The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 May 2018, 04:31 AM   #1
mangoseed
Banned

What can I do about a Rolex AD scratching my clasp during a simple bracelet adjustmen

I bought the watch new 6 months ago so it still in near perfect condition, the scratches aren't particularly bad but are highly visible under direct sunlight. This is on the polished side of the clasp which was previously in perfect condition. If the scratch was my own fault it would be easier to accept, but it is from an AD who is supposed to know what they are doing.

If anyone is curious the exact AD is Gassan Dam Square in Amsterdam.

Has anyone else had their watch scratched by an AD?
mangoseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 04:33 AM   #2
airpeace
Banned

ask for a replacement? i guess not. you should have raised that question to the AD when you were in the shop.
airpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 04:34 AM   #3
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Yep and I would never hand my watch over to a AD. Buy the right tools and do it yourself, it’s super easy.

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 04:35 AM   #4
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Probably not much you can do about it unless they are willing to compensate you somehow. Did you bring this to their attention and make clear the scratches happened as a result of their work? If yes, what was their response?
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 04:45 AM   #5
mangoseed
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by airpeace View Post
ask for a replacement? i guess not. you should have raised that question to the AD when you were in the shop.
Yes, but I didn't see the scratches until later on in the day, but I do wonder how a professional watch make does this?
Old 19 May 2018, 04:46 AM   #6
mangoseed
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
Probably not much you can do about it unless they are willing to compensate you somehow. Did you bring this to their attention and make clear the scratches happened as a result of their work? If yes, what was their response?
Unfortunately no, I was only in the city for one day and by the time I noticed the scratches I had a train to catch.
Old 19 May 2018, 04:49 AM   #7
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoseed View Post
Unfortunately no, I was only in the city for one day and by the time I noticed the scratches I had a train to catch.

I guess it doesn’t hurt to call them and let them know. But at this point it’s your word against theirs how the scratches got there. Unless you have pictures of it when you dropped it off and when you picked it up for comparison they are probably not likely to admit wrong doing. It’s very unfortunate but these things happen at AD’s routinely... not saying that makes it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 04:57 AM   #8
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Nothing but ignoring them. Buy a decent screwdriver and forget AD's for service. I never understand why anybody lets a salesperson touch their watch, just DIY or RSC only.
Old 19 May 2018, 05:04 AM   #9
Beelzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Move on, more scratches later on will be there with it.
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 05:10 AM   #10
Dr. Robert
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655
Maybe they can buff it out?
Old 19 May 2018, 05:20 AM   #11
westsiderkg
"TRF" Member

Watch: '66 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzy View Post
Move on, more scratches later on will be there with it.
x2

Heck you may have already scuffed it elsewhere by now lol.
westsiderkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 05:27 AM   #12
RolexEDC
"TRF" Member

If you pointed it out the min you got your watch back then yeah. But later that day it’s up in the air who did what.
RolexEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 06:12 AM   #13
ernie2
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K+BLNR
for a little job like adjusting bracelet, I don't think the "Pro" watchmaker was doing it. Could be just junior or a clerk
ernie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 10:28 AM   #14
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:
I bought the watch new 6 months ago so it still in near perfect condition, the scratches aren't particularly bad but are highly visible under direct sunlight. This is on the polished side of the clasp which was previously in perfect condition. If the scratch was my own fault it would be easier to accept, but it is from an AD who is supposed to know what they are doing.

Hi

Gassan RSC is at Nieuwe Uilenburgerstraat 173 - 175 .
Old 19 May 2018, 12:33 PM   #15
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
If you bought the watch 6 months ago and are just now trying to raise an issue about scratches on your clasp I have a hard time thinking they will help you out. The time was within a few weeks of buying it, by this time they will likely claim its normal wear and tear.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 12:58 PM   #16
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I have a hard time believing that a 6mo old watch wouldn't have a scratched clasp, at least not without constant buffing.

Perhaps you are simply assuming that the AD scratched things because you are now aware of it..

Probably take you 5 minutes with a polishing cloth to make it like new though.
Old 19 May 2018, 03:37 PM   #17
RolexComplex
"TRF" Member

So you bought the watch 6 months ago and just adjusted the bracelet recently? Did your wrist change in size? Or was the bracelet adjusted when you purchased the watch? It’s unclear from your post. If this happened 6 months ago, you’re out of luck. If this happened recently, it’s a shame you didnt notice it on the spot. Still, IF you have a good relationship with the AD, they should polish it for you.
RolexComplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 11:20 PM   #18
mangoseed
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexComplex View Post
So you bought the watch 6 months ago and just adjusted the bracelet recently? Did your wrist change in size? Or was the bracelet adjusted when you purchased the watch? It’s unclear from your post. If this happened 6 months ago, you’re out of luck. If this happened recently, it’s a shame you didnt notice it on the spot. Still, IF you have a good relationship with the AD, they should polish it for you.
Yes I did just have bracelet adjusted recently, 2 days ago in fact which is why I just made this post. It was while I was on vacation in the Netherlands and have since left.
Old 19 May 2018, 11:23 PM   #19
mangoseed
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
I have a hard time believing that a 6mo old watch wouldn't have a scratched clasp, at least not without constant buffing.

Perhaps you are simply assuming that the AD scratched things because you are now aware of it..

Probably take you 5 minutes with a polishing cloth to make it like new though.
Yes of course there were other minor scratches before, but only on the bottom of the clasp, not the side. I noticed later in the same day as soon as I just happened to see the clasp under direct sunlight. I know my watch well and I check for new scratches quite often, and always notice as soon as I accidentally knock the clasp against something.
Old 19 May 2018, 11:26 PM   #20
mangoseed
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmework View Post
If you bought the watch 6 months ago and are just now trying to raise an issue about scratches on your clasp I have a hard time thinking they will help you out. The time was within a few weeks of buying it, by this time they will likely claim its normal wear and tear.
This is not the place I bought the watch from and this entire event happened just days ago
Old 19 May 2018, 11:28 PM   #21
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes I did just have bracelet adjusted recently, 2 days ago in fact which is why I just made this post. It was while I was on vacation in the Netherlands and have since left.
Just being honest.....so what do you expect them to do? Pay your shipping to them and return shipping (all International and insured of course, so this will be super expensive) to do a simple polish job that you could probably do yourself? Not to mention this will be raised after the fact and you’d kind of have absolutely no proof they in fact did it. Furthermore, you’ve already stated there’s scratches on the bottom, I don’t see what the big deal is. Now there’s just some minor scratches on the side, the side matches the bottom now.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 11:39 PM   #22
Pavlos
"TRF" Member

Unacceptable ask for a new watch
Pavlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 11:44 PM   #23
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
If you didnt notice at the time how can you be sure it wasnt you!? Sure the AD will think the same
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 12:09 AM   #24
mangoseed
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Just being honest.....so what do you expect them to do? Pay your shipping to them and return shipping (all International and insured of course, so this will be super expensive) to do a simple polish job that you could probably do yourself? Not to mention this will be raised after the fact and you’d kind of have absolutely no proof they in fact did it. Furthermore, you’ve already stated there’s scratches on the bottom, I don’t see what the big deal is. Now there’s just some minor scratches on the side, the side matches the bottom now.
Sorry if there is some confusion, the purpose of this thread is to find out if there is way of have the clasp polished and restored without the rest of the bracelet being polished, if a RSC or AD will do this or insist on polishing the bracelet. Also I was curious if other people had had this kind of problem with an "authorized" dealer before.
Old 20 May 2018, 12:09 AM   #25
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Give them a call and voice your displeasure and see what they say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 12:19 AM   #26
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry if there is some confusion, the purpose of this thread is to find out if there is way of have the clasp polished and restored without the rest of the bracelet being polished, if a RSC or AD will do this or insist on polishing the bracelet. Also I was curious if other people had had this kind of problem with an "authorized" dealer before.
And how are you going to get that done, without shipping the watch back to them, seeing as you didn’t have the tools to do the adjustment in the first place? That’s my point....

Or are you saying that you just want the scratches gone, and you’re not trying to get Gassan to pay for it on their dime? If that’s the case, go to any AD and I’m sure they’ll polish it out for a minimal charge.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 12:46 AM   #27
cht
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:

First, you can accept that this situation really isn't a big deal and you can take care of this yourself..

Second, buy a polishing cloth, or buy an dremel if its a hard core scratch with a cloth buffing wheel, buy some mother's metal polish, tape off the brushed finishes and evenly and lightly polish back and forth, up and down, side to side, in circles, till the scratch disappears.

Finish off with some cape cod cloth with a soft jeweler's polishing cloth by hand softly till you get a mirror shine.

Lastly, learn to adjust your own bracelet, not that hard. Even if your abroad, eye glass screw driver and locktite will do the trick for a couple of bucks.

Seriously, if I can do this with NO training... pretty sure you can handle 1 scratch.

cht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 01:34 AM   #28
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
A bit of an overreaction if you ask me.

Scratches happen if you wear your watches. If you don’t like them, they’re easily removed. I’d ask the dealer for a polish, they should gladly oblige.
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 02:49 AM   #29
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
That is a completely different question.

RSC doesn't do spot work like this usually. Most watchmakers who are capable of servicing your watch can surely polish your clasp at a reasonable cost.

Likely it's a DIY job too, unless they are pretty deep scratches.
Old 22 May 2018, 04:19 AM   #30
mangoseed
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
That is a completely different question.

RSC doesn't do spot work like this usually. Most watchmakers who are capable of servicing your watch can surely polish your clasp at a reasonable cost.

Likely it's a DIY job too, unless they are pretty deep scratches.
I did phone the dealer that I bought the watch from here in the UK but they implied that they would only polish the entire bracelet at a cost of £70, and I would need to leave the watch with them for 2 weeks. So I suppose dealers won't do spot work like this either. This is my only watch so I do not have any experience with reputable and trustworthy watchmakers so I don't know where I could find one unless anyone here has some recommendations of watchmakers in southern England.