interested to know anyone else’s view... right know head overruling heart.
SilverFoxUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 09:13 AM   #54
John DSSD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea, Hulk, YM

I spotted this in one of the ADs in Hong Kong last month
Retails just under 29k HKD
John DSSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 02:11 PM   #55
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFoxUK View Post
I tried on a WG Daytona on OF in a U.K. AD recently as I am on the long list for a new SS Daytona and getting frustrated. I think it’s rare to see this watch in stock, which makes me think it may retain more value than other PM options. (Previous poster who said 25 to 30% discount can be had on PM - did you mean to include this watch??) I have not made my mind up whether to get one of these, as I have three issues with this watch (although it is beautiful!)
1) if paying over £20,000 for a watch do I really want to be subtle?
2) this would be easily the most expensive watch I own, and OF makes it look sporty/casual - so is a watch this expensive a sensible choice for casual day to day wear?
3) will buying this ruin the pleasure of getting a SS Daytona when that happens? I can’t see both working in one collection.

Interested to know anyone else’s view... right know head overruling heart.
My thoughts:

1. I don't get the love for SS daytonas, but to each his/her own. I think the SS sports watch bubble is going to burst (not so much with daytonas, but more so with AP royal oaks and to a lesser extent the Nautilus). It's insane what people are willing to pay for some of the watches relative to what they're getting. Unless a RO falls in my lap, I'm done with my quest for one.

2. I myself am torn on the WG vs EG vs YG decision. I love how stealth WG is and that it can be worn daily without getting too much attention and is so versatile. OTOH, YG and EG are stunning with seemingly easier to read dials and there is no mistaking that the watch is gold, which to me can be both good and bad. I don't know which of the 3 will hold value best, but based on the popularity of WG on this forum, it might be the winner, contrary to current day wisdom that WG is more dangerous in terms of retaining value.

3. 30% discount is LOL funny. i spoke to my AD in Manhattan today. She told me she could do 12% on the YM in EG, which brings it down to grey market prices, which is really good (and is the other watch I'm considering), and she could do 5% max on any of the gold daytonas, which also brings it in line with grey market prices. That right there tells you that the watch should hold value well, and that it will tough to get discounts better than 5% on that watch from most retailers. The AD where I live said no discount at all.

4. Only you can decide if you want more attention that a YG or EG would bring over WG, and the fact that there will be no confusion as to whether your watch is gold or not when people look at it (unlike the WG, which will definitely make most people think it's SS).
Old 17 April 2018, 04:09 PM   #56
Rolex Essex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, DJ & Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by John DSSD View Post

I spotted this in one of the ADs in Hong Kong last month
Retails just under 29k HKD
Funny enough they’re the only two Daytona’s available in UK ADs too.
Rolex Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 12:27 AM   #57
SilverFoxUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My thoughts:

1. I don't get the love for SS daytonas, but to each his/her own. I think the SS sports watch bubble is going to burst (not so much with daytonas, but more so with AP royal oaks and to a lesser extent the Nautilus). It's insane what people are willing to pay for some of the watches relative to what they're getting. Unless a RO falls in my lap, I'm done with my quest for one.

2. I myself am torn on the WG vs EG vs YG decision. I love how stealth WG is and that it can be worn daily without getting too much attention and is so versatile. OTOH, YG and EG are stunning with seemingly easier to read dials and there is no mistaking that the watch is gold, which to me can be both good and bad. I don't know which of the 3 will hold value best, but based on the popularity of WG on this forum, it might be the winner, contrary to current day wisdom that WG is more dangerous in terms of retaining value.

3. 30% discount is LOL funny. i spoke to my AD in Manhattan today. She told me she could do 12% on the YM in EG, which brings it down to grey market prices, which is really good (and is the other watch I'm considering), and she could do 5% max on any of the gold daytonas, which also brings it in line with grey market prices. That right there tells you that the watch should hold value well, and that it will tough to get discounts better than 5% on that watch from most retailers. The AD where I live said no discount at all.

4. Only you can decide if you want more attention that a YG or EG would bring over WG, and the fact that there will be no confusion as to whether your watch is gold or not when people look at it (unlike the WG, which will definitely make most people think it's SS).
Great comments thanks, good luck with your decision. I will look at YG on OF next for a comparison with WG.
SilverFoxUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 11:29 AM   #58
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFoxUK View Post
Great comments thanks, good luck with your decision. I will look at YG on OF next for a comparison with WG.
Be sure to post comparison pics when you do.