The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 May 2018, 07:02 AM   #61
American Jedi
Banned

Watch: Rollie’s and JLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggi View Post
Maybe it's just my peculiar expandable wrists but at the moment it is quite hot in the UK and I'm finding myself adjusting the glidelock bracelet on my Sub at least twice a day. In the morning it is cool so I have it fairly narrow to avoid it flapping around, but by 1pm it is much hotter and the watch feels tight so I will have to loosen it off a few notches to retain the same fit. Then in the evening chilling at home it goes back a few notches to take the slack out.

I'm the same with the climate control in my car - it doesn't stay at one setting: warmer in the morning (23), cooler driving home in the afternoon (19), and a bit warmer for evening driving (21).

Comfort levels vary according to the temperature - which makes the glidelock a daily necessity for me.

The main reason for the question is that I really fancy a GMT later this year (BLRO ideally but maybe a CHNR and failing that maybe a BLNR if I can be convinced it still looks good in subdued light) and I believe they only have minimal adjustability.

Obviously this is very much a first-world problem but how important is adjustability to you?

I once believed life was perfect with my old two line Sub.
Then one day I bought a SDDS with GlideLock. Quickly finding that the Glide lock was very helpful for my slightly meaty wrists here in the Midwest. I ended up hating the watch, but I loved the bracelet. This led to me selling my old sub, and replacing it with the new ceramic, which I am in love with. I also flipped my SDDS and purchased the SD 43 Vader.

Like I mentioned, living in the Midwest our claimants are constantly changing, and I definitely understand where you're coming from. These days it is hard to talk me into a watch that does not have some form of micro adjustability. I recently picked up another driver with a great clasp in the Tutor LHD.

I wish Rolex would start putting some form of the glide lock on all of its models.
American Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 07:32 AM   #62
Brew
"TRF" Member

I don't know what I am not missing.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 07:35 AM   #63
Largoshark
"TRF" Member

I find that the Easylink extension is more than enough. Had the 114060 and never changed it more than 5mm.
Largoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 07:59 AM   #64
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Largoshark View Post
I find the that Easylink extension is more than enough. Had the 114060 and never changed it more than 5mm.
As I see it, the difference is that the Glidelock allows you change in 2mm increments, rather than an all-or-nothing 5mm. Most days, I don't adjust more than a single notch one direction or another, so even though I'm only using a small percentage of the clasp's range, it's still giving me a more tailored fit than the Easylink would. That's why I think a smaller version of the Glidelock would make sense for non-diver watches - same ability to fine-tune the fit, without such a broad range of adjustability (or the attendant clasp size), which most people don't need.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 09:06 AM   #65
rph08
"TRF" Member

I think I've adjusted mine 2 or 3 times in the nearly 2 years I've owned my SD4K.

Canyonero! Canyonero!
rph08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 09:15 AM   #66
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

It’s one of those features that when you do need it, it’s brilliant.
Old 11 May 2018, 09:20 AM   #67
Why-Not
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggi View Post

...I believe they only have minimal adjustability.
... how important is adjustability to you?
First off all, the adjustability is important IMHO. I am new to Rolex watches. I have Omega Seamaster that does not have an adjustable bracelet. I love the watch. I have a problem with the bracelet.
I just recently got Milgauss with easylink and the difference is huge. 5mm adjustment is absolutely adequate for me. So my advise to you would be getting something like Omega first, and only then getting you GMT. You would be a happy camper
Why-Not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 09:46 AM   #68
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
I find when your watch is sized correctly that the Easylink is all you need. I always start my day with it open, then around lunch I take the 2 seconds to tighten it. Perfect all day!
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 10:29 AM   #69
Rp930
"TRF" Member

Oh the humanity. I couldn’t do it.
Rp930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 11:53 AM   #70
Teetime71
"TRF" Member

Watch: me nae nae
Best all around clasp I have experienced. Have a few 5 and 6 digit references and other makes as well...none more functionally advanced in execution of adjustability within a sleek form factor...and so solid...although I loves me some 5 digit flip lock bracelet for pure lightweight comfort (not considering on-the-fly ease of adjustability).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Teetime71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 12:20 PM   #71
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
I use very much my glidelock, at least 2 times a day. A wonderful feature!!
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 03:25 PM   #72
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloebear View Post
I find when your watch is sized correctly that the Easylink is all you need. I always start my day with it open, then around lunch I take the 2 seconds to tighten it. Perfect all day!
You tighten it at lunch? I'm the opposite - when the day is warmer I'm loosening mine.

Does seem from this thread that adjustability is important to those who have it and that people do use it when it's there. I wear my Sub 24/7and the feeling/idea of no air getting to the skin behind the watch is not one I could live with.

Thanks for the helpful replies on Easylink.
Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 03:51 PM   #73
jdmi32
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I have a watch with the Glidelock and still find the older bracelets, especially the folded ones, to be more comfortable. Less weight and less bulk means more to me than ease of adjustment.
jdmi32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 04:07 PM   #74
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
As I see it, the difference is that the Glidelock allows you change in 2mm increments, rather than an all-or-nothing 5mm. Most days, I don't adjust more than a single notch one direction or another, so even though I'm only using a small percentage of the clasp's range, it's still giving me a more tailored fit than the Easylink would. That's why I think a smaller version of the Glidelock would make sense for non-diver watches - same ability to fine-tune the fit, without such a broad range of adjustability (or the attendant clasp size), which most people don't need.
This has been my personal experience with the Easylink. It's TOO much of an outward adjustment compared to the Glidelock system. My experience has been with an EXP II where I ended up using the Easy link in a permanent open position to get the right fit on my wrist (7.3") because it was either too tight or too loose, but with the Easylink open it provides a slightly different, kind of Half-link situation as far as I can tell. Once I set it up like that it was within parameters that I didn't feel a need to adjust due to climate etc.. Always made me wonder if the structural integrity was the same with the Easy link in it's "out" position as "in" though...
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 03:46 AM   #75
hwelsh
"TRF" Member

Me too, I use it very much on my SubC.... I even bought an extra glidelock for my Daytona...
I really like the glidelock also for diving purposes... I use it tighter on the dives....
hwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 03:51 AM   #76
mray6375
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, 116610LV
I use It daily but the easy link on my GMT works great as well.
mray6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 04:21 AM   #77
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Just got my first Rolex (SD4K) with glidelock. Can definitely see the point of having it, the small adjustment steps is great whereas easylink is also good it can sometimes be too much or too little.

I've been looking at something like a DD40 or AP RO but the unadjustable bracelet puts me off a little.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 05:26 AM   #78
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Everybody is different - physically (variable reactions to temperature and humidity fluctuations), environmental situation, etc.
Not surprisingly, an adjustable bracelet isn't necessary for many.

For me, the Glidelock, in particular the DSSD GL, is one of my favorite features on a watch. I switch wrists throughout the day, and also travel frequently, and so the fine tuning really helps to get an optimal fit no matter the situation. The DSSD GL is much more useful and convenient than the GL on my Subc or EasyLink on my GMTc.
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 05:38 AM   #79
jtpopper
"TRF" Member

Watch: In pursuit.
Waste money on sub half link and Rolex 2100.
jtpopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 05:52 AM   #80
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Leather strap
Old 22 May 2018, 05:55 AM   #81
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

48 years with no problems. :)

Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 05:56 AM   #82
bradyb
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Not much of a fan at all. Glidelock is too long and the +/- 5mm Easylink adjustment is all I need.
bradyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 06:01 AM   #83
uncle_paul_hargis
"TRF" Member

I’m just sitting here with my 5 digit sub not adjusting my bracelet ever. Got it sized on day one and haven’t changed it since. Perfectly comfortable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
uncle_paul_hargis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 06:08 AM   #84
wytrader
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD
After glidelock have never gone back. Wore my BLNR for a day of it being too loose. Another too tight. Then put it away and went back to a DSSD. Then saw some examples on this forum of Sub bracelets on the BLNR and it is the perfect fix, added bonus (for me) no more PCL's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GlideBatSmall.jpg (92.5 KB, 85 views)
126610LV
wytrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 02:08 AM   #85
smym18
"TRF" Member

I use mine pretty often. I'm always surprised to read people saying they never have to adjust.
smym18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 02:17 AM   #86
Raza_actual
"TRF" Member

Watch: Monaco
In the summer, I tend to set my watches without Glidelock one micro adjust hole looser, to accommodate the wrist swell.
Old 23 May 2018, 02:58 AM   #87
Raza_actual
"TRF" Member

Watch: Monaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by smym18 View Post
I use mine pretty often. I'm always surprised to read people saying they never have to adjust.
I use mine pretty frequently as well. Days when I’m just in front of a computer or whatever, it’s not a big deal, but if I’m doing stuff around the house or running errands in the heat and humidity, it really comes in handy.
Old 23 May 2018, 04:40 AM   #88
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
gotta have it
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 04:42 AM   #89
Why1504
"TRF" Member

I got my Sub Nov 2017 and the sub only fit when the Glidelock was all the way out. Since then I have lost 40 pounds and now it fits from 5 to 8 clicks in. I swell and shrink constantly. Glidelock is a godsend. In February I purchased a Skydweller. Had to add a link. I can’t wear it right now because when I remove the extra link it is too tight and with the extra link it is way too loose (even with the easy link adjustment). Maybe after losing another 20 will be able to lose the extra link.
Why1504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 04:43 AM   #90
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I only adjust my glide lock maybe 3 or 4 times a year. Just on particularly hot and sweaty days.
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote