The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 May 2018, 05:20 AM   #1
Drake3287
"TRF" Member

Purchasing from multiple lists

I have NO intention of buying a second or third watch (BLNR) and flipping it but I have to admit that if and when I'm called from the two different list's I'm currently still on it would be hard to say no when it would be easy money just to flip it.

Is this one of those dirty little secrets no one talks about or does the average person like myself all of a sudden become grey market dealers just for a few easy thousand dollars?

Like I said, I'll politely say no thank you to any ad call's but at the same time it'll sort of be a difficult to say no when it happen's. I'm guessing other's have been in this dilemma.
Drake3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 05:25 AM   #2
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

Have not been in this situation, but I would just politely thanked the AD (after getting my watch from the first AD) and let others enjoy the watch at MSRP. Also, I am too busy to make money by flipping watches...
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 05:27 AM   #3
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Take yourself off the lists then.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 05:27 AM   #4
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
If a Daytona C, Possibly... why not? but not a BLNR, imo
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 05:28 AM   #5
harrymai22
"TRF" Member

I know a couple people who put their name (and full price as deposit) down, then Rolex ships a bunch at once and they end up "stuck" with two. They would love to decline them but the ADs won't allow that - esp since it hurts their ability to log a sale within days of arrival.

Unfortunately that is what happens when ADs force people to put down full deposits and no right of refusal - consumers have to sell to recoup costs and subsidize the other watch, and it's the only way they can get a watch.
harrymai22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 05:31 AM   #6
DubaiRolex2000
"TRF" Member

Very interesting question and quite philosophical.

My belief is most of us are altruistic when we dont habe anything to give away / lose, but when temptations arise we have a good chance to find excuses.

For example I always thouhjt I will do lots of charity, but these days I tend to make excuses saying I should become richer first then give back.

Easier said than done to leave a few grand on the table!
DubaiRolex2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 06:59 AM   #7
riverrat
"TRF" Member

I have been in this situation and could have easily gotten a BLNR just a couple of weeks ago. I was very appreciative and told her thanks but please remove me from the list. And I didn't put down the AD info on here for the exact reason of this post. Id other they sell it to someone local who would appreciate it rather than the possibility of a flipper getting it. Im hoping she'll remember my honesty the next time a watch comes around I want.
riverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 07:12 AM   #8
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiRolex2000 View Post

My belief is most of us are altruistic when we dont habe anything to give
Wise words.

Grasshopper, if you trust yourself, any choice will be correct.
If you do not trust yourself, anything you do will be wrong.

We here on TRF can show you the path, but,
we cannot walk it for you.

Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 07:48 AM   #9
Drake3287
"TRF" Member

I recently emailed both dealers to thank them and to take me off their list. It just got me thinking afterwards how easy it would have been for someone to flip these.
Old 21 May 2018, 07:52 AM   #10
avega357
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT's BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Virgil Hilts View Post
Wise words.

Grasshopper, if you trust yourself, any choice will be correct.
If you do not trust yourself, anything you do will be wrong.

We here on TRF can show you the path, but,
we cannot walk it for you.

Great quotes.....
avega357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 07:55 AM   #11
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
I think it’s the right thing to do, greed is part of the reason for these crazy grey sealer prices. I choose not to play! 20k plus for a ss Daytona, people are out of their F minds!!

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 07:57 AM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Take yourself off the lists then.
Indeed
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 08:00 AM   #13
gt0279a
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Purchasing from multiple lists

With current grey market prices for BLNRs, depending on your states sales tax I would guess you could net a few hundred vs few thousand.

Hardly seems worth it. Let the next person enjoy it.
Rolex Sea Dweller 126600 | Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 | Rolex Sea Dweller 16600 | Rolex Submariner 16610 | Rolex Submariner 1680
gt0279a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 08:05 AM   #14
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake3287 View Post
Like I said, I'll politely say no thank you to any ad call's but at the same time it'll sort of be a difficult to say no when it happen's. I'm guessing other's have been in this dilemma.

Quote:
I recently emailed both dealers to thank them and to take me off their list. It just got me thinking afterwards how easy it would have been for someone to flip these.

Why would they be calling you if you already asked them to take you off the lists?
c41006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 08:21 AM   #15
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiRolex2000 View Post

My belief is most of us are altruistic when we dont habe anything to give away / lose, but when temptations arise we have a good chance to find excuses.

For example I always thouhjt I will do lots of charity, but these days I tend to make excuses saying I should become richer first then give back.

Easier said than done to leave a few grand on the table!
I don’t think being altruistic has anything to do with passing along a Rolex to another buyer. These are pretty high level luxury goods, it’s not like a bread line in a depression.

Of course, I don’t have a problem with someone passing on a watch to let another enthusiast get at it, but the truth is you have no clue if the next on the list is that person. They may turn it around and flip it for a profit.

IMO if you wanna be generous or charitable, buy the watch from the AD, sell it at a fair market value, and donate the profit to your favorite charity.

OR if you wanna just do something nice for another enthusiast, find a suitable buyer here on TRF that truly wants the watch and sell it to them at your cost.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 09:00 AM   #16
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
1. Not worth the hassle to me

2. Why be part of the supply/demand problem?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 10:11 AM   #17
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
I have NO intention of buying a second or third watch (BLNR) and flipping it but I have to admit that if and when I'm called from the two different list's I'm currently still on it would be hard to say no when it would be easy money just to flip it.

Is this one of those dirty little secrets no one talks about or does the average person like myself all of a sudden become grey market dealers just for a few easy thousand dollars?

Well if you have been waiting for a long time, why not make a few bucks? Don’t see anything wrong with that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 10:24 AM   #18
Drake3287
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c41006 View Post
Why would they be calling you if you already asked them to take you off the lists?
It was simply hypothetically if I hadn't contacted them.
Old 21 May 2018, 10:34 AM   #19
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
I would take myself off the list also,and let others get a shot to enjoy
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 11:11 AM   #20
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

why go through the hassle? if you're not careful, the couple thousand $ you thought you were going to make might be $10k loss if you get ripped off. buyer sends you check or wire transfers from an NSF account, but you've already shipped the watch.
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 11:31 AM   #21
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

BLNR purchased @ retail plus tax is not a flippable reference..at least not a profit margin worth the hassle.

Pass on it
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 11:37 AM   #22
Bavariandoc
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
You did the right thing and I would’ve done the same.

Enjoy your watch and let the next person on list get theirs sooner
Bavariandoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 11:40 AM   #23
hbombkid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610
Why not just business.

I would not in this situation I don’t think the profit is there, but if I could make a good profit I would.

Those folks that do it they don’t bother me they either did there homework, spend a ton for the right to buy, or they are lucky.
hbombkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 04:20 AM   #24
DubaiRolex2000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
I don’t think being altruistic has anything to do with passing along a Rolex to another buyer. These are pretty high level luxury goods, it’s not like a bread line in a depression.

Of course, I don’t have a problem with someone passing on a watch to let another enthusiast get at it, but the truth is you have no clue if the next on the list is that person. They may turn it around and flip it for a profit.

IMO if you wanna be generous or charitable, buy the watch from the AD, sell it at a fair market value, and donate the profit to your favorite charity.

OR if you wanna just do something nice for another enthusiast, find a suitable buyer here on TRF that truly wants the watch and sell it to them at your cost.
Fair and valid points
DubaiRolex2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 04:41 AM   #25
Generation
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ36 & BB58
Quote:

Actually, I would say altruism, as defined by Merriam-Webster as "unselfish regard for or devotion to the welfare of other," is the perfect word for deciding to let the next person on the waitlist get the watch he or she wants at MSRP. It's unfair to other customers to hoard rare pieces, and even Rolex is trying to prevent the practice. Sure, anyone can make a couple thousand dollars of easy money by putting his or her name on multiple waitlists all over the map, but it's a selfish practice that only benefits the hoarder. These "bottom feeders" (to borrow a phrase from photographer Ken Rockwell) typically gouge their watches on the gray market or on eBay, which makes everyone wait longer or pay more.
Generation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 04:43 AM   #26
mrblue
"TRF" Member

The statement that this is not a bread line is correct. By the watch, sell for a profit, send profit to a charity. Everybody is happy. I assume many Rolex owners are capitalists.
mrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 04:51 AM   #27
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generation View Post
Actually, I would say altruism, as defined by Merriam-Webster as "unselfish regard for or devotion to the welfare of other," is the perfect word for deciding to let the next person on the waitlist get the watch he or she wants at MSRP.
That's my point.

You don't know who the next person is and what their intentions are. If you want to be sure, buy it yourself and sell it to a true enthusiasts here on TRF, at cost, or sell it and donate the profit to a real charity.

Everyone always says, if you don't want it, "do the right thing" you should pass, but you have no idea who you're passing it on to. I see this place as a community. I'd personally rather be sure it's going to a real enthusiast.

I've both extended and received this exact courtesy here on TRF.
Old 22 May 2018, 04:53 AM   #28
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

unless you are an established dealer you won't be making a few thousand dollars. That is the grey dealer selling price not the price they pay for yours. You might even lose money.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 06:35 AM   #29
Generation
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ36 & BB58
Quote:
That's my point.

You don't know who the next person is and what their intentions are. If you want to be sure, buy it yourself and sell it to a true enthusiasts here on TRF, at cost, or sell it and donate the profit to a real charity.

Everyone always says, if you don't want it, "do the right thing" you should pass, but you have no idea who you're passing it on to. I see this place as a community. I'd personally rather be sure it's going to a real enthusiast.

I've both extended and received this exact courtesy here on TRF.
Not all watch enthusiasts want to buy their watches from someone in a forum, though. I suspect that the majority of Rolex buyers are like me and would only buy their watch from an AD.

Case in point: I'm currently on some waiting lists for my first Rolex. Why should I have to wait longer so someone on TRF can get it first, just so they can extend a courtesy to another TRF member?

Indeed, based on what you wrote, it's still a selfish act, since it seems like you're expecting others to reciprocate ("I've both extended and received this exact courtesy here on TRF").

I was talking to an AD today, and the salesperson said they try to make sure their watches go to the people who will actually enjoy them. This is also what Rolex wants. Why should some self-appointed TRF members be the arbiters of who deserves a new Daytona or Hulk?
Generation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 06:46 AM   #30
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Not all watch enthusiasts want to buy their watches from someone in a forum, though. I suspect that the majority of Rolex buyers are like me and would only buy their watch from an AD.
Fair Point. Although My Point is that you have no clue who the watch will go to next, which you can't really argue.

Quote:
Case in point: I'm currently on some waiting lists for my first Rolex. Why should I have to wait longer so someone on TRF can get it first, just so they can extend a courtesy to another TRF member?
Another Fair Point. However, based on how long most I know have been waiting, and based on how many gray dealers have no shortage of high demand watches, my guess is that the chances of a true enthousiast on the waiting list is 50% or less. just a guess.

Quote:
Indeed, based on what you wrote, it's still a selfish act, since it seems like you're expecting others to reciprocate ("I've both extended and received this exact courtesy here on TRF").
This is just non-sense. I'm not expecting anything. I merely mentioned it to tell you my suggestions can work and works well. I'm extremely appreciative for everything this forum done for me, specifically some members that have extended amazing gestures. There's nothing elfish about the statement. again, Just because I've received some beautiful gestures from some members has nothing to do with selfishness or my expectations.

Quote:
I was talking to an AD today, and the salesperson said they try to make sure their watches go to the people who will actually enjoy them. This is also what Rolex wants. Why should some self-appointed TRF members be the arbiters of who deserves a new Daytona or Hulk?
Circling back, Yes, a lot of ADs are vetting buyers. OBVIOUSLY a lot are not. Simple as that. Overall things are moving in the right directions to get watches in the right hands, but the process is certainly not moving very quick.