The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 May 2018, 10:56 AM   #1
Bro Watch
"TRF" Member

Having to buy 25K worth of watches before buying a Daytona.

Im trying to find a rolex SD43, So I started to call some AD's in the my area. No luck on the SD43, but they did say they had 2 Daytonas a black face and a white face. Told them I would be intrested in the white faced Daytona, but they told me I had to spend at least 25K before I could purchase the Daytona. Is this a common thing with authorized rolex AD's? Sounds like pay to play, I wonder what rolex thinks of this.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Bro Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 11:03 AM   #2
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
yes they do. trusted sellers online have it for 13k. id just pay a slight premium and buy it from them. consider its over 12k with tax at an ad.

rolex doesnt care.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 11:13 AM   #3
liuk3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
yes they do. trusted sellers online have it for 13k. id just pay a slight premium and buy it from them. consider its over 12k with tax at an ad.

rolex doesnt care.
Which TS has a ceramic Daytona for $13k???
Old 20 May 2018, 11:15 AM   #4
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post

rolex doesnt care.
What??? TS price the white dial SS Daytona at 20K now!
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 11:17 AM   #5
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by liuk3 View Post
sorry i was thinking sd43. my bad.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 11:21 AM   #6
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro Watch View Post
Is this a common thing with authorized rolex AD's?
I think it's a common thing for ADs to say just to weed out potential flippers and keep business within their existing clientele.

If you bought an SD43 from them then you'd almost be halfway there. Did they offer to get you the SD?
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 11:26 AM   #7
Bro Watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
I think it's a common thing for ADs to say just to weed out potential flippers and keep business within their existing clientele.

If you bought an SD43 from them then you'd almost be halfway there. Did they offer to get you the SD?
They put me on the waiting list but didn't give me much hope.

Bro Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 11:36 AM   #8
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Give them about a month and stop in again. Politely ask what position you are on the list and tell them you want to buy from them rather than some other AD in the area. It shouldn't take long to get an SD unless you're really far down on their list.*

*which translates to them politely saying 'no' without actually saying it.

Keep on them and keep them honest.
Old 20 May 2018, 11:37 AM   #9
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Just more AD nonsense.

Incidentally- I wonder what would happen with all this nonsense if the secondary market started selling all the hyped up references around MSRP (or a slight premium, say 20%ish)....would be interesting how fast the tables could turn...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 11:42 AM   #10
2024 Pledge Member

Once supplies return to normal -- and I suspect they will at some point -- the nonsense should settle down a bit. So-called "lists" are purely due to supply issues and ADs wanting to make sure their current clients have stuff available to purchase. Unfortunately some ADs are just jerks about it.
Old 20 May 2018, 11:45 AM   #11
edweather
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio Illuminator
Every day I hate ADs even more. to them. They are way worse than car stealers.......uh I mean dealers.
Old 20 May 2018, 12:21 PM   #12
Finfin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600
While not very palatable these practices are understandable. I'm sure my opinion here will be unpopular but how I see it.

The AD has overhead to pay and employees to feed etc. when the cases are empty of popular models. Why wouldn't they want to reward customers who spend money in their store year round on other items while the cases are empty of low volume popular models? These are the customers that keep the lights on in between Rolex shipments.

Of course there's no free ride for the AD as the customer has the freedom to go elsewhere and maybe that customer would have become a vip customer but now is angry with you. I assume these decisions are not easy for the business owner who has to balance rewarding loyal customers with attracting new business. I'm assuming these can be difficult decisions to look a customer in the face and say no I don't have what you want when it's 50' away in the safe given that most of these businesses have high overhead in high rent business districts and expensive security needs etc. The AD will follow the money and if a customer spends real money, that AD doesn't want that customer spending that money elsewhere. Restaurants reward loyal big spenders why shouldn't jewelry stores?
Finfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 12:22 PM   #13
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
If you have to spend 25K BEFORE spending another 12K on a ceramic SS Daytona (total of 37K), you may as well buy one 116500 from grey and just spend 20K! And party away with the remaining 17K...
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 12:26 PM   #14
edweather
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio Illuminator
It's flat out attempted extorsion.
Old 20 May 2018, 12:27 PM   #15
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfin View Post
While not very palatable these practices are understandable. I'm sure my opinion here will be unpopular but how I see it.

The AD has overhead to pay and employees to feed etc. when the cases are empty of popular models. Why wouldn't they want to reward customers who spend money in their store year round on other items while the cases are empty of low volume popular models? These are the customers that keep the lights on in between Rolex shipments.

Of course there's no free ride for the AD as the customer has the freedom to go elsewhere and maybe that customer would have become a vip customer but now is angry with you. I assume these decisions are not easy for the business owner who has to balance rewarding loyal customers with attracting new business. I'm assuming these can be difficult decisions to look a customer in the face and say no I don't have what you want when it's 50' away in the safe given that most of these businesses have high overhead in high rent business districts and expensive security needs etc. The AD will follow the money and if a customer spends real money, that AD doesn't want that customer spending that money elsewhere. Restaurants reward loyal big spenders why shouldn't jewelry stores?
I can relate to this. My Rolex AD and Panerai boutique here in Singapore look after me very well because of my previous business and clients I’ve sent their way.

My AD in the UK also takes care of me because we’ve been personal friends over 30 years and I spent a lot of money at her previous jewellers before she moved to a Rolex AD.

I guess it’s just the way it is. It’s one of those things that if it works in your favour then you’re all for it. However, if you’re on the wrong end of it.............

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 12:29 PM   #16
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
I'm surprised that you would only have to spend $25k on other watches to buy a SS Daytona. I have a friend who has spent upwards of $150k at an AD in the U.S. - part of a chain, located in a relatively rural area. At some point, that earned him the ability to buy a black Daytona. But the AD keeps encouraging him to buy more so that he can one day purchase a white one.
Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 12:31 PM   #17
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
No way I'd play that game. Who buys watches like that?
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 12:37 PM   #18
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by edweather View Post
It's flat out attempted extorsion.
Agree. It’s one thing for an AD to work off of a list or save a watch like a Daytona for a favored customer, but I find this tactic unscrupulous.
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 01:10 PM   #19
Dyim
"TRF" Member

I think 25k is reasonable if this is how the game is being played.

I am sure I heard people on here spending 100k and still waiting.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 01:15 PM   #20
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

That’s the norm now and 25k is actually very reasonable.

Would you rather have a sd43, BLNR, ExpI and a 116500 for $38k
Or a sd43k and a 116500 for $33k when you buy from resellers.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 01:37 PM   #21
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

This is bs.

Go to another AD. There's plenty of them.
watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 02:51 PM   #22
DylanFox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by faimag View Post
If you have to spend 25K BEFORE spending another 12K on a ceramic SS Daytona (total of 37K), you may as well buy one 116500 from grey and just spend 20K! And party away with the remaining 17K...
My thoughts exactly
DylanFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 03:19 PM   #23
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchtabs View Post
This is bs.

Go to another AD. There's plenty of them.
Right, because most have purchase requirements over $100k to be considered.

$25k is low...

In regards to this reference you either play by the AD rules or buy at the grey market premium.

Otherwise, just move on.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 04:19 PM   #24
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Right, because most have purchase requirements over $100k to be considered.

$25k is low...

In regards to this reference you either play by the AD rules or buy at the grey market premium.

Otherwise, just move on.

I had only bought a GMT II and Hulk in the last 24 months before getting on the list (early when announced tho).

My AD is the Miami Rolex Boutique( design district). Manager is top notch, straight shooter and at least with me - doesn’t play these silly 100k games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 04:23 PM   #25
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Im trying to find a rolex SD43, So I started to call some AD's in the my area. No luck on the SD43, but they did say they had 2 Daytonas a black face and a white face. Told them I would be intrested in the white faced Daytona, but they told me I had to spend at least 25K before I could purchase the Daytona. Is this a common thing with authorized rolex AD's? Sounds like pay to play, I wonder what rolex thinks of this.

As above, 25k isn’t bad.

As for what Rolex thinks? They wouldn’t get involved if you asked them, and would most likely just say it’s between you and the AD.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 04:24 PM   #26
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by liuk3 View Post
I think he means a SD43 is $13k
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 04:30 PM   #27
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

AD's are horrible at communicating this. The translation is "i already have customers who buy more watches, and unfortunately i do not get enough for everyone. My bigger customers will be getting this watch."

The implication that people need to buy watches they dont want is not necessarily the full truth. AD's already have customers who buy other watches (and they are watches they want) and they are also getting these hot watches first.

Every business of every type takes care of their most important customers first. Its a combination of bad communication and customers having a hard time realizing that 11k doesn't mean a whole lot when lots of AD customers are after the same watch. I really wish AD's would pay more attention to communicating in a polite and rational way, as their position isnt wrong but how they are saying it is.

You absolutely must pay to play. Airlines are not giving status and upgrades and perks to people who fly economy class and travel once a year either. You want the perks, you pay for it. The perk in this situation is getting a watch at a discount since AD's are selling it below the market price, which is the real price.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 09:54 PM   #28
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by edweather View Post
Every day I hate ADs even more. to them. They are way worse than car stealers.......uh I mean dealers.
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 10:56 PM   #29
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Hate to say it but agree 25 is a low buy in. I’d pick 25k of other desirable models and then look to sell them. At least compare the slippage on that compared to 5k over via grey.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 11:08 PM   #30
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

That’s to give you time to meet the $25K tablestakes.

I’ll pose a strategy if you really want that Daytona for MSRP (and save the extra $7K from a TRF TS).

Buy a few pieces like DJ, OP or any SS Subs that AD has (to get up to the $25K ante). Then add the Daytona 500 to your shopping cart and put the DJ, OP, etc up for sale.

You’ll cover that minimum purchase requirement and still get a Daytona for close to MSRP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote