The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 May 2018, 11:16 PM   #31
rad87gn
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM, Omega
Rolex are beyond stupid prices to me for the Daytona so I bought the other Rolex models I liked and went to Omega for some decent mechanical chronographs.

Shouldn't have to jump through hoops and way over spend for a Rolex Daytona IMHO. Maybe if it had a date and a flyback or something cool I'd consider it.
Rolex P-Series SS GMT II Black, Rolex Y-Series Sea-Dweller, Rolex F-Series TT Blue Sub, Rolex F-Series Sub LV, Rolex D-Series Ladies SS/WG DJ for wife, Panerai K-Series PAM 112, Omega Speedmaster Pro 3570.50, Omega Seamaster 300M Chrono 2594.52
rad87gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 11:16 PM   #32
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro Watch View Post
I wonder what rolex thinks of this.
Rolex thinks they are selling watches and they are right.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 11:19 PM   #33
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
That’s to give you time to meet the $25K tablestakes.

I’ll pose a strategy if you really want that Daytona for MSRP (and save the extra $7K from a TRF TS).

Buy a few pieces like DJ, OP or any SS Subs that AD has (to get up to the $25K ante). Then add the Daytona 500 to your shopping cart and put the DJ, OP, etc up for sale.

You’ll cover that minimum purchase requirement and still get a Daytona for close to MSRP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Someone on here did that. I think he bought a TT Sky-D and tried to flip it. From the sidelines, it seemed he had a bunch of scammers to deal with, softer pricing than he expected, etc. I'm not sure how many of these watches he had to buy and sell before he got the Daytona. It was almost like he was a salesman for the AD, getting paid in Daytonas rather than salary.
Old 20 May 2018, 11:21 PM   #34
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Yeah - I wouldn’t do this using a skydweller. Low demand.

Something simpler like DJ/OP/GMT/Sub might work.

I agree the sweat equity isn’t worth it for some.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 11:35 PM   #35
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
Im trying to find a rolex SD43, So I started to call some AD's in the my area. No luck on the SD43, but they did say they had 2 Daytonas a black face and a white face. Told them I would be intrested in the white faced Daytona, but they told me I had to spend at least 25K before I could purchase the Daytona. Is this a common thing with authorized rolex AD's? Sounds like pay to play, I wonder what rolex thinks of this.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Buy the two black dial Daytona then they'll sell you the white dial. They didn't say what you had to spend the $25,000 on. Just act like you don't want them and you only marginally like them and they'll be happy to sell them to you. Obviously you resell the black dials for profit. You can play by their asinine rules and still come out ahead.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 11:38 PM   #36
edweather
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio Illuminator
Slick way to price gouge. Would they be able to do that if they were publicly held, and not private? Just asking. They probably get lots of complaints about the AD stuff, but can easily ignore it.
Old 20 May 2018, 11:40 PM   #37
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faimag View Post
If you have to spend 25K BEFORE spending another 12K on a ceramic SS Daytona (total of 37K), you may as well buy one 116500 from grey and just spend 20K! And party away with the remaining 17K...

This is the way I look at it. Make me buy a watch I dont really want, at a higher price than I can get from gray or on its own at another AD (PM day/date, etc) to buy the one I do want at MSRP? Might as well buy the one I want from gray and spend the rest how I like.

So silly.....

V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 11:43 PM   #38
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
This is the way I look at it. Make me buy a watch I dont really want, at a higher price than I can get from gray or on its own at another AD (PM day/date, etc) to buy the one I do want at MSRP? Might as well buy the one I want from gray and spend the rest how I like.

So silly.....

i still think everyone looks at this backwards. If you have a lot of watches you WANT and are buying from an AD then you should get also get the hot watch first. Anyone buying watches they dont want are idiots. I really dont think that is happening. If you only want one watch, then yeah, you are out of luck as a lot of people do buy lots of watches and watches they want.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 11:45 PM   #39
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
The countless threads on these topics continue to underpin why there will ALWAYS be a secondary market and why the secondary market and Trusted Sellers will ALWAYS have business.
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 11:46 PM   #40
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

You know- it’s just cheaper to pay the secondary price and move on with life.
Old 20 May 2018, 11:47 PM   #41
KKSigua
"TRF" Member

Both of the AD’s I work with really want that “relationship” established. I don’t even think it has to be a lower end watch. My wife loves her jewelry and watches but not like me. I buy a few things for her and it’s show the AD that your potentially vested. You may even find out that 25k min is lower and you find a surprise phone call. Everyone wins in this situation. You get your grail piece, wife is happy with her jewelry and more importantly puts up with our obsession of watches. The AD makes money. Winner all around. Don’t have to worry about Gray market prices.
KKSigua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 11:52 PM   #42
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i still think everyone looks at this backwards. If you have a lot of watches you WANT and are buying from an AD then you should get also get the hot watch first. Anyone buying watches they dont want are idiots. I really dont think that is happening. If you only want one watch, then yeah, you are out of luck as a lot of people do buy lots of watches and watches they want.

It is happening. An AD in my area has offered me a black dial Daytona but has to be "bundled". Offered it to me with a gold or rose gold day date or a blinged out pearlmaster. Never expressed an interest in either of those and certainly do not want them, the Daytona has been at this AD for months with the same offer I am sure being made to others without interest. And I am sure someone will eventually give in, won't be me.

Old 20 May 2018, 11:56 PM   #43
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
It is happening. An AD in my area has offered me a black dial Daytona but has to be "bundled". Offered it to me with a gold or rose gold day date or a blinged out pearlmaster. Never expressed an interest in either of those and certainly do not want them, the Daytona has been at this AD for months with the same offer I am sure being made to others without interest. And I am sure someone will eventually give in, won't be me.

right... im am saying don't do it if you dont want both. The AD is saying thats what it takes to be on the level of customers who do get the watch Those customers do NOT have to buy watches they dont want. They already have watches they do want and a lot of them.

What is wrong is assuming that people getting these pieces are buying stuff they dont want just because its the offer presented to a new customer with no relationship. Sometimes those customers want both watches anyway. If they dont, fine the AD sells the watch to another more established customer. I have never, ever bought a watch i didn't want. I do buy a lot of watches though.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 11:58 PM   #44
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Im trying to find a rolex SD43, So I started to call some AD's in the my area. No luck on the SD43, but they did say they had 2 Daytonas a black face and a white face. Told them I would be intrested in the white faced Daytona, but they told me I had to spend at least 25K before I could purchase the Daytona. Is this a common thing with authorized rolex AD's? Sounds like pay to play, I wonder what rolex thinks of this.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
That’s not terrible... how about a sky dweller white and a submariner(116610)! For the money left over, a pair of waste the money earnings for the wife! I would 100% do that deal.
rolexgiants is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 12:00 AM   #45
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
right... im am saying don't do it if you dont want both. The AD is saying thats what it takes to be on the level of customers who do get the watch Those customers do NOT have to buy watches they dont want. They already have watches they do want and a lot of them.

What is wrong is assuming that people getting these pieces are buying stuff they dont want just because its the offer presented to a new customer with no relationship. Sometimes those customers want both watches anyway. If they dont, fine the AD sells the watch to another more established customer. I have never, ever bought a watch i didn't want.

Then why has it been offered for months? They have relationships with all these people and nobody wants the "bundle"? Clearly all these folks with relationships at this AD, someone has to want both of these by your logic, no? How long would it take to reach all of your "relationships" to make this offer? A day maybe, not months....sorry, gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. It's scummy and while I get it, I dont like it.

Old 21 May 2018, 12:05 AM   #46
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

I have a better deal.. I will pay full retail for the 116519ln— 28.8k and gladly take the 116500–white Daytona for 12.4k. Where do I sign?
rolexgiants is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 12:15 AM   #47
TheRacer
"TRF" Member

Impossible to get the watch in NJ and NY... incredible...same story of the Porsche GT3

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TheRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 12:41 AM   #48
MARGARITATIME
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610lv, 116710BL
The Daytona has always been like this for years in my area. They invented the wait list. The addition of the SS models to the wait list is a relatively new shortage issue. I would buy from TS and be done with it. I tried for over a 6 months to get a few SS models. Never got calls so bought from TS sellers. Paid premium and moved on with what I want to buy next.
MARGARITATIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 12:47 AM   #49
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
As noted 25k is a deal. There’s two ways to look at this.

1) they are ripping you off

2) they are being honest, and to some degree reasonable, rather than playing games

I view it as the latter and prefer it that way vs a guessing game.

Believe me when I tell you there are plenty of customers who’ve spent 25k usd and not been offered one.
Old 21 May 2018, 12:51 AM   #50
TheRacer
"TRF" Member

I’m going to the diamond district today... let’s see

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TheRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 01:22 AM   #51
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by faimag View Post
If you have to spend 25K BEFORE spending another 12K on a ceramic SS Daytona (total of 37K), you may as well buy one 116500 from grey and just spend 20K! And party away with the remaining 17K...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post

In regards to this reference you either play by the AD rules or buy at the grey market premium.

Otherwise, just move on.
Yep.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 02:17 AM   #52
redsubby
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Yeah - I wouldn’t do this using a skydweller. Low demand.

Something simpler like DJ/OP/GMT/Sub might work.

I agree the sweat equity isn’t worth it for some.

Gonna lose quite a bit trying to flip these watches, might as well pay the premium and buy from TS and not have to deal with trying to sell these watches.
redsubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 04:01 AM   #53
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Just pony up the extra 8k and you will be done. A couple of price rises and it won’t feel so bad. Better than buying a bunch of watches you don’t want and you’d probably lose more than 8k on those.

I don’t like it, but it’s either fight the system or accept it and buy the watch you want.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 04:38 AM   #54
Ungucpho
"TRF" Member

I stopped by the Rolex Boutique at the Wynn, the minimum amount was 50k to be able to purchase a Daytona, and the decisions were made by management on who gets the opportunity to purchase a daytona
Ungucpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 04:42 AM   #55
Gary.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
I think it's a common thing for ADs to say just to weed out potential flippers .
The irony is that they are guaranteeing that whoever goes for it is about to flip 25k of watches.
Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 04:46 AM   #56
kearez
"TRF" Member

Seems pretty fair to me.
We all know now how’s the lists work. They are completely interchangeable with previous buying history from that AD which I think is fair.
ADs are always going to give the “hot”watches to there preferred customers who are spending money to keep them happy.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 05:33 AM   #57
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungucpho View Post
I stopped by the Rolex Boutique at the Wynn, the minimum amount was 50k to be able to purchase a Daytona, and the decisions were made by management on who gets the opportunity to purchase a daytona
Ouch...I didn't think they played these games...guess it's just standard practice now...
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 06:22 AM   #58
MinMay
Banned

If I’m operating a business as an AD I’ll probably do the same. Blame Rolex for not producing enough watch. AD needs to sell watches to stay in business.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 06:38 AM   #59
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Ouch...I didn't think they played these games...guess it's just standard practice now...
Ouch times two!
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 06:46 AM   #60
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

I just hope we dont start seeing For Sale watches where the description reads:

FOR SALE NEVER WORN ROLEX

Am not normally a watch flipper, have never flipped one, yet was forced to buy this $25,000 Rolex watch from a Rolex authorized dealer. Am willing to sell it never worn for $24,000 so I can then buy the watch I want from the same authorized dealer.

Do you feel Rolex would think forcing a customer to become a flipper is ok?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote